The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Defender Could Leave Newcastle

4:25 pm, Tuesday, October 15th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 73 Comments

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has struggled to get to grips with the English Premier League since he signed for us from Montpellier last January for around £6.5M, and while he may not be able to make it as a center-back,  the French International could still make it at Newcastle in one of the full-back positions.

Louis Nicolli

Louis Nicollin – the Montpellier President

But the Montpellier President  Louis Nicollin didn’t approve of Mapou’s move to Newcastle, and he  had this to say in L’Equipe in late January, when Yanga-Mbiwa chose Newcastle, with other clubs also interested in the player:

“He chose Newcastle? If so, he is an ass.”   “It is not my fault but I think the manager (Alan Pardew) played a role.”  “Newcastle, this is really not a good choice.”

“They will transfer him the next year.”  “It doesn’t bother me. We’re not going to cry. He is not irreplaceable. The important thing is that we get money.’

The French defender recently lost his place in the Newcastle starting line-up to Mike Williamson, after the Frenchman gave a few poor performances in the center of the Newcastle defense, and it remains to be seen if he will be brought back on Saturday,  if Coloccini cannot make it, because of the muscle injury he picked up while on International duty with Argentina.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa  987

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – has time to get accustomed to Premier League

So with the Montpellier President’s  January statement in mind, it is not surprising that he had said this in L’Equipe today:

“I’m sorry for him. I love him a lot. He has followed the advice of his agent and he was wrong to leave.” “Don’t worry, he’ll come back to Montpellier.”

It’s far too early to call time on Mapou’s career at Newcastle - far too early – and if he can get to grips with the physical nature of the Premier League there’s no reason why he cannot have a good career on Tyneside.

And if the 24 year-old can do that, he will have become a much better player,  and he could even be challenging for a place in the French squad for next summer’s World Cup in Brazil.

That’s the challenge for Mapou at Newcastle this season.

What do you think?

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

73 responses so far ↓

• 1 UpAndHatem // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Repost:

NEWCASTLE ACADEMY CAT 1 STATUS

Fellas, read the second paragraph at the link below from the premierleague.com website for confirmation of Newcastle Academy Cat 1 Status. Strange indeed that there does not appear to have been confirmation from the club itself…..

• 2 Ibizatoon // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Ciaran…What does a man have to do to get a response on your blog? :)

TDSarf…Not sure that’s a balanced way to look at that at all. You don’t expect the club to announce news as it would be received with criticism that it wasn’t done sooner? The same criticism they’re getting anyway? Surely it’s in their interest to give good news, even if it is deemed late? Forget their interest for a second, isn’t it their duty to keep us informed?

Surely you don’t really prescribe to that view as this falls in to the problem category of bad club communication which we both agree needs addressing?

• 3 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Just because we’re in the under-21 league doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re cat 1. We were allowed in that league last season on condition that we made certain improvements pending another inspection. As far as we know that inspection still hasn’t taken place but we’re allowed in the under-21 league again.

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Ok…maybe I’m not clear. YES, I do believe the club should come out and tell us what the situation is with the academy, I was just offering a couple of potential reasons for them not doing so.

• 5 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Ok, if I’m wrong about Campbell then I hold my hands up, I thought he came back because of injury. But it doesn’t actually distort the point that it isn’t the club’s fault. Also makes it somewhat ludicrous when you think of the claims for Campbell to be in our first team if he can’t even get games for a league one side!

• 6 Ibizatoon // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

TDSarf…Fair enough, it just read that those were your thoughts on it or thought it was reasonable / acceptable.

Having looked online, seems a lot of the fan blogs did run stories on this (including Ed), but they’re all assuming based on that PL youth leage fixture list posted by UpandHatem (cheers :) ).

Still no clarity, just assumptions.

Name change?

Newcaslte Assumes!
    Newcastle Assumers (or would it be assumees?)

Hmmm….

• 7 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I agree, Campbell isn’t good enough. If we had the requisite investment in the summer we could have farmed him out on loan to a League One side, heck even a League Two side for an entire season and see if he would sink or swim.

As it stands, we are a few injuries short of needing to use him. Bearing in mind that he made 1 appearance for Carlisle in a month, it doesn’t fill me with confidence, yet you think our squad is deep enough? Hmmm…

• 8 UpAndHatem // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

TDS@3

Please enlighten the blog why you think the official website for the Barclays Premier League, including the Barclays U21 Premier League, would make the statement:
    “There will be one national division, the Barclays Under-21 Premier League, comprised of 22 Category 1 Academies” if it were not correct.

• 9 wolfshead@toon // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM

re santon what position did he play at milan or was it juve? i forget prob cos im used to seeing him in b&w stripes haha

• 10 Maladoni 69 // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Ed – It’s far too early to call time on Mapou’s career at Newcastle – far too early

So why did you call it “Newcastle Defender Could Leave Newcastle”.

For hits? “Newcastle Defender Could Defend Perhaps”, would of been more appropriate.

• 11 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Yes the squad is deep enough compared to the other squads around us. We have:
    2 goalkeepers (Krul, Elliott)
    4 full backs (Santon, Debuchy, Dummett, Haidara)
    4 centre backs (Colo, MYM, Saylor, Willo)
    4 central midfielders (Cabaye, Sissoko, Anita, Tiote)
    6 attacking/wide midfielders (Ben Arfa, Goofy, Marv, Sammy, Jonas, Obertan)
    3 strikers (Cisse, Remy, Shola)

I’ve excluded Vuckic, Campbell, Streete, Bigi, Raylor and Good because I don’t think any of them are at the level of the rest.

But that’s 23 players in the first team squad. That’s ok. We know we wanted another striker and that would have just rounded things off nicely.

• 12 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM

UpAndHatem

Because I believe it was listed the same last season. An exception was made for our under-21 team because the club made certain commitments that they would make the relevant changes to get to cat one status.

You can’t believe everything you read you know. The person who wrote that website doesn’t know everything.

• 13 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM

And for the umpteenth time, if anyone things our squad isn’t in the top 8 in the PL, would you stop damn well bleating about it and actually prove it.

Get a list of the squad of any other club in the PL and compare player by player. Then show me which squad is better. I don’t just mean first 11, I mean all the way to the top 23 or 25 players in the squad. I bet when you look at West Ham or Norwich that their 20th best player in the squad is not as good as ours.

Do it and tell us what squad is better or deeper or shut up about it.

• 14 UpAndHatem // Oct 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

TDS

Thanks for the advice:

“You can’t believe everything you read you know. The person who wrote that website doesn’t know everything”

I’ll be sure to take that on board!

• 15 G // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Colo’s first season with us was not what you would call a success, but look at him now. Whilst I have yet to be convinced by Yanga Mbwia I haven’t written him off just yet. If by this stage next season he is still with us, I will gladly judge him then.

• 16 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

We have 2 keepers of good quality. We have four full backs, 3 of which are left backs, 1 of whom is injured, 1 of whom cannot defend and the other is on the cusp. We have 1 right back who cannot defend either so I fail to see where that is deep enough.

We have 4 centre halves, 2 of whom are not good enough, another 1 who was looking to leave last season and is a shadow of his former self.

We have 4 central midfield players, 1 of whom also looked to leave and has been off his game for a long time. Another 1 who is frankly rubbish. And 1 whom the manager has no faith in.

6 attacking wide players and you include Obertan, Marv and Jonas? Behave.

And 3 strikers, 1 of which couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo and 1 who is Shola.

Deep squad? Catch yourself on.

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM

UpAndHatem

The point that other people have said is that the club should really come out with a statement that we have achieved cat one status. Without that there are indication that we have (like the website you produced) but no real evidence. It’s annoying and wastes out time speculating about it.

Whoever wrote that page on the website might have had no idea about the exception made for Newcastle United.

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Ciaran

You’re being a d*ck again.

Try comparing Saylor and Willo to the 3rd and 4th choice centre backs of Norwich or West Ham.

How about you compare the whole squad like I suggested rather than just mindless speculation.

Oh…you won’t…because you’d rather just rant and rave without any actual evidence.

• 19 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM

tds his choice and he aint no d~ck

• 20 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM

stubborn maybe

• 21 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM

and we may have better players than most but led by lesser men than most ergo rubbish results

• 22 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

JT

I didn’t say he’s a dick, I said he’s being a dick. Picking holes in our squad just because they aren’t all world class again. Everything is extreme, players “can’t defend” or are “rubbish”. And he wonders why people can’t take him seriously…

• 23 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM

well pardew skills at making this great squad work is the problem whilst he is kept on by ashley and anyone else on a shoestring we will never amount to diddly squat

• 24 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM

enough said back to work on my pro-licence

• 25 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM

JT

Pardew’s skills will be found out soon enough. He should be out on his ear in December if we have a bad run of results. Anything other than top 10 this year would be pathetic.

The club isn’t run on a shoestring mate. If you don’t want to have “accountants” tell you the facts of the finances, then you have to stop bringing them up.

• 26 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM

99 .9% could not give a t055 about money they said there was none available for transfers and if they wait till dec god help us you cant tell me 50,000 dont know pardew is useless allready

• 27 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM

well shoestring may have been wrong word so i will just say run badly from getting in new players and getting rid of crap

• 28 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM

and yes ibiza im opening a brothel
    hot soup anyone

• 29 Ibizatoon // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Thanks for the update JT.

Keep me updated with any news!

• 30 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM

How is it an extreme to claim that Tiote is rubbish, Jonas is pathetic and that Santon, Willo and Debuchy can’t defend?

I’m pretty sure the evidence in front of your face would point to that fact.

• 31 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM

pardew tells tiote your the man take them out,willo don’t jump to high you’ll get a nose bleed,santon keep your head down you’ll go far,well jonas and debuchy looking for ginolas hair care contract

• 32 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM

coz they’re worth it

• 33 cyprus // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Ciaran,
    Why are you so absolute and polemic? Ed is in his eighties and you know his story, lighten up on him man. I know you wouldn’t attack him face to face as I’ve been reading you, here and in your blog. You write well, you have strong opinions, you’ll get visitors, you seem like a cool guy. No need for all this. Tiote is rubbish, huh ;) Taylor any good?

• 34 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM

ciaran i was unaware you are half polish come on england

• 35 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM

So Ed is trying to sell off Mbiwa I can see ;)

• 36 estechco // Oct 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM

cyprus – I think you need to check Ed’s bio…

He’ll have you black listed for making him 80!

• 37 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Cyprus

Not attacking him, age is not a reason for poor writing. Roger Ebert was the greatest film critic of his generation and was still writing brilliant film reviews until his death and he was 70.

As for being polemic, it makes for more interesting comments I think ;) haha

• 38 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

• 39 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Sorry…I forgot Krul isn’t on top form, Elliott isn’t good enough, Colo is past it, MYM isn’t good enough, Saylor is a liability, Willo is championship level, Santon and Debuchy can’t defend, Haidara s injured, Dummett is inexperienced, Cabaye wants to leave, Tiote is rubbish, Pardew has no faith in Anita, Sissoko has been found out, Jonas is past it, Ben Arfa is lazy, Obertan is crap, Marv is inconsistent, Shola is useless, Remy isn’t even our player, Cisse can’t score, Sammy is unproven…

Well…at least we have Goofy.

• 40 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Alreet peeps, the nufcdaily is still plugging away, thanks for the support. Check out the most recent articles by clicking on my name! Thanks folks! :D

• 41 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Now you’re getting it TDS ;)

• 42 Cool Hand Luke // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

From the last article.

“Ed knows about the march and is deliberately avoiding writing about it. Perhaps he thinks the fence that he is sitting on would collapse entirely if he clambered down off it and actually gave an opinion. Far be it of me to state that his style of writing is shockingly unimaginative at best.

Sour? No I’m inspired. If these articles can manage to reach thousands then I’m pretty sure I can match that ;)

Ciaran, it seems your lack of respect has reached unprecedented levels with the bullsh!t you just spouted.

I must admit, I did briefly peruse the contents of your blog a number of weeks ago, out of curiosity you understand. Sadly I found its contents to be nothing more than a mere re-hash of the opinions of some of the posters on this blog. The most interesting thing I found was a little spelling mistake that had no doubt escaped your attention, but that’s not important right now.

Far from being the ‘inspired’ writing that you claim, I would describe it as the literary equivalent of a cup of tea that has had too much milk added, or a fat free yoghurt, ie, really quite bland.

Yes, Ed has his little follies, adding ‘and’ too many times in a sentence for example, however I would much rather read the opinions offered here than the pompous ramblings of an arrogant youngster. How it must pain you that to survive, your blog relies on second hand information from and shameless plugs on a blog that you claim to be ‘boring’.

Quite frankly Ciaran, you have a lot of growing up to do.

• 43 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Cool Hand Luke

Concerns are noted buddy, thanks ;)

• 44 9 // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM

To rebalance the squad come January, could we have Ba back to replace the stunning – and soon to be Spurs- Remy?

• 45 clinath@ed // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Anybody watching the England U21 game….some good youngsters coming through. Including young master Ince.

• 46 tequilamag // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM

9 would love Ba back. Plenty of posters slagging him off when he went and were telling us that Cisse would come into his own when he left.
    As for Remy, he is on a season long loan regardless of whether he stays or not after that he is certainly not going to be going to Spurs or anyone else soon.

• 47 9 // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM

@Tequila.
    Wish I had your confidence in the details and strength of our “season-long loan”. Do you think it is a bomb-proof arrangement?

• 48 Cool Hand Luke // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Ciaran, glad to hear it.

• 49 9 // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM

By the way, brilliant to have 18,000 Poles in Wembley – these guys have the same mentality as Geordies, believe me, they’ll make one heck of an atmosphere – bring it on !

• 50 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I won’t be changing any time soon though. Sorry to hear you think my writing is bland, swings and roundabouts and personal opinions and all that.

I have an opinion on Ed’s articles, which some may dislike, but if many can criticise my own writing – such as yourself – then surely I am allowed to criticise Ed’s? Free speech and all that jazz.

• 51 tequilamag // Oct 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM

9 absolutely bombproof. It was reported at the time it was for the full season with an option to buy. I have seen nothing to contradict that. Not to say he will definitely sign at the end of the season. Remy is keeping his options open. I had big doubts about him but he has shown to be a class player. Of course if the CPS decide to prosecute then all bets are off.

• 52 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM

But if he does score goals and does well for us, Alan will be happy with our end of the deal; the player will be happy because he will come into contention for a World Cup place with France; if both things happen, Remy will go back to QPR as a World Cup player with a higher value than when he joined them, so everybody will come out of it well”

There you go, there is something to contradict it.

• 53 Cool Hand Luke // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Ciaran, its your complete lack of respect that prompted my response, not the fact that you have a negative opinion on Ed’s writing.

• 54 9 // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Correction. Make that 28.000 Poles. What a racket they are making! Great. It’s up to us to get on top of them ( I bet the fans can’t – no chance ) so, over to the players.

• 55 9 // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Hi Ciaran.Remy will not be going back to QPR, ever. Think it through, chap – this man has top talent.

• 56 tequilamag // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Ciaran my comment about nothing to contradict it was clearly referring to we have him on a season long long. If you read my post again you will see I said that Remy is keeping his options open. Whether he stays with us goes back to QPR or any other team or HMP is still to be decided.

• 57 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Tequila

You claimed we had am option to buy him, but Kinnear’s comments indicate that we don’t

• 58 tequilamag // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

are you saying there have been no reports saying we have an option to buy? Pardew said on Sunday there was a deal in place but it was complicated. For someone with so little time for JFK you seem strangely selective when you choose to reference him as a reliable source.

• 59 Ciaran // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Tequila

He’s the man supposedly in charge of the deal. Why would I think he isn’t privy to that sort of information?

• 60 tequilamag // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Ciaran, have you considered the possibility that the we have agreed a deal with QPR but there is a third party involved ie the player. It`s one thing for the clubs to arrange deal but if Remy is indeed keeping his options then decides he wants to play for Spurs or whoever else there is nothing the 2 clubs can do about that. If JFK had came out and said it was done seal then it went tits up it would be another huge own goal for the MA and JFK. It`s better to dampen expectations and sign him than to promise something which is ultimately beyond their control

• 61 John Tudor // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

bingo bango bongo

• 62 tequilamag // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

JT incisive and to the point as ever.

• 63 lesh // Oct 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

UpAndHatem.

A good club would be expected to have Category 1 status and there’s thus no need to announce it

• 64 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Welbeck……………Smalling………….England Squad……………..How?

• 65 mattnufc // Oct 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Play for Man Utd, of course. To be honest, hardly any competition on left hand side of the team.

• 66 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Mattnufc
    Just can’t understand it! We have lads like Barkley Wilshere Sterling Defoe on the bench would rather see any of these lads over Welbeck!

Seriously Welbeck makes shola look like Messi

• 67 mattnufc // Oct 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Haha I dislike Welbeck as much as you. Should have scored at least one already. Would have preferred Jones at RB but probably wouldn’t have been much of an improvement over Smalling, No-one else to chose from, really..

• 68 jimmysmith // Oct 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM

A third of the team is “adjusting” to the EPL, which isn’t great for our present, or augur particularly well for our future. Good players often hit the ground running, others take longer and others don’t step up. There is a more than reasonable chance that we are carrying at least two who aren’t going to consistently deliver. Add that to the 2 or 3 positions we lack quality cover in and yes we do clearly still lack depth and consistency despite having been reshaping this team for 3 to 4 seasons. This seems the biggest problem and consequence of our lean and restrictive transfer policy.

• 69 low fell mag // Oct 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM

By that Ciaran bloke talks some shite!

• 70 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Football is amusing as so many fans seem to think they know more than the managers! Makes me laugh…

• 71 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM

TDS
    Fcuk me, so not only are fans not aloud to criticise there club in anyway now there not aloud to air an opinion on players either!

• 72 Rotonda heights // Oct 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM

tads

allowed even!!

• 73 GarethGNUFC // Oct 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM

To say that MYM only has a future as a fullback at NUFC and has ‘struggled to get to grips with the premier league’ is a little harsh I feel. Sure he was very poor against Everton (as were a number of players) however in the past I’m sure I remember people singing his praises. I have every faith in him to become the class central defender that he has the potential to be

previous post: This Player The Best Left-Back At Newcastle