Italian Club After Newcastle January Target

Since Alan Pardew has been saying a lot these days that we have too many foreign players at Newcastle and he wants to sign more British players, we are not sure if Newcastle are still interested in bringing 28 year-old French International striker Bafe Gomis to Tyneside in January.

bafetimbi gomis - pink

Bafe Gomis – is he still a target?

Newcastle bid around £10M for the player over the summer, but were then bogged down by excessive demands from his agents, and the deal did not go though.

But since Gomis’ contact runs out next summer, the transfer fee would be at most half  that figure, and would amount to a good deal for Newcastle – and we know owner Mike Ashley likes to get value for money.

But news today that other clubs may be interested in Gomis now, simply because he is much cheaper than in the summer and a much better proposition for other clubs.

Serie 1 club Lazio are reported by talkSPORT to want the striker in January.

We’re still not sure if Gomis is a real target in January, but it would be something if we could sign both Loic Remy and Bafe Gomis – then we’d have enough strikers to score goals for us through the rest of the season.

What do you think?

• Rotonda heights

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM

hang about Ed!!

• BuckLuck

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Rotonda

Cheers mate 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM

He’s not even a good player and probably only has another 2/3 years at the top of his game

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Pardew wants British players yet we hardly spend much or even any money. So with the ‘value’ of British players, who does he feel we are going to be signing for low cost that are better than what we have.

He’s talking nonsense again.

For the quality of a player per what he costs, he is either going to get lesser players for the same outlay from Ashley, or the same standard, but be paying over double, simply because he is British. Which Ashley simply won’t do.

It’s another diversion tactic to get an excuse in. Maybe he’ll have faith in Harewood and Mullins again over Tevez and Mascherano.

Routledge is showing some neat passes at times and movement which he has been coached to play at Swansea, unlike Pardew’s visionary methods.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Plus, what are the players going to be thinking of themselves now when the manager has told them that there’s too many foreign players.

He should be concentrating on getting the best out of the talent which is there, not just saying he needs more British players, which is another lame excuse.

Good players coached by good managers and staff play good football.

• Ian Toon

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Re-Post
    Ibiza- cAn unanswered question!. How can you a mature discerning, balanced, stable individual, give your declared backing to a callow (23 year old) totally lacking in emotional intelligence. I am 25 and I suspect around the same age as you, so it’s not a case of a generational
    thing. In most instances you would intervene to point out for example his boorish behaviour towards Ed which is completely out of order. He doesn’t know how to behave.

I know for a fact that many don’t post because of the tedious dialogue he perpetuates on here. He bites the hand that feeds him and a lesser man than Ed would give him short shift- do you not think?
    NB- I would prefer you not to respond than come back with platitudes.
    I am respecting Ed’s wish that I am not addressing criticism to him directly but to you as the adult.

• Ian Toon

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Laurent- I sincerely hope you’ll be whistling a different tune around 14.50 on Saturday.

Routledge flopped at a number of clubs before finding a measure of success at Swansea. Maybe when leaving us he was staring into the abyss and that motivated him sufficiently to get his career back on course.

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

buck and rotonda sitting in a tree…. has pards run on to the pitch to try and stop remy scoring 5 goals then

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Anyone think we should give this team a go ? :

—————-Tiote————–Sissoko——————

——HBA————-Cabaye————-Marveaux—–

—————————Remy——————————-

I would really like to find a way to get Marv in the team as his assists are worth their weight in gold . The fact he cant even get on the bench is beyond me.

• BuckLuck

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM

wolfshead@toon

Give Pardew some time. It’s not easy to remove class and god gifted talent.

• martoon

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Ian Toon – I would not take it to heart too much. I read this blog to be entertained and I enjoy your posts as well as Ibiza’s and even Ciaran/Ruddy’s. Yes I don’t always agree with Ciaran because he likes to be controversial but siill entertaining.

• Ian Toon

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

martoon- Thanks. Your easily entertained.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Ian Toon,
    Stop whining, who are you to tell people about what to post after we all suffered your pushy pardew and carl posts for months on end.

• HullMag6

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM

They’re welcome to him, too old, not enough potential carrying cisse and shola is bad enough.

Quite like the idea of Micah Richards although unrealistic I’m happy to give Mapou more time as I feel he’s more colo’s replacement rather than a working partner

I’d also keep an eye on ManUre and the situations of Smalling and Hernandez. I still think trying to snatch Rhodes from Blackburn would be worth doing. And if the option is there pending police activity sign Remy.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Ian, I’m not saying Routledge is a world beater, far from it, but he has improved as a player at Swansea from when I see him. Probably because the way in which a neater, more thoughtful style of football is coached with the players.

That is a similar way in which our technical players need to be developed.

Ian, singing to a different tune doesn’t come after one game, it comes after multiple games and consistent progress and improvement. Consistent improvement which I haven’t seen.

• jazzyp

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Gomis was never worth 10 mill……. Not even in the same class as remy. Should be putting all our eggs into securing this guy-pending court decision of course
    Another guy what we should have back and has already stated he woukd welcome this move, is fraser forster. Should never have let the lad leave in the first place- for a pittance as well

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Pardew’s war cry (cry being a good word in this case) before the Liverpool game last year was to come out and score goals against Liverpool. We will be looking to “score goals”… yes he said that.

Yet, he leaves out two attackers and fills the midfield to stifle Liverpool… 0-6. Nice brains, Alan

So, he tells us he wants goals in the build up, yet does what he wants come game time. He leads people on with the political camera line, then his lies are shown up on match day.

This is a regular occurrance once you see past his slimey, yet comfortable facade.

• Ian Toon

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Laurent- He was in decline as a player so he was faced with a return to mediocrity. He found a club that has got the best out of him. That’s not to suggest that we should not have moved him on because we have progressed in the way were seeking to play. I have watched us a lot this season and we are playing a bolder passing game. Clearly there is a lot of work still to be done but aside from individual defensive mistakes we are showing clear signs of improvement. Don’t write us off just yet.

• Ian Toon

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM

@13- Kindly contact Ed and stop the mischief. Elasticated waistband breathe in!!!!

• spitfire_

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM

We have a target?

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Ashley could turn us into a real force in the PL for less than 30 Million . I would move heaven & earth to bring in Hernandez and tie Remy down on a permanent contract . Imagine this :

——————————–Krul—————————–

–Debuchy——–Collocini——–M’biwa——–Shaw–

———-Sissoko————-Cabaye———–Anita——–

————HBA————-Hernandez——–Remy——–

Hernandez – £ 15 million If not then Ba £ 10 million
    Remy – £ 6 million
    Shaw – £ 7 Million
    Ince (Optional) £ 7 million

Total – £ 35 Million

Sell Cisse for as much as close to £ 10 million as we can get and we could have a team like that and a very strong bench . All for what a lot of clubs spend on one player 🙁 .

• jazzyp

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Big pappa
    If ya on about luke shaw from southampton….. I thought he had a £20 mill price tag on his head to stop man utd sniffing around. I feel your right about cisse tho as its been over a season now that he has put in constant below par performancesw

• scottoon

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Been awhile since I posted….

On Gomis….28 years old, questionable attitude, never has scored with consistency. I think that there are better options out there. I would take Finbogasson over Gomis anyday, but in either case I would prefer that we also lock up Remy. He has to be our priority, so long as he is not behind bars.

On Routledge….most slated him when he was here. He has moved on. Yes he has flourished in the Swansea system and that is down to coaching, but I daresay if you take him out of there (along with any number of other Swans) and they don’t cut it elsewhere.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Wolfshead

Ok back to the playground it is then

Wolfshead and probably no one else up a tree as he smells!

Did Pardew run on the pitch to stop Hull and Everton scoring?

And of course Remy has never scored goals anywhere else when he was rated at 20M+. Oh wait…………

We have a sh..e manager, just deal with it.

• scottoon

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Cisse has been a liability. His decision making is rash. His first touch is often a let down. He is not finding good space. I would have Gouff and/or Remy straight through the middle. But we remain short of options here and still need another quality striker. I agree that Hernandez, with his quality movement, would be an excellent addition.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Laurent

Sad thing is people are so gullible they get sucked in by Pardew’s constant bull and how it’s never his fault but there’s always something wrong.

Then we hear endlessly from his apologists about his 1 top 6th finish in nearly 16 years managing and how he almost won the cup one year!! Not so much about his failures at 3 different clubs.

By the law of averages and if you’ve been away for a while you’ll get 1 half decent season if you manage long enough before being found out again!

No one expects a SAF or Wenger but Pardew is low end
    and very low end at that.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I don’t necessarily think Cisse is a bad player its just Pardew doesn’t have a clue where or how to play him .

Cisse likes to play with wingers that can cut balls across the face of goal or people like Marveaux who spot a pass early and play the ball before he strays offside. Yet Pardew has played him as a lone target man and a winger at times FFS .

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Speaking of wingers, I would love us to go for Konoplyanka. Cracking player.

• Offkey

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Ian Toon – You were Pushy and Carl, it was clear from the copy and pasting and talking to yourself thinking you logged into the other account.

The only reason I can see that you are referring people to Ed is because you moaned to him about Data Protection or some rubbish like that after he revealed you to Ruddy.

I’m not even a fan of Ruddy but your lies are truly sickening.

• Mint

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Were as good as Man U so far this season – dont need Gomis, hes a bench warmer.

• Offkey

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Hey Offkey,

I had that beer with the pals I was telling you about and guess what they thought you were as great as I do. I’ll see on Friday when we’re out on the pull you hunk.

Regards

Barry brainless

• Blofal

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM

The answer to our offensive problems are Remy and Lukaku. We need to throw everything we have at those two. Defenders are a dime a dozen and can be picked up with relative ease compared to strikers.

A front six of these would be unbelievably dangerous.

Cabaye-Tiote-Sissoko
    Remy-Lukaku-Ben Arfa or Gouffran.

Try telling me that isn’t a top 6 front 6.

I know at NUFC this is a dream… but good strikers cost big money. Get Lukaku!!!

• Yohan Kebab

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

class by gerrard to give ryan taylor his top last night

• Yohan Kebab

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

we should maybe try for mitrioglu, in unbelievable form for olimpiakos and available for 7m

• Ian Toon

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Offkey- I am responding to you because I think you are for real unlike a few other posters who are embittered and just mischievous.

It has nothing to do with data protection. If you repeat a lie enough times there will be people who will believe it. Gordon Brown’s – no more boom and bust is a good example. I know a conspiracy theory is more fun but this is “both ends against the middle”- you can’t believe a word of it.

Incidentally, I suspect the reason Ed has not commented on the proposed March is because he is concerned with the whole question of unforeseen consequences. Maybe you could raise the matter when asking for confirmation of my legitimacy.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Ian…I have drafted a response (is “drafted” excessive? Well it did become rather lengthy 🙂 ).

Rather than drag the whole blog in to this, can I suggest we discuss this privately?

I’ll leave it up to you, I’ve set up an account (ibizatoon@gmail.com).

• Offkey

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Ian Toon – I dont actually mind your posts, interesting point of view sometimes. I read those back and it sounded slightly aggressive weren’t meant to be, just annoyed. Less I hear about Carl and Pushy the better. Good luck to ya.

• Ian Toon

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Offkey- For the avoidance of doubt. Ed did not reveal me to anyone, as you put it. I could publish the exchange I had with Ed, but I would have to redact to avoid betraying a confidence. You need to look elsewhere for your pantomime villain, mate.

• Ian Toon

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Offkey- Pushy and Carl are toon fans and would still be posting but for the nonsensical treatment they got.

I will take your good luck into the pool game.

• NotAGhostToon

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Not sure if this is allowed since I’ve not posted in ages but I’m currently working for a start up. We’ve made a website where young people 18-25 can find out how employable they are and companies are on board offering jobs, internships, open days, training and competitions.
    It is completely free to get on and completely above board, so far it is mainly London businesses but I thought I’d put the idea out there and see if anyone is interested?