Newcastle Player Struggling – But Still Shows His Class

Gabby Obertan is having a poor time of it at the moment on Tyneside, and the Frenchman played for the Reserves, in their 1-1 draw with Bolton on Monday night, and the winger laid on the goal for young Adam Campbell, with a brilliant piece of wing play.

gabby obertan

Gabby Obertan – showed his professionalism

Gabby has made only one first-team appearance so far this season, and that was against Leeds United in the Capital One Cup,  where his speed twice took him  through on the Leeds goal,  but the goalkeeper saved both times, otherwise he could have had a brace.

Willie Donachie is the Reserve team coach and he praised the Frenchman on nufcTV after the game on Monday:

“Coming down to play with lesser players is always difficult.” “It’s easier the better players you’re playing with.”

“But I thought his attitude was very good – it was some of the players around him who didn’t show the same consistency.”

“He was outstanding for the goal and showed his class. It was difficult for Gabby and I was pleased with him.”

“The good things were the young players.” “Young Callum Roberts, Adam Armstrong, Quinny – Jonathyn Quinn  – they gave everything they had.”

It must have been difficult for the French U21 International to come down and play in the U21 side as an over-age player, but all credit to him for being so mature and professional – good for him.

Adam Campbell, Gael Bigirimana and James Tavernier also played in the game, but it would be much better of these three were out on loan getting regular first team football somewhere, but Alan Pardew said today it was proving a little difficult to fix them up.

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Scottiedog

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Watching Gabby in Europe last Season he looked really good at times but his end product is a bit hit an miss, speed wise he is probably the fastest player we have!? At the end of the day he is a great player to have on the bench and let run at a tired defence 🙂

• Thump

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM

“Coming down to play with lesser players is always difficult.”

That’s a really disappointing comment from Donachie. I wonder if this is something he tells the reserves and fringers…

• G

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Although I reckon this lads main problem is confidence, not skill, I just don’t feel it’s going to happen for him ever at Newcastle. I wonder if Southampton would doa player plus cash deal for Adam Lallana (cash going their way… obviously!) in January. Would love to see Lallana in a toon top. A winger who scores one in five games is a rare thing indeed, even if most of those have come at lower levels, he’s still looked better than I thought he would in the Prem.

• mattnufc

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Of course they are lesser players, they are the reserves.

• Jonny

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM

End up selling him to Swansea where he will go on to win the ballon dor probably.

• BandB

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Surely the root of this conflict over the march is between those who want to change the ambitions of the club, and those who want to change the ambitions of the fans?
    For the first time in over half a century, I am asking: “What is Newcastle United for?” I don’t believe this is about accepting years of austerity in return for jam tomorrow.
    I believe this is it. Being self-sufficient and competing for nothing.
    If that is what you want, fine. Don’t go along. But don’t claim to represent the traditions of this club either. Because this policy we have now is absolutely unprecedented.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Well said BandB.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM

BandB…Isn’t it a plan? You know, first becoming self sufficient and then competing?

It’s hard to convey my sarcasm and growing smirk as I typed that.

Facetiousness aside, the issue is a little murkier than that for some. I believe some are worried that the protest will prove to have a negative impact on the club and any decision making by Ashley.

For me, it all boils down to how the protestors conduct themselves. Hopefully they do as they say and it will be a peaceful stance to show we’re united and we want change. It’s a starting point rather than a solution. It may not change anything dramatically but it brings awareness and is more than just internet chatter. Something has to happen and this seems like it could be a positive first step.

• catchy in norway

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM

lesser players , wow it says it all don’t it,

I see nothing in his game other than speed that has any benefit to any team,

all he is , is a sprinter trying to be a footballer,

please don’t have a go at me for telling the truth, shit footballer , but seems a nice guy, he has only lasted this long because he was one of Pardews buys

• Ibizatoon

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Catchy…Other than very few glimpses of being a footballer, I have to agree (now 🙂 ), he is basically a very fast sprinter.

Whether down to confidence or not, it doesn’t seem we’re able to get the best out of him and we’re certainly not in a position at this moment in time where he should be getting started over other players.

Time to end the Squidward experiment.

• Toon Tang

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM

sell it to me willie hahahaha

• JAMSHA

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Gabby is too old.. his 22 now… time to retire… has passd it… could be a good coach

• BandB

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Ibiza,

I have seen some shocking prejudices trotted out the condemn this march.
    It will, it’s claimed, be up made of lardy, ignorant, Geordie losers, taking a break from drinking away their dole checks to punch a few police horses. They will be joined by a bunch of scouser car thieves. And led by professional belly-achers who hate Britain.
    I’ve heard this record before. And it has nowt to do with football.
    It isn’t about what we say to Ashley. He won’t be listening. But it IS about what we would like to say to ourselves, about ourselves.

• BandB

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Didn’t proof read…grrrr..

• Ibizatoon

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM

BandB…Sounds like a canny gathering.

Without wanting to sound disrespectful towards anyone, I can see where there may be a lingering fear of that type of turn out, but surely that is a minority and certainly not representative of Geordies in general.

I am intrigued to see what type of numbers the protest garners…from comments and online presence, it seems to be a good number, but it’s fairly easy to type how angry you are, actually doing something is another matter altogether.

Hopefully whoever turns up, lives up to the ideals behind the march.

Convincing ourselves it can be done is a good start in my opinion.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Spot on Ibiza @8.

• BandB

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Ibiza,

Maybe when Mike gets his state funeral, the “right” types will turn up to show how it’s done. Without being disrespectful to anyone.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Yes not squidward for me either. He’s had his chances with us. We can’t afford to have him on the pitch racing up and down and doing little else. We already have Cisse doing that (only partly joking there).

• Ibizatoon

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM

BandB…Should I feel as though I’ve said something wrong? I’m not suggesting only certain types should turn up, it’s a chance for all of Newcastles fans to do what we should…unite.

The only time “right” should come in to it is in the way fans behave, which should be the “right” way.

G2…That’s twice now…on a roll 🙂

• cyprus

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Still have not seen this guy dribble past a single defender in a Newcastle shirt. If anyone has video evidence, I ‘d appreciate it.
    He, together with Smith and Butt were terrible business with that club.

• BandB

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Ibiza,

I’ve missed you blogging recently. Studiously hidden away behind that facetious shield of yours is something the blog no longer has. A sounding board.
    Why doesn’t Squidward ever deploy his ink cloud to elude predators?
    I keep on waiting.

• catchy in norway

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM

agreed ibiza 🙂

band b

I have not spent much time looking at all the arguments ppl have against Ashley
    but I also have nothing against any of them who want to voice an opinion REGARDLESS of how they make there money.
    there opinion is every bit as valid as the next guys, and it wouldn’t matter if this march was with only very well educated ppl , maybe like yourself , Ashly would not listen anyway.

there will be many positives to come out of it as well . while my personnel beef is with pardew and the playing side of things I fully understand that there is in reality only one guy to blame for all of this, an that is Ashley,
    him his family his friends will all be listening, and me personally I think he should do 1 of 2 things ,
    1 get the right people running the club, get the club moving forward, we would love to challenge for things , but I understand its hard to compete even if he is a billion air , but that should not stop us being a successful premier league club , no where near the bottom of the league,
    or
    2 sell up and give someone else a chance to try and run it right,

regardless we all know it’s not being run right at different levels,

he drives the club

I honestly say well done to those brave enough to stand up and say something , against the chickens that say nothing and bury there heads

• JackButler

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

“Coming down to play with lesser players is always difficult.”

What a way to motivate

• GeordieTwo

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Old Willie certainly knows how to build up the confidence of our reserve players and U-21’s doesn’t he? How does he start his training sessions? “Right you useless twats, get oot here and bore me to death!”

• Ibizatoon

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM

BandB…aww shucks, you’re making me blush.

An ink cloud would bring something new to the table (field), that’s for sure. I bet there’s nothing in the FA handbook either. But in preparation…

FA New Ruling.

No player shall be permitted to impersonate a nautical animated character and dispose of ink or any other liquid on to the pitch with a view to distract other players.

It needs some polishing, but I just saved those fine folk a few months deliberating on that one.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Willie: “Right then lads, today you’re going to get a master class from one classy individual”.

Enters Squidward.

Willie: “Right then lads, time to pick yourselves up off the floor…come on, wipe those grins off your faces”

To be fair to Willie, he’s just trying to give the lads a benchmark to shoot for. Nowt wrong with having ambition…oh yeah….my bad.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Ibiza 🙂

• Thump

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM

@mattnufc: How would you feel when somebody publicly says that you’re a bit shit at whatever you do for a living? I think you missed the point. Massively.

• BandB

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Catchy,

Well educated?
    I hated school. I never went.
    So much so they lost me off their records.
    I was successful later.
    There are only two ways a person can go in that situation.
    You take the leg up because you are think you are clever and deserve it. Or you remember.
    “I catch him when he’s strayin’ like any brother would
    Man turns his back on his family well he just ain’t no good.” Bruce Springsteen.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Or this from Willie: “right then squidward that was a lovely bit of running lad but where did you leave the ball?”

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM

BandB,
    Personally, I would love Ashley out, and to all those who march good luck to them. However, I am personally not really in favour of the march.

Firstly, the stated aims on the Facebook event page for the march is to promote the club and city. This is where I have a bit of an issue. I personally don’t think a protest march can really promote something in a particularly positive light. I think that I would be more on board if the aim had been to highlight the grievances that fans have with the way he runs the club, and to gain national coverage of our displeasure. It makes more sense in my mind.

I also don’t really feel the need for scousers on the march. Some say they will be there, some say they won’t so we will see.

My final issue is not really something that can the march can be necessarily be held responsible for, but the opportunity for a few mindless idiots to spoil it for the entire group is wide open. It doesn’t even have to be a NUFC fan, it could be someone just turning up to cause bother. But any event like that could have repercussions on the fans image.

Having said all that, after reading the Q&A with the organisers, I thought they came across very well, and I hope that it all goes well on the day.

So, in my opinion your initial statement about the march being by those who want more ambition, and the non marchers being those who settle, I disagree. I know a few, and I’d imagine there are plenty of others who want Ashley out, but aren’t convinced the march is the right format for doing it.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Squidward: Ermmm….there’s a ball?

• JackButler

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Always thought that managers, coaches and players had media training?…………obviously not at NUFC

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM

It fails to mention that not long after he had a great chance with just a defender on the line, Campbell had gone past the keeper and pulled it back, but he blazed it over.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Lil…If I may jump in?

“I think that I would be more on board if the aim had been to highlight the grievances that fans have with the way he runs the club, and to gain national coverage of our displeasure. It makes more sense in my mind”

Do you mean the aim of the march to be promote that? Isn’t that what it is meant to be doing? A united voice saying we don’t like the way the club is being run and we want change. Whether than be a change in owner or change in the way the owner is running the club?

I do share your worries about the potential banana skins of this march, but I’m not really sure what other options the fans have to make their voices heard.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Just think mates Ashley is considered a tightwad yet he pays Obertan 20 or 25K a week just for looking like squidward and amusing us now and then. Now that’s downright generous in my view 🙂

• JackButler

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM

‘You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear’ comes to mind whenever Obertan is mentioned. The lad would have made a decent sprinter but will never make a decent footballer at the highest level

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Barnacle Boy…is it Spongebob time? 😉 hehe

• Ibizatoon

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM

G2…A very good point. Maybe we’ve got this all wrong?

Jesper…When is it not?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Ibiza,
    According to the facebook page it is to promote the club and city in a positive light to potential new owners “A peaceful and legal march aimed at promoting in a positive light the untapped potential of NUFC and the City”.