Newcastle Player Explains Why He Was Not In French Squad

Newcastle United midfielder Yohan Cabaye has again been interviewed by the French press and he has told them he is very happy to be back in Didier Deschamp’s French squad, after being left out of the last two squads.

yohan cabaye wonga

Yohan Cabaye – left out of France’s last two squads

The 27-year-old former Lyon star was left out of the France squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and Belarus in September, because he was not match fit and he had refused to play for his club, when Arsenal came in for him in August.

Yohan has vowed that he will pay back Newcastle fans and do his talking on the field, and certainly last Saturday he was in top form in Newcastle’s excellent 2-1 win at Cardiff City.

This is what Yohan told the French press about being back in France’s squad:

“I’ve missed it. It’s not easy to stay at home when you see the national team playing and you have the chance to be there,”  “I was left out for various reasons, mostly because I wasn’t playing with my club. It’s been a long time since I played.”

“That gave me more hunger and motivation to give more of myself, play good games, and come back as quickly as possible. I’m here today and I’m very happy.”

“It’s going to take a very good season with my club, try and get the best possible results and be in the 23-man squad for the World Cup, if we qualify.”

“I prepared all summer long to be ready for this season, and I’m continuing to work.” “The months of August and September when I wasn’t called up gave me extra strength to come back very quickly.”

“Now I want to stay with Les Bleus for as long as possible.”

It looks like if France are to qualify for the World Cup finals in Brazil next summer, France will need to get through a playoff as they are likely to end up second in their group to Spain, the current World and European champions.

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• jimmysmith

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

In a previous post I had attempted to write “legitimate owner” and my bolshy, shit stirring auto correct immediately turned it into “egotism ate owner”

Fuggen thing isn’t content with overruling my choice of words, it’s apparently decided it doesn’t think much of my politics either.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Van Toon Man – previous post re Obertan. He is not 22 years old as you state but 24 years old -dob 26.2.89. He should have learnt his trade by now. Old Red Nose sold Percy a duffer -but Percy will keep trying with him to save face. Obertan might be a good lad but he will never make it in the PL.

• Sav

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:27 AM

What do you think of his comment: that his “failed transfer to Arsenal was very hard to swallow for him”? And now we hear he ‘doesn’t bear a grudge’? Hallelujah! Apparently only the evil Joe Kinnear knows why poor old Johan has to bear this burden with such stoicism.

I feel sorry for ya fella, really I do. After 12 months of mediocrity he’s finally pulling his finger out for the black and white and we should be grateful. Have a good World Cup, lad but please keep your gob shut until then.

• John Tudor

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:27 AM

claptrap

• John Tudor

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:29 AM

you sir are first and foremost a toon player anything else is a bonus

• cyprus

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Sav and JT spot on. It kind of bothers me that he’s trying to play well for other reasons: W Cup + transfer. I do get it that he hates JFK because of that Kebab blunder though.

On players, has Carr got stuck on France? I don’t care where a player is from. A good player is a good player. I don’t agree with the English player position either, if they were so good they’d be playing in the PL and not the lower leagues. But, surely our scouts should not be limited to one country’s pool? I know it’s far, but south Americans seem to do well in the PL…

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Sav,
    I thought the more interesting quote was;

“The fans’ state of mind was due to what the club wanted to let them know,’ said Cabaye, who was speaking to Sky Sports.
    ‘As I didn’t talk and I won’t give any explanation about what happened, they chose their side. ”

While as you say Yohan needs to pull his finger out and concentrate on doing well for us. Most of his comments were the same crap quoted for any player in his situation.

The bit I quoted above, and the Joe Kinnear telling the truth bit are all but a transfer request, and a way of playing on the current state of distrust to show him as not the bad guy.

• Ron Knee

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Your misprint ‘pout’ more or less sums it up.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Cyprus,
    The problem with South Americans is the work permit issue. We would most likely have to look at the lower standard South American nations, or pay a fortune to buy the top players – something we won’t do. Buying from the lesser nations mean taking the chance between getting a Nolberto Solano or a Diego Gavilan. Far more difficult to get right.

• bills-son

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM

On Cabaye – Pardew hinted that there was an agreement he could go if a club matched our value – and that agreement was no doubt motivated by Cabaye’s desire to leave not our desire to cash in.

Kinnear as DOF would have dealt with transfers and obviously dismissed Arsenal’s offer as too low – something Cabaye and his advisers would have disagreed with. Tough.

Cabaye kicks off, claims Kinnear is reneging on a deal agreed previously with the club and goes on strike in protest/to try and force the move.

Lousy, lousy behaviour – and to talk to the press with sh1t about “only Kinnear knows the truth” is another lousy attempt to paint Kinnear as the villain in this when the only villain is Cabaye himself.

What an ar$ehole.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Bills,
    I’m not convinced by your theory. I also don’t think it is all Kinnear at fault. I’d say it isn’t clear cut at all, and we are unlikely to ever find out exactly what went on behind closed doors.

I do find it odd that “only Kinnear knows the truth”. That part to me is Cabaye playing on the distrust currently around between the regime and fans. I’m fairly certain others at the club will have knowledge of what went on.

Still, it is exactly the sort of thing to do if you want to be shipped out. Barton, Enrique, Nolan all spoke out while at the club. All got reasonably priced or cheap ways out of the club. £10 million should get Cabaye now on that basis.

• bills-son

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Lil,

I bet my theory isn’t far from the truth.

One thing is for certain – if it was the club trying to get rid of Cabaye he would be gone. That’s why Nolan went for a decent fee and Barton went for free.

Cabaye knew Arsenal were interested and wanted out -“it doesn’t take much of an imagination to work the rest of it out.

• jimmysmith

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM

yeah, well, who knows, but never bet against self interest.

• jimmysmith

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:02 AM

C’mon, Ashley’s a player.

He plays the fans and he plays his employees and of course he recognizes they’ll play him back. Shifting him might be tough. Changing perhaps him tougher? But I suspect the latter is ultimately in his and our interest.

That’s assiming he has a mortal soul to save, of course.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Bills,
    It might not be, but it will be far from clear cut. We know we wanted to bring players in, we know we would have had to take a loan and as Pardew has told us we were reluctant to do that. We know that we told Arsenal the price we wanted, so the club were happy to sell him.

The whole point of Cabaye making this statement is so the club do sell him, and at a fee closer to his actual value.

Jimmy,
    Aye, but I think all parties (club, Cabaye, agents) would have been happy if the deal had gone through at a higher price.

• Harley

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM

This guy so does not want to be here. His improved performances are solely based on keeping his national place rather than helping us.

It’s a win win though as if he plays well he’ll win us games.

I’m glad we have him but I’ll never have the affection for him that I have others.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Paid back all of their external debt? We’ve been beaten by Norwich in the financially sound club league. Ashley Out! Tighter Owner In!

On thread…I get he’s going to be asked a lot of questions as he is on International duty and was not part of the recent squads, but he’s certainly not portraying a man who is just going to concentrate on his football and holds no bad feeling.

Smile and move on. It’s October, I could do without two months of this rubbish.

• martoon

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:37 AM

You can’t blame Cabaye for being interested if a club like Arsenal are after you and being disappointed when the deal doesn’t go through. Loyalty is a two way thing and obviously NUFC would have been willing to sell for the right price.
    The only thing Cabaye did wrong is supposedly refusing to play and I suspect this could be JFK’s doing and that is what Cabaye is implying.

• Santon03

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Jayphoto & Partizan “Guess Who’s Been Scoring Newcastle’s League Goals?” article.

Sorry just replying now.

I didn’t say anything about scouting at all, it doesn’t really matter where you found new talents even if you can get south american with dual nationalities. The problem is if you never give them any chance and the coaching methods. I don’t have problem with players going on loan but at least loan them to teams in good leagues or same league because you need them to play in epl or in the same league as the 1st team play.
    Loaning them to 2nd division teams will not improve their capabilities playing against epl teams. In Serie A often teams swapping for players that they needed in specific positions on loan base. This way the players going on loan can play against same level of opponents and the loaning teams can see if the player is good enough to play for 1st team, sometimes they loan these players to ligue1, laliga, eredivise, etc. only if they can’t find good teams then they will go on loan for Serie B teams.
    Coaching and Managing styles have big effects on players for example Ricky Alvarez of Inter Milan, he was really SH!T under Stramaccioni but now under Mazzarri he has evolved into superstar.
    All I can say is pardew is the main weakness in this team, it doesn’t seem like he knows what he wants from coaching staffs from youth to 1st team. I don’t believe the coaches in this team are all sh!tty coaches or the youngsters are all that bad, it’s just the management is lacking. He keep asking for new players and hardly ever use the youngsters, pretty much the same as big sam, he hardly ever or probably never produced young talents always bought established or has been, doing badly in NUFC when he has many young players, ended up buying players like babayaro, beye, cacapa etc.