The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It’s A Worrying Time For Alan Pardew

2:17 pm, Friday, October 11th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 36 Comments

Newcastle have some promising youngsters at the club who need to be paying regularly at some other club this season,  because they will get precious little playing time at Newcastle this season, and those players include the likes of Adam Campbell, Gael Bigirimana, Haris Vuckic, James Tavernier and Curtis Good.

adam campbell B&W wonga

Adam Campbell - needs first team games

The Football League’s emergency loan window closes on November 4th, so the Newcastle manager has only three weeks to fix up some of these players with a loan move, but as we reported on Tuesday, there doesn’t seem to be too much interest in our young players – which is a worrying situation for the manager Alan Pardew.

Local lad Adam Campbell was born in North Shields and all he’s thinking about – like a real Geordie – is playing for Newcastle as soon as possible and as long as possible – and this is what the 18 year-old England U19 striker had to say in the local papers today:.

Campbell“It’s always been my dream to play here, so that’s the first thing in my head.” “I want to get back in the squad here and push on as much as I can.”

“Obviously, if the manager and coaching staff see it different, then that’s their decision to make, but I’m happy to be back here fighting for my place.”

“This is where I want to be for the rest of my career.”

Those are good words from the 18 year-old, but at the moment he has a number of  strikers in front of him at Newcastle, and Adam will be lucky to make the bench anytime soon.

That’s why he needs to go out on loan somewhere soon, along with our other top young players.

What do you think?

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Adam Campbell · Curtis Good · Gael Bigirimana · Haris Vuckic · James Tavernier · Newcastle News

36 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

No brainer really, get them out on loan, even with clubs in the Conference or lower, it’s all relevant experience of playing competitively. I would much rather there was interest in the Champo or League 1, but if it isn’t there, it isn’t there.

• 2 danuneek // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

If ever there was a sign that our youngsters are simply not good enough, this is it!

• 3 G // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

It’s a shame Darlington FC went under. We used to send a lot of kids their way for development back in the day.

• 4 G // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

There was some talk on another thread here a few days ago, stating that it wasn’t so much a lack of interest in our youngsters, more to do with our clubs insistence that they get first team experience which was the problem. Did anybody catch if that view was correct, or just an opinion?

• 5 mickg108 // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Pardew’s stance is ” They must be Guaranteed 1st Team Football”,If he’s that Confident in them ??,,Why aren’t they in Wor Team.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

G…From memory, that was an opinion rather than fact.

I certainly don’t recall anything being provided to show it was fact. Although, it does make sense.

Love Campbells attitude and it’s the right thing to be saying, although he should be getting as much competitive action as he can so that as and when he does play for the first team…he’s ready.

Not sure why, but the buzz surrounding him does seem to be wavering somewhat…does anyone watch the reserves often? Is he still producing the goods like he was 12 months back?

• 7 Ibizatoon // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

mick…Do you have a link for that quote?

To answer why aren’t they in wor team, surely that’s because they aren’t PL ready yet? He’s not talking about a PL team guaranteeing them starts.

At the end of the day, if they’re just going to be benchwarmers, they’re best to be our bench warmers where we can at least keep an eye on them and let them train with PL players, no?

• 8 G // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM

@6, I stopped watching the reserves / kids teams some time ago, after being repeatedly dissapointed in big reputations for future greats such as Paul Brayson, Bjarni Gudjonson and Michael Chopra (Who at least did get a bit of game time and goal against his future employers!).

• 9 Ibizatoon // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM

G…Fair enough…we do like a bit of hype at NUFC. We have had a few through the academy though, so we’re always left waiting and expecting the next savior…along with some silverware.

• 10 jimBOB // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I like campbell, I have seen him a few times for the reserves.

problem with his game is his build, thats about it really. he is fast, shows a passion to play and always get in amoungst it.

never bothers him he is smaller. look at owen, he scored alot of goals with his head, so under the right coaching I think he would be great.

the few times Pardew has played him though he has pushed him out left, please dont F**k this lads potential up.

• 11 G // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM

@9, the next ‘saviour’ seems to come about with the same alarming regularity as the silverware. Not many academy players going on to much other than fringe at best. I suppose Steven Taylor is the only true recent relative success, although people have high hopes for Sammiobi.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM

jimBOB…He doesn’t seem to lack confidence and that’s great.

Size is only an issue for me if he doesn’t learn how to use it to his advantage. There’s a saying about size not mattering, just knowing how to use it…although I’m not sure it was intended for footballing purposes…

• 13 G // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Zola wasn’t exactly a beanpole, but his height didn’t seem to be a problem for him. The only time I really have an issue with a footballers height is when they are a short centre half, during a set-piece.

• 14 Ibizatoon // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM

G…Would we not consider Timmy a youth team success? Or are we talking solely about players who have grown up in Newcastle since a young age?

I quite like Sammy for some reason. Still has a long way to go, but he offers something different. Not sure it can be pulled together in to a finished article yet.

• 15 jimBOB // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Ibiza.

totally agree, if he gets the right coaching on how to utilize his size then great, goal poacher, playing off another stiker, picking up the pieces.

I dont think his size is a problem for him, I think its a problem for others, AP to be exact, I bet if he was a foot taller he would have been on the pitch more.

I have seen numorous comments on this blog stating he looks like a boy amoungst men, that he does, but so did Owen, until he started smashing them in, and everyone forgot he was the little man.

and @G, exactly mate

• 16 Coach // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Does anyone know why the leagues don’t allow clubs to enter two teams.

It would solve this whole problem of how to get real experience for fringe players, they could set rules that force clubs to field a specified number of England qualified players in the second team and could eventually strengthen the England side.

It could even cut out the current loan system where teams like Chelsea loan players like Lukaku to strengthen Everton against everyone but Chelsea themselves. Is it only me who thinks that’s against the principle of team sport.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

jimBOB…I would only be speculating as to what Pardew thinks of him. Anything he has ever said has been complimentary, but actions speak louder than words and he hasn’t had a lot of game time, certainly not enough to get a good look at him.

Giving Pardew the benefit of doubt, I can only imagine that in training he just isn’t cutting it yet, at least not enough to oust our current starting options up front.

It certainly doesn’t seem he’ll be getting any game time soon, so he’s best to be sent out on loan.

Which clubs have got the best out of small strikers? Maybe we could get him on loan at Barcelona, they’ve done alright with that small lad. What’s his name again? Messy or something.

• 18 jimBOB // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Coach

Funnily enough I was having the exact same converstation with my mate the other day,

I dont think loaning to other Prem teams should be aloud unless the player could play against the loaning club.

• 19 Ibizatoon // Oct 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Do you mean like B teams that would compete in the official leagues and work there way up?

A bit like in Spain where they have Barcelona B plying their trade in the Segunda division?

• 20 Coach // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM

JimBOB
    I guess they are worried he could then cheat to let his own club win. I would just ban all loans within the same division.

Remy is OK, not because he’s ours but because QPR are in the Championship.

On the other hand, if we had a second team in the Championship, our fringe and younger players would be getting all the match time they need and would either be able to progress or management could see that they aren’t going to make it.

• 21 jimBOB // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM

hahaha, aye, I here there alright with short players, Xavi, Messi, Villa, Mascherano, fabregas, the list goes on, thats where they save their money.
    they only buy kids size strips

• 22 G // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Mind, all this talk about playing short players doesn’t mean I would be happy to see Warwick Davies unveiled as our new number 9.

• 23 Coach // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Ibiza
    Yes, exactly like that. I’m not suggesting this is some new idea I’ve dreamed up, I just think it’s a complete no-brainer.

It isn’t just other countries who do it, but other sports as well, it creates a clear progression route for up and coming players to develop properly.

• 24 jimBOB // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I dont know like G

He was a great and powerfull sourcerer once, plus he looks like Zola.

might be alright

• 25 G // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Ha ha, he must be in his 40′s now, probably past his best mind.

• 26 Ibizatoon // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM

jimBOB…At last…The Barcelona puzzle solved! They’ve managed to have more spending power due to all those savings on buying kids sized stuff!

I mean, there would be savings in the catering departments too…all those kids meals :)

Coach..Was just clarifying what you meant, not putting the idea down as it’s not original! I don’t see the issue with it, other than funding I guess, not that I’m wanting to get in to a financial discussion.

Is there a rule against it in the English leagues?

• 27 G // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM

@26, not sure if it’s a rule against, but I believe they do it in Spain / Holland / Italy due to there being no reserve league’s there.

• 28 Coach // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Ibiza
    It’s OK, I didn’t think you were having a go, I was just admitting up front that it wasn’t an original thought.

I’m guessing there must be a rule against it or surely someone would have done it. My point is that we could so easily create a breeding ground for English players by dropping that rule and adding one that forced a minimum England qualified limit on the B teams.

• 29 lesh // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Christ, Ashley won’t even support one first team squad adequately so there’s no chance of supporting a second tier senior squad.

Unless our man for all seasons, Kinnear, can persuade him. But friend Kinnear doesn’t even know what day it is let alone think outside of the box!

• 30 Ibizatoon // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Coach…Phew…glad we cleared that one up and I can safely come out of the bunker!

I like the idea, would be worth looking into.

• 31 Coach // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

lesh
    My point is that he already does support a second squad, the senior part is definitely not part of my thinking.

What he doesn’t have is a proper structure to get them games to develop or to decide that they aren’t good enough and can leave.

My though isn’t just for us of course, I think this would be the way to develop a stronger national team.

• 32 jimBOB // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I think a major problem would then be moving alot of lower leauges out of the way. you have stadiums and fan bases,

there are 2 major leauges in Spain and I think its only Barca and Real That have B teams, which can never be promoted unless the first team is relegated.

I think Holland have feeder clubs, so Ajax say, they will have an agreement with another club to progress their players, if cashley bought Rangers, we would have one.

• 33 Coach // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Ibiza
    I don’t post much but I read a lot and I don’t get involved in the personal insult bits.

• 34 Coach // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM

jimBOB
    You don’t move them out of the way, it’s a long term fix, not a quick fix. Add another division and make all the B teams enter there.

Where they end up will be on merit.

Personally I would invite Rangers and Celtic to enter teams although there might be more complex problems in that one.

• 35 Rooster // Oct 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Campbell has been given virtually no chance at all, and now hes left out the senior squad, Pardew said he was already at Sholas level early last season and continually looked as good as anyone in training (quoted) he has had 20 mins here and there, as has been mentioned put wide out left. strange, hes rocket fulled play him through the middle his timing is spot on, hes quicker with better hold up play than cisse, much better to watch as well, Pardew keeps faith with Cisse and while he may score goals again hes just awful to watch, I would cash in on Cisse.

He`llScore against City n Liverpool now ha ha!

• 36 FAU // Oct 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM

bigi needs to go,he is hving no chance in first team atm, he can be key player for any championship team, no jks. campbell needs more time,myb next january ggod time for him to go onloan to league one,walsall style of play would be good for him. and last thing, santon needs to improve defensively

previous post: Magpie Striker Still Has Loads Of Confidence