The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We’re Good Mates – But I Want His Place In The Side

9:38 am, Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Rob Elliot joined Newcastle a couple of years ago from Charlton Athletic, and he seems to have improved a lot at Newcastle, and is now a very capable deputy for number one goalkeeper Tim Krul, and last season Rob made a number of first team appearances with Tim out injured,  and played very well in those tough last few games of the season.

rob elliot newcastle

Rob Elliot – played well for Newcastle last season

Tim had that dislocated shoulder he picked up in the second half against Sunderland,  but he has now recovered and is back between the sticks for Newcastle, although he didn’t get the call up for the Dutch side for the recent World Cup qualifying games.

Rob Elliot knows he’s currently number two but will keep fighting for his place:

“Tim’s a top keeper – he’s the number one – but I’m not here just to sit on the bench.” “I’m here to push him. That’s what I did all pre-season, and I was disappointed, to be honest with you, not to start the season.”

“I had a chat with the gaffer and he said ‘Tim is the No1, so you have to accept that’. I just said I want to keep training, keep working hard and prove that I can hopefully get into the team.”

“Obviously, Tim has been fantastic, as he usually is. All I can do is back it up when I get a chance to play, and keep doing well in training.” “We are good mates anyway, so there’s nothing nasty there.”

“Tim knows I work hard, and I want to get in the team, and he knows he has got to keep me out.” “As long as we are both putting in performances like we have been doing recently, that’s all we can do.”

If Tim gets injured we know Rob can come in and get the job done, but Tim will need to be at the top of the game this season if he is to keep his place.

Almost every time Rob plays in the first team he does very well, which was true in the Capital One Cup at Morecambe a couple of weeks ago, when the Greenwich-born player made two outstanding saves in the first half to keep Newcastle in the game.

Rob’s been an excellent acquisition from Charlton.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Capital One Cup · Newcastle News · Premier League · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Himanshu Dhingra // Sep 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Repost

Saying again

Won’t be surprised to see some one get mysteriously injured to make way for Pardew’s favorites.

Only to be back next week on the bench .

• 2 Himanshu Dhingra // Sep 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Newcastle’s Home grown players

Sh.Ameobi, Dummett, Elliot, Gosling, Krul, Tavernier, R.Taylor, S.Taylor, Williamson.

We cannot recall shane ferguson, Ryan taylor cannot play, James Tavernier don’t know how much will he play.

Gosling ?

• 3 BandB // Sep 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Jail,

Not going to the testimonial, but would have liked to very much. We didn’t get to the cricket you know! I think he wont commit to anything that interferes with a half-hourly supply of tea. Luckily he paid, otherwise his tea drinking days would be over.

• 4 Assam Toon // Sep 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Elliott at present is not yet in that league. and we are lucky that a homegrown krul came long so well. another owner would have bought a top class goalie, better distributor and reader of the game. but accepting krul as a top dog, we have no cover for him. its hardly the given-harper scenario.

• 5 Lachu // Sep 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Assam , it wud be unfair to compare them with given-harper .. as given is a premier league winner and harper is a local lad … These guys have only a couple seasons top flight exp … i think GK is one department or te only dept we are strong

• 6 Cool Hand Luke // Sep 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I actually prefer Ellot, purely for his quick accurate distribution setting up counter attacks. The opposition are able to amble back into their own halves when Krul holds the ball for ages. It would put teams off throwing too many bodies forward if they knew that there was a higher chance of getting caught on the break. Elliots handball out of the box was the sort of thing a keeper does once in his career and doesn’t do again.

• 7 roy // Sep 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM

If Bale is worth 80 million how much would Harpers testimonial team of shearer etc be worth today?

• 8 James RS // Sep 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I agree with Assam Toon Elliott is not in the Krul league yet. Krul is a far better reader of the game than Elliott; far braver and a better shot stopper too . In fact Newcastle’s dodgy run towards the end of last season came once Krul got injured. Elliott tries hard but not quite there yet and the fact he is one of Pardews favourites worries me a bit. Elliott is not even as good as Forster so we must still be weaker on the goalkeeper front.

previous post: Newcastle Player Shows Professionalism – He’s Been Terrific