This Is Why It’s So Hard To Be Logical About Newcastle

Alan Pardew came under tremendous pressure in the summer after last season’s poor showing, when amazingly we had to fight off a relegation scare, and we only just managed to accomplish that when Wigan started to lose some of their last games of the season, , and one of our problems was that our squad was just not big enough to take on European competition as well as the Premier League, and injuries to some of our best players like Colo, Ben Arfa, Tim Krul and Yohan Cabaye meant we could very rarely field our best side.

alan pardew closup

Alan Pardew – better blend and spirit

But so far this season we have been able to field our best side, which now includes the impressive Loic Remy, who has quickly become a fan favorite on Tyneside, even though he joined QPR rather than Newcastle in January, and that was not good, but he seems determined to prove he can become an excellent player on Tyneside.

But I suppose we all make bad decisions  at some point in life – nobody’s perfect – and the Newcastle fans have quickly forgiven Loic.

And Alan Pardew is a better manager than most of us give him credit for, and certainly his man-management skills have always been excellent.

Alan has said today that he thinks the Newcastle squad he now has is good, and certainly better than last year at this time:

“There’s just a different feel on the training ground and it looks like a better blend and a better spirit amongst the group than last year, but you can never tell because we’ve had good starts the last two seasons.”

“And we could start really well here but it’s a long, long season and injuries and suspensions are important. They’re going to affect us like all Premier League teams.”

“These real swathes of “we’re going to have a great season”, “we’re going to go down” is even more highlighted in this club for whatever reason.” ‘

“Therefore it’s important for me to keep the team on the ground, for the team to keep their feet on the ground about where we’re at but to also embroider their dreams.”

Alan mentions in those last couple of sentences, about the over-reaction of the Newcastle press and the Newcastle fans to some of  our  results.

But when you were brought up as a toddler, the son of an avid Newcastle supporter, who traveled to the away games all the time,  and you are told Newcastle are a great club and you watch games starting at four years old, you don’t believe Newcastle are a great club – you know they are.

And that was especially true when the time I am talking about is when we won the FA Cup three times in five years.

You see the passion today around the country, when a goal is scored and fathers and their toddlers go crazy – how do you think that youngster will turn out?

And it’s therefore very hard to be logical about Newcastle’s results, simply because you are so passionate about the side.

So maybe the lads can get us another win today, and with three wins in a row – Geordie spirits will be soaring on Tyneside and around the world – and maybe we do have a good side this season.

And this Saturday morning,  that’s still an open question on Tyneside.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• roy

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

4-0 today!

• giimps

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Any win will do, Hull aren’t going to just lie down,mrs doubt fire will have them fired up for this one, we need a goal early on to put that fire out.
    I’m going for 2 nil to us, don’t care who scores but it would be nice for Remy and cisse to get a goal each.
    HWTL

• doonundertoon

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM

im fairly sure he was the one last year talking about top 5 finishes, and this was even after the first transfer window had closed.. the man is a turnip

• Slank

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Ed,

‘just not big enough to take on European competition as well as the Premier League ‘

The squad was big enough as it complied with the rules. The real problem was that the second eleven were not good enough or being charitable not yet good enough.

• doonundertoon

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM

oh and newcastle 2-0, our midfield needs to be really on the ball today as on paper hull has a nice little central midfield, really hope they dont under estimate them today, HWTL

• Slank

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I think today’s game is not, as some may think, a walkover.

I think we will find Hull a tough nut to crack.

• bobby mango

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Ed disagree completely with this one – “And Alan Pardew is a better manager than most of us give him credit for”
    Sorry but no. Too many examples of poor management last year. I’m not saying that reflectively either, as soon as I saw some of his choices I knew they were wrong. Seems to be learning this year though, although (as he says) its a long season.

What I’m judging things on is performances and so far we’re improving game by game, so I’m encouraged. Last season I knew this far in we would struggle, despite what he says we DID NOT have a good start, first four games were…

W 2-1 vs Spurs (played poorly, how we won that game I’ll never know)
    L 2-0 vs Chelsea (tbh can’t remember the performance but we lost)
    D 1-1 vs Villa (Villa were by far the better team at St James, somehow we drew but I remember being furious and upset with our performance)
    D 2-2 vs Everton (decent result but again we were dominated and somehow pulled it back)

By that far in I was already worried. On paper it wasn’t so bad but our play worried me massively. In the last 20 vs Fulham and the game against Villa I’ve seen something in our set-up that makes me feel more confident – we’re playing like a team. That’s why I’m encouraged.

• SA Toon

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

What makes Newcastle a great club is that it has a large supporter base and almost all of us are somehow born into the club. Unlike other more fashionable clubs like Man U and Arsenal which tend to attract supporters because of their football achievements, most of the NUFC supporters simply have no choice – the club is in our blood and we support them no matter what. My father has been a supporter all his life (he is now 72) and I grew up following the ups and downs of every season. My son and I now carry on the tradition and when we were relegated the only challenge was how to get to see the games as Championship games are not televised as much in South Africa. Mind you, not much has changes in that regard, as SA sports channels didn’t show Aston Villa last week and are not showing Hull today either! It’s going to be another frustrating day of following the written commentary. Big thanks to all who post video clips – keep them coming this afternoon. Here’s hoping for a good win against Hull.

• Grumpy

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

There’s Bad Decisions and very bad decisions .Ok Remy went to qpr because there was a better deal on the table ,I get that, plenty of finger pointing to go around . Cabaye on the other hand having a tissy fit and refusing to play while under a perfectly good contract I can not get no matter how much he says “I’m sorry”. FU Cabaye.