Newcastle Have Now Moved To A New Level

Vurnon Anita is one of the three or four players in the Newcastle side who are showing vast improvement over last season, and he will probably start again this afternoon against Hull City, and he has already given some tidy and efficient performance for Newcastle in midfield, and of course he is keeping Cheick Tiote out of the side.

vurnon anita - with funny look

Vurnon Anita – doing very well so far this season

Vurnon came from Ajax just over a year ago and was very highly rated, but last season the 24 year-old struggled with the physical demands of the Premier League, but it seems this season  he is much more comfortable in a Newcastle United shirt, and like all players who come through the Ajax Academy in Amsterdam, he is very good technical player.

This is what Vurnon had to say today in a rather long interview:

“I came here to be competing at the top end of the table and a win over Hull will push us up there. Our ambition is to be up there with the very best teams. It is pressure for us but it is good pressure.”

“I was used to winning games at Ajax,  so I know all about this kind of pressure and now it is all about winning games for Newcastle to try to get us up there with the teams at the top of the league.”

“It was difficult last year not winning, not being in the team. It was a new experience for me but it made me stronger as a player.” ‘Of course, you want to be play and to show what you are capable of,  so it was far from ideal last season for me that I was not playing regularly.”

“I always kept strong in my mind that things would be OK because in football, you have ups and downs.” ‘There were no regrets about making the move.” ” I know what I can do and there was also a period at Ajax when I was not in the team under a new coach.”

“Back then, I kept working hard and believing in myself and eventually I got back in the team and played well enough to earn a move here.” “That is football – ups and downs. That was a down but it made me more determined to show what I can do – and it was the same last season here.”

“This is an exciting football team with Moussa, Yohan, Hatem and Cheick as well. We have moved to another level this season. The ambition is to try to get back into Europe.”

“It is still the highest thing you can achieve with your club and it is also good for Newcastle that other countries see what Newcastle is capable of. I think that is what we have to do.”

Good words from Vurnon there, and a number of our players have been positive this week in their interviews, about how good they think the team is this season.

If that’s true we should be able to win against Hull City today at home, for our third league win in a row.

And if we can do that spirits will be soaring on Tyneside – and that’s always good.

Very good. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• nico

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Hopefully we can carry our improved form into today. I’d love a 3 or 4 goal win. Can’t remember the last time we won a game easily.

• nico

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Is it just me, or do other people laugh when Di Canio talks? He always just mumbles on like ‘we need to pass pass ball faster faster, switch switch play quick, move run create space defend cross better quicker passion, press higher tackle.’
    Yes Paulo

• Hatem's better than Messi

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Shame Ashley didn’t back the team … again.

A new level with a loan signing and JFK.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Slank, I haven’t forgotten. I told friends that same season, that next year (last year) will show if he’s been lucky or not. For we were still disjointed apart from a few good games. Generally nicking the odd goal to win. You can’t rely on that as a game plan.

Last game was a good performance but the ones before it were poor. Ben Arfa single handedly got Pardew out of the mess again against Fulham. Just had been the case in our finishing 5th season.

I said to friends, we’ll either keep playing poorly and not pick up points, or start playing well and do even better. Last season proved my point. Same disjointed football, without the points.

Our goal difference was only plus 5 when we came 5th, yet we had a lot of clean sheets (through constantly sitting everyone back) and managed to nick a goal through the at times sublime quality which we do possess.

Last week against Villa, on paper looking at the teams, there was no comparison between us and them.

The team is no doubt a minimum top 8 side, I like the players we possess, but I want a quality manager and coach who can consistently bring the best out of them and play with some attacking intent, not moan and lie to fans and generally just be a better man than Mr. Arrogant, Pardew. Certainly not someone who is going to tell me that he’s glad we’re not in Europe.

• Slank

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Nico @ 2

It was the same mumbling from Paul Lambert when he was interviewed after our win and he is supposed to be a natural English speaker.

The worst is Iain Dowie who appears to mangle his sentences, starting one and ending with another and completely missing the middle. It’s no wonder that we got regulated.

• DevonToon

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Love this chap! Was saying weeks ago to Nico how important this lad will be to us! He does everything so simply, its easy to miss how good he actually is! Im just repeating myself, but we really have got a PERFECT midfield blend! I think only spurs have a better blend. Chelsea n arsenal are top heavy to many CAM’s if u like, Man utd… I dunno what there midfield is… but hand on heart I think id have ours. City obviously have an abundance of talent but pellers cant get a good mix going, hes lucky he got Y Toure, who is the perfect midfielder. Obviously their teams have better players, but as a midfield our three all offer very different, but very key ingredients! 2-1 today, some people getting carried away and hull aint been to bad… cisse and santon with the goals

• wynsleap

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Pleased for Anita but has anyone told him ‘trying to get back into Europe’ isn’t wanted at this club? As we have been told by Pardew (indirectly by Ashley) it is a distraction and of course pressure is put onto buy more players when we can’t even land one in the window.