The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Could Be Key In Capturing This Top Player

9:56 am, Monday, October 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

Loic Remy has been interviewed at length in the local papers today after rifling in two great goals to give Newcastle a great 2-1 victory at Cardiff City and Saturday, and now Newcastle are joint 9th but in 11th place on goal difference.

Cardiff City v Newcastle United - Premier League

Fantastic action shot of Loic Remy scoring on Saturday

And Loic has confessed that he can progress as a player under the coaching of Newcastle manager Alan Pardew who seems to know when Loic is not doing his best in training, and talks to him about it, in fact Alan seems to talk to French International a lot.

This is some of what Loic has said in his interviews today:

“Alan Pardew is very close to me, he speaks to me a lot when he feels I am not concentrating in training, so for me he is a very good manager, and I think I can progress a lot with him.”

“I am ambitious so I want to do more. My record is 17 goals in one year so if I can do more that would be great.”

“I am a striker, I know my quality.”  “I try every week to score, I work hard in training in front of goal to have precision.”  “It is good for me and the club and we are winning games.”

It’s a real pity we didn’t sign Loic in January, because if Loic keeps up his excellent goal-scoring form – and of course we hope he does just that –  bigger clubs than Newcastle will come in for the £8M striker next summer.

This is what Alan Pardew said about Remy today:

“I think he’s a player who is on our books at the moment and we’re pleased to have him, but at the moment he’s a QPR player.”

“It was interesting to see Harry Redknapp’s comments saying he probably won’t be coming back. We’ll have to see what happens.”

“I wish Remy had signed for us in January,  and  I still remember the night clearly when we thought we’d done the deal for him.”

“We’re really, really glad to have him.”   “He was really good on Saturday – not just his two goals but his work-rate. Everything he did was competent.”

Remy will have a decision to make in the summer, but we’re almost certain that Newcastle will try to sign  the player permanently in January, and put him on a decent wage on Tyneside – he’s certainly worth it.

And of course the Newcastle fans can also have a big impact, by asking the top Frenchman to make his home for the next few years on Tyneside – we need players like Remy if we are ever going to be a good side in the next few years.

But the 26 year-old may resist signing in January, because he will know some bigger clubs will come in for him next summer.

We hope Joe Kinnear can come through for us in January and sign the player – but it also seems like Alan Pardew could be very important in persuading Remy to make his move to Newcastle a permanent one.

What do you think?

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Coaching · Loan Moves · Loic Remy · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 Slank // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Repost

Mindshaft @ 2

I will be very surprised if £8m remains the asking price for a recognized Premiership goal scorer if he continues to score at his current rate. He must be in the £20m range

• 2 JAMSHA // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

if he doesnt wana sign move on… n plzzz sign a biger player in jan no excuse by the club

• 3 Slank // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Ed,

Are you plagiarizing yourself as didn’t Cabaye say this in one of your previous posts:

“I had a nice glass of wine and we’d had a hearty handshake then the next day he wasn’t here.” “Sometimes in life you have to wait though – and if you wait long enough it comes around”.

• 4 runheed // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Yes JAMSHA I think if he doesn’t sign in Jan then he’s not likely to. We need to start looking for a replacement and not wait until the last minute. Aren’t there people employed at NUFC for just this purpose… as a business NUFC seem to be hopelessly ineffective

• 5 toonincheek // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Even if we could agree a transfer fee, I have
    my doubts that we could agree a wage deal.
    Isn’t Remy on 80K a week at QPR?
    No way we are going to match that – but
    someone else may do.

I reckon Remy would like to stay – he is
    enjoying his football and I’m sure that’s part
    of the story for him, but who can blame him
    if someone else offers a much higher salary?

• 6 Graeme // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

If past experience of our transfer dealings is anything to go by, we agreed a value for Remy last year. He ended up at QPR, for a better package, which says everything you need to know.

Having fixed his value, MA will expect to get him from QPR for what we agreed to buy him for in the first place, which is what QPR paid for him. No doubt MA will expect the loan fee to be deducted from this amount, so expect us to make an offer in the region of £6 million.

Anyone with half a brain cell will understand that Remy will be going absolutely nowhere for a fee that our Owner and and Director of FA will be prepared to pay. Ambition – I doubt if the dynamic duo could even spell it!!! We live in hope.

• 7 Best9 // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

so who said this, Cabaye or Pardew?

“I wish Remy had signed for us in January, and I still remember the night clearly when we thought we’d done the deal for him.”

“I had a nice glass of wine and we’d had a hearty handshake then the next day he wasn’t here.” “Sometimes in life you have to wait though – and if you wait long enough it comes around.”

one entry says it was Pards the other says Cabaye…

• 8 JaxtheMag // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

pardew letting his tongue run loose again,see what he is saying after the nxt few fixtures,we beat a very average team on Saturday.

• 9 Rainrix // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

For everyone who asked it was pards who gave the interview

• 10 roy // Oct 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Remy won’t sign for Newcastle, we are just his ticket into the French team. He will join Spurs or Arsenal, Pardew is getting his excuses in already about being able to hang onto him.

• 11 Spoof // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

We’ll sign Remy in January for £8m and then sell him next summer for £12m lol

• 12 Spoof // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Toonincheek

I could be wrong but I’m sure I read somewhere that we are paying all of Remy’s salary, so we are currently matching what QPR pay him, so wages shouldn’t be a problem.

• 13 firebug666 // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM

We should pull out all the stops and sign him up in January, all being well with him.

• 14 clinath@ed // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

NO Spoof……we’ll pay £8M in January, and he’ll stop scoring from February…..

• 15 Spoof // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM

clinath

it will probably be one or the other, I would rather it be the latter, as we would at least have the compensation of knowing that MA won’t be cashing in, how sad am I, but that’s what Ashley does to you, he numbs your senses.

• 16 martoon // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

The trouble with strikers is that they go through lean periods as well so you have to be sensible. Cisse is a good example – we thought we had the striker of the century after his first few games and now look!

• 17 wolfshead@toon // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

we are looking better this season than last because we have a proper striker its that simple watching ba yesterday shows how much better he is than cisse he uses his strength to get in to goal scoring positions and he has something cisse has never really showed – hunger hopefully bemba wont get many games and we can have him back :-)

• 18 Ancientcoptic // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Hopefully the release clause in Remy’s contract can still be used. The worries expressed by others that the price could go up is something that I share. I am also curious if we actually paid a 2million fee to get Remy for the season, and if we are paying his full wages on top of that. If so, I would like to think a deal is already put in place, in that we get a deduction for a perm move due to paying 2 million for the season loan. West Ham were able to engineer a similar deal with Liverpool after their loan for Carroll.

• 19 Rainrix // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Off topic but lets have a few laughs at our old mate harry

• 20 theartfuldodger // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM

We will get Ba on loan next season instead of remy.

• 21 Spoof // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Gus Poyet is to be announced as the new Sunderland manager within the next 24 hours.

• 22 Belfast // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Think there’s no chance of him signing for us, if I’m honest. God help us if he gets injured, because he’s carrying us at the minute.

• 23 Belfast // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Good appointment for the mackems sadly.
    Though I’m a little surprised they didn’t stick with Ball.
    They’ve actually played well the last couple of games.

• 24 WWSBRD // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Doubt we will get him as I have no faith in Kinnear to get any job done. Should have the option to but as soon as he is cleared of criminal charges and if we had a director of football worth anything we would have shockingly though ours doesn’t even know the extent of the single deal he did so I would be amazed if we had that in the agreement

• 25 Graeme // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Poyet!!! Far too good for the unwashed – they should bring Stevie Bruce back, he used to go a beautiful shade of purple after we stuffed them and the PA had “Daydream Believer” belting out. Obsolutely Classic lol

• 26 Rainrix // Oct 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Belfast… In my experience caretaker managers usually do well in the very short term until a manager is appointed. In the long term its risky to say the least. They did that with Ricky Sbragia after keane was sacked. He did well as a caretaker but it quickly tailed off as i recall and he resigned by the end of the season.

Funnily enough we probably had one of the best successes of a caretaker taking over as a full time manager in hoots.

• 27 mindshaft // Oct 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

On the Remy front, I understand that we have 1st option on him in the January window for 8 million
    which is the agreed buyout clause on the contract – they can’t just change it because he’s playing well (I think this fee is well known by everyone)
    It apparently expires before summer window so we either do the deal in Jan or lose him as no doubt QPR will up it in the summer if he’s the prem top goalscorer so will no doubt hope he rejects any Newcastle offer.

• 28 fatman // Oct 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Spoof @ 21
    i personalty don’t care if hes declared king of Uruguay.

• 29 martoon // Oct 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Graeme @25 Unfortunately they played that before the start of the Hull match – everybody was laughing but Steve Bruce got the last laugh!
    I can’t decide about Gus Poyet he is less controversial than Di Cannio but still unproven in the premiership – still a risk.

• 30 lesh // Oct 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Spoof @21.

If they do appoint Poyet as manager, let’s hope that he fully understands the difference between the dressing rooms and a toilet closet!

• 31 nufc 11 // Oct 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

This whole saga will leave everyone deflated come May when he goes elsewhere talking about leaving urself open for critizium if we were never going to go above a certin price for gomis why didnt we buy Remy outright he price has gone up by the day.

• 32 geordieboy83 // Oct 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Nufc 11
    I think we done the loan option due to pending court case but can’t be sure.
    On topic it seems Pardew as a man manager seems to be a bit decent at least. I know it’s been said before but if he was less stubborn and would take advice I think a coach in the Rene mulstein mould would be good. Tactics and man management working together. Now there’s a thought : )

• 33 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM

List of the PL’s leading scorers. just shows you how well Remy is at finding the net. If he gets injured we’re stuffed -historically over recent seasons he gets crocked every now and again.
    1 Daniel Sturridge Liverpool 6