The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Didn’t Know Joe Kinnear At All – When He Was Appointed

12:50 am, Monday, October 14th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

Alan Pardew has talked about last June’s shock hiring of Joe Kinnear as the new Director of Football, and he says Mike Ashley kind of hinted that somebody new would be coming into the club, although Alan didn’t know it would be Joe Kinnear, who he admits he didn’t even know when Joe returned to Newcastle.

mike ashley joe kinnear

Mike Ashley and Joe Kinnear

The hiring of Joe Kinnear was a decision not welcomed by Newcastle fans with 90% in our poll disapproved of the appointment.

Do You Want Joe Kinnear As Newcastle's Director Of Football?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

And Joe’s disastrous interview on talkSPORT,  before he was even announced at the club didn’t help much either.

This is what Alan told Goals on Sunday yesterday:

“At the end of last year I think Mike wanted to make a change, and he wanted someone in who knew football,” “He chose Joe. He sort of whispered it to me that someone might be coming in, he didn’t tell me who, and then I found out it was Joe.”

“I didn’t know Joe at all. I’ve got to know him a little bit more since he came in. His role, really and truly, is to be Mike’s confidante – ‘What does the manager want?, ‘What does he need?, ‘What can I deliver for him?’. That is Joe’s role.”

“So far he has been supportive. He’s asked me what I want, I’ve told him, and it’s up to him to try to get it out of Mike. He’s not involved at the training ground or tactics or anything, and he hasn’t even offered me his opinion, he’s only asked for mine.”

It’s very good that Joe has kept off the training field and let Alan do his job as the Newcastle manager, because a number of fans thought he was looking to become manager again at the club.

But that doesn’t seem to be the case, and we don’t think his health would stand it in any case.

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 hadthetshirt // Oct 14, 2013 at 12:58 AM

All thes little digs from pardwho,are coming too late.This back biting tells me he’s looking for an honest way out.I’m sure jfk had never heard of him eithe

• 2 lesh // Oct 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Hadtetshirt

I disagree that the ‘digs’ are a bit late

Pardew claims he never knew Kinnear before he pitched up at SJP (naughty Joe, telling porkies).

Joe has asked Pardew what he wants and says he’s told him and it’s his job to get it out of Mike Ashley,

I think what we’re seeing being played out is Pardew setting Kinnear up to fail – again!

This next few months are going to prove to be interesting and I don’t think Kinnear should be looking beyond the end of the season!

• 3 Sav // Oct 14, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Or then again, maybe it exactly as the man says. Too many conspiracy theorists. Under the circumstances, Pardew is doing a remarkably good job.

• 4 jimmysmith // Oct 14, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I agree, he is doing a good job under the circumstances. It seems that primarily we bring in players if the price is right, even if we need a different type of player more urgently, and Pardew has been asked to complete this jigsaw despite its missing pieces. Even so, this squad does seem more complete than in the past, although less experienced in, and perhaps also, less suited to the English game. He’s playing the cards he’s dealt, by an owner whose methods are questionable.

• 5 remember69 // Oct 14, 2013 at 2:37 AM

For those who are convicted Ashley is in it just to line his own pockets; here’s some good PR for the club.

From http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/1742?&cc=5901

And now support comes from Newcastle United as a football club. Other clubs have taken the £200,000 fund and offered free coach travel or a reduction of up to £4 on away tickets; the latter is a particularly good gesture, one that Liverpool have offered their away following. But what Newcastle are offering is a leap instead of a step, a bellow instead of a shout. It is worthy of praise from fans of all Premier League clubs; most importantly, it is worthy of reciprocation from the other 19 clubs, ensuring their goodwill does not go unfulfilled.

• 6 theartfuldodger // Oct 14, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Pardew should become a politician.
    He will paint all scams and corruption in a good light.

• 7 catchy in norway // Oct 14, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I fail to see how he is doing a good job under any circumstances ,

his job is a simple one really , coach and pick teams to win games,
    on these 2 he fails big time

skill
    it’s not hard to see that our players are not the same players who joined the club, I carnt think of one who has looked better than when he joined the club

organisation
    when the team is out on the pitch , we lack any kind of shape , our players seem miles away from each other, there is not much movement from them

tactics
    it’s the same every match, hold them and try and nick 1 goal, god forbid we go behind, he will not push players forward until very late in the game
    subs the wrong players every time , normally you can call the subs before the match because it’s the same nearly every week

motivation
    there is not many games we go behind and come back to even get a draw in , let alone a win

whether we have to many foreign players or not we have a very good technical squad capable of much more than he is getting out of them and him wanting more British players is a joke, because the price that command is stupid , so there going to be kids or players well past there best

the guy is a fool , doing a very poor job

• 8 tequilamag // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM

In the PL this season we have actually used 11 different players as subs
    Gouffran 4
    Dummet Remy Ameobi Marv
    Cabaye Cisse Williamson
    HBA Jonas. all used as subs only once.

• 9 tequilamag // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Make that 10 players

• 10 Rotonda heights // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Remember 69

On a previous thread you say how can we judge if Pardew is a good manager or not. WTH!!! I would say a solitary top 6 finish in a 16 year managerial career kind of sets the seal on that.

People bleat on about 1 good season which had so many extenuating factors attached to it, but then choose to totally overlook the appallingly consistent dross we’ve been subjected to under Pardew’s tenure, just as West Ham and Charlton fans were previously.

The nauseating endless excuses made where blame is deflected anywhere but at ” trust me ” Pardew’s door.
    How many teams get Remy, Ben Arfa and Cisse in a front 3, Cabaye and Sissoko in the middle and a world class keeper etc etc.

Pardew’s latest gem is to publically state we have too many foreign players. Way to boost morale – NOT. It’s a world beaters Tevez and Macherano being dropped in favour of British workaday players like Mullins and Harewood mentality all over again. Pardew is a dinosaur and still stuck in the 80’s.

• 11 tequilamag // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Rotonda we have 16 foreign players in the squad. The max you can have is 17. He is just stating the obvious.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Rotonda…Do you not think he meant that we’re nearly not making our quote for homegrown players?

This season 9 out of our 24 player squad are eligible. We need a minimum of 8 and many fans are calling time on players like Williamson, Gosling and good old Shola.

It’s not a “gem” of Pardews or anything to do with preference, more a necessity at this point.

• 13 WorJordi // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM

@ 10 – Rotonda
    I haven’t commented much on here but read the blog daily.
    You are spot on with your analysis of a 16 yes SIXTEEN year career of “appallingly consistent dross”. The trouble is we are stuck with it until someone, MA, AP bottles it or gives up before we can see any change in our manager. I know who I’d put my money on and it wouldn’t be AP. He is a dinosaur and really a championship club is a stretch for him. When you see the talent we have and the way it is set up to play I just want to cry at times. Our club is worthy of better management and hopefully AP’s comments on Sky at the weekend may just nudge him closer to the door. Coupled of course with the Liverpool result which I’m afraid wont be a good one although I hope we win Trouble is MA is in control and he uses fall guys and patsies like Pardew to take any flak. So can you really see a strong minded forward thinking manager taking this problem on? I dont.

• 14 Ibizatoon // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM

quota*

Or just completely disregard my comment as Tequila beat me to it…

• 15 tequilamag // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Morning Ibiza, yours was much more eloquently put though.

• 16 Ibizatoon // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Tequila…Good morning, good sir.

There’s a thin line between eloquently and long winded. I’ll not question your opinion this morning :)

Do we have a week of guessing how badly we’re going to lose to Liverpool then?

• 17 tequilamag // Oct 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Naturally with the ever popular sub text of it`s all Pardews/ Ashley/curse of Wonga fault.
    Hours of fun for all the family.

previous post: Newcastle Were Interested In Signing England Star Last Summer