The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew Will Now Give Opportunities To Others

10:06 am, Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

With Newcastle now having decent strength in depth in the squad, when we  have an awful and uncommitted display as we all witnessed last Saturday against Hull City, Alan Pardew must drop some players and give opportunities to others, who are only waiting for their chance in the wings – so to speak.

Paul Dummett  Braga

Local lad Paul Dummett – will play tonight

And Alan mentioned a few times in yesterday’s press conference that he was still livid about that terrible display on Saturday.

This is some of what Alan said:

“I’m absolutely livid about Saturday.”  “For me, I’ve looked at the team, and I think one or two deserve a chance to press their claims, in particular Sammy Ameobi and Dummett.”

“Those two are going to play. They’re from the Academy, I’m desperate for them to push their claims. They’ll get that chance.”  “My focus is on the group. I’ve got to keep the group motivated.”

“Therefore, when the team doesn’t play well on a Saturday in the Premier League, I’ll give opportunities to others. I’m prepared to do that.”  “It needs to be a team that’s good enough to beat Leeds, and I’d like to think this team will be.”

“It’s an important game for us,” “It’s my first domestic cup tie at home and I want to win it.”  “It’s also a little taster of what we had last year in the Europa League.”

“It thought they were cracking games. I want a bit of that against a great name in football, Leeds United.”

In fact Alan was not correct when he said this was his first home tie in any of the domestic cups, because that was against Blackburn in the FA Cup a year last January, that’s when Ben Arfa got that fantastic individual goal when he went through the Blackburn defense and smashed the ball into the back of the net with that magnificent left foot of his.

Here are the highlights of that game.

Comments welcome – but please keep them civil.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Capital One Cup · Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Paul Dummett · Sammy Ameobi

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Himanshu Dhingra // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Pardew talking crap again.

Someone is from academy so they must play.

• 2 Slank // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

ToonDarnSarf @ 68

Yes, regrettably that is the picture that is more often than not is portrayed by the media. The recent tv series ‘Bouncers’ reinforced that stereotype.

• 3 Slank // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Because the British public are great animal lovers the incident where that idiot punched a horse got huge media attention and again reinforced the impression that there is something unhinged about Newcastle United supporters.

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Everyone should read this:

I’m frankly very unhappy regarding the comment about cup competitions. The point of a football club should be to target winnable trophies, not ‘just’ get top 10. A goo cup run makes a season worthwhile even if we’re not in with a chance of getting top 6.

Interesting to read that Ashley has deferred taking back the £18M short term loan though and that the £111M loan is considered long-term..

Also sad to read about the commercial revenue….surely this is something they should be better at?!

• 5 ToonDarnSarf // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the British public being animal lovers.

Newcastle United lost a football match. Some idiotic Newcastle United fans decided to riot in the city centre. One idiot went as far as to punch a horse. All of those so called fans are a embarrassment to proper NUFC fans. I wonder if any of them are going to be on the march…hope they behave themselves…

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Really? The morning following JK’s appointment I woke up to numerous emails and messages from fans of other clubs laughing at the club and feeling sorry for us. The number of people mocking the stadium name change when it happened would also disagree with your theory.

Yes the other fans want a reaction from the fans, but if the club didn’t give the ammunition for them then they wouldn’t have the opportunity.

There are sensible arguments for virtually everything, just because there is a sensible argument doesn’t make it right.

Eg. Ashley appointed Kinnear to the role of DoF because he wants people in that he knows and trusts. However, Kinnear had being removed from his position as DoF at Oxford for not being up to it, and had quickly sacked the manager at Luton before appointing himself as manager instead of DoF. So Kinnear isn’t up to the task of that role – not to mention he has pent less than 10 months involved with football in 10 years.

Now, while the for argument makes sense it does not outweigh the against argument so is therefore a poor (if not worse then that) appointment.

• 7 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Really hope to see dummett get a good run out, the lad was so impressive pre season and has always looked nothing less than 100% determined when he’s played be great to see him stake a claim to the first team

• 8 ToonDarnSarf // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I don’t agree with JFK as DoF and I think he made a massive PR blunder with that stupid interview. It was that interview that made things a joke, not his actual appointment. Fans of other clubs don’t care any more. Look at the current situation:
    – we had a decent start before Hull and it’s still early days
    – we managed to keep our stars at the club despite bigger clubs being interested
    – we didn’t have the greatest of transfer windows but we brought at least 2 players forward to Jan and I still think players like Bony and Osvaldo are overpriced by far
    – JFK hasn’t cause any problems since that interview
    – the stadium is back to its proper name (and who really referred to it by it’s stupid name?)

• 9 Rooster // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Do it in the Premiership then Pardew, you dont ever drop a out of form REGULAR for a so called academy player, you big upped Adam Campbell and said he was going to ger mych more involvement, now hes totally out the first team squad, honestly ya full of horseshit!!!

Oh he might scrape in to the league cup squad, you could not lie straight in bed, its painful, nobody could perform as crap as Cisse ar the moment, have you the balls to drop him for an ACADAMY player in the prem?!?! Not a chance!

• 10 geordielad880 // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

i have heard a few rumours that carver had a bust up in training with ben arfa the other day, my mate told me, dont know how true it is, wouldnt surprise me at all though

• 11 Ciaran // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Not stopping long. Just thought I would inform those who are interested about what was discussed at last night’s Time4Change meeting.

Met some really interesting people, with some great ideas for the club and some big plans in the upcoming weeks and months.

Their first real idea is a protest march in the city centre on the morning of the Liverpool home game, which is 19th October. Discussions have been held with Spirit of Shankley and they are sending up thousands of Liverpool fans to march with us. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want Liverpool fans showing us up so we need as many Newcastle United fans to show up at this protest march, which will be a peaceful demonstration calling for change in Newcastle United. Spirit of Shankley are all too familiar with how to conduct these marches and have been a great source of support.

Show your support for your club by joining in in this peaceful march towards St James’ Park before going into the game and roaring your team on to victory.

Hope everyone can make it and I will give more information about the finite details closer to the time.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I’d not consider our start particularly decent. Below average. 3 home games against sides that have poorer teams on paper, and on grass then us should have been a minimum 9 points. Add Villa away, where a point was a realistic target, so I’d say 10 points good, 9 required 7 below average.

Who is to say JK hasn’t caused problems, we don’t know what he has done behind the scenes, whether he was or wasn’t at fault during transfer negotiations, so I’m not sure how you can say that.

Yes, yes, we managed to keep our big stars, that was our success last summer as well remember, and it nearly got us relegated.

brought forward our business, I did laugh at that in the NUST report, we brought forward business to avoid inflated prices. We were told that Goofy and Sissoko were brought forward, they would have been free. Mbiwa and Debuchy were players we reportedly went after and didn’t get the summer before, so that only leaves Haidara and Mbabu, I doubt there prices would have been inflated.

Bony and Osvaldo? Didn’t want either anyway, Redmond as a young English winger on the other hand would have been nice – £2 million rising to £3mill. Douglas on a free, not incredible, but a dominant centre half and an upgrade on Willo – Free.

The stadium back to its proper name? Mainly cause no company would want to be associated with that name change would be my guess.

I did find the bit in the report saying that where SD advertise would be empty without them, god knows how we managed to get any advertising in the ground prior to SD coming along. Other clubs executives must be incredible to manage to get people to pay for advertising!

• 13 bishopblaize // Sep 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

He can talk some shi’8 can’t he!
    Using few chosen words keeps him in post for another couple of games.
    If I was on them wages (a weeks covering the best of a years work, if not more)
    Get yer players dribbling on pitch Alan, not you doing the work of 10men in a quick press interview.
    Anyway .. Let’s hope he reet lol :)

previous post: Pardew – I’m Still Lived About Saturday – Make No Mistake