The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Have Four Players In French Squad

2:03 pm, Thursday, October 3rd, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Didier Deschamps has named the French squad for the upcoming friendly game against Australia,  and the World Cup qualifying game against Finland, which starts next week.

yohan cabaye villa park

Yohan Cabaye - recalled to France squad

And the France manager has recalled Yohan Cabaye and Loic Remy to the squad, so at least players at Newcastle know their International claims are, if anything,  enhanced by playing for a club with as high a visibility as Newcastle United.

Yohan was left out of the last two France squads, but his form in the second half on Monday night was absolutely outstanding and he also scored a wonderful goal after six minutes of the second half.

And Loic Remy has been in top form for Newcastle with three goals in just four appearances for the side so far this season, and he is also  recalled to the squad.

Mathieu Debuchy and Moussa Sissoko keep their places in the squad from the last World Cup qualifying games.

Here is the full French squad:

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham / ENG), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Mickael Landreau (Bastia)

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Monaco), Gael Clichy (Manchester City / ENG), Mathieu Debuchy (Newcastle / ENG), Patrice Evra (Manchester United / ENG), Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal / ENG), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal / ENG), Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool / ENG), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid / ESP)

Midfielders: Blaise Matuidi (Paris SG), Samir Nasri (Manchester City / ENG), Paul Pogba (Juventus / ITA), Moussa Sissoko (Newcastle / ENG), Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle / ENG), Clément Grenier (Lyon)

Forwards: Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille), Olivier Giroud (Arsenal / ENG ), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid / ESP), Dimitri Payet (Marseille), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich / GER), Loic Remy (Newcastle / ENG)

Tags: International News · Loic Remy · Mathieu Debuchy · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · World Cup 2014 · Yohan Cabaye

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 magicbus // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM

As long as they come back fit and healthy.

• 2 Mark // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Debuchy should be dropped from the Newcastle starting 11, the only reason he has to be picked is exactly that, he HAS to, because we have no other right-back.
    Sissoko appears to be a ghost, I hardly see him doing anything on the pitch. Needs a kick up the backside.
    Fair enough Cabaye and Remy.
    Mbiwa should lose his place to Williamson. Mbiwa is inconsistent, he seems to have no awareness and no positional sense. He also seems to lapse in concentration often. I think he’s a liability, one that Colo doesn’t need. Williamson is also more vocal and a rougher defender, one who’ll get in attackers’ faces.

• 3 cjtoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

cjtoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Geordieboy,

I wrote a huge long post but my net crashed and i lost it only to find lilo essentially summed up most of my point also.

for me my desire is to feel the excitement and anticipation for us agian. Its been a while since i did. I used to love the butterflies of watching a match the heart in mouth moments the goal celebrations, but now i just wait for the inevitable long ball or defensive collapse that are always waiting just around the corner.

I would love to see a higher tempo pressing determined playing squad with a bit of genuine creativity. (for me tempo and attacking with pace creates chances on its own).

I got heaviliy criticised for saying it was a chore to support NUFC last season and to be honest i still feel it is.

All i ever want to see is 100% commitment and tempo/desire/determination from the playing squad and even that is lacking. I would happily settle for mid table every year to enjoy watching us and actaully pleasantly anticpate matches again.

• 4 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Hats off in other news to Fraser Forster, the one that went away. To be fair, it was all about timing and he did the right thing going to the ‘oops, wouldn’t have had games against Barca with us, would he.

There’s probably nothing wrong with the players, just the coaching needs to be done better. Keep rotating the players who have a day off and they will all be lost. We need some security with a solid starting 11 but first get the tactics right dammit!

• 5 cyprus // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM

To continue with your train of thought. Cabs has been crap for two years. Remy looked a lot like Cisse in his last game: clueless. Maybe we should really be talking about the elephant in the room….

• 6 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Oh and btw Belfast – shut it.

:D

• 7 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Cyrpus…No need to call Tsunki an Elephant really. Let’s keep things civil.

• 8 cyprus // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

@2

• 9 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Theres an elephant in the dressing room, well glory be thats whats been going on! I knew it was a circus :)

• 10 cyprus // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

• 11 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Ibiza – its uncanny _ cyprus must actually know me. I swear I’ll leave off the pies….

• 12 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Tsunki..Would have been great to have kept Forster, but it was never going to happen.

I wouldn’t say he’s any better than Krul and I’m sure if we had done it the other way around we’d be sat thinking how nice it would be to still have Krul. But yeah, hats off to the lad, he’s doing well. Mind, Barcelona aren’t exactly a great side….it’s not like they beat Leeds!

• 13 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Tsunki…Oh right, I was thinking along the lines of pulling out your trouser pockets and “trunk”…never mind…

So yeah, football, pain in the backside aye?

• 14 cyprus // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Talking of Barcelona, that Bayern team isn’t too bad. Can’t we play like that?

• 15 geordieboy83 // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Thanks for your answers on previous topic lads. Great to see the important thing in general is pride in our team. I have to say I agree with cj toon that feeling if excitement rushing through you before a natch started. I’m a footy fan before glory. But a bit of success wouldn’t go a miss.

• 16 Slank // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM

What is interesting about that French group is that there are only 6 local players, the rest playing in other countries.

• 17 cyprus // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Tsunki,
    You are in Paphos, right? No? Thought I saw you there, the only guy with an NUFC shirt, Wonga in front? ;)

• 18 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Cyrpus…They’re alright, nothing special like :)

geordieboy…I think the success has become more of an issue not because of the time since we last won something, just that it doesn’t seem possible with our current set up. If you’re giving something ago, but miss out, then there isn’t any shame in it. This however is soul destroying.

Win a cup? I struggle to feel confident about winning a game against Cardiff at the minute.

Saying all of that, we’ll probably bluff our way to a trophy this season…actually, probably not :)

• 19 Mark // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM

@ Cyprus

Remy was isolated, no support whatsoever, Goofy was supposed to be the support but Pardew dropped him to the left making a 5 man midfield. When Cisse came on and Cabaye there was a higher line, more control, more pressure and more support. Which is why Remy scored… again. Cabaye changed the game second half. He’s a decent player, one man can’t hold a team though. If the rest are playing sh!te, losing the ball, leaving massive amount of space, not making runs or showing themselves to him then there’s not much Cabaye can do.

• 20 ronjohno // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I really think that we do have good players but the coaching team is totally inept. Just what do Carver and Stone offer – I think they just sail through not believing their luck that they are employed at all: never mind by a Premier League club
    I am not an admirer of Pardew by any means and deplore his constant excuses (unmerited usually) and I really would love to put his pen and paper right up his arse – you never see Wenger or other top managers taking notes – they have already sussed things in their mind- but I think if he had really good staff around him things would improve dramatically.

• 21 south coast toon // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM

what sticks out for me is most of that french squad are in top top sides, bayern,real,arsenal,liverpool,psg,man u man city these teams dont have crap players, so i assume that the 4 in the newcastle squad are of eqal calibre not playin to there bast at a club not doing to well, is pards to blame is it are training,we can look half decent at times but something is missing i dont know what but 2 many players not performing, and thats the problem now whats the cause
    watch our little french friends play for there national team….make no mistake every international player in our squad will want to be at the wourld cup this year so they should be all motavated…why do we look so bad in so many games for long periods….this isnt just everton beating us they are a great team and i,d of took that result before kick off, uknow loosing away from home by 1 goal isnt that bad….but why do we look so bad for long periods of games with all these internationals something needs fixing inside but what is it….

• 22 Ancientcoptic // Oct 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

There is still no place for Ben Arfa. It goes to show that Deschamps falling out (Marseille) with Ben Arfa, and seeking revenge is more important that the national side, petty & pathetic. How many talents must one national side waste. Ginola & Cantona come to mind.

• 23 mattnufc // Oct 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM

What has Sissoko done to earn a place in the team?

previous post: Magpies After Top Manchester United Youngster In January