Alan Pardew Has Really Helped Me – He’s My Mentor

41 year-old Malky Mackay is a good friend of Alan Pardew, and he played for Alan and was the captain when the Newcastle manager was managing at West Ham, and Malky says Pardew is also his mentor in management, and apparently the Cardiff City manager has called Alan  a few times for advice during his management career at Watford and Cardiff City.

Malky Mackay +poEHzlb_6H2m

Malky Mackay – Alan Pardew is his mentor

This is what Malky Mackay told the Journal today about the Newcastle manager:

“Alan is a good friend and a mentor.” “We have had some amazing conversations in the last few years that have really helped me.” “I was his captain at West Ham and I know he is a man who can bring stability to Newcastle United – that is why they gave him a long-term contract.”

“Just look at his record there – he orchestrated that.” “The first half at Everton was not what he wanted.” “He changed things a little against a very good Everton team,  and in the second half they played like the Newcastle I have seen so many times.”

“In the end they almost nicked a draw, which would have been unbelievable on the night.” “They have some excellent footballers. Papiss Cisse is a proven goalscorer while Cabaye is a top class international footballer.”

“Give him an inch and he can put the ball in the top corner from 25 yards.” “And Hatem Ben Arfa is absolutely unplayable on his day.”

It’s true that Newcastle have some very good players right now, and our squad is the strongest it’s been since we got back into the Premier league three years ago.

But the players are playing nowhere near their best, and that’s the challenge for tomorrow in South Wales – it’s for some of our players to start playing near their best form. and also that our defense shows some signs of solidity and strength,  after leaking six poor goals in our last two league games.

If we can do that, we may even be able o get something out of tomorrow’s game.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Ciaran

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Go home Malkay, you’re drunk.

• Graeme

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Yep, thats why we are at the wrong end of the table, praying for a miracle to avoid three defeats in a row!! Its damn good this stability stuff!!!

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

How dare you become better than him MM. How dare you

• tequilamag

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM

quite right Graeme we need bold action. Let`s pick the latest flavor of the month like Sunderland did with Di Canio.

• Ciaran

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Anyway, impossible to have decent conversation when there are pot stirrers looking for their 15 minutes in the limelight so I will bid you adieu for this evening chap (and chapettes)

• Graeme

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Tequila – we couldn’t employ DiCanio mate, he used to work for the great unwashed down the road – it just wouldn’t be seemly.

• John Tudor

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM

who gives a rats turd

• BandB

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Ciaran,

Dorty student!
    At least, I hope so.
    It’s Friday night.

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

i often wonder what would happen if there was no jfk or carr and pards picked his own players to buy

• tequilamag

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Graeme we abandoned what could be considered seemly when we jumped into bed with Wonga.

• John Tudor

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

he would pick 10 players, 20 lambert and butlers and 5 park drive

• Ciaran

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

BandB

Work comes calling, and I must answer her dulcet tones…haha

All the best folks!

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Ciaran

I notice that you completely failed to address my latter posts on the previous thread. Perhaps you just missed them but it was rather predictable…

• tequilamag

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

JT as long as he had a Capstan full strength squad to pick from we would be OK

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

fatman

As you say, outsourcing isn’t unusual. So that’s hardly costing the club millions a year in commercial revenue is it? As you point out, it can often be a more efficient way of doing things rather than having to hire full time staff to do things that you might want to do only occasionally. I bet most clubs do.

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

fatman

£13M will be the revenue brought into the club. It won’t just be siphoned off to subsidies Rangers because it would have to appear in the books as an outgoing somewhere.

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM

tequilamag

You know…the Wonga thing rankles me. Bolton managed to get rid of their payday lender sponsor by protesting as soon as it was announced. We have a perfect opportunity to launch a legitimate protest and force Wonga and the club to change their plans (as Bolton did) and all we did was sit on our arses and moan about it for months afterwards.

I’m not saying I would have organised a protest and seeing as I’m hundreds of miles away, I couldn’t have, but with all these vocal and angry people on here, you’d have thought that some of them would have tried!

• tequilamag

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

TDS when it was first announced the overwhelming reaction to the deal was negative. That changed very quickly with the PR stunt of bringing back SJP . and the thought that a measly 6 mill was going to improve the squad.
    If the club sold it`s soul that day then an awful lot of our “fans” were bought off very cheaply.

• BandB

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

ToonDarnSarf,

And you haven’t answered my questions either.
    You have sometimes complained that people aren’t open to being swayed. I have said the same thing myself.
    I am 47, and |I am one of those people you mention who doesn’t really know what makes a successful business tick. It isn’t my field.
    How do you get insights into this stuff? Ashley does puzzle me, I admit. But that’s no reason to write him off, I guess. How did you get into this stuff?
    Sorry to everyone else.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Let’s see -23 last season, -4 so far this season, +5 for our fifth place season, and -1 for the 2010-2011 season when he took over which I will count as 0. So roughly speaking his overall goal difference with us is -22. How does that sound? Fairly impressive for a man who emphasizes defense. I guess if you can’t score it would be around 0 as long as you defend well so -22?

• GeordieTwo

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM

The -22 overall number says it all. Pardew has been a disaster considering the talent he has to choose from and put on the pitch. I know we had a lot of injuries last season but every club has to deal with injuries. We are a poor side even when we are mostly healthy as we are right now.

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

tequilamag

Sad isn’t it…

Apparently it’s about £8M a year for 4 years plus £1.5 investment into the youth team plus local schemes to help youngsters.

Clever PR stunt to get the fans onside hey…

• tequilamag

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

TDS sad indeed , but not surprising.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Spot on TDS and tequilamag. The whole Wonga fiasco is another black mark on our club courtesy of Ashley. I won’t buy any team gear with Wonga on it and many others won’t either. Think about it Ashley.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

BandB

Sorry, I didn’t see your question. I run my own business mate, only me but I know a little about how to sort accounts and things. I’ve also had pretty senior commercial roles in a few small businesses.

I don’t claim to be an expert in all areas and I’m no super-rich tycoon, but I know enough to provide a little insight into some areas within the club.

I also read a lot of articles on a lot of different topics in my leisure time so I tend to be fairly good at spotting good quality articles with solid information as opposed to those that are laced with bias.

Ashley doesn’t really puzzle me that much to be honest. I could be wrong of course but I think he bought the club partly as a fun toy and partly as an investment, but the man is arrogant and thought he could do it all himself, with a little help from his mates.

So he screwed up, the fans went ballistic at him and now he just runs it as a business.

The key thing for him is to increase the value of the asset (NUFC), that will happen by increasing revenue or increasing the value of the assets at the club (primarily this will have to be the players as the other assets are fairly static). So…if he has to spend £15M to get a player valued at £10M then the club effectively loses £5M worth of assets, but if he can get a £15M player for £10M, then the opposite, the club effectively gains £5M worth of assets.

It’s a bit more complex than that in the books in terms of valuing players and amortisation, but that’s a simplistic way of looking at it.

When he comes to sell, the club will be valued in terms of its valuable assets (players contracts, stadium, ground etc.) and its revenue (TV, Commercial, Matchday etc.) so the more those are valued at, the more the club is valued at and the more MA can demand for it.

Any buyer would value the club using a similar method so the valuation of buyer and seller should be pretty similar too. But then of course Ashley has every right to ask more than that amount…which I’m sure he will.

Hopefully a new owner sees the potential.

But…there’s also the problem of FFP coming more and more into force. The principle of this is that each club should only spend what we earn. It’s being phased in but in practice, that means that it doesn’t matter if Ashley wanted to invested £100M a season into the club, he can’t.

• tequilamag

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Geordie Two, there was lot of interest in the half and half shirt they wore for one game. I think it was logoless but I am pretty sure MA owned the company that manufactured it so you can`t even really get that one. No way wold I wear a shirt with Wonga on it.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

GeordieTwo

I won’t either mate. No way am I advertising that company Sadly there are loads of fans who buy every single new shirt and will do so regardless so it’s not as if their revenue will have been hit. I don’t think there’s any shame in wearing an older shirt. There are plenty of Newcastle fans with very little money so there’s no reason they should have to buy the shirt every year unless they want to.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Sorry…wrote an essay before…time to get off my PC I think…

• GeordieTwo

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM

We need to defend better. If Santon can’t cut it defensively he needs to sit and bring Dummett in. We have to find a way to stabilize the defense very quickly. Possibly even Saylor has to come back in as long as he is under control. Mbiwa needs some competition for his place to get his focus back. Push them hard Pardew or be prepared to leave.

• fatman

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM

ToonDarnSarf

Some say that when you out source you bring in skills you don’t have, but your under an illusion of you think Ashley is accountable to anyone for anything. he will pay the minimum amount of cash in tax that is why sports direct don’t pay for the St James’s averting it’s worth at least £20m but why would they pay £4m would go to pay vat then the rest would be taxable, that is why Ashley has never wanted to sell the club as its worth every penny he paid and hes had a large slice of his investment back in the form of the free promotion. if he can get rangers he could sell up or he might keep both and tell UEFA to get stuffed as the rules are contradictory in European employment and trading law, the only thing that could be argued was competition law and as they play in 2 separate country’s he could win, or he could just get one of his mates to pretend to buy it with his money.

• BandB

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM

ToonDarnSarf,

I thought you were going to keep this simple!!!!
    I had to Google amortisation.
    Apparently it means to reduce, kill and alienate. From the Latin.
    I’m sure that wasn’t what you meant!

• tequilamag

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM

can`t much simpler than this explanation

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM

fatman

Mate, you lose me completely when you claim the SD advertising is worth at least £20M! Not one single club outside the top 6 has more than £13M in commercial revenue (which includes sponsors) in the last figures that I saw. The most expensive advertising hoarding at Norwich for example is £6,000 for the entire season.

How on earth do you think the SD advertising is worth at least £20M when Wonga only pay £8M for the shirts and stadium!

Sorry, I can’t take you seriously when you say something like that, it undermines everything else you say.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

ToonDarnSarf // Oct 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Ciaran

TDsarf,You never answered my question abut denying the club not ony mislead and deceive us but blatanty lie to us after I mentioned hearing it with my own ears, a club representative tell us we were the sixth highest spenders this year because of the 30M we spent in January, and before you give me a breakdown on wages, agents fees, etc etc what about those that REALLY did spend more than us did they do it without paying their players wages and their agents fees.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Amortisation in football is how they value each player in the books.

On a simple level if a club buys a player for £10M (who is also worth £10M) on a 5 year contract then on day 1 they are worth £10M in the books. One year later they have 4/5 of the contract left so they are worth 4/5 of the value (£8M) and so on.

I believe they can re-evaluate the value of a player, obviously youth players never had a transfer fee, but that’s essentially how it works.

• BandB

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM

ToonDarnSarf,

So he seems to be aiming for flexible, but at the same time, best value solutions?

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

JfA

Yes I did address that and frankly I really can’t be a**ed to deal with this all over again, it’s getting tiresome it really is.

There’s one fact people like you really don’t seem to grasp. If NUFC doesn’t spend money in the summer, the money doesn’t just disappear into Ashley’s back pocket or find it’s way into Rangers’ bank account, it stays in NUFC’s bank account!

It’s a bit like if you don’t buy that nice dress for your wife this month and don’t buy anything more than usual, the money is still in your bank account next month too.

Simple isn’t it?

• tequilamag

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM

TDS I am no account but I think it refers too not paying tax because the books can show any profit which would be taxable can be used to reduce the overall debt and therefore not have to pay tax.
    Amortisation can also refer to the reduction of debt, either through periodic payments of principal and interest, or through use of a sinking fund.

• BandB

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Jail,

How are you? I hope you aren’t thinking too much and hurting your head. I’m talking to the Mr……..

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM

BandB

Yeah. Whatever makes the company worth more money. It’s not the best approach from a footballing perspective or a fans’ perspective, but it makes sense from a business perspective.

It also makes more sense that he wants the club to finish higher up the table for 3 reasons:
    1 – top 10 finishes will attract higher value sponsors
    2 – good performances may stabilise the unrest with the fans and make the club more attractive to sponsors
    3 – higher finishes generate more revenue from the PL

It’s just business mate, sad but true.

It’s a bit like the difference between having sex with someone who really fancies you and having sex with someone because you’re paying her to. They kind of have the same result but the latter definitely lacks a bit of soul…