Pardew – Newcastle Play On Front Foot And Attack Teams

We are sure Newcastle will play on a 4-3-3 attacking formation against Liverpool tomorrow, but we’ll have to be very wary of Liverpool’s attack force of Sturridge and Suarez, who could be the best in the Premier League this season.

Alan Pardew at Rangers shouting

Alan Pardew – plays attractive football?

And with Newcastle again showing this season that we can leak a lot of goals, we conceded a massive 68 in the 38 Premier League games last season, our worst defensive performance ever in the PL, some Newcastle fans are approaching this game with just a little trepidation.

We’re not sure which team will turn up tomorrow, whether it’s the side that played so brilliantly in the first half at Cardiff and were 2-0 up at the half, or the side that looked completely hopeless in the first half at Everton and were losing 3-0 at half time –  and they were consecutive league games. 🙁

So it’s hardly surprising that Alan Pardew is again talking about consistency today:

“It’s very important to be consistent. When you get a defeat like a 6-0 against Liverpool, then you have to really make sure you’re on your mettle. It probably kicks you into gear to make some changes.”

“You have to make sure that there’s a response in the next game, and we managed to get ourselves out of that hole fortunately, but it was a tough day.”

“I’ve also had some good days against Liverpool. My first game was special, and the victory over them the previous season was a sweet one as well. Against a big club like Liverpool, you can’t expect to have it all your own way.”

“Since I’ve been here, I like to think I’ve set teams up to play an attractive style of football and win games on the front foot. At the back end of last year, I thought we got ourselves into a position where it was difficult to set teams up like that because I didn’t think we were carrying enough threat.”

“This year, I don’t think that. I think we carry a lot of threat, and therefore we just need to get the shape of the team and the defending side of things nailed down. If we can do that, we’re going to score goals.”

We do have more attacking prowess with Loic Remy now at the club, and Yohan Cabaye in good form too, so maybe that will make Liverpool a little bit wary of attacking us all out tomorrow, which is basically what they did in the 6-0 hammering we took in April.

It’s an opportunity for every Newcastle player who plays tomorrow to do a couple of things.

One is to make up for that woeful performance when we last met Liverpool, and the other is to show the Newcastle fans that we do indeed have a good team this season.

If we can do those two things there’s a chance we could even take something out of the game, but it will be very tough.

What do you think?

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Transfer, I think that the ball on the floor this year is mainly down to Anita being in there and has played consistently quite well so far, yet Pardew goes against his own gripe with Ben Arfa about being inconsistent and drops Anita.

Also, just because the ball is on the floor it doesn’t mean we’re playing good football. Not at all in fact, it just means that we’re booting the ball in the air less. Apart from a couple of 15 or 20 minutes of decent play and an imoroved second half against Everton, we have still been very poor.

Against Everton they were coasting, so it isn’t hard for us to improve in that second half when the opposition have already thought they’ve won. A great pot shot by Cabaye has got the first goal, just like Ben Arfa’s individual skill for his as was Remy’s plus a couple of finishing rebounds.

Cluelessness is still there in the final third.

He had his strongest team out against Hull and we still lost. The rot just continues for me.

• Belfast

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

He’s talking out of his arse again.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

“Since I’ve been here, I like to think I’ve set teams up to play an attractive style of football and win games on the front.”

If that quote there isn’t highlighting the man’s delusions of grandeur, then something is up with the way you interpret football.

• SharpEnough23

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

We lacked confidence towards the end of last year. People forget we drew 1-1 at anfield the start of last season.

It will be a tough game, but I think we can get something out of it

• Belfast

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I can’t see how we have a far bigger threat this year. When it’s just the same team as last season + Remy.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

laurent

personally i dont rate anita that highly, he doesn’t defend any better than average midfielder, his attacking isn’t great, he doesn’t spray 50 yard passes, doesn’t play many killer passes/create chances and he also struggles to run at people…i don’t see what he really does.

I think people do really like him as he does the basics well, but thats what the likes of cabaye and tiote should be doing as well as defending and attacking the way they do. He needs to add more to his game.

I do agree though that we keep the ball on the floor but still play as individuals not a team, which is our main problem.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Belfast, yes indeed.

• Black and White with an army lol

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

we will be destroyed by Liverpool, we lost against Hull and struggled against Cardiff to keep hold of the 3 points which we were lucky to do so.

i for 1 don’t look at the points we have but the way we play, first half against Cardiff and second half against Everton is the way we should be playing, attacking and high pressing is the way we should be playing against Liverpool but once we get a goal ( big if ) we will sit back

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Transfer, he keeps the ball moving and links up play around the pitch. He has fairly quick acceleration and seems agile when getting in front of the man and can nicks in with a nice tackle as well.

If more players around him were coached into playing with better movement and understanding between each other the team would function better and ball retention would improve dramatically.

Ajax product and a Dutch International, I think he can be a valued player if we were clued up around the pitch, but fine if you don’t see the same things.

I thought he’s done well so far this year, but Pardew seems to prefer bigger framed players due to his incapable ability to formulate a effective pass and move strategy.

• catchy in norway

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

come on guys , he may set them up to be in the front foot but something is lost in translation with all those foreign player we have , because we seem very defence minded when we are out on the pitch,

this for me is a classic case of Pardews split personality , saying one thing and doing another

also , does anyone else thinks pardew believes what he is saying ? because in my little head , I you believe the crap that come out of his mouth , you know nothing at all about football, for the amour of shit games I have watched over his 3 ( seems like 8) years we have been defensively set up, and even his own coach last year said we concentrate on defending 4 days a week in training

this guy is full of it=sh

• Black and White with an army lol

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Transfer Sage

Anita is an unique player that chases the ball to win it back same goes as Gouffran, Tiote stays in his hole and waits for the opposition to come to him and Cabaye sometimes chases the ball but his tackles are horrendous and could end up on a collection of red cards.

i think this is why us fans favor him most times

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

*an effective

• Black and White with an army lol

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

catchy in norway

couldn’t put it better myself mate, spot on.

loads of times iv’e heard AP say they are gonna attack from start to finish then suddenly we get a goal then the most stupid play begins an AP special and that’s sitting on 1-0 leads in about the first 20 minutes in the first half

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

laurent

I do see the good anita does, i like how he moves the ball on quickly and does the simple things well.

My point wasn’t that he is a bad player, just thats the basics of what all good players should have. I think the lad needs to add more to his game, whether he improves defensively or offensively, he has to add more strings to his bow really.

In the same way our other players need to learn to do what anita does, they need to be able to offer for a pass and make the simple passes quickly to keep the game moving.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Hilarious headline. How delusional is this prat? Pardew quite often plays 3 x DMs at home! If by some miracle we go ahead it’s 10 men back in their own half for the duration and then we inevitably can’t hold out. There’s no pass and move to relieve the pressure either.

Liverpool are going the right way, assembling a great good to watch team with a manager light years ahead of
    our joke of one.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

catchy

I accept a team can’t dominate for 90 mins, even barca dont do it…but you can win both halves by dominating a good 30 mins of each and i think it’s something we never do.

What I think we need to do is just look to play our own game, we do sit back way too much which doesn’t help us at all.

• catchy in norway

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Anita would be in my team, he is one if those players that try to keep the game flowing, always makes himself available ,

jonas falls down to much given the other team time to regroup

tiote fouls to much, even though I think it’s his name that gets him noticed more

sissoko can be great , but for the most part he is a headless chicken , if he stayed as a box to box player playing it simple but driving forward like I know he can, he Gould be a great

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

catchy

I’d play a midfield three of tiote, cabaye and anita…let cabaye get forward more with those two covering.

I don’t think sissoko uses his head and seems to not play as well as he did in the first few games where he ran at the right time but also played good passes.

• catchy in norway

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

transfer

a huge problem for me is we don’t concentrate on our strengths in which I think we have many, we concentrate on stopping there strengths 🙁

then in turn we as fans start looking at our strengths as weaknesses and ask why is he in the team

cabaye , HBA , cisse , all very talented players in there right positions with the right support around them , and on there days can all destroy teams, trouble is there often isolated with no help, football is a team game

an your 100% right , no team dominates for 90, but most teams do get a spell where they do , regardless of who there playing, but us , we have plenty ov possession , but it’s not what I class as domanating football , it’s keep ball do nothing with it

• catchy in norway

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

we will get hammered tomorrow 🙁

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Catchy

I don’t worry about losing tomorrow, I think even if we dont play well we have players like krul, cisse, ben arfa, remy, cabaye who can save us or win us the game with their own individual brilliance.

Ideally that individual brilliance would be the icing on the cake (the cake being solid team displays with good defending and solid team based goals) but it’s still good to have the icing even without the cake….if any of that made sense.

We all want better but it is what it is currently so have to just try and find the positives and cling to them. I think we can do better and should be getting a better manager but who knows if/when we will.

People might be sick of this fact but jurgen klopp at dortmund gets 1.8mil euro a year…works out around £30k a week….not a huge salary.

If he gets paid that much then surely we could get a very good manager for around 20-40k a week,…..just the wage of an average player…sell obertan and gosling and theres your money for wages.

• Scottiedog

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM

As long as we attack Liverpool from the start we will have a chance for a 2-1 win. Midfield needs to be Anita & Tiote sitting with Cabaye feeding Goufran, Remy & Cisse.

Cisse to get both goals!!

MA to stick both fingers up to the protesters after the win!

• catchy in norway

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

transfer

every game should start with a SOLID team performance but sometime we don’t even look like a team out there and normally I’m quite proud of our goals we score , there the highlight of the game

don’t get me wrong they should be , but I’d be very happy if the team tomorrow has a go , draws or even looses but the players walk off knowing they gave there all, the 4-3 v Man U is the only game I can say I was proud of them under pardew , we played as a team and had a go, and that for me is a sad fact

• Sav

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Season is only young and we are mid-table. Pardew’s job in insulating the squad from all the upstairs shenanigans at NUFC should not be underestimated. Apart from watching his own back, he’s making a player finally out of Hatem, has kept Colo and Cabaye on board with minimum fuss and is dealing with a largely foreign squad with no help from above. Lets give the man a bit of credit. None of the team has a bad word to say about him. And lets not capitulate before a ball is kicked tomorrow. HTL!

• catchy in norway

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

an I say for the protest tomorrow , good luck I think it’s the right thing, but please don’t scream and shout or get violent try and smash up anything

let it be remembered for the right reasons 😉

• Maladoni 69

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

TS @ 16.

Completely agree. I can’t remember a game when we actually bossed both halfs. I’m going all the way back to the opener against Spurs last season when was pretty poor in the second half. I can accept games away when we dominate first half but are pegged back in the second but at home we should be beasting teams for the majority of the game.

• catchy in norway

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM

sav

how many players had a bad word to say about JFK ? none saylor raved about him even ,
    his job isn’t to try and keep players , it’s about getting them playing affectively as a team , a unit, this he is failing at

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

catchy

I am proud of more games than that…the 2-0 at home to liverpool stands out for me….and the 4-4 draw with arsenal was a great comeback.

I do agree that we don’t do the team performance, too many games we look like 11 individuals who train separately….I just think that has never improved under pardew.

Some aspects get better, like we have better players, keep the ball on the deck more but the team play has stayed consistently non existent.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

maladoni

I dont expect us to dominate all home games but like i said above…we should be able to look at games against sides like hull, cardiff, etc and be able to dominate the majority of those games.

I wouldn’t say it will happen every time we play lesser sides but it should be the norm not the exception.

• Maladoni 69

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I think we’ll get spanked tomorrow but I’ve still put £10 on for 5-0. 500-1.

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

the haters are out in force again predicting doom not to difficult given the difference in class of the teams but hey if you dont like the manager lump all the blame on him same old record playing again haha

• lesh

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I worry that we seem to ever hearing Pardew bugging up the so-called big clubs and I’m not sure that’s going to do our players’ confidence any good.

What’s the adage? Say something often enough and people will believe it and adopt a ‘why bother’ attitude.

Come off it Mr P, I’d rather you stopped commenting on the opposition but praise you’re players’ abilities and boost their confidence!

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM

wolfshead

well I personally think pardew is the weakest link in the team at the moment…and i think we can do better.

do i back the lads during the 90 minutes they are on the pitch, sure i do…give them nothing but support. Dont see how discussing things here should make a difference.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM

lesh

what worries me is the interview above…if pardew is saying that to boost confidence, etc then it’s fine with me.

If he genuinely believes it then he cannot see the problem and it explains why our team work/play hasn’t improved.

• lesh

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

wolfie

It’s so disappointing that there are so many sheep that find it easier to criticise Pardew.

Ok, he may not be in the same league as Mourinho et al but we don’t seem to hear constant criticism of Hughton for example who like other managers hasn’t exactly set the world on fire. Have we got more sheep in our little fraternity?

The only words of caution for the sheep is be careful what you wish for.

Don’t forget that Ashley got rid if Allardyce because the fans didn’t like him.

But if he hears a groundswell of discontent and get rid of Pardew and there’s one thing for sure – there’ll be no Keegan or other fans’ favourite brought in to replace him!

Caveat emptor.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

lesh

But there are so many better managers out there…look at who southampton got, pochettino..he has them playing well but also solid at the back, swansea got laudrupp, west brom play some decent stuff under steve clarke..there are plenty ‘lesser clubs’ who attract better managers.

Nobody is asking for a mourinho, a wenger, a guardiola….but just a manager who suits the players we seem to look to keep bringing in.

I don’t see how not liking the manager makes you a sheep…just because a lot have that opinion doesn’t mean they blindly follow each other, just means they all don’t like him.

• Belfast

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I’m no sheep lesh, I’m a wild cat…

• Transfer Sage

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

lesh

i do get the concern that ashley will just appoint JFK or some other idiot though…but that doesn’t mean we should stick with a manager who isn’t doing well enough.

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

lesh/sage

pards is an an average manager but so is the team overseen by an owner who has set aside a limited budget blaming pards for all the ills is annoying/depressing/and unrealistic the haters always come out before a game we are likely to lose or after a game we should have won but when we have a good result do they offer any praise? or take some delight from it? nope the ones that do come out try and take the shine off it sad very sad

• lesh

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Sage.

Its words such as ‘Against a BIG club like Liverpool’ that worry me.

He needs to be focusing on getting the lads to regard Newcastle United a the biggest and best club they ever have or will play for.

Getting them to think that way and they’ll believe in themselves and the club. It’s worked before and there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work again.

But the message needs to be delivered by a third party, a sports psychologist, along with Pardew.