Magpies After Top Manchester United Youngster In January

There’s news this morning that Manchester United youngster Wilfried Zaha, who was a target of Newcastle’s while he was Crystal Palace and before he signed on with the Red Devils last January, would be keen to come on loan at Newcastle this January, to get some first team playing time.

wilfired zaha lkj

Wilfried Zaha – cannot get a game at the Red Devils

The report is in Goal, and it’s a decent bet the Ivory Coast born youngster will be loaned out in January, since he’s only played once so far this season for Manchester United, and that was in their very first game – the Charity Shield match against Wigan.

The Red Devils are on the same points total as Newcastle – with just seven – but of course they have a better goal difference of zero compared to Newcastle’s -4, which is already the 4th worst in the league. 🙁

The news is that Newcastle, Swansea City, West Brom and  Stoke City as well as previous club Crystal Palace, have all made inquiries about a potential five month loan deal in January.

Wilfried turns 21 next month, and is said to prefer Newcastle in the bunch of clubs seeking his services.

But since Wilfried plays in the style of Sammy Ameobi,  shouldn’t we be giving first team chances to local youngster Sammy, rather than developing a player who be wearing the Manchester United colors in future years?

Tell us what you think about this – we think this will restrict the games Sammy will get, if Zaha does come on board in January.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

cjtoon

Exactly. We could congratulate Ashley for bringing the likes of Cabaye, Cisse, Colo and Sissoko to the club but then we get hung up on his SD adverts around the stadium…

I know there’s now someone appointed to improve communication but sadly I think for some fans it’s closing the door after the horse has bolted.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Read this: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/18/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

It shows us as the joint 7th highest in terms of commercial revenue for that year.

• theartfuldodger

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM

TDS,

People are trying to figure out why he owns the club.
    You discuss adverts and move on. Then something else.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

CJ,
    Further to response on last post. Your point about Man U is exactly why I don’t believe Ashley will be happy to doss around in the relegation zone. They will feature much more heavily on TV globally by either playing good football or being successful.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM

One of our most ardent Ashley apologists claims the club don’t lie to the fans, only talk to the media about events that don’t happen which apparently isn’t technically lying, however when I heard with my own ears from a club representive that we were the seventh highest spenders in 2013 as we spent 30M in January then I have living proof that the club doesn’t just mislead or deceive us but it blantantly lies.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Boro fans should be grateful to Steve Gibson for having done exactly what Ashley has done! Irony…

Reading the facts in that article, Boro had a maximum of £6M for commercial revenue that year which will have included the shirt sponsor and everything else.

• JAMSHA

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM

plzzz we dnt need man u flops… his not so special… would rather get ince on loan

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM

theartfuldodger

He owns the club because he bought it and now it’s his asset.

It’s that simple. He can’t sell until someone offers the asking price.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

*doesn’t

• Graeme

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Obviously, we would be better off developing our own player, who also has the potential to still improve. Given the results of our Academy though, Sammi is a one off in recent times – another area of NUFC that seriously under performs!!!

• geordieboy83

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Morning lads and lasses, been hovering on here since January. Thought I’d sign up to add some constructive chat hopefully. Hope we are all well. First off for what it’s worth I love santon, he’s do young and perhaps being misused, debuchy I think comes in for a lot of unfair criticism as so often happens when a player becomes a scapegoat. On Monday I genuinely feel he could come off holding his head high as I don’t remember much coming from baines. He gets stuck in I like him. Mbiwa class act made mistakes Monday night but look at rio he’s had some mares lately but u wouldn’t write him off. Also Cardiff have nippy players so I actually think mbiwa is better suited than willo on Saturday who is a bit immobile.
    Sorry last point I wanna make is people are complaining everton took their foot off second half, maybe so but don’t discredit our lads it was a hell of an effort 2nd half. When Swansea and the likes are 3 down but fight back people are like I wish Newcastle had that spirit to come back, laudrup this laudrup that, but when we do do it, it’s not our fight it’s the other team backing off.
    Haway lads it’s not ideal at the club but it’s my blood, my passion and no matter what I’ll belt my bollocks off supporting them through everything. Haway the lads.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Jail…I think I read something about banners not being allowed at the Everton game with an anti ashley agenda, is that right and if so, what were the reasons?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM

TDS,
    Reading the facts in that article there is zero mention of commercial revenue.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Also, I thought articles were not correct. Or is it just articles that disagree with your “facts”

• cjtoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM

TAD,

“So cjtoon and Slank,

You expect big positive changes from Ash to improve the football ? Cause when he has the chance to take such decisions he doesent do so.

He dint sack pardew,dint invest in players and its not his fault ?
    Trow he will hire dicanio and even then ashley wont be blamed”

This is what i am saying What is a positive change from MA. Sacking the manager for me is not positive. I agree if it were my choice i would have sacked pardew at the end of last season. Now he is here, with a squad he knows and lets not do the whole “who would want to manage us” debate.

Didnt invest in players, well actually he has. Although as IBIZA said most considered this reactionary but the fact is we have spent money on “good” players.

If we can get to a financially sound footing without dipping into the overdraft. I genuinely think Ashley will invest a decent proportion of the new TV revenue into transfers/wages and staff. I would say £20mil per year would be reasonable. Obviously this is just my thoughts and we will have to wait and see but i think this was his idea.

And finally he wont sign di Canio. Oh dear

• cjtoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM

IBIZA,

sorry got a lot two answer for here it appears.

Yes i agree with most of what you have said. I think as a business orientated individual MA is rightly or wrongly focusing on the financials first. He is so close to having us as a profit making business (which we are). Yes we still have the Big loan to pay off but we have by all accounts been saved from a leeds/pompey situation. That in itself should earn the man some respect and more time to show us what he can do.

Obviously with the little to no knowledge he has of running a club he has made numerous mistakes. Particularly with personnel. Yes we should have strengthened after finishing fifth.

I said MA isnt the reason the players on the pitch are not performing. If anyone can pin this on him then he must be special!

Obviously i can hazard a guess e.g. staff, tactics, team selection, poor attitude, language barrier, new league, etc. what i mean is realistically we dont know as fans why the players are not performing.

When you see them not even seemingly giving 100% then clearly there are serious issues that need addressing. If this is Pardew then yes MA needs to do something about it.

• geordiesteve520

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Zaha, no better than Obertan for me, bags of pace and potential but inconsistent and unproven too.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Ibiza,
    The time4change banner I had with me was deemed to be political and was confiscated until after the game as though the Everton stewards had been warned that banners would be brought to the game. Censorship. Kim Il Ashley.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Actually on topic, I don’t mind Zaha, he is certainly better than Sammi, but he still has a lot to learn to be a top player, was built up by the press to be more than he is. A loan deal seems pointless for us. He would do okay, but we have enough to do that already, rather than getting him ready for Moyes next year.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I’d rather see if we can nick Adnan from them and get a pre contract signed for next summer with the kid.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

cjtoon…I was a long supporter of the sense in the MA plan to bring us stability with a view to then push on with the proper foundations.

I still am. My issue is that for a multitude of reasons, I no longer believe the intention is to push on as I have seen no evidence of doing so, only to maintain our PL status. This isn’t me saying that Ashley is happy to finish 16th / 17th, as I’m sure that is a little close for comfort, but the margins between top 10 (I believe they mean 9th / 10th) and the relegation spots is minimal these days and doesn’t leave much room for error.

He has shown that the club can do some really smart business in the past, funnily enough, during the season we exceeded all expectations.

He just seems to have taken his foot off the gas.

I just don’t believe what they say anymore, so don’t know how to just sit and wait patiently hoping that they will do the right thing next time.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Jail…Would it be political to bring “Ashley In” banners, covered in love hearts?

• Graeme

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM

CJ Toon – It was Ashley’s stated intention to spend around £20 million a year of his own money on NUFC, once he had achieved financial stability and got the club on a “Self Financing” footing.

Then it all went pear shaped, relegation followed, which ended up costing him a lot more than he expected, keeping on players to get us straight back up.

It just seems to be a never ending episode of Crisis Management, we seem to stagger from one into another; this is down to those in charge at the club.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM

On Time4Change, I went on their facebook page yesterday, apparently the aim of the march is to promote the city and demonstrate all that is good about the club to prospective new buyers…..

You know what always screams positive to me is a protest march, and I’d expect anti regime chants against an owner combined with 5,000 fans of another club.

• theartfuldodger

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

TDS,

Are you trying to say that he is least interested in NUFC now (no real purpose),regrets it,but is stuck with it ?

Fair Enough..

• Scottiedog

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Anyway……..And back to the Story!!

I would rather push Santon upto the wing and put Dummett at LB until next year and then hopefully Ferguson will come good!

• cjtoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I’d say that as a global brand it would increase brand awareness.

That is what im saying but we are not a global brand in the same league as your Mna Utd’s.

Do you think there would be a bottle shop, effectively a bar/off license here called Sports Direct without it?

Do they buy a great deal of merch from SD? As a bar is suspect not. Does their name generate huge income for SD?

It doesn’t make you think, okay, I will go out and buy stuff, but when you do need stuff the Brand comes to your mind.

-this is because they are the best in their field! As with all markets the best businesses will do well. They have underpriced all their competitors bought cheap failing brands and rebuilt them under SD and provide the market with what it wants. Cheap sporting goods. Thats why people go their because they are selling something they want at a price they deem acceptable not because they have ads at SJP.

Do you think there is no correlation with the increase in growth and profits of SD internationally since its marketing partnership with Newcastle began, showing SD advertising throughout the world to huge audiences??

-No i don’t. Im sure a company of that size and with their growth strategy has not. The increase in profits is due to market competitors being eroded slowly. They have very little competition for the bottom end sporting goods market. They are the primark of the sporting goods world and as such are expanding globally. People like their product and they have very little competition. this means inevitably they are growing and being successful.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Lil,
    I can’t see any other way, do we wait until we’re relegated or just take it until he’s got his money back and he starts taking us seriously or sells up.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Lil…I think many are at the point where they need to do something. If they don’t channel their efforts responsibly, I think the bad feeling will result in actions a lot more damaging to our reputation that a hopefully peaceful march.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM

CJ,
    Market competitors being eroded slowly? You realise this happens because of increasing brand awareness right?

They have very little competition for cheap sporting goods? Are you joking? In the Asian markets they are moving into they have masses of competition.

You seem to be basing your entire argument on a UK market which they now dominate, rather than a global market which they started entering just before Ashley purchased NUFC.

Ashley’s people even told John Hall that the whole purpose of buying the club was to promote the brand through advertising via Newcastle United.

• cjtoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Graeme,

Yes to a certain extent we do seem to go from one crisis to another. What i was saying is that i think for the first time since MA has owned us next season will be the clearest indicator of his intent.

That is if we are still a PL club. He clearly wants our books to be in the black this year and as TDS pointed out earlier has decided against taking back the £18mil loan.

Don’t get me wrong I am no fan of MA but i think people go a bit far. Everyone at the club has to take proportionate blame for underperformance as it is a business. I understand frustrations as we all feel them but maybe we should vent in other directions.

• North Atlantic Magpie

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Mapou didn’t have a bad game against Hull. Debuchy had a bad game against Hull that cost us two goals. Mapou did have a bad game against Everton but so did Colo and Santon.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Cj,
    Every year/window since I’ve read and posted on this blog somebody different has said we will see Ashleys true ambition this next……..

• Tsunki

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM

So whats the current status of craic on this weary blog? Is it generally assumed we are going to push for relegation this year again? I have a gut feeling if we really try we can achieve it, then we get another shot at a championship title! Happy days! 😀

• Ibizatoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Jail…To be fair, with each window we do get to see his true ambition…sadly it seems to be going backwards.

But you never know…

Only joking, don’t hit me.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Jail/Ibiza,
    I understand people have had enough and want change. I am pointing out the flawed logic of thinking marching through town, on a match day/Saturday, full of alcohol mixed with opposing fans would in any way shape or form make someone sit up and think,

“You know what, that looks like a great club to buy” Let me just ring up my broker to do the deal.”

Problem 1. Having Liverpool fans, 5000 of their fans joining a march to promote our club? Behave, asking for trouble.
    Problem 2. A Saturday, a load of people full of alcohol marching through town. If that isn’t a good excuse for a few morons to cause a bit of bother I don’t know what is.
    Problem 3. In what way is a protest march a positive for anyone looking at buying a football club?

Get rid of the Scousers, and say it is a march to highlight the issues and problems that this group of fans (They need to stop acting like they are on behalf of all fans!) find with the current owners. There will still be problems, how many marches actually are peaceful in the end?

Not to mention out of 3,500 people invited I think only a few hundred had said they were going.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Tsunki..Where the bleedin’ heck have you been hiding? Don’t give me this life and work rubbish.

That championship winning season was fun…

• cjtoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Lilo,

Yes obviously brand awareness aids all business. What we were originally talking about though is the impact of SD ads at sjp. In a world with a population in Billions what impact does this have on their expansion and profit.

I was focusing on the UK as that is where SJP/newcastle & said ads are based. If we want to do the whole global arguement then it gets even more diluted.

Undoubtedly they will face competition abroad and will rely on a very in depth retail strategy. I would hazard a guess that ads at SJP are not the main focus of such a strategy.

Really is there proof of that? If so whoevers idea that was needs relieving of their duties. buying a PL team to promote SD is very excessive.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Lilongwe

There are articles from reputable sources that quote factual documents like the company’s accounts…and there are articles from dodgy websites that just quote things as facts without any evidence whatsoever. So many people writing about football hear something on the grapevine and turn it into an article. It’s garbage.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Lil…All reasonable points and that is the big proviso for me, they need to keep a positive approach. I have not been involved in the discussions, but from what I understand it has been thought out and planned well, so hopefully that shows on the day. Otherwise it could turn out to do more damage than good.

My real point was, that I don’t think it responsible to sit and wait too much longer, someone needs to try and do something. It may not be perfect, but it’s unlikely it ever will. The alternative really isn’t any better.

I do understand your concerns though and do share them (except the scousers part, from what I understand this is the same group that campaigned to rid themselves of their previous owners – I don’t remember that being handled badly, but tbh, I wasn’t paying much attention to Liverpools plight at the time).