Two Frenchmen Can Help Newcastle To Successful Season

Robbie Elliot gave a long interview in the Chronicle yesterday, and the Newcastle-born former player and coach talked about a number of different things, including his shock at Newcatsle’s ineptitude in the summer transfer market, but there were also one or two positive things from Robbie.

ben arfa fulham goal

Ben Arfa – after scoring the late winner against Fulham

Newcastle  were basically one man short of having a fairly useful transfer window in the summer, and the one that got away was Bafe Gomis of Lyon, and it seems from French reports yesterday that the deal was almost signed, sealed and delivered, but Newcastle balked on paying his high wages and Lyon didn’t want to pay him what he was due in the deal, for not asking for a transfer.

So it seems both clubs took a step back after the agreement was reached.

We shouldn’t  forget that Newcastle  brought  in five good Frenchmaen in January,  and that has to be brought into consideration when assessing the summer transfer dealings – so basically we brought in six Frenchmen – four of them Internationals.

One of  the positives Robbie talked about was a couple of our best players – Hatem Ben Arfa, and the midfielder who almost left Newcastle in the summer – Yohan Cabaye.

This is what Robbie said:

“Ben Arfa is a game-changer. I like that.” “Newcastle need to see him on the ball all the time because he makes things happen.” “If he can keep his form then it makes a big difference.”

“He’s great to watch.” “Same with Yohan Cabaye. If he sorts himself out then we have a top-class international midfielder there.”

It seems that Ben Arfa has made an excellent start to the season, and he’s been in good form in all three league games, and the question for Yohan Cabaye is how professional can he now be, and he must concentrate on his football and put his reckless  actions of the summer behind him.

And of course both lads would like to be in the France World Cup squad for next summer’s World Cup in Brazil, and that should help Newcastle.

Having both of these Frenchmen in good form this season will go a long way towards  giving Newcastle a decent season,  and finish in the top half of the league and avoid any relegation scares – like we had last season.

That’s about the best we can hope for at the moment, but we’re willing to be surprised on the upside.

What do you think?

Comments welcome, but please keep them civil.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Santon03

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

so far we are not that bad, we are equal points with 5 other clubs including Manutd and 2 points behind 3rd to 6th position.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

These are big player for us…along with krul, colo and cisse

we are going to need these to stay fit for most of the season to have a good year.

• tails

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

everyone please sign this petition to get ashley out, its already got over 2000 signatures but we need more!

• Transfer Sage

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM

santon

True, not too bad really.

The question is will we be able to maintain it over the course of the season or will one or two injuries ruin our season as we haven’t brought in much quality to the squad as back up.

• Santon03

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

TS

I believe we can, I think we are going to have great season. My standard of great will 6th-8th position.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Santon,
    We are three games in, far too early to even think about anything like that. We have had far easier fixtures than some clubs. only after 10 games will comparing points and league standings become relevant.

• Santon03

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Lilongwe

We had away to Mcity, I don’t call that easy game.

Anyway, I have good feeling this season judging from the 2nd half against Fulham. Myabe we will lose many away games, I think we will have good record on home games this season.

• croftus5678

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

i always hope and prey that we do well ! my team mean the world to me and i hope they win every single game they play even with jk and ashley at the club !

i do agree though atm lots of teams have new players that just joined there teams and will need to settle in but ours are already settled ! a few month’s down the line and we will see how we compare to others (preying all these new signings for other teams are flops)

• Markaccus

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM

In reply to many re my street soccer comments….

I do understand the concept of honing these street derived dribbling skills, but too much focus is put onto the individuality of these kids, and not on integrating these skills into a team set up. The problem that England teams have is that they almost always play as 11 individuals and dont work for each other. The skills are very necesary, but they seem to compete against each other rather than the opposition.

I still think my comment about the moving flat bed was funny :p

• bills-son

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Repost.

Transfer,

I’ve answered more than once in posts.

I think we’ve made a big mistake not signing another CF and a CB but to balance that we haven’t sold a top player – something widely predicted by many posters.

I’m as baffled as any fan by Kinnear’s appointment and there is no doubt it has been a PR disaster and the blame for that lies squarely at Ashley’s door and imo its the worst decision Ashley has made.

However – what this window has proved yet again is that we are not a selling club. Players like Krul, Cabaye, HBA and Cisse could all have been sold for £8M-£12M bringing in a very decent profit – but they are still here.

Am I happy with this summer’s business – no. Do I think its an absolute disaster – no.

The next six games will go along way to setting the tone for the rest of the season. If we are top 8 a lot of the hysteria will die down, if we are bottom 8 or worse still bottom 6 I can see major fan unrest – and Ashley will carry the can.

• Santon03

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

croftus

I don’t think all of them are flops but it’s not easy to settle into new teams , new coaches and new competition.
    Some good players can be flops as well. I look at Torres from Lpool to Chelsea, Ba, AC, Shevchenko, etc. They are good players but having difficulties settling.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM

thanks bills

I think we only never sold as the good offers weren’t there (which proves we aren’t a selling club)…a selling club sells for any profit where as we only take silly offers..like all clubs do, even man utd.

• tails

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

lads please sign the petition, we need to do all we can http://www.change.org/petitions/mike-ashley-sell-newcastle-united-football-club-2

• derekm

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM

off topic but important I think, can everyone going to Steve Harpers game cut Di Canio some slack? He is there for Harper and Sir Bobby, and is an ex Milan player, not manager of the great unwashed.

• tails

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

where is torqtoon? usually he has lots of inside knowledge but ive not seen any comments from him during the latter stages of the transfer window…does he still post on here?

• Faddj

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Totally off topic but would really appropriate everyone’s attention for an up and coming project of mine (I’m a photographer)

So, to celebrate 10 years of being a season ticket holder at this fantastic club, I want to gather a large number of you supporters who have also been a season ticket holder from anytime between now and 10 year ago, I want to hear your memories, your highs and lows, your opinions of this club and the goings on over the past 10 years.

Photographically, by the end of this season I would like to have taken individual images of hundreds of fans wearing any Newcastle shirt from the last 10 years, that includes 3rd kits as well.

I want to welcome fans of all shape, size, age and gender to get in touch if they’d like to be a part of this, no need to be camera shy, this isn’t a fashion shoot, but more of a documentation of the people who have shared the same memories as I have going to St. James’ Park week in week out.

I’m really excited to get going with this, the project will run from now until the last day of this season, so I encourage you all to get in touch so we can arrange a date and a time to have your photograph taken.

Email me at faddjphoto@gmail.com to find out more, I’m not an expert in writing so if non of this makes sense, please feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try clear it up for you!