Lots Of Goals In Newcastle Side – But We Need More Of This

The introduction of Loic Remy into the Newcastle side this season, has made Newcastle look like a very good attacking side, and the French International has been an instant threat to opposing defenses out on the left wing, and he’s already got two goals and two assists for the club in his three appearances to date – not bad at all.

alan pardew wonga

Alan Pardew – we can score goals but we have to close the back door

Alan Pardew now seems to have a lot of different attacking options up front, and apart from the current starting front three of Ben Arfa, Cisse, and Remy, he has players like Sammy Ameobi, Yoan Gouffran, Jonas Gutierrez and even Gabby Obertan to bring in, depending on the state of the game.

Alan Pardew now thinks Newcastle can get in amongst the goals this season, and he had this to say today to the local press:

“What it does look like in our team is that we’ve got goals.”  “For the first time for a long time, that bodes well.”  “We have to lock the back door though and we didn’t do that against Hull.”

“That’s the consistency we need.”  “On transition we need to be stronger and Cheick Tiote has made a big difference.”  “We looked much more solid.”  “But we must take that forward.”

We will look good going forward this season, but Alan’s right that if we don’t shut the back door, we’ll not do as well as we should do or need to do this season – we need more solidity at the back.

We’re still not sure what exactly happened against Hull City, when we seemed to find it easy to score goals, but also easy to concede goals, and we  gave away three soft goals and all three points, and the defending in that game was not good at all – in fact it was terrible. 🙁

We’re not sure Alan will play the same back four on Monday night that played against Hull, and it could be that Paul Dummett and Mike Williamson keep their places at Goodison Park, although we cannot see Santon bring dropped.

Certainly Pardew has to send a message to the players that a performance like that against Hull City,  is simply unacceptable for this Newcastle side – completely unacceptable.

What do you think – and what would your back four be for Monday night?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• irish_mag

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Can someone help me out as I’m not familiar with the Newcastle area? I’m getting my Dad tickets to the Norwich game in November, I was wondering if people know which hotel would be better to stay in, Hotel Indgio or Sandman Signature Hotel? Bare in mind that my Mam will be coming too, and she’s more into shopping than NUFC, so I’ll need to have her close to the shops!

• GeordieDan

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Irish_Mag>

I’ve not stayed at either hotel but I pass the Sandman Signature Hotel on the way to every match and that looks very nice, plus its literally right outside the St. James Park AND closer to the main city centre shops (Eldon Square shopping centre, Northumberland Street etc etc ) to keep your mam happy! 🙂

The other hotel on Fenkle Street is still close but a couple of minutes walk to St James Park/Eldon Square.

If it were me I’d definitely go for the Sandman if I had the cash mate.

• bishopblaize

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM

It may not be a nice feeling when goals are conceded BUT no matter what Team you support, if your on the receiving end of a thrashing you automatically blame your own squad for under-achieving.
    In an ideal world we know what we want.
    I’m looking forward to every Prem game this Season and all Cup Ties .. It gonna be rollercoaster for everyone.
    Only Arsenal & Spurs are proper geared up for this Season.
    Man U, City n Chelsea still finding selves in new found roles with BIG expectations lol
    AND us and every other Team know the gameplan of the League .. U gotta win to get points to survive.
    I should gan for the Sunderland position ..
    .. What utter shite I’m dribbiling
    Morning all

• irish_mag

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Cheers GeordieDan!

I’ll go ahead and book that so. Sounds like it’ll suit everyone!

• fatman

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Billy Bulls*tter opens his mouth without engaging his brain again presuming he has one, we don’t have goals, we struggle to score, the only time we have had a 2 goal lead was against league 2 side and 13 placed championship side Leeds. we have scored 5 goals in 5 games and only played 1 top team, and if i remember billy its you who does the defensive training and they do have goals in them 8 goals conceded, so i think its time to bring in a defensive coach as billy your no good.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Fatman, just what I thought too.