The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

These Two Starters To Lose Their Place At Cardiff

9:15 am, Thursday, October 3rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

Alan Pardew’s job may be on the line in the next few games, and he has to get Newcastle back to their winning ways soon, so the manager will make at least two changes from the team that started the game at Everton on Monday night.

Newcastle United v West Ham United

Davide Santon – starting place under pressure

One good point is that we have some players pushing for a first team start – and after last week’s Leeds United game we thought Sammy Ameobi, Mike Williamson, Paul Dummett and Cheick Tiote all looked good.

And it could be that three of those four players will start at Cardiff City, with only Sammy missing out.

This is what Alan Pardew has said in the local press:

“Fortunately, there are a few players who have played their way into the team in the second half.” “There’s no doubt about that.”

“We showed some pride, and that we’ve got good players at this club,” “We have to make sure we put a team out that get us a result at Cardiff.”

Mike Williamson will keep his place, after playing well in the second half on Monday,  after he came on for the inconsistent Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, and we’d like to see local lad Paul Dummett get a chance at left back in place of Davide Santon.

And with Dummett doing well every time he has played in a Newcastle shirt this season, now may be the time to give the 22 year-old local lad his big chance.

So we expect Yanga-Mbiwa and Davide Santon to be on the bench on Saturday.

Midfielder Yohan Cabaye had a very good second half at Everton, and he scored a great goal and he will start in midfield so it’s two from Anita, Tiote or Sissoko who will make up the midfield three – and that’s a tough choice for the manager.

Pardew must get the team right for Saturday, and somehow has to manage a very inconsistent Newcastle side, which on Monday looked absolutely hopeless in that first half, and then in the second half we were the better side and pulled two goals back.

Go figure.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Coaching · Davide Santon · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Mike Williamson · Paul Dummett · Premier League

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM

UpAndHatem

Do I really? I need to read an article on a joke of a site (The Mag) that regularly churns out speculation as fact or just completely makes up garbage.

So…the facts in this article:
    – they were willing to offer £3,000 for every home game. So considering league and cups that’s maybe 25 games? £75,000…wow! We could go out and buy a whole new player for that! Well…one good enough for the Conference anyway. So thanks for further proving my point that it’s chicken feed.

Secondly, did you consider that the initial email and FIVE unanswered voicemails were worded in such a way that the club knew it was a PR stunt from the anti-Ashley brigade? Why would they entertain that???

You’re nitpicking and being ridiculous. There is nothing here to contradict what the club said that they would rent out the advertising space if another partner wanted it. And considering the interest free loans, it’s chicken feed compared to the amount of interest that Shepherd would have had us paying!

Finally…simple logic…Ashley doesn’t own all of SD but he does own all of NUFC. So if SD paid NUFC then Ashley only loses a certain percentage of the money in terms of cash in SD but gains all of it in terms of NUFC.

It would be a bit like paying my girlfriend £10,000 to work for me but I pay £8,000 and my business partner pays £2,000. But the whole £10,000 going into one of my accounts anyway…

• 2 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Lilongwe

It’s not an interesting piece. Nothing in The Mag ever is! I thought better of you to trust that garbage…

Look at the reasoning above.

When I use NewsNow, I have blocked:
    Bleacher Report
    FootballFanCast
    Harriers-mad
    NUFC Fans
    talkSPORT
    The Mag
    thisisfutbol

Because all of those sites are full of rubbish.

• 3 dcdick // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Pardew out !!!

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Ibiza,
    I think they came in straight away, although they only really became a problem to anyone when the Keegan debacle occurred.

• 5 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM

TDS…Maybe it’s just early, but I’m not following your logic on payments between SD and NUFC.

Surely the issue is now which method benefits Ashley best, but as two separate companies, which they are, SD should pay in full to NUFC as otherwise that company is left short?

• 6 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Lil…Cheers. I remember they’ve been around a good long while, just looking to clarify when.

More to do with the thinking / intentions of Ashley at the time. All trivial of course 🙂

• 7 JaxtheMag // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM

ed those players looked good againsed leeds and morcombe, yor talking rubbish.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM

TDS

I get your point about ashley only owning part of SD but all of NUFC…but at the end of the day it’s pretty irrelevant anyway.

the figures you gave me the other days shows in stadium advertising is much less than 0.1% of clubs total earnings so it makes no difference.

I think it does do a lot of good for sports direct to be associated with us, and the fact they get a mention a lot…Sports direct arena for a while, newcastle and sports direct owner mike ashley…etc etc, it all helps sports direct, but i don’t think it hinders NUFC in anyway so i’m not too bothered.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM

i think dummet looked very good against man city, worth his place over santon

• 10 theartfuldodger // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

TDS,
    Yup,the advertising article is not good. Doesent prove much.

What I dont understand about Ashley is
    How can a man with no experience in football , who keeps making mistakes, refuse to take help from experts other than Kinnear(hardly an expert) ?
    Cant see any genuine effort to improve footballing aspect.

• 11 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Ibiza

One thing to consider is that the amount is really quite small. We only generated £13M from commercial activities in total. I estimated the stadium advertising would be around £100,000 or so, the article in The Mag states that they were willing to pay about £75,000. Don’t we have more important issues than quibbling over £100k revenue for the club??

If it was worth so much to Ashley, then he could advertise at any club. Why not advertise at a Ligue 1 club? Are there really than many French people watching NUFC games and seeing the advertising? Come on…it really doesn’t add up.

The club claims that if another company wants to become a NUFC partner and take the signage space then that will happen. I have no reason to doubt that.

I think it’s incredibly petty for people to get so annoyed about a few signs around the ground.

And besides, of course our owner should get something out of it, he’s not paying himself millions and getting rich on shares like his predecessor.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

TDS,
    If you actually read my reply, I don’t really take on anything in the article. As for your responses, you don’t know what the emails said, or the voice mails, so again you are jumping to conclusions. Now, if you read my comment you will see my reasoning for why I don’t think they are for sale. The club says no one is willing to pay for them, see the Fans Forum notes, I find that difficult to believe as we always managed to find buyers for space previously.

You point to the paltry figure that the club would have received, well marketing execs put the figures at around 5-10million a year for the advertising space. That is comfortably enough for a player purchase, even the way we operate.

Stoke City receive £31 million a year from Bet365 for advertising and betting partnership. Coates owns Stoke and is the majority shareholder, like Ashley in Bet365.

Our betting partnership was recently announced with an Asian betting group and was a figure of a few million.

Are Stoke a more alluring advertising partner than us? I highly doubt it.

• 13 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

TS

Exactly. Thank you. Bigger fish to fry and all that.

There are some silly people on this blog who keep talking about non-issues regarding Ashley rather than actually focus on the key problems.

• 14 Transfer Sage // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

dodger

I agree. You would have thought he would hire some very good technical directors to make sure the club was run to maximise the money that is invested.

He is no idiot, we can see that from being a self made billionaire, so i can’t get why he hires the likes of pardew, kinnear, and a lot of the coaching staff.

• 15 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

theartfuldodger

Because he’s an arrogant pr**k. That’s one of the biggest issues I have with him to be honest. I wouldn’t mind if his mate had very recent experience at a top flight football club and he then hired him, but JFK is out of date and a minor figure anyway.

• 16 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

ArtfulDodger…The only semi logical reasons I can come up with to answer that are:

1) He simply doesn’t know who is an expert and maybe believs Kinnear is.
    2) He doesn’t really care, he just wants someone he trusts…for whatever reason.
    3) A bit like number 2, but more a case of hiring people to do exactly what he wants, which really has no bearing on developing the footballing side of the club…you know, people to just keep it ticking over and keep us in the PL. To progress would take more investment / smart planning and the goals of doing so are just not that important or worth the risk.

I liked the fact they hired in a fitness coach. Whether it will work or not is somewhat irrelevant, the intentions were good. I’m just not sure why that’s where they stopped. Surely it wouldn’t be too costly to beef up the coaching team a bit, get some new ideas and methods rolling around.

However, this could be down to Pardew…we can only guess.

• 17 Transfer Sage // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

TDS and lilongwe

If the figures you give lilongwe are true then questions do need to be asked. They vary masively from the ones TDS found the other day.

Not sure what the true figures are but if they are that high is a big issue.

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Lilongwe

£31M a year for Stoke? No way, absolutely none. And Bet365 are their shirt sponsors so the equivalent of Wonga, not SD. Stoke used to get £4M a year from Britannia.

Actually, I’ve just found the details on the £31M. It was to buy a stake in Stoke City.

If marketing execs put the figure at £5-19M, how on earth could our commercial revenue be just £13M when we have several sponsors.

Your figures are way way off mate.

• 19 ArtyH // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM

If M.A had been around the toon in the mid 90’s and seen first hand the feel good factor that was generated by Keegan’s entertainers he would have been left in no doubt as to the way to run the football club! The toon were most supporters “second supported ” club because of the way we played the game and Keegan’s heart on the sleeve attitude. You just couldn’t buy that kind of attention and M.A’s profile if he could recreate that atmosphere would be incalculable and its ramifications for S.D and his other enterprises would also be magnified. If he could only show some interest in the team and do the sensible right and honourable thing he would reap the rewards, and surely the fans would have to forgive to a degree if the team were successful. Its a win win situation if only his pride would take a knock his bank balance would swell even more.

• 20 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM

TDS…I think that’s a bit of an unfair viewpoint to be honest. The amount may not be that big in the scheme of things (I’ll take your word on that for the sake of this discussion as I can only speculate at this point as to the value), it’s more to do with principle.

There are two issues here for me.

1) We’re told we need to find ways to increase revenue as we struggle to be competitive financially, yet we don’t collect money for advertising? The amount is irrelevant. I have always thought it was a form of loan interest payment and could even accept that really, but cal,l it what it is.

2) I have no reason to believe or not believe the Mag article. Instead of just dismissing it as made up rubbish though, I would be more interested in seeing if they can provide any more details / proof. You know, get the full story, the actual facts. At the end of the day, IF the fans are being lied to, they have a right to know.

I’d rather people spent their time on this sort of topic, rather than the where has the AC money gone type of discussion as that doesn’t result in anything at the end of the day.

People are trying to make conclusions without much information, can’t knock them for wanting the truth.

• 21 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

The £5-10M would be the amount a SHIRT SPONSOR should pay, i.e. Wonga.

The SD advertising is worth chicken feed and a hell of a lot less than the amount that we used to pay to Shepherd or to the banks in interest. So I really wish that point was just parked.

• 22 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Ibiza

I’m not going to spend my time investigating every single article than some wanabee journo publishes. I dismissed The May a long time ago as they regularly churn out complete garbage so I don’t read any of their articles.

I dismiss it as rubbish because it’s just irrelevant and heavily laced with bias. It’s obvious that the whole intention was to be able to write an article like that and do you seriously think that if a representative of SBR’s charity would contact the club to discuss sponsorship then they wouldn’t consider it? It was an obvious MAOC style PR stunt that they would have spotted a mile away.

• 23 bishopblaize // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Santon should play forward on wing. He’s proven us his style in Attack and with us now having cover at LB its a no brainer.

I recon we should try Cisse in a position Furter Down Pitch and just make him Work!

Make or Break

We’ll win at Weekend 🙂

• 24 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM

TDS…Whilst I can see that as a possibility, you do seem to have a disposition to dismiss anything from an anti angle unless it is 100% backed up and correct, but willing to give the benefit of doubt to the regime.

Whilst I understand why you challenge the anti crowd, you don’t seem to take the same stance with regards to Ashley, other than accepting he has some faults. Doesn’t come across as a balanced viewpoint.

I wasn’t asking you to do the research, but just pointing out that it is probably worthy of some thought / investigation as it could well highlight another example of the club lying to the fans.

We both agree that a big issue the club could quite easily rectify is communication and a bit more transparency, well for me, this topic falls right in with that.

It may well not be 100% factual, it may well be completely made up, so should we just ignore it and sweep it under the carpet?

If the club were aware that it was part of the MAOC (is that a guess, as there are other campaigns…not just that one?), then surely it would have been in their interest to give actual details? What do they have to hide?

• 25 theartfuldodger // Oct 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Summing everyone up,

We have an owner who is arrogant,wants to keep the club just ticking over. Has no intention to hoard free advertising. Gives interest free loans. Supposedly doesent withdraw or make much from the club. And doesent appoint experts either.

Looks like everyone is suffering from “Find a purpose for Ashley to own NUFC” syndrome.
    Which gives rise to different accusitions from diff ppl.

Unless thers some really secret agenda invisible for 6 yrs(apart from arrogance),
    Id have him tested for mental disorders. That would answer stuff.

previous post: This Is About The Whole Team – Not Just The Manager

next post: What’s Exactly Wrong With This Newcastle Player?