Newcastle Defender – I Always Have To Improve

We put out an article yesterday saying that we weren’t sure that Davide Santon was the best left back we have at the club – at least not defensively, and David has come out today in the local press and said he wants to improve his play.

Newcastle United v West Ham United

Davide Santon – wants to improve at Newcastle

And in fact in the poll we are running Davide is at the top followed by local lad Paul Dummett, who has always looked good when playing in the first team.

And yes, I screwed this one up (what again?) because I initially left young Massadio Haidara out …. oh well it must be that Alzheimer’s setting in.

Who's Newcastle's Best Left Back?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Davide has both Paul Dummett and a number of other players who can play well at left back, but this lad has always had a good attitude and he wants to improve his game.

This is what the 22 year-old told the local press today:

“It’s my third year in Newcastle, and I’m happy here,” “I’m just 22, and I have to always improve. I have to make myself do better every game.”

“I have experience, and I know what I have to do in the game. I always do my best, and that is what I will do in the future.”  “I won’t forget about last season,”

“We really have to think about this season, now we have three wins.” “Our away record is important. We have 10 points. We’re in a good position, but we can’t stop. We have to keep going and give 100%.”

“I think we played really well, especially in the first half,”  “We came back with three points, which was really important.”  “It was important on Saturday – all the team and the manager were under pressure.”

“We lost one game at home and one game away against Everton. We had a poor first half there.”  “We had a winning mentality at Cardiff. Three points were what we wanted, especially before the internationals.”

“The fans were fantastic. They always support us everywhere we go.”  “They’ve been fantastic in every single game, and they deserved this win.”

Good words there from the 8 times capped Italian International, who has now played 71 times for the Magpies.

We’re always amazed at the fantastic support Newcastle get on the road, and of course the traveling fans let it be known at half time at Everton that the performance from the team just wasn’t good enough and chanted “We want our money back.”

And in the next game and a half Newcastle have looked a good side and scored four goals and conceded one, but we cannot keep having the lapses that we had at Goodison Park.

It was of course just an excellent win on Saturday, but when league play continues after the International break we have a very tough game at home to  Liverpool, which is a game we lost 6-0 last season.

We have to turn up against the Reds a week on Saturday, but it’s going to be tough for Newcastle to get anything out of that game against a slick-looking Liverpool side.

What do you think?

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Does anyone like me think that the football season is a total cock-up.

Just start to get into it then we have a break

When the TOON have played Liverpool they will have played 8 league games and 2 league cup games in 72 days. (I know we have had Internationals.

Come winter its cold players more susceptible to injuries, from the 30th of November to the 1st of January the TOON play 8 games in 34 days

Crazy!!!!!!!

Not as crazy as the news coming out of Cardiff. malci mcKay’s right hand man has been put on gardening leave and a young 20 yr old or something kid a mate of the MD has been put in second n command and head of transfer policy.

• Spoof

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

The best we have isn’t in the voting list, thats Haidara.

• Ciaran

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM

C’mon Ed, you have a list of best left backs (which includes Gutierrez by the way) yet no Haidara?

• JackButler

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I’d have Haidara in before any of them other than Mapou

• bishopblaize

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Davide only 22, he done very well in position in Preier League!
    A few blips that most players go through have seen him come under criticism .. Its total bollox that someone has to come under fire when things aint going our way.
    We Won our last Game so as fans we should be supporting them.
    Any Job where you have a Bad Day has to be a learning curve and should be supported by your peers!
    I keep saying I’d like to see Santon on the wing .. You can see he dreams of becoming a Goal Scorer and Likes to go forward.
    Unless your a Baines or an Ashley Cole with support in areas that allow you to hurtle down the pitch unmarked then what do we do?
    The Centre needs to strengthend (with the players we have) we got some class in the Team that just need rotating to keep fresh and fighting for the Best Games.
    Giz a Job Ash .. A WIN @ Anfield & Sunderland is in sight 🙂
    The Home Ties are a Dead Cert Too!
    Back’em

• nufc 11

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Done very well are you mad man? Did you not see the way he played against Everton? the snail and the rabbit come to mind. If he played like that in a pub team hed be dropped let alone a PL team he is an untouchable in AP’s eyes why i dnt know, he was out of posistion for Cardiff’s goal last week, he was caught up the pitch against Villa wen Agbonlahor missed a sitter to many more to mention the man’s a winger being played at LB, He runs up the pitch and has to check bk on his right to cross defenders have sussed him out and ease him out of games as an attacker. Look at Coleman at Everton how much he has improved because he works hard at it Santon has had his chance and failed miserbly, When he became first choice LB was wen we started leaking these stupied goals at the bk which didnt happen wen we fin 5th Raylor not even mention but prob the best on the books at moment injury or not. Because he knows how to defend unlike some.

• The next Mike Williamson

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM

How bad to Santon and Debuchy need to play before Pards will even bring dummet off the bench? I think he’s earned a 2-3 game run. Santon or Debuchy would come back better after a rest