Where Does Mike Ashley’s Newcastle Go From Here?

Once we knew what squad we had for the coming season, well at least through January, we reran a poll asking where Newcastle would finish in the league,  and most fans think Newcastle will finish in the bottom half of the table.

mike ashley 987

Mike Ashley – needs injection of ambition and inspiration – that’s unlikely

60% of fans think Newcastle will finish between 1th place, and above the relegation zone ( and in 17th place), and that’s the biggest percentage vote for the four different blocks the team could finish in.

Here are the results so far, and there’s still time to vote if you haven’t yet voted.

Where Will Newcastle Finish This Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

We suppose the official position of the club is to finish in the top half of  the table, although we don’t really know, since nothing too specific has been said by Newcastle officials about this season.

But top half will probably be the goal from now on, unless Mike Ashley gets some real ambition for Newcastle United, which seems rather unlikely.

The five year plan that Mike Ashley put in place when he bought the club in 2007, ended last summer – and things looked great at that time – even though we had been relegated in May, 2009 but came straight back up.

Last summer we had just finished 5th top of the Premier League and qualified for Europe for the first time since 2006, and Mike Ashley had even become popular – almost an oxymoron.

But since then everything has gone wrong,   and we just avoided relegation last season when we finished 5th bottom, twelve months after we had finished 5th top.

Where we go from here  is anybody’s guess, but maybe we will do a lot better than we expect before the end of this year – that’s the positive scenario.

There’s always hope, but if we had signed three good players in the summer, the expectations and excitement of Newcastle fans would have been a lot higher than they are now.

Unfortunately,  it seems that Mike Ashley’s lack of ambition for Newcastle, and his apparent unwillingness to spend money to build  the squad into one that can challenge for a top six position,  has reared it’s ugly head once again this summer, and it’s just as evident now as it was last summer.

That’s the negative scenario.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• archaeomag

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Glasgow?

• Black and White with an army lol

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Where Does Mike Ashley’s Newcastle Go From Here?

ermmmm no where

• Black and White with an army lol

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM

it’s simple really, Championship.

• Black and White with an army lol

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:26 PM

my prediction for our next 3 games

Villa 3 – NUFC 0
    NUFC 0 – Hull 2
    Leeds 2 – NUFC 1

• Black and White with an army lol

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM

88 votes for the top 6

i do love jokers on here lol

• Black and White with an army lol

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM

i think by the end of this season i can see both Newcastle & Scumberland in the bottom 3 and maybe Palace

• fatman

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I have been digging into rangers and Ashley someone is bankrolling rangers to the tune of £1m a week, not sure on who, as its not meant to be common knollage there seems to be 3 groups vying for control, but who could have so much money to do it i think its Ashley and could account for the share sale, and Ashley has past form in backing both sides in a two horse race. and the dodgy thing is he could be using someone to bypass Uefa 1 club rule. not quite sure where this would leave us I’m not sure more puzzled. whoever is fronting the rangers money has £104m to burn although i suppose losses will fall when rangers get promoted.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Down in flames in a helicopter crash with any luck .

• wynsleap

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM

black and White @ 2
    Just beat me to it mate.

• fatman

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

And if you don’t like the way i have put the jigsaw together, feel free to pick the bones out of my theory as that’s all it is at the moment.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Villa 2 – 2 Newcastle: Benteke 2, Ben Arfa, Remy

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Any late night readers, or those from other parts of the world want to have an alternative source of Newcastle United news and views, simply click on my name to be brought over to the NUFC Daily. Come one come all! 😀

• lesh

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Where’s to for Ashley? They reckon Damascus is nice at this time of year.

• Schwefelberg

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:09 AM

I’ve just watched an interview with Wang Jianlin of Dalian Wanda.

He says overseas culture and entertainment businesses are top of his shopping list for next investments.

Third on his list is retail.

Sounds like a match made in heaven for SD. (I hope Ashley gives me a broker finders fee % when the deal goes through)

Cut to 02:50 for this juice.

• Santon03

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Santon,
    I don’t think anybody is expecting him to spend his own money, I think were over that now, what we do expect of him though is to be a fit and proper owner of our great club and put in sensible investment, without the fans there wouldn’t be a club.

Sorry for late reply JFA.
    To JFA, Ibiza, TDS, TS, Slank, and others:

Yes, we are forcing him to spend his own money.
    I don’t know if it’s the truth or not about Ashley gave us interest free loan, because it’s not public company therefore no official finance and accounting report on the website to prove it and the fact that it’s already public knowledge then I consider it to be true. The club made little money last year which is about 3-6mil profit that’s including TV, sponsor, etc. (based on article that I read in this blog), so any expenses more than the club made will be using Ashley’s money. It may not be accurate, some articles that I read including Ba sale is said to be 7mil, but we know that we only received about 2million.
    Regarding the petition of Ashley out, I’m with Slank on this. How are you going to force him out without any plans? I’m sorry petition can only work on public owns like government or public company not privately own company/club. Even if you got 1million people signing the petition and you know Ashley’s character, will it change anything? As it stands, we only have 3 games 1lose,1draw, 1win equal points with Manutd, your petition doesn’t have solid ground. I would suggest to wait after 10 games, if the team can’t win more than 2 games then you have better chances, if the team win more than 5 games then you will look stupid for protesting the team doing well. If you want change the ownership then you better have someone with real money to buy ready to takeover, otherwise we will be in much worse situation than now or last season. I think Slank also correct about petition should be stating what are our demands to the owner clearly within reasons, but definitely not asking him to get out, that will be starting a war.

• Santon03

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Also, I think we approached things the wrong way. I believe he tried to make things better in his own way, maybe it doesn’t seem like it to us. You can’t go strength vs strength against person in Ashley position. I suggest after ten games, we need to have 2 or 3 people with cool head representing the fans to meet Ashley. They have to say thank you for what he has done for the club, complement him for doing good job (make him comfortable), then ask him what his ambition for the club, what his dreams are for the club, then present him our demmand (not too much and reasonable). If we barrage him with demmands or ridicule or criticize him, it won’t work and it will be the first and the last time talking to him.

I think the relationship between Ashley and fans went bad after KK incident. Definitely need to repair that and it will be slow process. Even when we finished 5th, no gratitude was shown towards Ashley.

If I were Ashley, I would probably do the same thing.

• Santon03

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM

And person like Ashley definitely don’t like to be compared with previous owners or other owners.

• Slank

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Santon,

I still don’t know what the demonstrators are complaining about. All I hear is ‘Ashley Out’. They seem more interested in getting the person who owns 100% of the club out of his own company. They don’t seem to want to improve the club as all I ever hear is negative threats. Rarely do I hear anything positive. I would be more supportive if I could see tangible evidence that they want to improve the club by putting forward sensible suggestions.

The most effective way to make changes is to put forward positive sensible suggestions in a civilized manner out of the limelight. Once a person or persons goes public it can mean someone has to lose face and that just makes everything that much harder.

I’m just waiting for them to start complaining that Ashley doesn’t wear a suit like the all the other owners of football clubs!

That’s it, I off now.

• bills-son

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Santon03,

You talk alot of sense.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Santon,
    We showed Mike Ashley no gratitude after our fifth place finish, what did you expect us to do , rename a stand after him, try and find enough bronze to make a big fat statue, after nearly being relegated we’d have looked pretty stupid standing in the Mike Ashley stand looking forward to Barnsley a week later.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Bills,
    A bit like Ashley you’ve gone back on your word.

• FatmanJoe

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM

@Ruddy

Cool site. I like how you reply to posters. Ed used to do that on here…

• Santon03

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM

JFA

I meant simple thank you.

• Schwefelberg

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:29 AM

And next time I lend myself money I will increase that percentage up.

Last time it was only 100% I only doubled my own money!!!

What do you think I am — a charity??

Next time I’ll charge 1000% and harsh penalty for late repayment!!

• Santon03

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Let’s say you succeded getting rid of Ashley, that will be warning for future owners not to invest in our club.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Slank,
    If you weren’t sitting in your sun soaked villa you’d realise how pi $$ ed off people were getting, the purpose of these fans groups like time4change is to discuss sensible means of getting our message across, you mentioned the communication and that the club sent their PR people down to the meeting, I have attented two now and they won’t answer questions they have been told not to and actually lied when talking about how much money we spent, you say we mentioned ambition, are the rantings of a deluded old fool who has seemingly disappeared after asking to be judged transfers enough to satisfy you that the club is going places.

• Schwefelberg

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Santon you’re probably right. But I no longer care how far we fall to get rid of Ashley. It’s gone far past that.

Santon even in the 3rd div the club would be for the fans again and we’d move up. Leeds have recovered and will be a prem club soon again.

• bills-son

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Slank,

You’ve hit the nail on the head.

If there are protests against a Government the opposition are sepecific in their complaints and specific in their alternatives.

All the Ashley Out brigade shout is just that – Ashley Out. What happens if he leaves?

Can they guarantee a billionaire owner who will challenge the likes of ManU, Chelsea and City?

Can they guarantee a new owner won’t sell our top players to fund transfers?

Can they guarantee a new owner won’t borrow money to fund transfers?

Can they guarantee anything?

The answer to all of those questions – and many more similar – is a big NO.

As Santon03 says, the protest group stand to look stupid if we are well placed after 10 games which – if our first 11 click – there is every chance we might be top 8.

They would be far better off keeping their powder dry for now and using the time to come up with a far more convincing argument and solution than the feeble Ashley Out shout.

Any protests now will serve no other purpose other than to give the press more reason to pour ridicule on NUFC, undermine the team and possibly even cost us points if the protests take place during matches. What is the point of that?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Schwefelburg,
    I think the unlimited advertising for SD cover the cost of the interest.

• valle

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Regarding the title in this tread… Home to London, hopefully.

• Schwefelberg

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Jail maybe but how the hell do you lend money to yourself? Talk about doubletalk.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Schwefelburg,
    Apart from the Venkys I don’t think we could do any worse, what’s the point of having the worlds 384th richest man in the world if he’s got absolutely no interest in the club whatsoever.
    Bills,
    You keep saying give him time, his time is up, we might get an owner who will sell to fund transfers, wtf is Ashley doing then, because Cabaye never went it cost us the players we needed in vital places, if it wasn’t for the ridiculous values put on Cabaye and Tiote they would be gone.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Schwefelberg,
    The mini accountants have tried to explain it, basically he’s doing himself a favour with the loan and milking it because the last of his supporters are clinging on to the ‘what about the interest free loan’.

• Santon03

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:46 AM

guys

All I’m trying to say is use more tactic to get what you want (not Ashley out, but to invest), use different approach. If we use more civilize manner or polite manner, we will get more things done than barking at Ashley with petition or protests “Ashley out”. You need to remember all big bosses have huge egos.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Bills,
    The united group is now called time4change, which may well imply that Mashley might change his ways and show the fans some respect.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Santon @34 see 35.

• bills-son

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Jail,

I haven’t gone back on any word.

How many timex do I have to say on here thst I’m not happy with the Kinnear appointment, not happy that we didn’t sign at least another CF or CB and that I’ll blame Ashley if we have another poor season?

But – like most fans I expected (but hoped otherwise) that Ashley would sell at least two top players to help fund four or more buys. He didn’t sell any. Whilst that doesn’t make me ecstatic with our lack of signings I don’t see the window as being the absolute disaster that you and others do.

As I’ve said in a previous post you and others who are hell bent on forcing Ashley out have no plan B for who takes over and what happens next.

Plus, you are protesting at the wrong time. If the transfer window was the disaster you all say and other clubs have signed their way into top 10 sides then we should be bottom 6 after 10 games. Start shouting Ashley Out and I’ll listen then.

• valle

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Yah Ahsley is a saint, with his interrest free loans. Ofcourse he should have his money back and it cant go to fast!.

Listen, you got to ask yourself this question. If MA loaned us that moneym why are he in such a hurry to get it back. So much so that it affects our transfer budget so much that we become the lowest spending club in the league? Are Mike Ashley really interrested in Newcastle United, in the sense that he has ambition for us, or is it merely a question of having NUFC remain on the big stage to act as advertising for his other company, sports direct?. If Mike Ashley dont have ambition for Newcastle United, and if he is in such a hurry to get his money back, then neither him nor us, are served with him as our owner. What worries me is that the trends he shows in regard to using us as an advertising board are more and more obvious as each day pass, and yet we have people on this very board defending his mindset. You are free to do that ofcourse, just as I am free to question your alligance. What I would say to Ashley is this… If you buy a football club, you buy something more than just another company to your collection. This company has its own soul, and its loyal customers won’t sit idle by if you dont run it the right way! They will rebell, as is their d*** right!. So if your heart aint in it, get rid, for your sake and for ours.

• Santon03

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM

So far we are acting like angry mobs, this probably what Ashley think of us. What do you do when you see angry mobs? You avoid them.

• yorkymag

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Is It a coincidence that sports direct has grown out of all context since Ashley became involved with the toon
    I’d say mission accomplished and sod all us true fans ,he as no interest in nufc other than as a tool to grow his massive sports business,he will move on to the gers and leave us be as they offer far more commercial advantage than us ,nt long to endure him now but beware of what comes next m think