It Was One Of My Worst Days As Newcastle Boss

The game that’s clouding Newcastle’s game against Liverpool at St. James’ Park is the corresponding fixture last season, when we were 2-0 down at the break and in the second half our players didn’t seem to bother too much, and we ended up losing 6-0.

alan pardew at cardiff

Alan Pardew – worst game of my Newcastle career

Here’s some of what Alan Pardew said in one of his many interviews on Thursday about the upcoming game, and he started by looking back at the disaster in April:

“It was one of my worst days as Newcastle boss for sure,” “Does this carry a bit more weight because of what happened? I think that’s probably true. If there isn’t an extra bit of fire in the bellies of some of our players, then there’ll be something wrong.”

“There’ll be quite a few players playing who played on that day, and I’d be disappointed if they don’t respond. I certainly want to get a result more than in most games.”

“That was a defeat that was off the back of a really tough week. We’d been battered by the press about losing the derby and psychologically, we weren’t in a great place.”

“Therefore, me coming in and being hyper critical probably wasn’t going to help. It was about being logical about how it happened, and making sure we got the team over the line, which we managed to do.”

“At that point, it was looking dangerous for us. As a team, we’re in a completely different place psychologically to where we were before that game.”

The 6-0 defeat at home to Liverpool followed a 3-0 home defeat by Sunderland, so after the Liverpool game fans were not in good spirits – to say the least.

And Newcastle will be without captain Fabricio Coloccini, who picked up a groin strain while on International duty with Argentina, and he could well be out for a few games.

We hope whoever come in for Colo will step up to the plate, because we need Newcastle at or near their best on Saturday if we are going to get anything out of this tough game.

What do you think?

• Yohan Kebab

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

G

there was one particular moment which struck home where guti was almost crying into pardew on the pitch after a game, cant remember which,

although the link to colo is pure unfounded conjecture

• Ciaran

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM

G from a few threads ago.

Concerns are noted buddy, but I don’t intend in changing any time soon. I don’t write unrelated headlines for hits, or sit on the fence to avoid offending anyone. I write what I want, when I want, in whatever style I so choose. If that is enough to keep people interested, fair play, if not, what’s been lost? I enjoy doing it, and even if no one read it, I would still enjoy doing it.

• G

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Fair enough mate.

• G

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Well done for standing by it incidentally. I tried a similar thing starting my own blog to help people getting into Mountain biking as a serious sport. Everybody who visited was supposed to contribute to advising absolute beginners on how to ride, on what to ride, and with what equipment. If you think people arguing over the merits of a football player is bad, you should see the arguments people put out defending their bikes. The ironic thing being most of the subscribers had bikes from halfords or argos, bought purely for the colour, knew nowt about the sport, or even that there were real local competitions. Anyway, it was a bloody nightmare. I shut it down after less than a fortnight. I will never try it again.

• Ciaran

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

At least you had the guts to try it. You had your fingers burned with that one, but who is to say that you wouldn’t fare better with a NUFC blog? Haha

My writing may be a lot self indulgent, but I’m at pains to point out that I am not a journalist and have no want nor inclination to go into that field. I be deliberately one sided and biased because I want my writing to reflect who I am. I am divisive, opinionated and a little bit annoying.

If my blog get’s 100 people while Ed’s get’s 1 million, fair play to the guy. I’ll still think my writing is better 😉

Tongue firmly in cheek people!

• Ciaran

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

*gets – rookie error, I’m going to blame the fact that it’s late 😛

• G

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I tried and failed to achieve what I wanted. With hindsight the fact that I can’t even moderate oldest daughter’s facebook should have told me that I was going to fail! One for experience really, but mucho respect to those who go for it and achieve their aims.

• boater

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Team for Liverpool:

krul
    debuchy-williamson-m’biwa
    gouffran-tiote-sammi a
    cabaye
    ben arfa-cisse-remy

Match Liverpools 3 at the back (and compensate for the absence of Colo) Gouffran and Sammi have the athleticism to run the flanks in a wingback role, and allow the front 4 to put liverpool on the back foot – the only way we can hope to compete.

This team sheet is genius.

• SirBobbyTheLegend

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM

@ BOATER… Why aren’t you England manager :/

• RonVanDam

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM

@SirBobbyTheLegend

If he was, I bet we’ll all get games :p

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM

SBL…that’s because anyone with some dignity would not want to work for your FA!

…Pardew and ‘Arry probably would 😉 lol

• John Tudor

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:40 AM

never mind worst dayas boss
    it should have been last day as boss

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:41 AM

So this is a new day and a good day to improve yourself!

…should be good for alot of you guys 😉 lol

Morning y’all

• John Tudor

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:41 AM

yes 3-4-3 stick it up ’em

• cyprus

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Been gone a few days, interesting posts…
    Let’s see: Debuchy has been great with France, he’ll carry that with NUFC, I’m sure. Santon, on the left, will need to be super alert on Saturday. Of course, the biggest concern is in the CB position. For me, the first to get the nod should be Mbiwa, despite the couple poor games. He’s fast, they’re fast, simple. Who comes in with him? I’m not sure Taylor is as good as some here think, as they mistake his passion for skill. His positioning is notoriously poor; he’s error prone, almost a dead cert per game, like Shambles. Conclusion? Williamson…

Now, up front. We need the unpredictability of HBA, to keep them on their toes. Put him in first half, if he’s having a stinker (like last 2 games!), sub him for Gouffran at 45′.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:45 AM

JT…with the football philosophy of some on here if playing a 3-4-3 our att. wide men are going to be running a marahton and going a whole lot of tracking back!

• John Tudor

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM

oops i forgot pardew fails to do formations ala harry basset
    “we are playing bloody 4-4-2, it was good enough for sir alf so its good enough for me”

• John Tudor

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM

thats why we have fitness bird and subs

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Cyprus…the funny think is that most player were having stinkers in those games!

…Benny is the kind of player who plays well when those around him are great!

At this moment in time they are not! and our midfield is a main reason – they are not tight as a unit, they are not safeguarding the defense and they are not making the necessary runs.

The interesting game where against Everton where everyone had a stinker in the first half. Pardew subs Mbiwa and Benny at halftime and suddenly some thinks that is why we played better. Really?

Some on here have even come to the conclusion that Benny was at fault for all three goals because he doesn’t track back – now even the commmentators were saying that Benny was the only player putting Everton under any pressure and they didn’t understand the sub.

Now alot of our players are never going to shine under Pardew and there will never be consistency; we can blame what ever reason we want for that. I know where I stand.

And on top of that if Pardew stats with Benny tomorrow then I would not have Tiote any near the team!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM

JT…no that is not why we have a fitness bird and subs!

…this is probably here we all misunderstand each other. Glad I never played football under that illusion 😉

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM

With these words of wisdom I bit y’all a good morning!

…I am affraid to stay cause I fear sanity has not returned just yet 😉

• Burni

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM

On “there’s no reason that we cannot cope against Liverpool” There is four reasons…. Our defence. They are not very good at defending. Our mids and atts when we attack can beat any team on their day but our defence cant defend for toffee

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM

One of his worst days… it was the worst game I’ve been to, beaten only by the next worst which was the home game before.

Yet to him it was ‘one of his worst’ days Says it all really. Poor performances in abundance. Maybe his record breaking bad form at West Ham was on his mind as well as ours.

He is stifling the potential of these players and is a master of lowering expectation. He is not good enough for a home crowd of 52,000.