Local Lad Could Force Himself Into The Side

We had thought after the Leeds United game that Mike Williamson could have kept his place in the first team, and replaced Yanga-Mbiwa last night, but once Alan Pardew started talking about his first choice back four from the Hull game, we thought that wouldn’t happen.

paul dummett

Paul Dummett – should be given a chance at Cardiff City

And it didn’t as Pardew gave the back four and goalkeeper another chance after the Hull City debacle, but we were simply hopeless in that first half and Everton simply tore us apart.

Mike Williamson did come on in the second half and put in a solid performance, and we’ve always thought Mike is a better player than he’s given credit for, and certainly he can concentrate in a game and usually puts in a solid performance, and he offers some height at the back.

So Mike will start alongside Colo at Cardiff City on Saturday, but we also think Alan Pardew may make at least one more change in the defense.

Tim Krul has not looked good in the last two league games, and was at fault for maybe two of the goals last night, and he almost gifted Everton a goal with a poor pass to Cheick Tiote, but we think he’ll keep his place and Alan Pardew could well give Paul Dummett a start at left back.

David Santon is a good player going forward, but he was left standing by the speed of Kevin Mirallas for that first goal, and his defending has never been the best part of his game, and we need some solid defending now.

With Paul Dummett doing very well when he has been given a chance in the first team, the back four for Saturday could well be Debuchy Coloccini Williamson and Dummett.

And Alan Pardew is under pressure to deliver results, make no mistake about that, and he has to quickly fix the defensive problems at Newcastle, which have been our weak link for at least the last two seasons.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I would be interested to know from anyone involved in the protest march what they want to happen in the actual game that day? Should we beat Liverpool, then the protest will have a hollow ring to it as it will have been a very good result. For the protest to gather a bit of pace momentum and support, it would need us to get beaten, and the more we lose by, the more resonant the protest will be.

So, do you want us to get a hiding for the cause, or win and the march look a bit less meaningful?

• theartfuldodger

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Krul,Debuchy,Willo,Collo,Dummett,jonas,anita,cabaye,obertan,remy,gouffran

Thats a team pardew can set up. Its defensive with obertan as a running outlet and jonas to get free kicks.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Force his way into the side?? I think Santon has hung up the white flag, rolled over and allowed him in after that showing. I hope he does well if given the chance, but I think we should all hold back a bit from building him up too much prior to him actually doing anything of note.

• Slank

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Repost

Lilongwe Geordie @ 11

Managers don’t think like that.

They know that all owners are difficult and single minded and have achieved their position and wealth in life by being ruthless.

• theartfuldodger

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Lilongwe,
    You can pen down a defeat to the top 7 sides before kickoff.
    I base that on the manc and everton games.

• Slank

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Lilongwe Geordie @ 1

Do you know what they will be protesting about, specifics I mean?

• believeintoon

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I don’t think JFK has good connection as well,besides he says he can phone to AF and Wenger anytime.

By the way,Santon was horrible yesterday,so it would be good to test Dummet.

• catchy in norway

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Jonas is the first name down on the team sheet for Cardiff

• Transfer Sage

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM

slank

Protesting to get Ashley to sell the club to another person. For Ashley to start to actively look for a new owner instead of just sitting in charge of the club doing nothing with it.

• catchy in norway

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

we have a management team full of bluffers, all talk a good game but carnt back anything up

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Ed – 5th bottom not where we expected to be after six games. Eh? You serious? One of the things that Pardew’s c.v. tells us is that the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy is a possibility.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I would happily see santon and sammy both start the bext game. They both put in twice as much effort and understand their role more than santon and HBA…they may not be better players but they are certainly more useful at the current time.

Until HBA learns to do defensive duties he shouldn’t be playing no matter how key he is going forward.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

As for league position…not a huge worry, a couple wins changes that massively at this stage in the season.

The problem is where we are dropping points and how we are dropping them.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Lilongwe

People keep spinning out the line, “a man who was proved to have lied in court”, but what really happened in court?
    – the club was proven to be guilty of constructive dismissal as KK could reasonably assume that he would have final say on transfers and he did not
    – that assumption was based on no mention of this in the contract
    – comments from KK’s lawyers about lies which were justified by saying that MA didn’t want KK to have final say on transfers but they didn’t want to contradict him in public so that was the public message

This was a constructive dismissal case not a defamation or libel case. MA wasn’t found guilty of lying, he was found guilty of constructive dismissal. How many owners, managers and players have lied? Virtually every one! “We’re not in for this player”. “I will not leave this club”. “I didn’t dive” blah blah…

I really don’t find it that relevant, just frustrating that our club had to get the headlines when 2 giant egos (KK and MA) clashed and had to take it to court. KK would always win the fan’s vote of course.

• catchy in norway

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Blackley and Brownlie player wise we should be top 8,

and when it was asked where we thought we would finish, I said bottom 5, 1 reason only,, pardew

we git tanked last night because he went with a defensive mindset, , 3 DMC , HBA our link to the forwards, but shoved out on the left, starved of the ball

even in the second half, we did not create much, a wonder strike and a scrappy one, but no real chances

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Slank,
    I’d assume the initial protest march would be to drum up media interest, support, and recognition of their cause – Mike Ashley’s removal.

On managers, I’m fairly certain they will take into account aspects of the previous managers tenure. Did he get money to spend, was he backed, but I also think that some will look at the stability and potential. My point was that it is impossible to say what a manger would think when he looked at Ashley as an owner, which is what TDS was alluding to.

Artful,
    Possibly, but it is different penning down a loss, and wanting a loss.

• cyprus

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Ciaran
    I do see your points regarding MA, but really, that’s not how real life works. 99%, if a company (especially a private one where a hostile takeover is almost impossible) isn’t performing, you get rid of management, not the owner… The other alternative is to get rid of the employees (players et al) but they aren’t easy to replace from one day to the next.
    Conclusion: AP has 10 games, if he doesn’t turn it around, he must go, simple. Teams like Soton, Norwich don’t get the kind of embarrassing displays we do… Someone else might do better. If not, then begins the dismantling of the squad, which wouldn’t be the end of the world, given our recent record. Ashley ISN’T the coach, dude.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

The problem with a new manager is either:
    1 – MA assures him that he’s going to own the club for the long term and the new manager has to work under the pressures of protesting fans demanding change
    2 – MA doesn’t assure him of this and the new manager runs the risk of being out of a job in a few months if a new owner comes in

Either way, I don’t think any top manager would risk his reputation for us. So it’s either a risk with Pardew or a risk with someone else who could even turn out to be worse.

Or Ashley sells (and he won’t until he gets the right offer – regardless of protests) or the protestors stop and put all of their energy into supporting the team (which they won’t do either).

Safe to say that I’m really hoping Pardew sorts it out against Cardiff because otherwise it could turn into a right mess…

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

TS

1n your post 12, do you mean dummett.

• joeinthecheapseats

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Pardew comes in for a lot of stick but when Ashley foes sack him the next manager as like the ones before will be stuck with an owner who wants everything on the cheap and won’t pay the going rates.
    After last season everyone knew we needed 4 players being a centre half left winger and two centre forwards
    Did Ashley strengthen one centre forward in and we have the same problems
    Toon in the south to defend Ashley your blinkered pal.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

At least mackems recognised the problems. we are stuck with the problem and have been so for near 3 years.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM

TDS,
    Yes, in court he was found guilty of constructive dismissal. In the judges statement he was also proved to have lied about certain circumstances during his testimony. But that wasn’t what the case was about, it was part of his evidence – hence it not being defamation or libel.

• Jonny

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Krul
    Debuchy
    Williamson
    Colo
    Dummet
    Tiote
    Anita
    Cabaye
    Ben arfa
    Remy
    Cisse

That’s the 11 I think pardew will play on Saturday against Cardiff as mbiwa and santon can’t defend and sissoko isn’t very good at football!

• joeinthecheapseats

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

No manager of any substance will work for Ashley
    He won’t buy the best available players you get the cheapest or none at all

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Sorry, the judge stated that it had been proved he had lied in his testimony.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

TDS,
    I understand some of your points, but why you feel the need to defend even when a Judge has stated otherwise sort of weakens any argument.

• pottsclock

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Left back should now be Dummett’s till his form proves otherwise. Santon has been poor all season.
    Right back is another question as there is no proper competition.
    All 4 centre backs have limitations depending upon opposition. Never thought I would be glad to see Willo back on the pitch yet he handled the physicality better. Against pacey, nimble attackers he’s a big problem though

• Transfer Sage

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

dhingra

yeh, sorry. i meant happy to see dummet and samym start.

TDS

I think a lot managers put up with much worse around the world than what ashley serves up, I think in spain you often see whole squads sold and not replaced yet managers get on with it as a lot in europe are first team coaches and have little say in who comes or goes…just say an area that needs improving and a player is brought in.

I’d say that we could easily get a much better manager in. Managers know their jobs are never safe and the owner can change his mind on a whim, it happens all the time.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I would love to see a overhaul f the players that aren’t playing there heart out for us , this is the team I would go for against cardiff

Elliot
    S.taylor willo collo dummet
    Gosling tiote cabaye
    HBA remy Jonas

I would rather see us getting beat whilst playing our hearts out rather than getting turned over whilst playing with no fire and passion

• Transfer Sage

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM

i’d go for

krul
    debuchy-taylor-colo-dummet
    anita-cabaye-sissoko
    gouff, remy, sammy

• jimmysmith

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Pards sacked because he couldn’t bring success under the constraints placed on him by the owner.

Would hardly auger well for any change in the way Ashley funds the club. Surely a better and more likely solution would be to back Pards with a top young technical director of coaching and few extra bob for the transfer kitty.

Isn’t there going to be money made available anyway, so get the coach in now and a couple more bodies in January. Ashley can’t be enjoying this and surely not prepared to allow it to continue.

Then again he might just sack him and stick Joe in for a bit to see what happens. My heads spinning!

• Slank

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Transfer Sage @ 9 and Lilongwe Geordie @ 16

Seems a bit pathetic really. A protest march complaining that the owner hasn’t spend enough of his own money. How much money do they think he should have spent?

If anything, the march should give the fans of other clubs a good laugh.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Leazes,
    HBA played his heart out??? Colo?? Debuchy??

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Lilongwe

Because I read the statement from the court. And it doesn’t mention lying. The comments for lying come from KK’s lawyers and are directly referring to the club lying to the public and the media to state that KK had control over transfers when in fact he didn’t.

I think they are something like “the club admitted that they deliberately misled the media and public regarding…”

Your initial statement is often one that is taken out of context in terms of either MA being proven to have lied in court (as far as I am aware he did not lie while giving evidence) or that MA lied to his manager. I have seen no evidence that says MA told KK he could have final say on transfers, just that the contract did not explicitly state otherwise. The only reason I’ve read for the lie was because KK told everyone he had final say and the club decided it was better to stick with that message in public rather than publically state that KK was wrong. I wonder at what point the club realised that they has screwed up the contract though.

Look, I still think that Mike Ashley is an egotistical pr*ck and I’m not happy with the way things are being run at our club but if anyone wants to go up against Ashley then they better get their facts straight. Imagine a debate between someone in Ashley’s camp and someone tripping out lines like that.

Let’s get it right so we can criticise Ashley for what he’s really done badly, rather than things that aren’t actually true or relevant.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

TS

Yeah they do put up with a lot more. Yet KK wasn’t willing to put up with the club wanting to do a favour for an agent. KK was a legend in his first stint but why is he totally absolved of blame? If that was any other manager (other than Shearer) then fans would have been demanding that he just got on with it rather than dragging our club through the mud in court.

I don’t blame KK any more than I’d blame a lion for biting me if I stood on its tail though…it’s the nature of the beast.

Anyway, I’m not just talking about a journeyman manager like Pardew or the dozens of others in the game, I’m talking about a really ambitious manager who wants to get into the CL. They wouldn’t risk their reputation at a club like ours at the moment.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Slank,
    I don’t see a protest march which contains 5,000 (reportedly) Liverpool fans as having any influence at all on anything. The LFC fans cheapens it, but the thing that annoys me is they assume they speak for everyone. Personally, I’d like to see a new owner in place, but I can perfectly understand some peoples arguments for not wanting a new owner. He has done some good, and some bad.

For me, the putting of his own money in isn’t my issue with Ashley. It is more his other baffling decisions. I don’t see him as a financial saviour as some do, but I don’t agree with those who think he should bank roll the club every year.

I am interested to see how many go on the march, it will give a good gauge of how people are feeling, once the 5,000 LFC fans are taken out, I’d wager there will be less then a fifth of the match day attendance involved.

• Rake

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Missed the first half last night, It seemed the biggest issue was communication at the back. Our full backs where not even close to being in defensive positions. I think you have to drop Santon but Pardew might say to him last chance saloon perfom against Cardiff or Dumment is coming in.

My Cardiff team – Krul, Debs, Willo, Colo, Dumment, Sissoko, Cabaye, Anita, Benny, Remy, Gouffran. 4-3-3.

• Beattie25

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Don’t come on here often now as I hate the majority of you for being retarded.

And that’s exactly why I have come back. Most of you are idiots who literally know nothing about football. You think you do but you seriously don’t.

I was at the game last night (in the Everton stand) and let me tell you something. Newcastle didn’t improve last night second half, Everton eased off. From the stands you could see how unorganised the team was and if Everton wanted to exploit it they could’ve done but Martinez obviously had an eye on their next match.

The funniest thing from yesterday evening was Pardew. Above his head sat a fat man in a white shirt and all evening Pardew was shouting weird orders like ‘Goof hold the ball up’ when talking to Remy and dancing around like a thunderbird (quite apt that the puppet master sat above his head almost manipulating the strings).

My annoyance with the idiots on here are the ones that see 4-3-3 on paper and then say we played 4-3-3. That wasn’t 4-3-3. That was 4-5-who the fcuk knows. It wasn’t 4-3-3.

Goofy is a striker and yet played right wing for much of the half. Sissoko will never be an AM and Tiote is just shit without the ferocity he once had.

Time and time again we hear of the poor quality of our full backs but what the retards don’t get is these full backs are not being played in the right tactics to compliment their talents.

They are attacking full backs and when they are pushing forward they should be covered by the 2 DM’s and the CB’s (like Everton did). Pardew doesn’t have a clue and time and time again they are doing the job of 2 players without any cover what so ever.

Finally I hear people calling for Williamson. Ha ha ha. Typical Gerdies. I can’t beging to say how many times I’ve heard it in my years supporting this club. The tactics are wrong, the players lack direction and confidence, the opposition thump us and their solution is to turn to a player who has proven to be tripe over the past 3 years.

Same old with you lot. Williamson is shite. Mapou maybe doesn’t deserve his spot after last night be Williamson doesn’t deserve it because he’s the answer. He is not. Any fan with an ounce of intelligence would rather risk playing Mapou against Cardiff and hope substituting him will give him the fire than turn to Mike Williamson.

It’s hilarious. You idiots want Simpson back instead of Debuchy as well. My good God.

That’s your answer.

Ask a neutral, ask anyone who knows football and they will all agree. The team lacks direction, tactics, motivation and belief. It doesn’t lack talent.

I’ve been saying it for nearly 3 years. Pardew is the worst manager we’ve had in a long long time but you idiots are so easy to manipulate. Some of you need to either start watching football or wake up from the slumber your in.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

slank

Hardly…its to show people are not happy with the way the club spends its funds and wants somebody better in to make better use of club funds.

Look at spurs, greater revenue but they sell players more to fund others…if we cant spend our owners money then surely we should be able to sell to buy instead of standing still?

Also there is the situation on things like getting a sponsor nobody wants, renaming the stadium, splitting up the singing section, etc etc.

• ToonDarnSarf