Pardew Could Turn Out To Be Right About Last Season

It seems that Shola Ameobi was carrying a knock  on Saturday and was not available for the game at Villa Park, but every other player was fit and ready to play, and if we can keep our players fit this season, we should do very well, and if we can keep playing in the 4-3-3 formation, then so much the better.

Alan Pardew at Rangers shouting

Alan Pardew – has Newcastle playing well again – now that he has all his best players fit

Newcastle looked a good attacking side on Saturday,  and with Yanga-Mbiwa fitting in well at center-back alongside Fab Coloccini, we also looked solid in defense, with both full-backs, Debuchy and Santon, also having good games.

But there is competition for places in almost every position on the field now,  and the players who start the games know that, and they cannot afford to have any dips in form, otherwise they can be replaced in the next game – and that’s exactly how it should be.

Alan Pardew has again talked about his team, this time in the Chronicle, and he’s right to say the team on Saturday looked very good  going forward:

“We just looked like a team which was carrying an offensive threat.” “I have been saying all along, it makes a heck of a difference to a team when it thinks it can score goals.”

“This team can score goals now – we have Remy, Papiss, Gouffran, Sammy Ameobi, Marveaux and Cabaye.” “Suddenly, we look a side which can get the other side on the back foot.”

“We did that on numerous occasions in the first half. Of course, in Hatem Ben Arfa, we have a player who is unplayable.” “I have been saying since Demba left we have not really carried that offensive threat.”

“Loic gave us that. He gave us that bit of quality. He did a fantastic job in terms of the role in the team he had.” “I know we have had a lot of criticism playing the shape we do when we play the five – with the two wide players up the top of the pitch.”

“However, when it works, and it did work when we finished fifth, it works well.” “We won six on the trot with that system. It is something we have to get right home and away this season.” “It looks like everybody will train this week apart from Shola.”

“The new fitness regime and our medical team – everybody – have worked really hard to improve that. That is reflected in the performance.” “I had Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi and Gouffran all on the bench. It makes a huge difference when you have the best players available.”

It looked like Alan Pardew’s  game plan worked almost to perfection on Saturday, and while the Newcastle manager doesn’t always get it right, he does get his game plans right more often than not.

And it’s true that Alan has taken a lot of criticism this year, but hey – all we want to see is Newcastle successful again – and we hope Alan Pardew can pull that off for us this season.

Why not?

The main thing is to have Newcastle come back big time this season, and while it’s admittedly  very early days at the moment, the signs are there that we can have a good season, and that’s something that looked a long way away at the end of our first match at the Etihad Stadium.

But since then we’ve scored three goals in the league and only conceded one, so our defensive record, which was terrible last season is now decent at 5 goals conceded in our four league games.

And with Loic Remy adding a threat down the left wing, to complement Ben Arfa down the right wing, we could even start to score a lot more goals soon too.

A key to the season will definitely be  to keep are best players fit,  and when you look at all the injuries we had last season  and all the extra games in the Europa League, we just didn’t have the cover or depth of squad to participate in all those games.

But we also corrected a lot of that deficiency in January with five new players and added Loic Remy this summer, and the players are now used to the Premier League since all six have played in the PL since early this year – and it’s starting to show.

There’s no doubt that three wins on a row in all competitions has raised the spirits of the Newcastle fans – and that’s great – so lets hope we get a good turnout on Saturday, and we could even get another win against Hull City.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Ciaran

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM

For God sake I have read that quote in about 10 different articles now.

• kilcline

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM

4-3-3 is the way forward, especially away from home, we have a bit more pace on the break with Remy now.

Gomis to come in and be a real target man and then Ince to challenge for one of the wing spots.

Kets mum is a right little devil lads.

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM

The key to this season is keeping our players fit and healthy, playing players that are on form and playing them in their strongest positions.

If Saylor, Jonas and Tiote come back into the starting 11 they have to earn their way back and then produce the performances that are good enough for them to keep their places

• kilcline

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Jack butler

Agree, Tiote might benefit from the new fitness regime, he was the best defensive mid in the premier when we came 5th, hoping the competition and the regime can get him back to that. He never came back right after the ACON.

• DevonToon

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM

We do have one world class player imo… super coloccini! Its a shame for him he aint 28 cos he would be at barcelona now

• kilcline

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Devon toon

Armstrong will be our next class playter mate, lad is rolls royce of a player! Scored again tonight i think.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

JB

The reason I call them tinpot is that they couldn’t organise a p*ss up in a brewery. It’s like The Judean People’s Front from Monty Python, Life of Brian.

There have been several groups going for ages and they haven’t actually done anything. Now this time4change appears as an umbrella group and I haven’t even been able to get any information on them beyond the absolute basics.

Mark my word, support for these groups will disappear if we have a good season. I’m all for getting MA to engage with the fans better and I’d be happy if we attracted a more ambitious owner, but the message from most of these groups is puerile. They would be better devoting that energy to getting behind the team than what most of them do.

If time4change can do something relevant then I’ll be happy to hear about it and lend my support if I agree with it.

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM

kilcline

The good thing now is that Anita and Remy are playing well and will keep both of them out of the side so they will have to raise their game to get back in and that competition for places will force all four of them to produce their best.

Saylor is a liability in my eye’s and his actions against City were inexcusable but barring injury or suspension he wont get a chance of starting on a regular basis now as Mapou and Colo are both mikes ahead of him

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Devon Toon
    I got sent a beta test version of fifa 14 on Xbox for career mode didn’t think we were rated that badly tbf, end of first season benny was 84 debs was 83 mbiwa was 84 santon was 81 cabs was 83 gouff was 80 remy was 82
    Little tip though first signing, Douglas Costa you can get him for £8 mil, start of first season he was 78 by the end of the season he was 88!!!

• askar

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:10 PM

@Ruddy: what do you thing about this please?

JK pronunciation:
    – Yohan Kebab,
    – Hatem Ben Arfi
    – and Sammy Amamomi

🙂 🙂

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM

JB
    Spot on mate there shouldn’t be a single player with a guaranteed starting place in the squad

Tiote needs to find his discipline again, now the yellow card thing, but his actually footballing discipline, he’s not calm and confident anymore, heavy touches and giving away possession on our own half he needed this reality check I think

I think guti will be a better player this season playing with a reduced role
    Taylor shouldn’t be given a spot because of his accent!
    I’d even throw cisse in there, the lad needs to up his game because remy and goofy are chomping at the bit!

• Ciaran

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Askar

What do I think about Joe Kinnear’s appointment as Director of Football and his infamous interview on TalkSPORT?

World class 😉

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM

ToonDarnSarf

The groups are currently liaising with the local authorities to ensure that everything is above board. It will not be the regular 14 year old’s screaming in front of the camera’s that we see on Sky Sports News. It will be concentrated and concerted effort to force a change at the top, it will be done in the right way and not come across as a group of pi**ed off fans spoiling for a fight

As for support for these groups disappearing?

Don’t count on that happening as the mood has changed, there are only so many times you can treat you paying customers with utter contempt before they say ‘Enough’s enough’.

These groups are not going to simply go away as Ashley has pushed too far this time.

• jimiley

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM

As soon as we get the Pardew stalwart Jose Gutierrez in the forward line there will be no stopping us!!!

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM

tads

I think Cisse needs to have his confidence rebuilt, he was living off scraps and half arsed passes last season.

Personally I’d give him 10 games to show he’s improving or pull him

• askar

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Ruddy: 😉 good point! JK is a world class legend. Kebab or Amamomi, what else? 🙂 🙂

• MacToon

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM

A bit heavy reading but seems behind the idea of #Time4Change and more importantly 100% in favour of fan ownership. He doesn’t see it as “tinpot” groups but tries to understand what they stand for and also sees the relevance of Stockholm syndrome.
    For some vocal ignorance is more important.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM

JB
    Can you afford to keep an off form CF playing for 10 games if his form doesn’t pick up when you have 2 other CF’s look like there hungry to get a chance to show what they can do?
    I’m not sure you can give him that long

• Ciaran

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

JB

If you’re interested, I’ve wrote a little article about Papiss Cisse, you could give it a little gander 😉

• MacToon

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

JB, will you be attending any home games this season? (not a loaded question btw)

• Harley

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Ha ha judean people’s front. Class!!

I’d love to see pardew succeed as our manager. I’ve always said he’s a good bloke and nothing I’ve ever witnessed has made me feel different.

I’ve questioned his ability before but as an ambassador for nufc he’s great.

A striker and a winger in jan to replace obertan and gosling (who we just don’t need) and we have an amazing squad.

I’d love to see Ba back much more than gomis.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM

JB

Thank you for actually addressing my post rather than twisting facts and spouting the same old rubbish.

Many of the groups are as I described them. I know time4change are trying to be an umbrella group and if they manage it then I’ll be interested to see what they are going to do.

I’d welcome a new owner but the key thing in getting one is to attract one. I know that’s one of the aims of time4change so I’d be interested to see how they want to go about it.

• HAZZY1

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I hope MA does what he done last year in Jan im hoping for UK talent id be happy with Ince, Rhodes/Long, Hughes, Byram/Naughton, and a young CB if Streete or Good don’t make the grade im hoping they will there is pos 5 new players most r young with sell on value just what MA likes?

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM

tads

I’m not convinced by Gouffran playing as a striker to be honest and Remy’s pace and skill on the left of a front three is something we need so I wouldn’t move him away from that position as we have no one to replace him so we’d be weakening one position to hopefully fill another leaving us in the same position we are in now.

If Cisse is pulled now it could do him more harm than good, it’s a difficult one to manage to be honest but his form when he first joined us was no fluke and Pardew needs to do whatever it takes to get him back to his best

• Ciaran

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM

As for spurious references to Monty Python? He’s clearly got damn all else to go on, so plays to the gallery to try and make people laugh to cover up how lacking in substance his comments are. Sad really.

Pretty sure we all want Pardew to succeed, I for one, am critical of him not getting the resources to put out attacking teams on a more regular basis.

• DevonToon

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Tads – iv never touch career. . . But the standard seasons and UT stats are hard to accept, even with my toon goggles off… not just nufc players either EA just dont have a clue

• Ciaran

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Pretty sure he thanked me the other day for saying pretty much the exact same thing. So he clearly isn’t taking anything on board.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Fan ownership is a non starter. No way will fans club together £250M to buy the club.

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM

MacToon

No mate, not putting my hand in my pocket again while Ashley is in charge, I’ll be at the Cardiff and Swansea games. It’s gonna kill me not to come up but but I’ve had a tit full now

• Ciaran

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I wonder if he has researched the ins and outs of fan ownership and how it can be implemented before categorically dismissing it off hand? Given how the likes of Shelvey, RvW et al weren’t worth pursuing on the basis of 4 games I would venture that his research has been sparse at best…

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Devon
    Fair enough mate
    The FUT mode seems a bit better, but defo have a crack at career mode this time they’ve done it right up!

• HAZZY1

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM

JackButler I agree about cisse I feel he needs to be played more central for a min of 10 games in a row just to c if he can regain any form Remy and Ben-Arfa will defo supply good service all he needs is the ball along the deck so he can just strike the ball without thinking to much thats his main problem he is a poacher not a forward. If u watch his goals from the first game he played for those 13 goals he never once had brake stride or think what to do?

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

ToonDarnSarf

It’s not spouting the same old rubbish mate, it’s simply a reaction to what is happening to the thing I love

If you want to call anyone out for spouting the same old rubbish try looking at Pardew and Ashley 😉

As for ‘I think it’s ridiculous to say that MA has pushed too far this time though. I don’t think he’s actually done one thing majorly wrong, just several things that have been odd decisions or poorly executed.’

We are talking about the same Mike Ashley aren’t we?

• Ciaran

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Folks, between the end of last season and the start of this season, Cisse hasn’t scored in 10 league games. Is that good enough? He’s had his chance, he should be benched within the next 3 games max if he doesn’t start scoring, or looking sharper.

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM

HAZZY1

Exactly mate, with and on form HBA and Remy either side of him Cisse will at last get the service he needs

• Ciaran

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM

JB

Quit twisting his words to make them suit your own argument. You do nothing but spout the same old Ashley out rubbish. Mikey has done nothing wrong, you’re all just being mean to him.

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Ciaran

6 of those ten games was with a very poor side who couldn’t create a real chance if they were the only 11 on the pitch.

Give him our first 10 games and if he hasn’t improved after that then there are no excuses and he should be pulled, also it’s not as if we have another 20+ striker waiting to come in to replace him

• HAZZY1

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM

JackButler Just watched his goals when first joined boy I miss those feelings that every time he gets in the box if we find him its a goal im sure its because pards as asked to be a better all round player coming deep to collect and he is confused about which pos he should be in im hoping now we r back to a good attacking 433 he will get back to what he is good at and why we bought him

• HAZZY1

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM

My only gribe about strikers is campbell if he is as good as they keep bragging then why not play him he is fast and good finisher I believe and he is old enough to be proving himself now?

• JackButler

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM

HAZZY1

He was unstoppable then and can be again if given time