The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It Will Be A Shock To Him – He’ll Not Be Ready For It

7:12 pm, Monday, October 14th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

Last season we got only one point off local rivals Sunderland, and we were walking it at the Stadium of Light until Cheick Tiote got himself sent off, and it looked as though we could have held out for the win but Sunderland got a late goal – an own goals from Demba Ba.

Alan Pardew Newcastle United _2756477

Alan Pardew – in aggressive posture (to say the least)

And maybe the least we say about the game at home to Sunderland in April – the better – it was a disaster and a huge embarrassment to Newcastle fans, and one daft fan after the game decided to have it out with a police horse (called Bid), for heavens sake.

It wasn’t Bud’s fault – the horse that is.

And bear in mind it was then Sunderland’s manager Paolo Di Canio’s first (and only) derby game and one of only two wins he had as Sunderland manager in 12 games – and even more reason for Geordie fans to be upset.

Newcastle have been up and down this season, but we cannot lose at Sunderland a week on Sunday, that’s for sure.

Alan Pardew talked in the local papers today about the derby game and Sunderland’s new manager Gus Poyet:

“Gus will find it difficult there. The side that he’s managing need a bit of maintenance. They need their confidence building up.”  “That first derby will be a shock to him. He might think he’s ready for it but it will be a shock. I thought I was ready for it.”

“He’s a good manager, I like the way he sets his teams up to play football.” “Sunderland will be asked to take risks against us and there’s a big gain in that, but there’s also a big downside and that’s what we want to capitalise on.”

“For our fans the build-up starts the Saturday after Liverpool – probably at about 8pm when they start going out and discussing it.”  “Nationally it’s an important game but locally, between the two cities, it’s huge. Every debate, everything on the radio, every Tweet will be about it.”

“On derby week it goes mad, there’s all sorts of rumours put out, all sorts of stuff going on and it makes it really, difficult.”  “I have to say, one of the real highlights of my managerial career is leading my team out in that derby. It’s electric. If you’re a player, that’s the sort of game you want to be playing in.

“My first trip to the Stadium of Light – I had never seen anything like it. The passion, the furore; there was almost like a mist over the pitch of expectation.”  “If you’re a great player, that’s the atmosphere you want to play in.”

There’s Alan again motivating his players in the press – so if you are a great player at Newcastle, you will be ready for the game.

But first things first, and we have to hope that our players come back unscathed from the International games tomorrow and on Wednesday, although there will be precious little time to prepare for the game at home to Liverpool on Saturday.

That’s another game where the corresponding game in April was a complete and utter disaster.

Our players need to be ready for both of the next two games, both of which will be very difficult.

What do you think?

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 RonVanDam // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Re post

I don’t get why people are joining the march. What mike is doing is for the greater good of the club. Ok we don’t buy world class players but the players we do buy are quality and have potential to be world class. Lots of “fans” here want a quick fix, shepherd and co ran our club in debt for years, under mike we are a self sustaining club. We don’t pay high wages and pay fee for players on what they are worth and sell them at audacious prices. Isn’t this how most businesses operate? If you want a owner like the one at Man City, spend over a billion – can’t get past group stage in CL, lose FA Cup to Wigan, one EPL title makes you a joke. Under mike we operate within our means, we need to do what Swansea did few years ago when they couldn’t afford top players, they changed their playing style. Maybe that’s something we could look at. I think mike is doing a good job trying to rehabilitate the club.

He’s a short example before I leave: imagine earning 40k p.a, over the course of the year you make few bad decisions and after every pay, less expenses you are left with $150 to spend on yourself. This is not enough for you to live on so you go to your mum to bail you out. You repeat this process 20 times a year in order to survive. This is what mike is trying to avoid – borrowing.

• 2 rasul // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Lets take Liverpool first ffs ! They crushed us 6-0 last year, and im still having nightmares because of it!! I want at least 2 goals victory against both sides ! And hatem get ur head out of ur ass and DO us a favour and do MAGIC !

• 3 jimBOB // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Im sorry but yet again a simple interview turns into an audition for the Riddler. AP new name is the Riddler.

I have never known someone to talk so much when he could some it up in a sentence,

so defend until we can cease the day, (thats what I take from that) we should be going out all guns blazing, oh and the build up started as soon as that fixture list was released. it for sure wont ‘just’ start after the Liverpool game.

just saying. haha

• 4 rasul // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Here is my TEAM for both matches

KRUL

Debuchy COLO Mbiwa Santon
    Hatem sissoko tiote cabaye Cisse
    Remy !

• 5 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Well Alan he managed to mug you off twice with an inferior team . You owe us this time .

• 6 workyticket // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

RonVanDam // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

“Lots of “fans” here want a quick fix, shepherd and co ran our club in debt for years,”

I guess you don’t know that we are actually more in debt now than we were when Ashley took over the club then?

• 7 NUFCarter // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Well we better bloody win not only for bragging rights but im not having Sunderland getting their first win in the prem against us.

• 8 tequilamag // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Workyticket, the debt may well be higher but a year in the Championship will account for that and I seem to remember it was MA who subbed the club through that period. As he should obviously.

• 9 Ian Toon // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Ibiza- Your right. If I was ToonDarnSarf I would use an analogy to explain my point more clearly.

It was nothing more than to offer “fag” as a wearisome task or when thinking of you , a young public schoolboy is often a fag.

• 10 OhSholaAmeobi // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM

owed a performance, a draw would be better than nothing but hoping they won’t have picked up points this weekend coming. more concerned about liverpool, just hope we don’t fold like we usually do against teams like them and city and give them a game.

• 11 Slank // Oct 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Worky @ 6

The debt is money owed to Ashley by the club that is owned by Ashley.

Previously under Shepherd the money was borrowed from third parties that charged interest. Ashley doesn’t charge interest on the money he loaned to the club.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

RVD,
    Okay, firstly, how are we self sufficient? We are yet to go through a financial year turning a profit.
    We don’t pay high wages, no, not astronomical but still 64%of turnover.
    We buy at what they are worth – that is all relative. A player is worth different amounts to different teams depending on what they need. For us, we buy players at reasonable prices, but a lot of the time not in the positions we require.
    We sell at audacious prices – who? Carroll, fine. But Barton, Nolan, Enrique, Perch, Best, all were sold, none at audacious prices, some at less than their worth to our team and squad as they weren’t replaced.

I’ve not seen anyone who wants to do it like City have done, but they want to see direction, ambition a strategy to move forward.

Here is an example before I leave, if you borrow £110million off your owner to clear external debt, then you borrow another £40 million off your owner to cover operating costs and you only repay £11million you are still massively in debt.

I don’t even agree with the march, but not one thing you say stands up to scrutiny.

• 13 wolfshead@toon // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

all pards said was its a high pressure job hes not the first manager to say that and he wont be the last and a lot of players have said the toon is like a goldfish bowlthats the way of it up here yet pards haters reckon hes making excuses!all he was doing was having a chat on a sun morning have a day off ffs

• 14 BandB // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I was watching The Lion King with the bairn the other night.
    King Scar (baddy). Pride Rock reduced to a smouldering ruin, with every decent thing driven away.
    And I realised. Some people really think they are on the side of the lions. When they are really siding with the hyenas.

• 15 geordieboy83 // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Evening lads and lasses

To those doing the march just do our club and our city proud and you’ve got my support. Fair play for what you believe in.
    Me well I wouldn’t mind change but as I’ve said in the past I do think we exaggerate a tad on how bad things are . Great core of players (yawn) financial stability. But bugger me a trophy and a champions league place or attempt at it would be a canny bonus.

I just hope when the march is finished we support the lads. And if the scousers win we don’t kick off as emotions could be high.

• 16 tequilamag // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM

BandB your cultural references are lost on me I have never watched the Lion King, however it is only fair to point out that Hyenas are very social animals with excellent parenting skills.Male Lions on the other hand will make a point of killing any cubs which nave been fathered by the previous alpha male.

• 17 BandB // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Tequila,

Well, if my cultural references are lost on you, that’s me shot down then innit?

Well done you. Have a banana!

• 18 Krul To Be Kind // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Hakuna Matata?

Anyone know who he plays for?

• 19 DokToon // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM

mind as well call me kermit, as im feeling froggy and about to jump, lol…

• 20 DokToon // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM

krul, hes the center back for the fiji natl club, we bid for him, but as usual, we had no chance, only waves on tyneside are made by the supporters :)

• 21 tequilamag // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM

BandB, Shot down, I plead not guilty on that one. Guilty of a bit of gentle P taking perhaps but that is my nature.

• 22 Krul To Be Kind // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Dok

so we couldn’t get him over the line then?

that line is getting BOARing? I’m here all week… sorry couldn’t help! haha

• 23 BandB // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Last time |I saw him he was a half-time sub at Whickham under 14′s. He was top goal scorer, mind. But these nippy little black lads are wingers. Everyone knows that.

• 24 BandB // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Tequila,

I know. I wish I could keep up.

• 25 Krul To Be Kind // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Must say lads… I still can’t stop laughing at Sunderland!

• 26 Krul To Be Kind // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Didn’t we once have a Clarence Acuna Matata?

• 27 Ian Toon // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Our year in the Championship saw our revenue nearly halving with Ashley bankrolling the largest wage bill in the league. Whilst many players left during the summer of 2009 we retained the bulk of the squad and strengthened further in the following January transfer window.

Fair to say that falling from PL grace was self inflicted by Ashley but he did fund a Premier League wage bill in the Championship which gave us the best chance to gain promotion.

Newcastle supporters are only too aware of the owner’s unpredictability and habit of shooting himself in the foot. We don’t need Pardew to tell us that he doesn’t understand football.

However it’s fair to say that he did inherit a football club drowning in debt, with limited borrowing capacity and long term contracts for a number of players on high wages. But this is ancient history and football fans want success in the here and now.

As it turned out relegation could be seen as the sharp lesson that NUFC needed forcing the club to address its financial problems. Talk of 5 year plans and self sufficiency followed with the issuing of a mission statement. I personally viewed the academy as having to produce quality young players capable of replacing the mature established PL brand who would be sold. It was heralded as following the Arsenal blueprint. Does any of this still apply or are we just winging it?

Investigative journalists where are you!

• 28 Krul To Be Kind // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Ian

we are now season 4 of the 5 year plan and the only thing consistent is the inconsistency!

• 29 kt97toonarmy // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I hope pardew understands sunderland away is a must win game! We took one point last season. Which was pathetic. Against a team we finished above. As a fan ive hadgreat feelings. Nd nothing gets the better of beating sunderland in the darby. Not evan promotion topped beating them 5-1. However a point against liverpool id b happy with. I really wud as our defence has been off form lately nd we r against suarez n sturridge.

I hope this march goes well. If i was goin to the match id go on this march too. Just hope we dont get a repeat of last season against the scousers. It was a horrible day. So pardew dont repeat it!!!!!!!!

• 30 Ian Toon // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

We lost a year in the Championship and you could also write off last season. I think…….

• 31 Himanshu Dhingra // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Next year NUFC will enter into another 5 year plan

• 32 Ian Toon // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM

We have everything to prove in our next two league games. The worst of last season encapsulated in the Liverpool and Sunderland games.

• 33 remember69 // Oct 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM

RonVanDam @1,
    Well said. I can understand why fans get frustrated but the reality is that MA is trying to run the club on a sound footing.
    I think if supporters got behind their team we may see a boost in confidence and better play/results.
    After all, we ARE supposed to be the best fans in the world – perhaps now is the time more than any other to prove it.
    Demonstrations/negativity will do nothing but bring the club down.

• 34 santonthenewmaldini // Oct 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Anyone see that Colo has pulled out of the Argentina squad?Might not be a bad thing as Suarez gave him the runaround the last time

Really worried about Saturday with the bad vibes that the march is going to cause before the game for some reason our team cant deal with teams who press and have strikers who move Sturridge and Suarez could tear us apart

Our players freeze in the big games especially the home games on tv might be a confidence thing or a mentality thing

• 35 remember69 // Oct 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Lilongwe,

So if I have this straight the person that so called supporters are marching against has cleared external debt by giving the club an interest free loan of 140 million pounds out his own pocket.

God, it’s no wonder the rest of the country thinks we’re thick……… perhaps those marching can chip in 1000 pounds each to help the club with finances……(no, I thought not….)

• 36 remember69 // Oct 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

santonthenewmaldini,
    You are correct to be worried. The demonstrations/march is only going to build confidence in one team on Saturday, and it isn’t those in black & white.
    I only hope those involved take ownership for their part in any loss.

• 37 santonthenewmaldini // Oct 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM

@remember69

Yeah also not happy that people are accepting the scouse scum coming to show “support” they will be laughing at us during it and later when they pump us 5 or 6 nil they will be laughing all the way home to merseyside

• 38 wolfshead@toon // Oct 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM

i think pool will worry about remy too

previous post: Newcastle Player Bravely Fighting To Save His Career

next post: Newcastle Suffer Injury Blow – Who Comes In?