The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Midfielder Getting Back To His Best Form

9:07 am, Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Cheick Tiote has had to struggle to get a starting position in the Newcastle first team this season because of the good form of Dutchman Vurnon Anita, but Cheick started the game at Cardiff City on Saturday and put in a good shift in defensive midfield, which saw Newcastle score an excellent 2-1 road win against tough opposition.

cheick tiote wonga 2

Cheick Tiote – had good game on Saturday

It was a perfect result for Newcastle after two successive league defeats, and the Ivory Coast International seems pleased with his performance, and he didn’t even get a yellow card:

“I think that’s me back to my best and it was important for me to play well in this game because it has been a difficult start.”

“I’m happy with my performance, and hopefully I can continue to play like that for the rest of this season.”

“It’s a good result for us and a big win because we lost two of our last Premier League games,” “I think we did a good job.”

“There was pressure on us to get a result especially when it’s not easy to come here.”

It was an excellent performance and the lads hung on in that second half, and there were one or two dicey moments for Newcastle, but we also had two or three good chances to score in that final 45 minutes, and really should have had at least one more goal to make the win more secure, and also improve our goal difference.

Cheick is in the Ivory Coast squad who take on Senegal on Saturday in Abidjan in World Cup qualifying, and then the two teams face off in Casablanca the following Wednesday.

So Tiote will be up against Papiss Cisse, who is still nowhere near his best for Newcastle this season, but at least the Ivorian is getting close to his best form – and that’s got to be good news for Newcastle.

What do you think?

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Premier League · World Cup 2014

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Rotonda,
    Which assistant did he bring from Barcelona?? His assistant at Brighton was Mauriccio Taricco who got the job immediately after being a player at Brighton. A player signed by Alan Pardew for West Ham many years ago.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Sorry, he became the assistant and then became a player again.

• 3 Grafton83 // Oct 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM

He was pants, he gave away possesion multiple times in the 2nd half and had to be rescued by collo. His passes was also poor as always. I don’t know how he keeps his place every week.

• 4 lesh // Oct 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I should think so too Lilongwe – the devil’s n the detail!

• 5 Grafton83 // Oct 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I’d rather have a cow pat in the middle of the field than Tiote, over time our coaching has ruined someone who used to be half decent.

• 6 pottsclock // Oct 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Poyet appointment at Scumberland confirmed

• 7 Rainrix // Oct 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Grafton…. I though he played better than he did last season, not saying much i know but hey, a mediocre performance from tiote is better than a good performance from anita in pardew logic! :|

• 8 theartfuldodger // Oct 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I dont know why people are going on and on about Anita.
    Its simple really..Pardew doesent know how to use him.
    For pardew there are 2 MFs in the centre,one is defensive and one is creative.
    Anita is neither.

• 9 NoClue-Pardew // Oct 8, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I wouldn’t say Anita cant defend or create. I think har can do both and also works hard. He plays the simple pass witch in my opinion is often the best to get some speed on the ball and movement around it.

previous post: Newcastle Remain Interested In Norwegian Midfielder