I’m Not Gloating About Sunderland – A Great Club

Alan Pardew was asked several times to comment on the recent dismissal of Paolo Di Canio, the Sunderland manager, but it was obvious that Al;an didn’t want to say much about it at all, and certainly refused to criticize with Paolo or the Sunderland club, and he showed some real class in doing that.

paolo di canio _2540604b

Paolo Di Canio – sacked on Sunday night

This is what Al;an said about the dismissal of Di Canio:

“The new manager will be a lucky person, because the warmth of the place binds you straightaway to the club.:  “I have actually been a guest at Sunderland as a manager and treated very well, though not quite as well by the fans!”

“But that is the rivalry there is between two massive clubs. They are going to collide in three or four weeks and the new manager will have a springboard to his career if he wins… or the opposite.” “This will be my fourth Sunderland manager that I have gone against – and I have only been here three and a half years.”

“I am not gloating in any shape or form by the way. I am just saying it is a fact that it’s a tough job up here – for Sunderland and Newcastle.”  “But if the new manager can get that place moving, it’s a great club.”

There’s a little bit of class from Alan, and of course he;s absolutely right not to offer much comment on what’s happening down the road, but as Alan says when we meet Sunderland, it will be the fourth manager at Sunderland he;s gone up against.

The favorite for the job seems to be Roberto Di Mateo, although former Brighton boss Gus Poyet is also well fancied.

The ,American owner Ellis Short might have some convincing to do to get Di Mateo, but Poyet would jump at the chance to manage in the Premier League..

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• G

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

One of my best mates is a Mackems fan, and he believes that it doesn’t matter who they bring in, but they will finish rock bottom of the league.

• geordiemark

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

so mr pardew why dont you do us all a favour and apply for the mackem hot seat then we would all love that

• spitfire_

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I hope the mackems president whatever his name is to take this Pardews interview like “come and get me plea”.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM

G,
    I don’t think MA came in with the intention of lying to fans. The Keegan issue clouds things, but then Keegan said he loved this club and that is why he answered the call, nothing to do with his soccer circus about to go bust and him owing an estimated 2-4million because of it? I think MA fully wanted to execute his 5 year plan but found that he was incapable of doing so in the way he wanted. Couple this with the fall out with the fans and I think he decided that he wanted to change his approach so he didn’t have to put any cash in. That is his choice, it doesn’t mean he lied.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM

G

I don’t think the court case proved that they lied. Just that KK had the right to assume that his contract gave him final say on transfers, despite this not being explicit in the contract. The club was seen as in breach of contract and KK won the constructive dismissal case because DW was appointed to do a job that KK could reasonably have considered that he needed to have final say on to do his job.

Saying that, DW did say that KK had final say on transfers I believe and that wasn’t the case clearly.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if KK demanded some expensive and experienced players so DW was just instructed to go over his head though.

• Slank

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM

G,

How does Ashley lie when he doesn’t communicate?

• Rotonda heights

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I think pardew realises he has had far worse results than Di canio and is still in a job