There’s No Reason We Cannot Cope Against Liverpool

Alan Pardew was reminded in his press conference this afternoon, of last year’s game against Liverpool at St. James’ Park which ended up with Newcastle leaking six goals, and that followed the previous home game when we were shockingly beaten 3-0 by Sunderland, which was one of only two win Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio had in his short tenure as the Sunderland manager – and it was simply terrible for Newcastle fans.

alan pardew in black wonga

Alan Pardew – no reason why we cannot cope without Coloccini

Alan was asked about last season’s game at home against the Reds:

“The Liverpool defeat was probably the heaviest defeat I have had as a manager, and you have to make sure it doesn’t happen again and build yourself up, and we did after that defeat, and take some kind of positive out of it.”

“And make sure it doesn’t happen again.”  “We’ve got to bolster the squad and a couple of changes in the team may give us a boost and work out for us.” “There’s no reason we cannot cope with Colo’s absence.”

There was news earlier in the week that Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa could come back into central defense, and that’s because of his mobility, which will be needed because of the quickness and skill of Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez.

Also ike Williamson’s is best as a plain old-fashioned stopper, and of course he’s good in the air, although that may not be a specific danger tomorrow against Liverpool, since they don’t exactly have any big men up front – just good ones. 😀

It’s definitely going to be tough for Newcastle to get anything out of this game, and we’d be very happy with a point – and delirious with 3 points.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I’d start with willo and yanga
    Tbh willo looked solid enough last time out and Taylor for me will be far too fired up, grabbing shirts and arms flailing everywhere!

JimBOB
    Going to be a funny game, really can’t even guess how it will go because are form is all over the shop!

Don’t reckon pards will set up defensively though, he’s set us up with quite an attacking look since remy has been starting and has highlighted several times he wants more threading up front

Personally for me, I’d drop cisse
    The game is far to big for us to be carrying a passenger, same for the mackem game too
    I’m also hoping Anita will be restored to the line up, think tiote played well against Cardiff like but there a team who don’t move the ball that quickly and like a battle, the pace Liverpool move the ball around I think will take tiote out of the game

Either way I just hope the lads play with a bit if fire and at least look like they have gone out to restore some pride after the mauling they gave us last season

Ciaran
    Good lad mate, glad you haven’t taken that as an attack or a slight on you!

• nufc786

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

ive missed something haven’t I?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

tequila…since my point was in regards to the topic raised by Ed and the article in the thread I cannot see how or why you would correct me in regards to Benny lack of defending by saying and I quote:

“Jesper modern football is not like table football.
    Better players than HBA make an effort to close down the opposition and track back.”

Tracking back and closing down the opposition are the exact opposite and does not refer to what I was saying.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM

nufc786
    Maybe I don’t know, but we’ve all missed you……
    Especially your tiote banter!

• croftus5678

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM

@1 tads

on the first sentance i agree completely and would be my choice also.

willo out of any of our defenders (as much as he scares me with his mistakes) has earnt his starting spot and i dont agree with taking out our top performers just because someone else is available.

• toon kk

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM

How can we compete with Liverpool? It will be one hell of a result if we win their in a different league to our penny pinched club.

• jimBOB

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Personally I would see what willo and Taylor could do. the reason I say that is two fold ( look at me sounding all educated )

1-they will be more effective in the air, especially with Gerrard and Skertal Banging balls all over the place.

2- they are more effective than any player for newcastle on attacking corners, no they do not allways score but the are always aimed for.

just saying.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Croftus
    Exactly mate, no one should be a guaranteed starter which why I’m struggling to think of our forward line as the last couple of games neither benny it cisse deserve to start and goofy looked great on the right!
    More inclined to wanting to see HBA start though over cisse atm, just hope he doesn’t drop both and bring in gabby, there’s been a worrying amount of articles about him recently!!!

• tequilamag

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Why on earth are we setting up tactics where Benny has to track back for it to work?

…who the hell is that tactical genius that came up with that? What’s next, we want Colo going forward when we are attacking?

You set up your team defensively and offensively where you get the most out of the situation. Basically what you are asking is for Benny for Benny to create magic upfront and take on the opposition and then track back and defense for then to go forward again!

Genius plan 😉
    This is the post I was responding to. You seem to be suggesting that HBA should only have to attack and not defend. My table football comment was tounge in cheek. As for tracking back and closing down they are both actions that should be automatic when your team has lost possession. I am Puzzled you see them as exact opposites.

• nufc786

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM

jimBOB

Taylor bleeds black and white there is no doubt.. but lately he has been very rash in challenges and handling quck and nippy strikers epecially at citeh…

i wouldnt like to imagine willo and stevie t up against two world class strikers

sturridge and suarez both are very pacey strikers and i personally think that Mbiwa should start

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Tequila…my point was there for the taking in the middle paragraph:

“…You set up your team defensively and offensively where you get the most out of the situation.”

Not every player need to track back mate, and nor do every player need to add something offensively.

My question was why our tactic is are set up only to work if players such as Benny track back?

Your comment might be tongue in cheek (can’t see how I such have picked that up though) but I still can’t see what point it was serving other than trying to correct something without getting it right yourself.

• jimBOB

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM

nufc786

I see what ya saying, my intention was in attacking and defending certain plays we could capitalize on. Mbiwa is pacey but in regards to playing against suarez and sturridge I dont think many defenders can match them, he also has a lack of positioning prowess, he wraps himself in knotts on corners and with the heading power they have I feel he would be a liability.

I just think they will get alot of Corners.

still im feeling good, cant shake this feeling. Watch Mbiwa get the winner. hahaha

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Tequila
    Agree, that’s something for me, benny doesn’t do automatically at all

Defending doesn’t strictly have to mean we see the lad playing RB when we don’t have the ball, he should be pressuring the opponents in there half instead of allowing them the time to build an attack, goofy and cabs always press the oppositions so yeah he should be working harder when were not in possession

• tequilamag

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Jesper I understood your point, I just disagreed with it and still do. I think every player should do his share of the defensive stuff. Tracking back and closing down may not be Bennys cup of tea but if not him the who?
    TS made the point that Debuchy is expected to get forward and link up with HBA and still get back and defend,Why should HBA not get back and help Debuchy ?

• tequilamag

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM

tads. He will never be able to do what Jonas does defensively, not expecting miracles I just think he could do more. Hopefully by hooking him and dropping him for a game the point is made. I hope he plays saturday,

• croftus5678

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM

agree 1st thing on benny’s mind ought to be to atk without a doubt but tracking back wouldnt and doesnt hurt as long as its not too far back to hurt them on the counter !

personally i would put dummett in place of santon as he’s better at defending and leave remy/cabaye/goofy/benny to make them worry about attacking us

• nufc786

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

jimBOB
    you know what i notice between collo and mbiwa… they are not vocal enough as cb in my opinion

i mean judging on ability they blow willo and taylor out of the water but in the 2nd half against everton and at cardiff you always saw willo being vocal and communicating with collo…

maybe there might still be the language barrier for mbiwa but a key thing for any cb pairing is communication along with the rest of the defence

• Graeme

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM

The thought of Saylor starting doesnt fill me with joy, especially after he’s been out for how many months?? Suarez & Sturridge will run him ragged and he will end up getting sent off.

Colo is probably lucky to be not playing, he has looked almost ponderous in the last few games and has cost us goals. That only leaves us with Willo & Mbiwa which means the FB’s are going to earn their wages at the back, trying to contain Liverfools 2 very pacey forwards.

I hope we score a few on Saturday, I can certainly see us conceeding a couple unless the back 4 play their best game of the season on the day!!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Tequila…glad we sorted that out 🙂

I am fine with us disagreeing – we all see football differently; especially across borders!

On the topis TS mentioned about Debuchy getting forward. That is what is expected of the our fullback in a modern 4-3-3. The point this is serving is to make sure you crowd the midfield and have more bodies in and around the box. If Benny tracks back when Debuchy goes forward then you have sort of misunderstood the point.

This is what I meant about setting up our game defensively and offensively where you get the most out of the situation.

I think our problems lies in the central midfield. They are simply not doing what they should be doing in a modern 4-3-3 to make sure we get the best out of the situation.

I am not saying Benny shouldn’t be working harder – I just don’t want him to do that defensively.

• tequilamag

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Jesp, just for clarirty mate I dont expect Benny to track back when Deuchy goes forward. What I meant was Debuchy can and does link up with Benny offensively. By the same token when the opposition FB is getting forward when they have the ball then really Benny should be tracking that runner. If not then Debuchy is going to be outnumbered.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Tequila…I don’t want Benny in our defense when the opposition’s fullback goes forward because everyone knows most offensive players won’t make it 90 mins. and they won’t be in an advanced position when we get the ball and we loose our advantage.

This is basically our problem – we don’t have enough bodies in and around the box when going forward. This has in the past resulted in alot of hoofing up to Cissé.

When the opposition’s fullback goes forward and comes too deep, our DM had to safeguard the defense. That’s his most important task. Our other two CM has to track back and help.

Asking our wide players to mark modern att. fullbacks will only result in something similar to the 1980s 3-5-2 where the wingers were running half a marathon during a game.

• Rainrix

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Anyone else just see ruddy on bbc north east?

• DevonToon

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I give us a 0% chance of a clean sheet without colo… so do we really think remy will out score liverpool?

• tequilamag

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Jesper with all due respect they are professional athletes. The idea that Benny should be excused defending because he my get tired seems wrong to me. There are many players just as effective as Benny playing the same position who still do work their socks off.

• roy

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Its Ciaran, and the march of the upset baldies moaning about Ashley’s regime. That’s certain to unsettle the team waving white hankies.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM

”It’s probably my biggest defeat as a manager” so can we read in to that, that he can’t remember how many five or six nil hidings he’s took !

• DevonToon

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Benny should not have to track back, but he should be pressing the opposition high up the pitch and closing players down in their own half, not ours.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

tequila….it’s about tactics and about getting the best out of our team both defensively and offensively.

…it is getting silly all this talk about Benny “has” to track back just because they are all athletes.

Not everyone has to track back!

Basically what this boils down to is two different ways at looking at football (and football styles)

Respectfully!

• tequilamag

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Jesp yeah agreed, 2 different philosophies.

• Offkey

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I am all for Benny not tracking back but who does then. In a 4-3-3, I would suggest at least one of the three should, to remain solid (to get a bank of 4) and against better teams or those that pack the middle I would suggest that 2 should.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I think we should concede a 3-0 defeat against LFC

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Why do we need HBA to track back? what are DMF for?

• JaxtheMag

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

collo is out for 2months.

• Offkey

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Leaving 3 forwards against 2 CB’s in the hope they don’t score and we can counter sounds a tad dangerous. Especially with our defensive frailties.

• tequilamag

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM

HD and who is covering the gap left in midfield when the Tiote or Cabaye is forced to cover the wing ?

And HD according to you we are going to get beat every game. Seriously why do you even bother following Newcastle? You clearly get no enjoyment from the experience,unless of course you get your enjoyment by constantly running down the club and it`s players.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Yeah!

• Toon Tang

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

does pards even watch our games?

• Mister Tuff

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Even if Benny does track back -let’s be honest he’s not much good as a defender -more often than not opposition players drift past him. He needs to be an outlet -and therefore not too far back.
    Ref the game on Saturday – looks like Suarez and Sturridge are on form. I think any unbiased observer would accept Liverpool are progressing -it’s apparent to see. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about the Toon -I’m at a loss to say whether we are progressing or not – it’s just not obviously apparent.

• yo-yo

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Ruddy,

Has Ed been on your blog self publicising, trying to poach readers and slagging you off ?

Has he contradicted the basis of your vendetta against IanToon – who you still seem to be labelling as a sociopath ?

You’re loud, very loud, and are one of the reasons some of us post much less often than previously – and some not at all.

You need to show Ed some respect and quit criticising him with such scant regard or just clear off into your own little online space and leave this blog entirely. Then we can have real choice – your blog and/or this one but not, I hope, both at the same time

• G

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

On any given day, any team can beat the opposition, no matter what the gulf in cost and quality is. I still maintain that we have a stronger side than our form would dictate, however, I do have my already well voiced belief that they lack decent leadership. Historically speaking, this has always been one of the hottest fixtures for us, and I believe we can win it. It’s unfortunate that Liverpool are in form, and have some of the most dangerous strikers in the league at their disposal, but it doesn’t make them unbeatable. I reckon we will bag at least a point for this one.