17 Year-Old Prospect Impresses For Newcastle U21 Side

The Newcastle United U21 side, which included a number of  players  with first team experience, could only draw 1-1  with Everton at St James’s Park last night, and the Newcastle goal was scored by 17 year-old Adam Armstrong, who is an exciting local prospect  at the club.

adam armstrong 99

Adam Armstrong – top young prospect at Newcastle

The game gave a chance for some of our players to get some match practice, and players like  Dan Gosling, Paul Dummett, James Tavernier, Sammy Ameobi and Haris Vuckic all got a run-out.

But it was 17-year-old Adam Armstrong, who put the home side went ahead just before half time, with a tremendous goal,  after good work from both  Vuckic and Adam Campbell.

And Newcastle were then guilty of missing lots of chances, and paid for it when Hallam Hope equalized for Everton in the 70th minute.

There’s still a good chance that some of the players who saw action last night will go out on loan this season.

Players like Haris Vuckic, Adam Campbell and James Tavernier need to play first team games, but Adam Armstrong will remain at the club, as he gets more experience playing in the Newcastle U21 side,  at such a young age.

Adam has been compared to Wayne Rooney, because of his style of play and his build, and that cannot be bad.

This is the Newcastle side that played last night.

Jak Alnwick, James Tavernier, Paul Dummett, Gael Bigirimana, Lubomir Satka, Macaulay Gillesphey, Haris Vuckic (Rolando Aarons 83), Dan Gosling, Adam Campbell, Adam Armstrong, Sammy Ameobi.
Subs not used: Heardman, Mitchell, Gilliead, Quinn

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Slank

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Repost

I’m always puzzled when fans criticize Ashley saying he doesn’t communicate with them but then they go on to say that he lies to them.

How does someone who doesn’t communicate lie?

• Slank

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Hatem’s better than Messi

‘.. Pardew said we couldn’t compete with Norwich or Southampton in the transfer market..’

Yes, that may be true but it doesn’t mean that they are better than us.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM

How does someone who makes money from kids in sweatshops sleep at night?

• Goodfella

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Repost

Hatem
    That’s just excuses from Pardew to cover fat mikes greediness 🙂
    Qpr have more money than us yet I wouldn’t say they are a bigger club than us.

• numba9

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Couldn’t compete or wont? There lies the answer

• Hatem's better than Messi

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Zero hour contracts, helping promote Wonga … he’s a £ucking angel.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Hatem…Comfortably and without conscience?

Slank…There lies the art of Ashleys lies…he has other people do it for him. By design? Nah, it’s just a coincidence that there is always someone to take the flak 🙂

As for Pardews comment on the previous thread…he’s talking about the media reaction to the loss, not the reaction to the transfer window. Truth is, the reaction to the loss was amplified by the reaction to the window.

Hard to stay positive after last season and when we hadn’t seen too much change…why would we think brighter things are around the corner?

Since then there has been a vast improvement, but we are still waiting for the next curveball, likely in the form of injuries to key players.

Just hope the manager and players can keep the confidence up as that is most of the battle as far as I am concerned.

• Slank

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Hatem’s better than Messi @ 6

So do you think the Queen is a ‘£ucking angel’ as Buckingham Palace uses them?

What about McDonalds, Subway, Burger King, Domino Pizza, Weatherspoons, or perhaps Boots or even the National Trust, The Tate Galleries and many charities?

• Ian Toon

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Re Post

Who knows the ‘feelgood factor’ might catch on, on here!
    So it’s only four games and it might be short lived, what with two tough consecutive away league games after The Hull game. However the way i see it is that it sure beats the doom and gloom of last season.

Reading some posts on here you wonder if the good results really matter. I watch football to be entertained first and foremost but winning games away from home sure puts a smile on toon army faces on a Saturday night. I just cant accept that any football fan would put finances as being more important and likewise with all the nonsense spouted from the anti Ashley camp which merely serves to illustrate the total inaction of the disorientated so called action groups. Aside from causing disturbances in a few local pubs – Where are they now? For either side to write endlessly-ad nauseum on the same point suggests a boring snoring Rachel Reeves type existence. The way I see it if we should exceed some expectations and have a good season( I forecast 7th finish but I confess to being an optimist by nature) then the numerous groups will simply fade away.

As I have said on countless occasions it is a disgrace that Ashley has failed to communicate his vision and aspirations for the toon. He has treated the fans with disrespect. However the action groups have failed to get their message across. They are somewhat like the early railways all with different guages. To do that you need people with emotional intelligence and not bully boy tactics.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Interesting quote from mike Ashley five years ago

Ashley’s view on money then has probably not changed. He said at the time: “I knew that the club would cost me money every year after I had bought it. I have backed the club with money. You can see that from the fact that Newcastle has the fifth-highest wage bill in the Premier League.

“I was always prepared to bankroll Newcastle up to the tune of £20m per year but no more. That was my bargain.

“I would make the club solvent. I would pour up to £20m a year into the club and not expect anything back.”

• Ibizatoon

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Ian…I am really pleased to see the manager and players confidence is on the up and that the playing side of things (and results) has improved with that.

Long may it continue.

I do still have a problem with the owner though. What will be the result of a good campaign? Let’s say we get a EL spot again, will we push on? Whilst happy about our form, I am left with a lack of excitement about where it’s heading and there lies a huge problem.

• wynsleap

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Slank @ 1 – That’s easy – Ashley doesn’t communicate directly with or to the fans but lies to them via his lackeys.
    Pretty simple.
    Transfer Sage @ 10 – Ashley doesn’t do it now because he was called a few names and made to look stupid in his early tenure. Ah diddums. As Jim Royle would say “Hard headed businessman my a**e”.

• Slank

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Ibizatoon @ 7

That’s why there is a lot of accusations but no hard facts as there are very few, if any, attribute quotes from Ashley but that doesn’t stop some of the fans still maintaining that he lies to them. But I do find the idea that someone who doesn’t speak but constantly lies really intriguing .

He must have an advanced form of thought transference. My wife does, but my sensors often don’t pick up what her thought transferences are much to her annoyance!

• bollance

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Incredibly this lad is still only 16.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Slank…As I said, albeit sarcastically, I think that is down to design.

Let’s not fool ourselves that what his hired representatives say aren’t pretty much exactly what they’re told to. If it’s not, you’d expect something to be done about it.

Ashleys silence echoes loudly imo.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Great article about Newcastle fans overreacting! Ed hit the nail on the head there!

I wonder if we can be more balanced in our views if we actually win that damn trophy that we’re all so impatient for…

• bills-son

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Slank // Sep 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM

How does someone who doesn’t communicate lie?

_____________________________________________

Slank,

Ed’s previous post was about overreacting and you’ve given a classic example above.

If anything, Ashley through Llambias made it perfectly clear what our transfer strategy was – we will go wherever possible for players at or near the end of their contracts, max age 27, adhere to a strict wage policy and shop in countries where we feel there is good value for money.

Ashley has also made it absolutely clear that the reality – as the AC transfer showed – is that every player has his price. However, that price for Ashley is not the ‘going rate’ but a price substantially higher than the going rate and since AC no club has been prepared to pay the Ashley’s prices. That imo is a big plus of Ashley’s policy.

Ashley’s policy of walking away from a deal if it doesn’t tick all the boxes at the right price is bloody frustrating – the downside is we lose players for a mill or two but the upside is we get Elliot, Cabaye, Tiote, Santon. Mbiwa, Haidara, Debuchy, Cisse, Sissoko, Anita and Gouffran for less than £5M more than what we sold Carroll for.

Just because Pardew – who has no say in the financial side of transfers – says he wants players during a window that we fail to sign doesn’t mean Ashley is a liar. It doesn’t mean Pardew is a liar either.

As I’ve said before, if you want to talk about a real joke club in real crisis you only have to look at Sunderland. Three managers since we got promoted, 10s of millions spent on mostly rubbish players and bottom of the Prem with a manager who can best be described as a walking disaster waiting to happen.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

TDSarf…Don’t be silly, then we’d deserve the next trophy.

It’s a hard balance. Most are interested in football for the excitement, the thrill of winning, the despair of losing and ultimately being able to claim some silverware. It’s about passion, so how do you cap off that passion?

Probably asking a bit much.

Not sure you can say impatient either…it has been quite a wait.

• Slank

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

wynsleap @ 12

So we have established that Ashley doesn’t lie directly to the fans.

So the next time I hear Pardew, Kinnear, Carr, Woodman, Stone, Carver, Beardsley, Joyce, Watson, Charnley and even Faye Downey speak I know it’s actually Ashley?

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Some people wouldn’t forgive Ashley if he wrote off all of our debts and then gave the club £50M for transfers…

Some people put all the blame on Ashley for hiring KK despite those same people probably claiming that “the messiah” was going to bring the glory times back. The same people seem to blame Ashley 100% for getting us relegated when there were plenty of people who need to share the blame (including Ashley). Did anyone at the club actually perform well that season? Players? Managers? Owner? Not really…

I still think we’ll get 8th this season but it does depend on not getting too many injuries to Cisse and Remy…

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Ibiza

I’d say you cap that passion when it becomes almost constantly negative, when the enjoyment seems to have disappeared for some people and all they can do is moan and gripe. If I wanted to support a football club where I’d only be happy if things were rosy all of the time, then I’d be a Man Utd supporter…

Definitely been quite a wait! But doesn’t mean that the fans aren’t impatient either…

• DevonToon

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Sage – yea I had a nose at that just a min ago. He obviously knows there is unrest after some mind boggling decisions again this summer, another statement explaining his views would be very welcome! At least we could all stop guessing wat the warped mind of ashley thinks.

Rotonda heights – Im no xenophobe… American sports are poor, there is a reason why football is the fastest growing sport in the U.S and why football is by far the biggest in the world! It is the premier league chairman who decide alot of things, along with the FA, and if its all yank owners, we will end up playing Soccerball an american blend of soccer and American football, cos the game just aint good enough…

• Slank

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Bills @ 17

‘Ashley has made many mistakes but most of them have had almost hysterical overreactions.’

I agree absolutely. Why do so many fans think that Ashley shouldn’t make any mistakes whatsoever but it’s fine for everybody else to make mistakes including themselves?

Is it because they think Ashley is god or some divine deity?

My beef with him is that he doesn’t wear a suit. Surely someone with his money could buy the best suit from Savile Row. I’m thinking of having a banner at the next game ‘Ashley Out To Savile Row’.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

TDSarf….That would be confusing passion with being a glory supporter…something I don’t think anyone can claim a Newcastle fan to be 🙂

I don’t think anyone expects everything to be perfect all the time, if they do then that is simply ridiculous.

You know where the main issue stems from, lack of communication and lack of clarity over the clubs direction.

There is clearly a lack of faith between owner and fans and there are arguments as to how we got there. Truth is, there is only one man who can try to clear that up but he doesn’t seem interested.

How can people be expected to relate or have faith with that?

Fans will always want to win silverware, but that isn’t what is being demanded. To challenge, to push forward, to get some pride and excitement back is what this is about, something to believe in, for me at least.

On the issue of fan groups, I too am still waiting to see what the plan is. The noises I am hearing all sound positive, but I understand they are still fine tuning thing and seeking local approval…which is a good and responsible thing to do. I will afford them some time to get it right and judge them on what they come out with once it’s ready before discarding them and their plan.

• Ciaran

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Inmates running the asylum I see. Of course it has been our fault for overreacting to seeing our historic stadium renamed the “Sports Direct Arena”, because fans of other clubs would just take that lying down wouldn’t they?

The inmates are running the asylum, best to leave them to it I suppose.

• Ciaran

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Ibiza

He can judge whether or not a player would have been a good signing after 4 games, but is willing to give Pardew until November. He has given Mike Ashley 6 years and still thinks he is a good owner, but after a matter of weeks determines that a fans campaign is ‘tinpot’ and no good.

You’re wasting your intelligence and diplomatic skills on that one my friend.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

TDS

I’d forgive him if there was just a clear message of the clubs strategy/ambition. It’s the mixed messages from the people he employs.

If he just came out and said i will look to build from youth, add the odd player each year and try to keep costs down i’d accept it and judge him by that.

The issue comes when you hire people like kinnear who go on about getting back to champions league and then you get pardew saying he wants europe, he doesn’t want it, he does want it.

It’s hard to know the true goal of the club and as a result hard to judge how well they do.

• Slank

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Ibizatoon @ 24

Do you think the fan groups will support my ‘Ashley Out To Savile Row’ as it’s important for the club to project the right image, don’t you agree?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I’m off guys. Try and find some middle ground in which to discuss the issues. Each side going to the extreme is going to get us nowhere fast, in fact, you may as well just re-read yesterdays posts and the ones the day before that, etc, etc.

We’re here to discuss opinions, not ridicule and put down each other. Aren’t we?

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Slank & Bills

I also agree. I think part of that is because of 2 things:
    1 – Ashley made the mistakes very early on of “disrespecting” KK and Shearer in the eyes of many fans
    2 – Ashley is not a Geordie

Shepherd and Douglas Hall made loads of mistakes, some of them were huge! But they got away with it a lot more because they were fans too. How about?
    – slagging off Geordie women?
    – slagging off Shearer?
    – ridiculing the fans for buying replica shirts?
    – poor signings such as Boumsong, Owen, Luque and others?
    – sacking SBR!!!
    – Appointing managers like Souness, Dogleash and Gullit. None of which had any significant success after us

And how about that they sold the club knowing full well that they were getting more money for it than it was worth considering the amount of debt that it was carrying…

• DevonToon

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I will also add to that, I just disagree with any owner coming in a stamping bulls##t idea’s on clubs.. Hull city tigers! Cardiff owner curling a brown one on the history and tradition of Cardiff city. VENKY’S! Evil F##king C####

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Ibiza

I think there’s only a minority of people who go to extremes and can’t post anything other than the same tired old rubbish but can’t take on board anything anyone else says. I’m not naming names COUGH COUGH Ruddy COUGH COUGH but those certain people could really learn a lesson in taking the time to read other people’s perspectives.

Really interesting actually reading what some other people think, whether they are nearly in agreement or miles away.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

TS

I think that’s the main issue with the club. There isn’t one clear message and one clear spokesman saying what the plan is. We may be well run as a business but if you look at a club like Everton who have been doing the same thing for several years now, they always had a very clear message when either Moyes or Kenwright came out and said something in the press.

• Ciaran

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I think my comments are fresh and original, I am deeply offended by implications to the contrary

• Ibizatoon

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Ciaran…I saw that comment last night. TBH, whilst a bit tongue in cheek and hinted that they may well not come good, he wasn’t saying they wont or that 4 games is enough to judge the player.

It was a somewhat moot point to try and make, but certainly not deserving of making an example of…imo 🙂

I just see a situation brewing, where each side is going to start digging their heals in which is so detrimental to any progress we can make.

Time4change – Newcastle “UNITED”

Slank…Tbf, he needs to be advertising his SD clothing…I don’t think they sell suits 😉

For what it’s worth, I agree that there will be some fans that will never trust him and never support him…that happens with any group or organisation. I don’t think many believe he shouldn’t make any mistakes at all (this is the middle ground I am referring too), but he needs to show he’s learning from them.

We’re back to communication of intentions again. Why leave people, who you believe to overreact hysterically, to make their own conclusions?

He’s no fool, so surely he simply doesn’t care or it’s playing in to his hands. I can’t have sympathy for him, as it’s in his control to change it.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Anyway, I really am off. I love you guys but you’re all as bad as each other. Now take some time and think about what you’ve all done 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

TDS

Agree with most of those points apart from buying bad players (owen was awesome, just bad luck with injuries).

Can’t blame him buying bad players, all clubs and owners get bad players, impossible to get every signing right.

• Slank

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

ToonDarnSarf @ 30

I would say that (2) ‘Ashley is not a Geordie’ is the biggest crime in the eyes of so many. The xenophobia is all pervasive and sickening.

Shearer deserved to be sacked. If the manager at the time of relegation was a none Geordie I doubt very much the fans would be complaining.

And yes I agree that Shepherd and Douglas Hall got away with it because they were Geordies.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM

TDS

Yep, evertons fans are unhappy and want a new owner with money but at least they know what to expect. We want to see the same. Some wont be happy but at least we know what the club is trying to do.

The statements to get the fans excited like ‘lets bring in 2/3 players’ or ‘lets push for champs league’ leaves fan’s annoyed when they clearly don’t look to achieve these goals.

• stuart no9

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM

bills — the fact that ashley has put a ‘for sale’ sign on every newcastle player – regardless of the fee , makes nufc a selling and unambitious club, why ? because the manager cant possibly build a team to provide a realistic chance of winning titles or silverware. succesfull teams take years to gel, how can pards do that if he dosnt know who is going to be around and who is sold off at a profit ? you cant . cabs going on strike is typical of a player who knows the club will sell him if an offer comes along. ‘ not for sale ‘ would give pards a better insight to gel a team to at least try and grab a top 4 slot, it will never happen though , not as long as we are a selling club