The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – I Don’t Want To Play Rubbish And Win

9:50 am, Friday, October 4th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

One good thing we like about Alan Pardew is that he can stand the pressure and tension that comes with being the  Newcastle manager, and he was impressive in his press conference yesterday, and he looked calm and collected.

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Manchester City v Newcastle United - Etihad Stadium

Alan Pardew – he can take this kind of pressure

But he also knows Newcastle must quickly do a couple of things, we must start playing and up to our capabilities, and we also need to start getting some wins on the board.

Alan seems like he wants to see his side play well on Saturday, whether or not we take a result from the game:

“Usually, the result carries across from the performance. It’s important that we play with intensity.” “I think all our fans will be looking for a performance.

“The first half at Everton wasn’t a performance that Newcastle can be proud of.” “Cardiff  will have their tails up.” “They have an away win under their belts as well as the result at home against Manchester City.”

“This is a tough place to go at the moment. We have to make sure we match that.”  “If we put the negatives in their mind, like score a goal or put them on the back foot, we can change the whole psychology of the game.”

It’s all well and good playing well, but the Newcastle manager knows he’s in the results business, and Newcastle must get a result on Saturday, whether it’s a draw or a win – we’ll take the win of course.

Our players must show they are good enough to wear the famous black and white shirt of Newcastle.

Cardiff got a great 2-1 win at Fulham last week by scoring in added time,  and that heaped pressure on Fulham boss Martin Jol, and he’s under a lot more pressure than Alan Pardew right now, with Fulham having only 3 points from their first six games.

Let us know how you think the game will go tomorrow

How Will Newcastle Fare At Cardiff?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 numba9 // Oct 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Funny how these two clowns wanna offer their help to the manager when the window is shut and it is not gonna cost them a penny …. where was they when the last window was open… oh yes going on holiday and such like after only just starting the job. Kinnear is just a sh1t deflector for ashley and it all lies at his doorstep. Get out of our club !
    Re post

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Sage,
    Anita is a completely different midfielder to those you mentioned. Many top midfielders haven’t been able to beat a man. Deschamps, Makele, Pirlo is not great at it, Carrick, Alonso. What they offer is intelligence and linking of play, as well as the ability to cover players and read games. If Anita started pushing on more and trying to beat men then he wouldn’t fit in the midfield trio of Cabaye, Sissoko and himself anywhere near as well.

On Debuchy and Santon, I have no problem with them attacking, and as Geordie says, a lot of modern full backs are the same. The problem with these 2 is that they aren’t either disciplined enough to know when to go and when not to, or, they are under instruction to get forward as much as possible.

Mbiwa I think had been built up by too many as an outstanding player before joining. He was set up to fall because of that. I think he is better than Taylor as a centre back, but it is more of the combinations that is an issue for me.

• 3 geordieboy83 // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Sage
    Hi mate, I rate mbiwa highly I just think he’s a different type of centre back. I think Taylor is better as a physical presence but I prefer mbiwa up against a Defoe or hooper style striker as he’s quicker footed and in the brain than Taylor.
    With regards to Debuchy and santon I do agree they bomb on too much but that’s what we see crying out for lol.
    I think you would be hard pushed to find full backs that combine attacking and defending effectively. Zabaleta and baines maybe? It’s a common modern trend I think that modern full backs can’t defend a la Pearce, maldini etc anymore. As in previous post at the better clubs the full backs are covered better by the defensive midfielders, carrick, Barry, Parker, Sandro if you know what I mean. Our problem I think is we gave a forward thinking squad, with a 90s manager and a fan base that can’t quite decide if we wanna be the entertainers again or a solid outfit. And to have both that’s just plain greedy ; )

• 4 geordieboy83 // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Repost sorry

Sage sorry didn’t see your comment on Anita. Completely agree I don’t think he’s the finished article yet but is an upgrade on what we have had previously.
    Oh to have a cazorla would be nice lol

• 5 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I dont think im buying into the notion Pardew cannot get these internationals playing.

Pardew has mentioned consistency is the problem and this is what I believe is the major flaw here.

We have seen an improvement in Debuchy since January and also seen some cracking performances by M’Bwia. And then both have faltered and put in poor displays. As has Ben Arfa, it all points to a lack of consistency with the individuals performances. Infact it can be said about all of them. Some more noticeable than others.

The players “are” hit and miss game to game and to me seem to know what their job roles are, they are just putting in poor shifts on the day.

Whether you want to place this problem down to Pardew or not, A massive factor is the players ability on the night. He has that responsibility to do his job as asked.

I do think people place our current squad on an undeserved pedestal also. Some of these players just arn’t all they are made out to be.

• 6 Rotonda heights // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Apart from the 6 match winning streak when we went 433
    didn’t we play rubbish but got results when we came 5th?
    When has Pardew ever worried about substance and style over the result!!!

• 7 Transfer Sage // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM

lilongwe

But the players you mention like alonso, pirlo etc link up play from the back but have a much greater range of passing than anita. To me anita is a good player to have as we dont have many who can do a simple pass (all player should be able to really) but long term he needs to add more to his game.

Nothing against him, i just find him a basic technical player with no others strings to his bow currently, maybe he was better at ajaz and he is struggling with how we play? i simply don’t know as never watched him before he came here.

Geordie

I think mbiwa is shocking, the lad can’t even stay in line with the back 4 and he also doesn’t seem to pick up a man very well either, i hope he gets better and proves me wrong but i think taylor is very solid just prone to the odd daft moment.

With the fullbacks i do agree to some extent but the midfeld cant cover all the time as who would then cover the middle of the park? we would be over ran. I think the fullbacks need to be a bit smarter and maybe not both bomb on togethe, we don’t dominate possession like a barca, madrid, arsenal, bayern, etc to allow it….way too much risk compared to the reward.

• 8 geoff777 // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

There are only so many column inches. So any articles on the idiot Kinnear means less written about the puppet and the tightfisted billionaire.

One of these days I’ll wake up and they’ll all be gone.

• 9 bishopblaize // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM

What’s this about don’t want to Win a Game playing Crap .. Aint that better than getting beat after a bad performance?

I’m gonna be putting a wager for a Win 2moro .. 3 points a must.

Remy is a Geordie :) Hope we clean our act up so he will stay on Tyne

• 10 Wiz // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Very interesting that the club officially denied any meeting between Ashley and Pardew at Goodison Park after the game. It was definitely an official denial in an official club statement. And now Pardew, in his pre-match interview, tells the truth. He had a meeting at Goodison Park after the Everton game with both Ashley and Kinnear. I wonder if he offered his resignation, as one of the papers said he did? When fans wonder why some of us have a low opinion of our owner, I would ask them to reflect on little incidents like this. If they can’t tell the truth about whether or not a meeting took place, they won’t be able to tell the truth about whether we are trying to win a Cup, will they?

• 11 Rotonda heights // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM

The trouble is it’s blatantly obvious throwing new players at Pardew isn’t the answer.

Under Pardew all these new players are losing market value and are becoming depreciating assets with their their increasingly demotivated performances all the time.

If I couldn’t inspire a team with half the current French national side I would be very worried. Give Remy time and he’ll go backwards along with Sissoko, M’Biwa Cabaye and Debuchy.

We need someone who’s going to come in and put smiles on these player’s faces and let them play. So many good managers out there like Rodgers, Laudrup, Villas Boas, Pochettino, Martinez who could transform this team.

Ash has to weigh up paying off Pardew against the players becoming non-profitable resales and losing a drinking buddy. Mind you Llambias has walked.

• 12 catchy in norway // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM

my big problem with pardew is this very thing he is talking about,,
    as mentioned above, pardew does not know how to get a team playing football, and nearly all of our wins come from individual player skill, not a team performance,
    normally no support for forwards , just long balls into the box,
    if he happens to go in front first, we tend to try and shut up shop, even if we score in the first 15 mins,
    chasing a game , he has no clue how to change the shape, makes the same changes always takes the wrong player off.
    i mentioned this the other day
    after 6 game last season, we were better of than this one in every way, and he says he has a better team ,

not looking good

• 13 Owldman // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I’m not concerned about the possible sacking of Pardew thats the price of failure in football however what does concern me as season ticket holder is his possible replacement, if rumour is to be believed it would appear that Kinnear has already approached Mick Hartford to be his assistant & I cant see him doing this behind Ashleys back, sad, sad times ahead for Toon I think,

• 14 lesh // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I think folk wouldn’t mind how goes play as long as we win!

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Sage,
    Yeah, they do, but I still think you are being overly critical of Anita. Of course he is capable of learning and improving – even Ronaldo reportedly puts in extra training to continue improving. But I think the role he plays he doesn’t need to spray passes about, he just needs to get us ticking from deep.

He has been one of our top performers so far, whilst many others haven’t turned up.

• 16 ArtyH // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Rotonda heights ( at 11 ), well put m8, I would take not getting a player in January and Pardew getting the sack as a good result. At least if we got a decent new manager in, at least then the squad could progress and hopefully recapture their natural talents and start performing again. IMHO they have been demotivated by crap coaching and so many different changes they do not know if they are coming or going.

• 17 geordieboy83 // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Sage
    Fair enough mate it’s the beauty of footy having our opinions on players.
    I agree our full backs go forward to often but I do believe it’s due to Pardews negligence as he can’t seem to get the midfield to press and attack so sees his full backs pushing on as being extra offensive. Not that simple though.
    The bloke is a walking contradiction I want us to attack but we must defend. I want us to threaten but I will quite clearly be heard holding my midfield trio back not to press the ball for fear of being caught out.
    He ain’t solely to blame but if he can’t decide what he wants the players must scratching their heeds thinking do I press or sit or hoof it or pass it.

• 18 ArtyH // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Also about playing bad and winning, in our position I don’t care how we play we need points on the board! Play bad and win until we get 40 points then its O.K to look at how to improve on how we look. Just cannot see it changing as I don’t think he is capable of the change or even knows the capabilities of his players and how best to use them.

• 19 ArtyH // Oct 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

FFS the way people are talking football is a difficult game, its not, following the basic principles of, pass and move, attack as a team and defend as a team, everyone work together and help each other out, finally when we have the ball and are attacking we look for space while running forwards leaving the defence as backup but available to contribute to the forwards. Then after that its all about the talent of the players and the will to win, as its never about the dog that’s in the fight, its the fight that’s in the dog! Rant over.

• 20 Blofal // Oct 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

We have been playing rubbish ever since we were promoted. It has only been individual acts of brilliance from the likes of Cabaye, Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa that has got us over the line in most of our wins in my opinion.

Link up play and general tactics and game play/plans are seldom what create our goals.

Until we obtain the manager and coaching staff to allow us to adopt that type of playing style our gorm will forever be up and down.

• 21 geoff777 // Oct 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Crap performances, crap coaches, crap owner … GET OUT OF OUR CLUB WE HATE YOU!

• 22 Ancientcoptic // Oct 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

”“I would like a performance.” “If you said to me we play rubbish and win, would I take that? Probably not. I want us to play well and win.”

I will be the first to admit, after the season we finished 5th, I was calling for this. You cannot play rubbish and keep on winning; first of all it is not what Newcastle are about, never has been and never will be… secondly, this style of football always gets found out, and when it does, things go terribly wrong because the team has to learn to attack again.

I like Pardew, and I would like him to succeed at the club – it is obvious he is very passionate, as viewed with his many theatrics/arguments/celebrations on the sidelines – but if he does not have the foresight to get a defensive coach, or fix up that defence, there will be nothing anybody can do to save him, as he will have dug his own grave.

The season we finished 5th our defence was a combination of titanic and lucky, we absorbed so much pressure that season, but it was suicidal to try and sneak a goal and then park the bus.

Pardew has the right idea for the club, he has nit the nail on the head… I just hope he can turn his words into action.

There is enough flair in our team that Pardew could nearly just forget about working with them for a week, that back line should be in everyday being drilled from the start to the end of the day, drill them into the ground until they get it right.

I think we will beat Cardiff, but if they put 3 goals past us, I do not expect to see Pardew in charge the next day. Make or break time.

previous post: Pardew – I Can’t Keep Any People Happy Any Of The Time