What A Director Of Football At Newcastle Needs To Do

Since Joe Kinnear came on board in mid-June and immediately embarrassed himself and Newcastle with that talkSPORT interview, things haven’t improved  much, and indeed Joe didn’t produce over the summer, even though he told us he would be a terrific Director of Football for Newcastle, although few fans believed him.

joe kinnear 1234

Joe Kinnear – didn’t get the job done in the summer

And given the personality of owner Mike Ashley, we’ve often thought this summer about what a good Director of Football should be doing on Tyenside.

They are responsible for bringing in players to the club at all levels, so they need to be good negotiators and professional in their dealings with other clubs, where they often will be interfacing with the Chairmen and Presidents of  other clubs.

But because of Mike Ashley’s tendency to be a  little bit miserly, he should be able to have some influence  with Mike on how much money the owner  is willing to pay out in terms of fees and wages.

But Mike Ashley has the last say – and we heard that after an agreement was reached with Gomis to move to Newcastle in early August,  we went back in and asked Bafe to take a wage cut – and while Joe can be blamed for that – it was Mike Ashley who made that decision.

But the other thing that is sorely missing at the top and has been since Ashley bought the club over six years is communication with the fans in terms of what we are trying to do, what a potential five year plan or a two year plan is – or do we have any plans at all to guide Newcastle in the future?

What in essence are we trying to do to become a top club in England again – or are we even trying to become a top club?

We’ve given up on Mike Ashley doing the communication since he just doesn’t talk to the fans at all, and it’s been pointed out by some of the media people at Newcastle that  Roman Abramovich at Chelsea doesn’t communicate with fans either.

But Roman does his talking by paying out the money to get top stars into the club – something that Mike Ashley cannot be accused of.

So the Director of Football has to be a good communicator with Ashley, the Newcastle fans, and with the other clubs as he tries to bring good players to Tyneside – and he needs to be able to communicate and talk to Newcastle fans about what he is trying to do for the club.

And of course a top priority is that he has an excellent knowledge of players in Europe at all levels and has the contacts to go with that.

It would also help if he has some past positive links with the club – and maybe a former player like Les Ferdinand would fit the bill?

It’s debatable who would do a good job at Newcastle, but most fans have already given up on Joe Kinnear – who just hasn’t got the right personality to do what’s needed at Newcastle.

Who do you think would be a good Director of Football for us?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Ed
    Sir les? Sir les or any other former legend would work Ashley in fact most are speaking out and saying he needs to go…..

As for what JFK needs to do……..retire…..immediately

Ashley’s transfer business

Spoof
    Tbh the finnances really don’t bother me, both sides of the Ashley camp can twist the figures to suite there own arguement but to see in black and white that he’s actually in a profit on transfers since buying the club, and go on to spend £2 million in the window is a disgrace

Sad thing is we only needed to spend £10-15 mil to be sound £5-6 mil for De Jong £5-6 mil for Alderwield £5-6 mil for Sinclair we’d be in great shape
    Don’t understand it especially when we bid £10 mil for gomis! Is it simply a case we don’t scout broadly enough? Do we not have a suitable amount of targets? Or does he bid for players knowing they won’t sign or if there’s a danger they will he pulls the plug on the deal (gomis/koné)

• spitfire_

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM

What A Director Of Football At Newcastle Needs To Do

Kill himself is a good start.

• Spoof

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I don’t think anyone could succeed, if as with Gomis you have to persuade the player to take a pay-cut on what was an already agreed wage then the DOF has no chance what-so-ever of succedding

• Spoof

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Tads

ordinarily the accounts don’t bother me either, and as you quite rightly say they can be altered to suit a certain view, but to me based on their published accounts with the certainty about the Sky cash then I have to admit that it is now starting to nark me, how much he is creaming off us is unknown, but it has to be quite a sum, and as you say with your spending the chances are he would still be in pocket but we would be so much stronger, but we are where we are and come January if we are in a relegation battle then he will strengthen, if not we will probably have to wait till the following January’s league table position to see if we will strengthen then.

• fatman

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Take a trip to Switzerland, jump off a cliff, tall building, bridge, take an overdose, jump under train, bus, fast car, feed great white sharks by hand, drop a heater in his bath, stick his tong in a power socket, if i forgot any feel free to add them.

• fatman

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Go into the middle of Gaza city and sing rivers of Babylon.

• Spoof

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

fatman

is he to do all that at the same time lol

all he really needs to do is forget about attracting players as Ashley will not release the necessary cash to purchase them, and then concentrate on trying to attract a new owner who might give him half a chance to actually bring some players in, so come on Joe, get yourself off to Saudi.

• Coach

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

It’s a good article and sums up why teams like Spurs have a DOF. Unfortunately, the article shows every strength that Franco Baldini has and every strength Joe Kinnear imagines he has.

There are some areas where I feel the need to defend Ashley (not many, I admit), but I can’t see why he tolerates this embarrassing imbecile at all.

• fatman

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

tell Al-Qaeda you want to star in a movie

• Rooster

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Start being straight, all of them lied through their teeth in that last window, it is sickening me what they did.

• fatman

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Theirs an old saying you can trust a thief, but no one can trust a liar

• Spoof

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Coach

don’t take this the wrong way, I am not suggesting that Joe is good at his job, heaven forbid anyone who does suggest that, but in fairness to him could Baldini succeed if he had the same restraints that Joe has, the same argument applies to Pardew, neither he nor Joe have a cat in hells chance with Ashley ruling the roost.

I really do feel that everything Newcastle should be put on the back burner until we have an owner who gives them a chance.

• fatman

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM

well I’m off finally on my way for an operation i have had to fight for three years for, i was warned its risky, so if all the light go out in Cairo and loads of welsh dogs start barking between 3-7pm they were correct, if not i will catch up hopefully in a few days.

• martoon

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Best of luck with the op Fatman
    Anybody see this
    Maybe we dodged a bullet there.

• outsidethebox

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

tds ..have to agree no one knows the figures …my take is the free advertising is a big plus for ashley …his wedge went up more than the cost of nufc last year ..still ascertain only way to hit ashley is thru his shops (cue for ed to put new post online )conspiracy theories abound now …
    fatman ….keep on positive note …keep off blog till you are better

• Rotonda heights

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

hasn’t this thread been done like a 100 times now all with an ever so slightly different headline each time!

We all know we’ve got a sub par imbecile for a D.O.F, along with a tactically out of his depth manager and a super tacky sponsor.

It’s not exactly moving on from a situation we’re stuck with and just have to make the most of. Analysing it to death isn’t going to change anything unless you personally have the ear of Mashley and even then would he listen?

• Rotonda heights

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

good luck fatman

• numba9

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Pressure needs to build on this so called owner he is running it like a car boot sale and pocketing all our and sky cash and investing nothing to the football team . all these excuses about agent and player demands are plain lies all other clubs with lesser finance buy much more than us

• Coach

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Spoof@12
    I agree with you up to a point. Neither Baldini nor AVB would have touched our jobs with a barge pole and if I try to imagine that they had, they wouldn’t be as successful as they will probably be at Spurs. I’m confident that they would be more successful that Kinnear and Pardew though.

• BandB

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Rotanda,

Let’s talk about something else.

How our new signings will fit in ?
    Our transfer targets for the winter?
    Tactical changes Pardew might employ?
    Who will play the Jonas role on Saturday?
    Travel plans for the next European tie?
    How our lads might fare for England tonight?
    An “our best goals of the season” poll?

I’m open to any suggestions.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

TADS

In response to your post yesterday, I still haven’t seen or heard of a campaign that is even close to my position on the club. Maybe there is one and it’s just drowned out by all the ranters and ravers but I haven’t seen it. If there’s a website you can direct me to that states what they are actually trying to achieve then I will happily lend my support for change

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Find the nearest bridge and throw himself off it .

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

TDS
    It’s easy enough to find I genuinely think you just don’t want to and are similar in the bills stance of ‘but what if’
    As I said to have several club legends, local journo’s, regular meetings set up, minutes published on there twitter, mentioned in articles in the chron/journal and a steadily growing support group deserves a bit more than to be dismissed as tinpot when by your own admission know little to nothing about them
    As I said yesterday direct your questions about them to MacToon, it’s not up to me to convince you, and it’s not up to them, if you genuinely still need convincing that change is needed then there probably not for you and you are not for them

Also Transfer Sage has highlighted in several posts what there all about

• Dekasalya

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I think that JFK is exactly the Director of Football that Ashley wanted. Too full of himself to identify an landable bargain, too bizarre and obnoxious to land a decent (but costly) signing and too dependent on the will of his boss ever to disagree.

If it is true that Ashley was annoyed at having to spend money last January, he can probably rest assured that JFK would not be able to spend even if he was given money.

As its is, I am still sure the old boy is really a glorified drinks waiter who is used largely as the butt of Ashley’s jokes. Can’t think what else he use him for, really.

• Pokat

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Answer to blog title – be able to put his socks on unassisted

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

TDSarf

There is an umbrella group that encapsulates the views of all the various fan groups with the single goal of getting Mike Ashley out of the club.

You may be worried about what may come after Mike Ashley, as are many fans, but these guys, who represent thousands of people by the way, are coming together for that single aim. They are putting in hours upon hours of work in trying to formulate a plan for the future of our club and I would strongly advise getting in touch with them.

If you would like to get in touch with MacToon about Time4change he can point you in the right direction. You can contract him at maoc@hotmail.co.uk

I heard the NUFC Daily is where all the blog cool kids hang out….just saying 😉

• Blackley and Brownlie

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

B&B

Sorry about the delay in coming back to you. This blog moves on at such a pace, I get lost off at times.

I see Ruddy’s created his own blog. I never got to the bottom of who came up smelling of roses with that thing he had going on with Ian and whether Ed vouched for one or other’s claim to truth. Has the creation of his new blog got anything to do with all that?

Anyway, I’m happy with your suggestion to go by Blackley rather than B&B, especially if you are worried that my views might be picked up as yours. As it is, my views are most similar to Bill-son’s, perhaps because we’ve both been around the block along time.

To answer your question about why I got banned from the other site. The lad left in charge of the blog hammer used to like to ride the coat tails of a certain controversial poster, who ran a Reality Train. They both liked to ridicule certain others who were not aboard. I would mock them, and satirise their views. They couldn’t take a large dose of their own medicine, and that was that. Everyone who disagrees with the lad with the blog hammer has to take it, but then tread carefully when they reply. It seems I didn’t tread carefully enough.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Blackley

Frustration at Ed’s lack of action, coupled with a desire to create rather than comment led to the creation of my own blog. We may have disagreed a lot but your comments, feedback and even criticism would be most welcome.

• MacToon

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

It seems to me that our very own Bills is clearly suffering from stockholm syndrome.
    Again my role is overstated tads but thanks all the same, nice to see you are so clued up on matters up here.
    #Time4Change is greater than an individual or one group, it’s out there and growing by the day. My time is precious so please don’t waste it 😉

• MacToon

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I’ll ask Maoc to plug your blog on their FB if you want Ruddy?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM

MacToon

You know me, I’ll even go back on my word if it means plugging myself 😉 In all seriousness it would be very much appreciated MacToon, you’ve been a massive help lad thanks.

• BandB

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Blackley,

Thanks for getting back.
    As you see, Ruddy has answered for himself already.
    This blog has had its fair share of run-ins between the Sods and Mockers over time. Happily, terms like moron and cretin aren’t being bandied around much now.
    I’d like to say I’ve been around the block a few times too. But I will have to resist.
    I think one BandB is more than enough. Cue hilarious put-down………….
    Thanks again.

• toon kk

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM

It will serve MA right when we’re back in the championship.
    Shame for the fans though, we care more than he does.

• Belfast

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Ed,
    You’ve got some virus on your site mate, that keeps attacking me.

I’m starting to think it’s a conspiracy to get rid of me lol

• MacToon

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Been getting virus’s and adaware for a long time now from here Belfast, I thought Ed had tidied it up though. Most recent is some program wanting to download on laptop!
    Had a run in with your biggest fan last night too!

• Carryingcoals

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Ruddy

Link to your blog please?

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

TADS

Why so confrontational? It’s the habit of fans attacking other fans that makes it difficult for some of us to get involved.

It’s not easy enough to find it when I don’t even know what it’s called!

I’ve seen a few groups and as I said, every one of those seems like a tinpot organisation. Clearly I can’t comment on a group that I haven’t seen and I haven’t done that!

• martoon

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Belfast – This site quite often seems to have trojans or whatever. I have Kaspersky at home which moans like hell about Trojans on some of the pages. At work I have Mcafee which never flags any problems.

• Belfast

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Aye same here, keep getting a message your browser has been locked etc etc The whole laptop freezes.

It’s only on here it happens.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Ruddy

Thanks for the information. It’s a little ridiculous getting slated for not supporting something that I’d never even heard of!

1 2 3 6