Newcastle Injury Update – Latest

Yohan Cabaye suffered another groin injury in the second half of the game on Saturday and had to go off, and that’s a little worrying because he had a double operation just less than a year ago that kept him out of the side for a few months.

yohan cabaye hull city

Yohan Cabaye – groin injury

But it  seems that the injury he sustained on Saturday is not too bad, but we’d be surprised if he;’s even in the squad for the game on Wednesday night in the Capital One Cup.

Much better to let Yohan fully recover, and he could be ready for the game a week tonight at Everton, which will be a big test for the side against an in-form side, who are unbeaten and 6th top of the league under new manager Roberto Martinez.

The other two players out injured are Shola Ameobi who is out for three weeks with a knock, and Steven Taylor has a hamstring strain and both will be out for another two to three weeks.

And that’s a pity for Steven, because the local  lad  would have got a game on Wednesday night against Leeds United, to see if he could strengthen a weak looking Newcastle defense against Hull City on Saturday.

Jonas Gutierrez has recovered from his hamstring strain, and is due to return to training today, and it seems the reason we haven’t seen too much of young Massadio Haidara this season,  is that he has a knee injury.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM

buckluck

exactly…just grow a set, admit you got it wrong and bring in a good manager. There are so many managers who play in the modern, attacking, passing way in spain, portugal, italy, germany, poland….we must get a manager from this region who knows what they are going.

Look at swansea with laudrupp, he has been a revelation for them, took them up a few levels. there is no way we would go to valencia and outplay them (even if they had 10 men).

• Jamiemac

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Bring back Danny Simpson

• theartfuldodger

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Transfer Sage,
    We would not go to Valencia looking to outplay them.
    Our Europa tactic was to keep it at 0-0 and grab a goal in last 20 mins.

• WWSBRD

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Repost
    9WWSBRD // Sep 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Sage
    Can u hand on heart say Ashley would hire one of these continental managers? Or that he wants one?

Kinnear would still be in charge now had he not fallen ill imo

On this subject Saylor wouldn’t of started for me regardless play the first team no reason not to and Leeds will be up for this match no doubt, big club wanting to make a impact again

• NoClue-Pardew

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM

could not agree more with you Transfer Sage

• Munster Mag

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Plenty of posters need to start looking at the sort of crap they are spouting on this site, and then admit that they dont know a whole lot, even if they feel qualified to advise Pardew what he needs to do.

1.Simpson is a better defensive right back than Debuchy – yet fellas were slagged off when we said this a year ago
    2. Pardew used the Europa League as a great excuse for underperformance …..we were told by guys who think they know a lot that the Swansea mgr was overrated and they now would struggle with the demands of the Europa – wrong again….two words, Valancia, and Palace away
    3. Transfers – People like TDS can spout nonsense all he likes about net cost of players etc, but I shudder to imagine how little money this club would have spent without the Carroll monay, which we apparently got up front by the way.
    4. We do NOT have a good defence. As Billson and myself pointed out pre-season, our centre halves are too short, and neither of our full backs are good defenders. Santon is a CRAP defender. He lacks awareness, reads the game poorly, and is too attack minded. He is also a very average tackler. He has qualities, but they are not defensive ones by and large. This has been apparent since his first games. Please, lets forget what Mourinho said, it isnt going to happen.

I havent been on the blog for a few days. Have the mini accountants managed to convince us that the agents are still to blame for the fact that Swansea can sign guys like Bony, while we run for the hills once the 5-6mill price mark is reached?

• BuckLuck

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Transfer Sage

Totaly agree. We need a modern manager that can take advantage of our squad.
    I see some one here saying we have a lot of average players. I disagree. We have the best set of players in many many years, and a modern manager would make us play wonderful football. Laudrup is a good example TS. He would be great for us. We would worship that man like a god if he became our manager.

I don’t want this club to do a Stoke under Pulis. Sit back, play it long and hope for a win. I would much rather see attacking and exciting football and feel the SJP atmosphere if I could choose. That’s the only way forward these days.

• Sam

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

The pic is Santon, not cabaye XD

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

With pardew its one step back after every one forward.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

buckluck

I think we have a good set of players but nothing special, mid table 8-12th for me in terms of quality over the squad.

Munster

You are correct, i had though debuchy was better than simmo, very very wrong on that and i will admit it.

I also find it annoying on transfers and wonder who makes our valuation of a player. We bid 8mil for gomis…turns out to be just short of what they want. We then bid 2mil for bent (proven in prem, longer left on contract than gomis, just didn’t get on at villa) and we fail to get him as they want 5/6mil (why pay 8 for gomis and 2 for bent…who makes these prices up). Then bent goes on loan to fulham…surely we could have gone for that (whether he is what people want or not the club wanted him yet did very little to actually get him).

• terencelim

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

@Munster Mag Agreed with all your points except for point 4 about Santon I used to and still rate him very highly. I’m not sure if his under-performing has anything to do with Pardew. It’s strange but I still like to see him given a chance at right back, perhaps in FA or Capital One cup.

• jimmysmith

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I wouldn’t give up on Debuchey too quickly. He has been surprisingly exposed defensively, but he seems an intelligent player who can surely be coached to make better decisions in turns of marking and when to attack. Other players can also be coached to slot into a better shape when he bombs on. Added to that he is a far better fullback offensively than Simmo, who as I remember was also actually quite limited defensively when he first came in to the side. Literally couldn’t figure out how tight to mark, either too close or too far away and got roasted quite a lot because of it, and this in the Championship.

• Santon03

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Soo… Fabio Cannavaro is bad CB because he is too short? What about Roberto Ayala? Ivan Cordoba? Chivu? Baresi? Montero?

I have watched Santon sice his debut for Inter and won CL and impressed Mourinho, but he is CRAP here in NUFC. I bet Mourinho also CRAP for NUFC since he rated Santon highly.

• BuckLuck

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM

jimmysmith

Agree. Debuchy isn’t a bad RB at all. Actually he is pretty good, but the way Pardew is balancing an attacking side is ruining for him.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM

santon03

Santon may be a very good fullback for inter but that doesn’t mean much here.

He either has problems working with pardews style or he isn’t cut out for the style of the prem league and is only suited to the italian game. Nothing against him, just he isn’t cutting it in the prem league.

• WWSBRD

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Sage
    Are u ignoring my question mate? 🙂

• Munster Mag

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Transfer Sage, I’m happy to admit when I get things wrong too – like when Ashley invested so well in January ( sadly he ran for cover after that ….) Debuchy in competitive , likes to tackle, and crosses well, but he looks a bit slow to me ….has from day one. I have said before on this hat we should consider a sweeper system …can you imagine how goos Colo would be as a sweeper. Then it would allow our attacking full backs a bit more ambition. Sadly, sweeper systems need 12 players I often find … !

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM

buckluck

debuchy just wanders off and leaves huge gaps…not just when attacking but when he is back he is often in the wrong place

• Munster Mag

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Santon, Baresi was a sweeper. Cannavaro played in a brilliantly defensive Italiam team. Both wonderful wonderful players, but centre halves need aerial ability in English football. At ;east one of them has to be very strong in the air. In fairness, Pardew knows this, but lack of ambition from Ashley ( TDS should be on to defend his man soon, followed by B+B, sticking up for Mikey ….) and the idiotic appointment of Kinnear ( well done, great owner ) put the kybosh on this. Incidentally, I’ll be waiting a while before I give a proper thumps up to Mbiwa too although he seems to have far more defensive understanding than Santon.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM

wwsbrd

sorry, totally missed it somehow.

I personally don’t think he would hire one of those managers, i think he likes a struggler (like pardew) who he knows is under qualified for the role and is grateful to just get what he is given and defend the owner’s decisions. He would not hire anyone who isn’t a yes man (which is the real reason i think houghton went). again just my opinion.

I also can’t see him getting rid of pardew unless its a last resort, he is happy with staying in the league and thats it, no further ambition.

Munster

yeh always seem one light with a sweeper, always a position on the field misses out. I just dont think pardew has the nous to come up with anything different or even work on getting these players working.

Would love to know what the UEFA pro license coaching course consists of as there seems to be very little skill in pardews management, picks his teams like me on football manager…pics the tactics but does little coaching on getting them to work, the finer details a lot of us don’t see/know how to improve (me included by the way).

• BuckLuck

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Transfer Sage

If we finsh the season on 8th I’m fairly happy.

On Debuchy, he was good playing for France and he was good playing for Lille. Surely he has a lot more potential than he is showing right now.

• Ian Toon

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Human relationships always start with something in common. Travelling to toon away games forms contacts and friendships well outside the region. All because of a common love of a football club. So it’s sad to witness the sniping on here and elsewhere of fellow fans because they don’t share the same appetite for action and demonstration against our current owner.

Those who go regularly to away games tend to focus more on results, whereas there are many for whom meeting up with friends before and after the game is just as important as the result; though it’s more fun winning than seeing your team lose. So I thought it was hard to reconcile on Saturday but there is another game on Wednesday.

The toon is very much part of the community irrespective of which regime is temporarily holding the reins. A football club can be as much in their communities as they want to be and quite often through supporters groups. This is a great idea just as long as they don’t get power complexes about it, implying that no-one but them can do it, it’s fine with me. A working life provides less time for many, both to attend games and to participate in the current wave of anti Ashley activities. A fan is a fan. But some are followers rather than leaders. It is important to get the balance right if aims and objectives are to be achieved. Something not achieved when we previously played Hull at SJP. That set the club back on many fronts.

However what we are experiencing at present is a total lack of unity with these groups bickering and it seems little sense of common purpose even to agree on a (common) mission statement. For me first and foremost we should be looking to improve communication with the fans. Something which is obtainable and desirable. Rowdy demonstrations just make us a laughing stock with the football world at large and actually achieve very little.

A rough straw poll in the No 9 on Saturday, by fanzine contributors, suggest that there is little appetite for any repeat of the past ill thought out demonstrations. But ” Gatherings outside Sports Direct stores ” favoured. !!! My suggestion of good investigative journalism to bring Ashley out into the open was not favourably received.

I worry though where we as a football club are going when we have the divisive ill thought out posting of a few anti Ashley types on here who do little to win the undecided fan to their cause. It’s not the way to win hearts and minds.

If those types are looking to influence they need to get their message across. What are the aims and objectives. ? Why should anyone follow you if you can’t even agree amongst yourselves !

Get someone with integrity like John Gibson to post on here not the scallywags you currently select. Just my opinion.

• WWSBRD

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Sage
    Haha am glad we agree

It’s why I don’t call for Pardews head there’s no point

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM

buckluck

might just not be suited to the english game though…not sure yet though, got no other options but to stick with him really.

and 8th is good but when we finished 5th 2 years ago we should really have strengthened more and kicked on…we dont seem to ever really go forwards, either sideways or backwards.

• jimmysmith

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I think Collocini as sweeper, but in front of, not behind of or alongside tw centre backs could work great as he would cover sideways as the two fullbacks bomb on and his distribution is top notch.

That would allow Benny to play in the hole behind say Remy, but we don’t have the depth to play it when Colo is unavailable and possibly even if either first choice wing back were. Although you feel Gutierrez could do a job there, while both Haidarra and Dummett have the potential to do succeed in that role also.

• theartfuldodger

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Iv very rarely heard Pardew talk technical.
    He talks about transfers and finance and fans and injuries and gears and what not.
    I just havent heard him talk about details like
    “Our full backs occupied final third most of the time” (an example)

Can he be intricate with tactics Im not sure.
    Does every player know what to do in every game ? Cause every game is different and may change many times during 90 mins.
    You cant have players wandering into any area.

Im not sure how other managers speak cause I dont follow them.

Perhaps cabaye behind front three is a luxury we can afford.
    Anita-Tiote-Sissoko ??

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

wwsbrd

Yeh it probably will have no effect except make me happy for a short while.

At least we could look forward to different excuses instead of “we wasn’t at our best” or “we wasn’t a fret today”

• catchy in norway

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM

TS

I think its all about money to get the EU coaches badge, im not sure if it was all or just part , but was 8 Grand to do,
    I think pardew proves that you don’t need a brain to pass it, its link of like offshore tickets, pay the money do the days , get your ticket,

while I do love to come on here and read what others are thinking, I carnt help wondering what ED is thinking,, grow a pair and drop players under performing ??

I thought Jonas under performed all season only yo be to he is doing a job, and if this is the case who are we to say all the others arnt doing a job, its just not the one id EXPECT then to do,

for me AS EVERYONE MUST KNOW , pardew is the one to blame for our style of football, and how things should pan out on the pitch, he sets it up all wrong, his subs are just hmmmm, shut with an I, no sence at all, he shuffels the team around and there is no difference

• BuckLuck

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM

It might be that, but I hope it’s coaching or lack of it. Hope is really all I got left these days 😉

Yes, we stand still. And when other teams around us evolves we kind of goes backwards?

Anyway, off to lunch and then some work. Have a nice day folks.

• jimmysmith

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Auto correct really is an appalling pile of shite. The bane of my already all too limited posts.

• Belfast

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I’m not really sure on Debuchy tbh. He gets exposed by Ben Arfa a lot in my opinion. Still wouldn’t have Simpson back anyway, the fact he ended up in the championship says a lot.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what team he plays in the carling cup. I would play a full strength team, drop Cisse and play Remy through the middle.

Though knowing Pardew he will play a team full of kids.

• Santon03

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

TS & Munster

I know Santon is not the best LB, but so far he isn’t that bad compares to other LB in the league. We have good players that play well for their nations and previous clubs and even wanted by other clubs, but you have to ask why playing as a team they play badly. As for CB, I think our CB is not that they are not tall enough, but I think they are too naive and the team is like they never play together before. It’s just like they just met yesterday and they seems like 11 strangers on the field.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Yeah, bring back Simmo for a full French international adjusting to his first year in the PL .

We have always been poor defensively since Pardew has been in charge, ironically with a defensive manager like Alan . Even in the 5th place finish our goal difference was poor compared to the teams around us and Simpson was in the team then. If Simmo was some world beater all I ask you is , Where is he playing now ?

When we put teams under pressure (which we only seem to manage for 20 minutes spells) we control the game and don’t have to worry about defending so much .

I still think in our case the best form of defence is attack and under Pardew it won’t happen IMO.

• WWSBRD

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Sage
    True be something new to complain about 😉 for me anything other than an ownership change is papering over cracks at this point

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM

santon

i’d take evra, clichy, gibbs, rose, baines, cole, shaw, enrique, over santon every single time.

as for the rest of the left backs in the league, no much difference i don’t feel.

catchy

Yeh but they must surely have to pass some assessments and actually learn things? it’s a joke really.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM

wwsbrd

yeh i know, but may as well paper of them until we can get the plasterer in to sort the job properly.

big papa

i don’t care if he is a french international or a accrington stanley reserve….he is horrible at defending

• solano

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM

That’s an interesting and thoughtful post Ian @22.
    I’ve been away on special duties most of the summer but I gather there is something ‘brewing’.
    May I say personally, I hope Anti-Ashley types do target his brand via his shops but I think that would prove more divisive at this point and not encourage a united front.
    If a planned and peaceful march, aimed not at hurling abuse at the owner but promoting the untapped potential of the club were sanctioned by the police and council then I would most definitely participate.
    Of course, a march in itself would achieve little in concrete/practical terms but it’s symbolism of uniting fans would be significant if it were conducted and covered properly and could lead to other things (such as you allude to)
    You mention fanzine contributors….I think many of them over the years have contributed very negatively to the NUFC cause by their petty politics and pursuit of commercial interests. I hope they could for once, put that aside and get behind a campaign that seeks to exact some desperately needed change in the direction NUFC has been headed for sometime now.

• WWSBRD

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM

@LittleBigMatch: NEW 2–3 HC. Morallyunimpeachablepaydaybenefactor FC’s Remy executed “for defying club’s core principles of calamity, incompetence & shame.”

Hahaha brilliant

• WWSBRD

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Sage
    Am just tired of distractions mate but I do think the Ashley era will be coming to an end sooner rather than later

• nut meg

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Sage @ 20
    I am pretty sure I read a just a few years ago that the pro license coaching badge is a no fail course!! I may be mistaken but that’s what I think it is if my memory serves me right.

1 2 3 5