More Italian Clubs Now Pursue Newcastle Target


We would assume the transfer price of potential striker target Bafetimbi Gomis in January will be a key factor as to whether Newcastle will try to sign the 28 year-old French International striker, who Joe Kinnear tried to sign in the summer but was unsuccessful.

Bafetimbi Gomis   -5797941

Bafe Gomis – will Newcastle sign him in January?

There was news yesterday that Italian club Lazio were interested in the striker, but there is further news today that Fiorentina and Roma could also be interested in signing the player.

And since his five year contract runs out next summer at Lyon he should be available at a decent price, and that will probably interest Newcastle.

Newcastle almost did a deal in the summer for the player, but his agent wanted too much money for himself, and Newcastle refused to pay out the agent’s requested fee.

And now his agent Francesco Di Frisco has talked to the Italian site Tutto Mercato in what they call an exclusive, and Di Frisco says what he thinks the transfer fee would be for Gomis in January:

“There was still no formal request from Lazio, and in my opinion Gomis would do very well in the Italian Championship.”

“Knowing the President of Lyon, I think €3M is probably the maximum fee in the winter market, with the player out of contract in June 2014.”

“I have not had extensive contacts with any of the Italian clubs, I was talking with Rome and Lazio, but I have not had confirmation from them.”

€3M is only around £2.5M, and since the Newcastle bid was close to £10M in August, the transfer fee seems low to us.

We don’t know where Newcastle stand in  any negotiations for Gomis, but if he is a target, then Newcastle should move in now with a firm offer, and try to get the player to Tyneside in early January.

If his transfer fee is indeed under £3M, expect even more clubs to become interested in the player in January.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

14 comments so far

  • jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM

    Comment #1

    They can him and his agents 😉

    0
  • toonincheek

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:03 AM

    Comment #2

    I’m not one of yer usual conspiracy theorists, but I smell a rat with this one.

    Gomis was never worth the amount we were rumoured to have bid.
    If we really did bid as much as reported, seems to me it would have been another “injury” and “back out of the deal” scenario.

    0
  • Rainrix

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM

    Comment #3

    Meh, average player. Everyone was just so desperate for a signing in the last window that this lad was made out to be something he’s not. No way in hell is he worth 8mil or whatever we were going to pay for him. But if he was available for 3mil i’d take him, mainly because ash isnt going to pay more than that for anyone 🙂

    0
  • jazzyp

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM

    Comment #4

    I said it in the summer and i’ll say it now. Gomis is no better than what we already have. Signing players that are of an equal standard to what we have is not gonna take the club forward.
    Imo if defo is available for around the same fee its a no brainer for me

    0
  • toonarmydownsouth

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM

    Comment #5

    Really can’t see what this lad would bring to the squad, 28 yrs old, never played outside of France, average scoring record and is just as bad as cisse for offsides
    Just seems a real waste of time and effort all put into one very average player who doesn’t meet any of the quotas the club have laid down ie: under 26 with sell on value and more recently British

    0
  • Transfer Sage

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM

    Comment #6

    glad we never got him, much rather that money is put aside for getting remy bought up or for other players, he is not a good player from the bits I have seen…just average and no way worth that money.

    If we get him on a free it might be ok, but only as a squad player.

    0
  • Black and White with an army lol

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM

    Comment #7

    another poacher, no thanks but if he’s going for 3 million the agent will ask for about 3-4 million for himself and also pay Gomis 70-80k a week in wages which is pathetic

    0
  • Transfer Sage

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM

    Comment #8

    tads

    I think we have a reasonable squad now, probably need the odd player, remy done permanent, another option up top, maybe a commanding/physical CB.

    But after that to kick on we really need to look to either buy 15/20mil+ players (unless you get very lucky with a release clause or end of contract but not likely often) or we need to start spending 5-10 mil bringing in top 16-18 year olds from the championship/below like arsenal and spurs have done with bale, walcott, chamberlain, etc

    And then longer term make sure we are making the walcotts, bales, etc…maybe pardew has some knowledge of how southamptons academy worked as they produced some of the best players going.

    0
  • jazzyp

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

    Comment #9

    Would sooner put the 3-4 million towards ince who has potential rather than a player that is going to offer us nothing to what we already have

    0
  • Transfer Sage

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM

    Comment #10

    jazzyp

    yeh that would be good, he’s out of contract in the summer so should try and get a deal done january.

    Also I’d be happy for the money to be invested in some top coaches for the academy and to look to upgrade facilities even more. Maybe even put some more football centres around the region which has subsadised NUFC coaching to try and find more local talent.

    Surely we can match southamptons academy…bale, chamberlain, walcott, shaw, llalana….thats just off the top of my head over the past few years…not just average players…top talent being brought through.

    0
  • jazzyp

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM

    Comment #11

    Transfer sage
    Weve been trying to do the accademy scenario for years but to no success. Bigi has dropped away-ameobi is not worth or deserves a first team spot- much was made of campbell but at 17 rooney was scoring wonder goals for everton.

    0
  • Transfer Sage

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM

    Comment #12

    jazzy

    I think sammy ameobi has actually improved this year and is putting in effort which he didn’t seem to before, he beats men easily but still needs to work on his final ball and shot, but he is getting better, whether he will cut it at the top or not i dont know, but he has potential still.

    I agree in general on the academy, it is pretty weak and has been for 20+ years. We produce the odd good player but very few go on to anything in decent level football after.

    The club say they are improving it and working hard, and i don’t expect them to announce all the changes going on, but we don’t seem to have a good set up with coaching staff, too many old boys who dont seem to have the passion or ability to bring the youngsters on enough.

    Also when I was younger, probably 10 years ago i used to go to a local sunderland training with my mackem friend, they sent an affiliated coach (not high level or anything) to run coaching sessions on weekends for a couple quid a time, it had about 20/30 there and its things like that what help them identify players who have slipped through the net…never seen anything newcastle affiliated like that in my area. We even got to play, and get spanked off, a touring USA academy.

    0
  • lesh

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM

    Comment #13

    Probably as well he’s likely off elsewhere – at least Kinnear’ll be able waste his time going through the motions on someone else! What a waste of space that clown is. Wish Ashley’d just get rid of him.

    0
  • jazzyp

    Oct 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

    Comment #14

    Transfer i agree and hope your right pal. But i wouldnt mention the mackem thing lol

    0

You must log in to post a comment.