The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – Newcastle Play On Front Foot And Attack Teams

10:07 am, Friday, October 18th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 94 Comments

We are sure Newcastle will play on a 4-3-3 attacking formation against Liverpool tomorrow, but we’ll have to be very wary of Liverpool’s attack force of Sturridge and Suarez, who could be the best in the Premier League this season.

Alan Pardew at Rangers shouting

Alan Pardew – plays attractive football?

And with Newcastle again showing this season that we can leak a lot of goals, we conceded a massive 68 in the 38 Premier League games last season, our worst defensive performance ever in the PL, some Newcastle fans are approaching this game with just a little trepidation.

We’re not sure which team will turn up tomorrow, whether it’s the side that played so brilliantly in the first half at Cardiff and were 2-0 up at the half, or the side that looked completely hopeless in the first half at Everton and were losing 3-0 at half time –  and they were consecutive league games. :(

So it’s hardly surprising that Alan Pardew is again talking about consistency today:

“It’s very important to be consistent. When you get a defeat like a 6-0 against Liverpool, then you have to really make sure you’re on your mettle. It probably kicks you into gear to make some changes.”

“You have to make sure that there’s a response in the next game, and we managed to get ourselves out of that hole fortunately, but it was a tough day.”

“I’ve also had some good days against Liverpool. My first game was special, and the victory over them the previous season was a sweet one as well. Against a big club like Liverpool, you can’t expect to have it all your own way.”

“Since I’ve been here, I like to think I’ve set teams up to play an attractive style of football and win games on the front foot. At the back end of last year, I thought we got ourselves into a position where it was difficult to set teams up like that because I didn’t think we were carrying enough threat.”

“This year, I don’t think that. I think we carry a lot of threat, and therefore we just need to get the shape of the team and the defending side of things nailed down. If we can do that, we’re going to score goals.”

We do have more attacking prowess with Loic Remy now at the club, and Yohan Cabaye in good form too, so maybe that will make Liverpool a little bit wary of attacking us all out tomorrow, which is basically what they did in the 6-0 hammering we took in April.

It’s an opportunity for every Newcastle player who plays tomorrow to do a couple of things.

One is to make up for that woeful performance when we last met Liverpool, and the other is to show the Newcastle fans that we do indeed have a good team this season.

If we can do those two things there’s a chance we could even take something out of the game, but it will be very tough.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

94 responses so far ↓

• 1 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Transfer, I think that the ball on the floor this year is mainly down to Anita being in there and has played consistently quite well so far, yet Pardew goes against his own gripe with Ben Arfa about being inconsistent and drops Anita.

Also, just because the ball is on the floor it doesn’t mean we’re playing good football. Not at all in fact, it just means that we’re booting the ball in the air less. Apart from a couple of 15 or 20 minutes of decent play and an imoroved second half against Everton, we have still been very poor.

Against Everton they were coasting, so it isn’t hard for us to improve in that second half when the opposition have already thought they’ve won. A great pot shot by Cabaye has got the first goal, just like Ben Arfa’s individual skill for his as was Remy’s plus a couple of finishing rebounds.

Cluelessness is still there in the final third.

He had his strongest team out against Hull and we still lost. The rot just continues for me.

• 2 Belfast // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

He’s talking out of his arse again.

• 3 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

“Since I’ve been here, I like to think I’ve set teams up to play an attractive style of football and win games on the front.”

If that quote there isn’t highlighting the man’s delusions of grandeur, then something is up with the way you interpret football.

• 4 SharpEnough23 // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

We lacked confidence towards the end of last year. People forget we drew 1-1 at anfield the start of last season.

It will be a tough game, but I think we can get something out of it

• 5 Belfast // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I can’t see how we have a far bigger threat this year. When it’s just the same team as last season + Remy.

• 6 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

laurent

personally i dont rate anita that highly, he doesn’t defend any better than average midfielder, his attacking isn’t great, he doesn’t spray 50 yard passes, doesn’t play many killer passes/create chances and he also struggles to run at people…i don’t see what he really does.

I think people do really like him as he does the basics well, but thats what the likes of cabaye and tiote should be doing as well as defending and attacking the way they do. He needs to add more to his game.

I do agree though that we keep the ball on the floor but still play as individuals not a team, which is our main problem.

• 7 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Belfast, yes indeed.

• 8 Black and White with an army lol // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

we will be destroyed by Liverpool, we lost against Hull and struggled against Cardiff to keep hold of the 3 points which we were lucky to do so.

i for 1 don’t look at the points we have but the way we play, first half against Cardiff and second half against Everton is the way we should be playing, attacking and high pressing is the way we should be playing against Liverpool but once we get a goal ( big if ) we will sit back

• 9 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Transfer, he keeps the ball moving and links up play around the pitch. He has fairly quick acceleration and seems agile when getting in front of the man and can nicks in with a nice tackle as well.

If more players around him were coached into playing with better movement and understanding between each other the team would function better and ball retention would improve dramatically.

Ajax product and a Dutch International, I think he can be a valued player if we were clued up around the pitch, but fine if you don’t see the same things.

I thought he’s done well so far this year, but Pardew seems to prefer bigger framed players due to his incapable ability to formulate a effective pass and move strategy.

• 10 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

come on guys , he may set them up to be in the front foot but something is lost in translation with all those foreign player we have , because we seem very defence minded when we are out on the pitch,

this for me is a classic case of Pardews split personality , saying one thing and doing another

also , does anyone else thinks pardew believes what he is saying ? because in my little head , I you believe the crap that come out of his mouth , you know nothing at all about football, for the amour of shit games I have watched over his 3 ( seems like 8) years we have been defensively set up, and even his own coach last year said we concentrate on defending 4 days a week in training

this guy is full of it=sh

• 11 Black and White with an army lol // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Transfer Sage

Anita is an unique player that chases the ball to win it back same goes as Gouffran, Tiote stays in his hole and waits for the opposition to come to him and Cabaye sometimes chases the ball but his tackles are horrendous and could end up on a collection of red cards.

i think this is why us fans favor him most times

• 12 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

*an effective

• 13 Black and White with an army lol // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

catchy in norway

couldn’t put it better myself mate, spot on.

loads of times iv’e heard AP say they are gonna attack from start to finish then suddenly we get a goal then the most stupid play begins an AP special and that’s sitting on 1-0 leads in about the first 20 minutes in the first half

• 14 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

laurent

I do see the good anita does, i like how he moves the ball on quickly and does the simple things well.

My point wasn’t that he is a bad player, just thats the basics of what all good players should have. I think the lad needs to add more to his game, whether he improves defensively or offensively, he has to add more strings to his bow really.

In the same way our other players need to learn to do what anita does, they need to be able to offer for a pass and make the simple passes quickly to keep the game moving.

• 15 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Hilarious headline. How delusional is this prat? Pardew quite often plays 3 x DMs at home! If by some miracle we go ahead it’s 10 men back in their own half for the duration and then we inevitably can’t hold out. There’s no pass and move to relieve the pressure either.

Liverpool are going the right way, assembling a great good to watch team with a manager light years ahead of
    our joke of one.

• 16 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

catchy

I accept a team can’t dominate for 90 mins, even barca dont do it…but you can win both halves by dominating a good 30 mins of each and i think it’s something we never do.

What I think we need to do is just look to play our own game, we do sit back way too much which doesn’t help us at all.

• 17 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Anita would be in my team, he is one if those players that try to keep the game flowing, always makes himself available ,

jonas falls down to much given the other team time to regroup

tiote fouls to much, even though I think it’s his name that gets him noticed more

sissoko can be great , but for the most part he is a headless chicken , if he stayed as a box to box player playing it simple but driving forward like I know he can, he Gould be a great

• 18 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

catchy

I’d play a midfield three of tiote, cabaye and anita…let cabaye get forward more with those two covering.

I don’t think sissoko uses his head and seems to not play as well as he did in the first few games where he ran at the right time but also played good passes.

• 19 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

transfer

a huge problem for me is we don’t concentrate on our strengths in which I think we have many, we concentrate on stopping there strengths :(

then in turn we as fans start looking at our strengths as weaknesses and ask why is he in the team

cabaye , HBA , cisse , all very talented players in there right positions with the right support around them , and on there days can all destroy teams, trouble is there often isolated with no help, football is a team game

an your 100% right , no team dominates for 90, but most teams do get a spell where they do , regardless of who there playing, but us , we have plenty ov possession , but it’s not what I class as domanating football , it’s keep ball do nothing with it

• 20 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

we will get hammered tomorrow :(

• 21 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Catchy

I don’t worry about losing tomorrow, I think even if we dont play well we have players like krul, cisse, ben arfa, remy, cabaye who can save us or win us the game with their own individual brilliance.

Ideally that individual brilliance would be the icing on the cake (the cake being solid team displays with good defending and solid team based goals) but it’s still good to have the icing even without the cake….if any of that made sense.

We all want better but it is what it is currently so have to just try and find the positives and cling to them. I think we can do better and should be getting a better manager but who knows if/when we will.

People might be sick of this fact but jurgen klopp at dortmund gets 1.8mil euro a year…works out around £30k a week….not a huge salary.

If he gets paid that much then surely we could get a very good manager for around 20-40k a week,…..just the wage of an average player…sell obertan and gosling and theres your money for wages.

• 22 Scottiedog // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM

As long as we attack Liverpool from the start we will have a chance for a 2-1 win. Midfield needs to be Anita & Tiote sitting with Cabaye feeding Goufran, Remy & Cisse.

Cisse to get both goals!!

MA to stick both fingers up to the protesters after the win!

• 23 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

transfer

every game should start with a SOLID team performance but sometime we don’t even look like a team out there and normally I’m quite proud of our goals we score , there the highlight of the game

don’t get me wrong they should be , but I’d be very happy if the team tomorrow has a go , draws or even looses but the players walk off knowing they gave there all, the 4-3 v Man U is the only game I can say I was proud of them under pardew , we played as a team and had a go, and that for me is a sad fact

• 24 Sav // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Season is only young and we are mid-table. Pardew’s job in insulating the squad from all the upstairs shenanigans at NUFC should not be underestimated. Apart from watching his own back, he’s making a player finally out of Hatem, has kept Colo and Cabaye on board with minimum fuss and is dealing with a largely foreign squad with no help from above. Lets give the man a bit of credit. None of the team has a bad word to say about him. And lets not capitulate before a ball is kicked tomorrow. HTL!

• 25 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

an I say for the protest tomorrow , good luck I think it’s the right thing, but please don’t scream and shout or get violent try and smash up anything

let it be remembered for the right reasons 😉

• 26 Maladoni 69 // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

TS @ 16.

Completely agree. I can’t remember a game when we actually bossed both halfs. I’m going all the way back to the opener against Spurs last season when was pretty poor in the second half. I can accept games away when we dominate first half but are pegged back in the second but at home we should be beasting teams for the majority of the game.

• 27 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM

sav

how many players had a bad word to say about JFK ? none saylor raved about him even ,
    his job isn’t to try and keep players , it’s about getting them playing affectively as a team , a unit, this he is failing at

• 28 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

catchy

I am proud of more games than that…the 2-0 at home to liverpool stands out for me….and the 4-4 draw with arsenal was a great comeback.

I do agree that we don’t do the team performance, too many games we look like 11 individuals who train separately….I just think that has never improved under pardew.

Some aspects get better, like we have better players, keep the ball on the deck more but the team play has stayed consistently non existent.

• 29 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

maladoni

I dont expect us to dominate all home games but like i said above…we should be able to look at games against sides like hull, cardiff, etc and be able to dominate the majority of those games.

I wouldn’t say it will happen every time we play lesser sides but it should be the norm not the exception.

• 30 Maladoni 69 // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I think we’ll get spanked tomorrow but I’ve still put £10 on for 5-0. 500-1.

• 31 wolfshead@toon // Oct 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

the haters are out in force again predicting doom not to difficult given the difference in class of the teams but hey if you dont like the manager lump all the blame on him same old record playing again haha

• 32 lesh // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I worry that we seem to ever hearing Pardew bugging up the so-called big clubs and I’m not sure that’s going to do our players’ confidence any good.

What’s the adage? Say something often enough and people will believe it and adopt a ‘why bother’ attitude.

Come off it Mr P, I’d rather you stopped commenting on the opposition but praise you’re players’ abilities and boost their confidence!

• 33 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM

wolfshead

well I personally think pardew is the weakest link in the team at the moment…and i think we can do better.

do i back the lads during the 90 minutes they are on the pitch, sure i do…give them nothing but support. Dont see how discussing things here should make a difference.

• 34 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM

lesh

what worries me is the interview above…if pardew is saying that to boost confidence, etc then it’s fine with me.

If he genuinely believes it then he cannot see the problem and it explains why our team work/play hasn’t improved.

• 35 lesh // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

wolfie

It’s so disappointing that there are so many sheep that find it easier to criticise Pardew.

Ok, he may not be in the same league as Mourinho et al but we don’t seem to hear constant criticism of Hughton for example who like other managers hasn’t exactly set the world on fire. Have we got more sheep in our little fraternity?

The only words of caution for the sheep is be careful what you wish for.

Don’t forget that Ashley got rid if Allardyce because the fans didn’t like him.

But if he hears a groundswell of discontent and get rid of Pardew and there’s one thing for sure – there’ll be no Keegan or other fans’ favourite brought in to replace him!

Caveat emptor.

• 36 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

lesh

But there are so many better managers out there…look at who southampton got, pochettino..he has them playing well but also solid at the back, swansea got laudrupp, west brom play some decent stuff under steve clarke..there are plenty ‘lesser clubs’ who attract better managers.

Nobody is asking for a mourinho, a wenger, a guardiola….but just a manager who suits the players we seem to look to keep bringing in.

I don’t see how not liking the manager makes you a sheep…just because a lot have that opinion doesn’t mean they blindly follow each other, just means they all don’t like him.

• 37 Belfast // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I’m no sheep lesh, I’m a wild cat…

• 38 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

lesh

i do get the concern that ashley will just appoint JFK or some other idiot though…but that doesn’t mean we should stick with a manager who isn’t doing well enough.

• 39 wolfshead@toon // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

lesh/sage

pards is an an average manager but so is the team overseen by an owner who has set aside a limited budget blaming pards for all the ills is annoying/depressing/and unrealistic the haters always come out before a game we are likely to lose or after a game we should have won but when we have a good result do they offer any praise? or take some delight from it? nope the ones that do come out try and take the shine off it sad very sad

• 40 lesh // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Sage.

Its words such as ‘Against a BIG club like Liverpool’ that worry me.

He needs to be focusing on getting the lads to regard Newcastle United a the biggest and best club they ever have or will play for.

Getting them to think that way and they’ll believe in themselves and the club. It’s worked before and there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work again.

But the message needs to be delivered by a third party, a sports psychologist, along with Pardew.

• 41 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

wolfs

I think i give a fair amount of credit and blame to pardew. He doesn’t have the best owner above him but outside of liverpool, arsenal, man utd, man city, chelsea, spurs and possibly everton can you say there is a better team/squad in the league? I personally don’t think there is.

I just don’t think Pardew is a very good manager, like you say average…but average playing old school football…he isn’t average playing a passing/dynamic game with technical players like we have now.

Pochettino at southampton is an average modern manager and thats all i ask for.

If we lose this weekend it’d not down to pardew, liverpool are just a better side.

• 42 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Lesh

Sick of this careful what you wish for b…..ks. So you keep someone clearly out of his depth and settle for mediocrity just in case someone else may be even worse. I would call that far more being a sheep.

What a rubbish way to go on. Someone keeping a job by default and out of fear that may never materialise.

It doesn’t really get much worse than the surrenders at home to Liverpool, Sunderland, Reading, Hull and Everton away etc, etc.

Yes I have no faith in Ash to get a proper manager in
    but even he must now realise the people he trusts in football have given him rubbish advice over the last 6 years.

• 43 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM

lesh

Sports psychology isn’t needed, telling them we are the biggest club wont work…players know we aren’t the biggest club, especially when they are international level.

What they do need to know is that newcastle is a club where the fans expect you to put in 100% and compete in every game, even if you lose you have to come off that pitch with nothing left to give.

• 44 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Also sick of people saying Pardew hasn’t been given money. No we haven’t bought trophy players but how many teams have Remy, Cisse and Ben Arfa in their front 3?

No we didn’t buy in the summer but 6 players didn’t just magically appear in January and Remy now. Anita, Marveaux and others don’t get starts so aren’t we over doing the sympathy on lack of spending just a tad?

• 45 lesh // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Sage, take your point about Southampton, Swansea etc but those guys have brought different approaches to coaching to their clubs and persuaded those clubs’ owners to spend on players. Now there arise some conflicts with Ashley’s aims for the club – a point you’re concerned about Wolfie.

• 46 wolfshead@toon // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

rotonda

you proved my point about pards haters you always bring up the defeats lets say tomorrow we win! or get a hard earned draw will you come on here and be happy about it or make excuses about why liverpool failed

• 47 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

rotonda

You could argue that we have a decent squad but we have been leaving the manager short of options over the last couple years, got a solid and settled squad now.

Then also you could say he doesn’t get the type of player he wants, big centre forward, commanding CB in the air etc…but he still has good players.

Just to throw it out there, i think he should adapt his style to the team…surely you can learn modern methods…you can’t teach a player to grow 6 inches.

• 48 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM

wolf

Absolute rubbish. When we won 6 on the spin playing 433 in that one good season there was loads of praise, similarly when we had 15 good mins against Fulham but that one good season seems an awful long time ago now and we have gone backwards and witnessed an awful lot of extremely poor negative football.

A blind man can see we are on the road to nowhere with pardew. Only mid – lower table mediocrity awaits with his continued employment.

As sage said Pochettino is not top drawer but he is modern, progressive and can work with technical players. Pardew can’t.

• 49 lesh // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Rotonda heights @42

It’s well known now that Ashley’d only appoint someone he trusts so if Pards were to go, who would Ashley turn to?

• 50 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM

lesh

yeh they have spent a bit more than us in this window, but we spent more than them in january though…so although i’d like us spending a bit more (or at least bringing in more players even loan/free) they still dont have better squads than us i dont think.

Ashley buys technical players (maybe he likes that style or maybe they are cheap imports) but he should then hire a manager who will get the best out of that type of player.

I think swansea are an example, they spend a limited amount (although a big increase this summer) but have over the past 10 years decided on the style of football they want and hired only managers who play in a similar style so they can always keep consistency even if they manager or players leave.

• 51 stan anderson // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM

@39 when was our last good result?.
    Chelsea was the last good result for me.
    Not wins against Fulham or Villa
    ,,we should be beating these teams on a regular basis man.

• 52 lesh // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Sage. Take a wider view.

If players come off the pitch with nothing left to give, what’s driven them to give their all?

Could it be a belief in what they’re doing and why they’re doing it?

• 53 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Good posts as usual, Rotonda.

• 54 wolfshead@toon // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

rotonda

pochettino has also been given virtual carte blanche to buy players he wants pards has to work with players that have been brought in by assley i.e cheap imports

• 55 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Wolf

You always talk after every defeat or poor performance like it was a one off. We didn’t come 16th and continue in the same vein this season for nothing.

It is mainly just defeats to talk about. There is no consistent success with Pardew and never has been throughout his whole career.

In fact his overall win percentage is dire which is mainly why we seem to have this discussion most weeks. Pardew is always found out, sometimes more quickly than others at most of his clubs.

Pardew’s English workaday players he craves will only ever achieve mid- lower table at best.

• 56 lesh // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Laurent Robert 32 @53……..

‘Good posts as usual, Rotonda’.

Now, what were we saying about sheep?

• 57 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Lesh, it’s glaring right at you.

If they’re coming off the pitch giving all they have given, and still look clueless, then the tactical blundering of Pardew has failed once again.

It is the manager and coach who must shape the team. In one way or another, the buck stops with them. As we have a team full of more than capable players, the buck most definitely stops with Pardew, and further still with Ashley as he thinks it’s a good idea to have incapable management running the club.

The good players which we do have stem from Carr and even then on bargain basement prices.

• 58 wolfshead@toon // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM

rotonda

i could say 5th the season before last but im sure you would find an explanation as to how that was achieved without any input from the manager

• 59 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Lesh

Wow someone has the same point of view and they’re a sheep !

• 60 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

lesh

Yeh but the players aren’t idiots, no matter what the manager, owner, psychologist, etc says to them they will not think newcastle is the best club in the world.#

I think a player who is striving for more like a move to man utd, chelsea, madrid…is better for the club as they know they need to maintain a consistently high level if they ever want to get there, which only benefits us.

• 61 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Lesh, thousands who have a similar view aren’t sheep.

If I flip a coin and it lands on heads and 20 people at the front says it is heads, then they are just describing what is in view, like we are doing. The people further back without a good view may say tails because they can’t see well enough.

We have a similar view for no other reason that we can see what Pardew’s limitations are, as can most who can read the patterns of the game.

The real sheep are the ones sucked in by the lies the management comes out with without seeing through the blatant misdirection they come out with.

The above statement by Pardew is a blatant example.

• 62 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

my reasons for getting rid of pardew are nothing to do with him personally or even his ability, its his style.

The style he plays and methods he seems to use do not get the best out of the squad. Ashley is buying all technical continental players therefore it makes sense to get a technical manager who is best suited.

if we only buy cheap players and get 1 or 2 a year then we need to make sure we get the best possible manager to suit them and get the best out of them.

• 63 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Wolf

Typical one good season mentality every time excuse and the ridiculous expectation that would be repeated once Pardew got found out yet again as he has been at nearly all of his clubs.

Roeder got us Europe 1 year. was he good enough for an 8 year contract?? Well was he?

Could that one good season have been the perfect storm of poor Raylor getting injured and Obertan (Pardew’s buy) being ineffective, thus allowing Ben Arfa to finally, finally get a game in a had to be re-jigged 433, coupled with individual moments of brilliance from Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa, not to mention outrageous fortune with refereeing decisions.

Even then Pardew bottled CL by reverting to 442 in the last few games because of 1 defeat at Wigan!!

• 64 low fell mag // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, and hopefully we get the right .
    We have the players to do it on there day, lets hope the manager allows the players to go for it.
    Forget all this nonsense about Ashley, for all the daft lunatics out there Nobody and I mean Nobody wants to buy our club.
    Instead clowns like JFA and the stupid Irish bloke who comes on here bleating on about Ashley should actually try and go to a game at ST James Park (instead of the local boozer @the 50 inch plasma ) and give support to the lads .
    Back to the football,its down to Pardew.
    Defend ,6 nil to Liverpool.
    Attack ,two,s a piece

• 65 wolfshead@toon // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

sage

i agree but our players arent all that do you ever wonder how we get them cheap when the top prem teams who have scouting networks worldwide (not just one bloke travelling round france) dont swoop in for our targets?

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

From NUFC.com
    #Time4Change:
    Marching season

Toon fans unhappy with what they rightly see as a lack of ambition expressed through words and deeds of the current regime are taking to the streets of Newcastle on Saturday morning in a protest march.

This has police and city council clearance and sets off from Northumberland Road by the City Hall at 10.30am. Routed past SJP, marchers plan to assemble at the Leazes Park bandstand to hear some speeches before dispersing ahead of kick-off.

Organised by the Time4Change fan group, the march has received backing from a wide cross-section of fanzines, websites and other supporter organisations, but needs support of rank and file fans, reinforcing the message of widespread discontent and the will for positive change.

To that end, the organisers have distanced themselves from the abuse and negativity that characterized the protests following Kevin Keegan’s departure in 2008.

In their own words, the aim is for “a good humoured protest march attended by caring, sensible fans who want to express their hope in a brighter future.

“We not only want to call time on the Ashley regime but make it known to the wider football world that we want responsible ownership where the fanbase can be respected and consulted.

“We can only do that by behaving responsibly and by policing ourselves so that others can see we are worth investing in.

“If you’re happy with the way the club is being run, managed and funded then stay at home and don’t march; if you are not happy, show you want better and march.”

We’ve played no part in the organisation of the march but share the frustrations of those who have – and are happy to suspend our cynicism, publicise it and encourage as many people as possible to turn out and show that Newcastle fans can be united. See you there.

• 67 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Wolf

pochettino gets average players playing well. yes money now but not so much last season.

Pardew would have messi tracking back or out on the wing.

the guy is a clueless. How many matches do you have to watch to be convinced. what do you think he’s constantly writing in his notebook

• 68 Jail for Ashley // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Low full meg,
    I understand you were in the military and judging by the quality of your posts I suspect you weren’t at Sandhurst, so basically you grew up taking orders in an enviroment where thinking for your self was not only frowned upon but seen as a weakness, if somebody told you to dig a ditch six foot deep then fill it back up as soon as you finished, who are you to question, I think you have brought this way of thinking with you into civillian life.

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Btw Low full meg,
    I was at Everton a few weeks ago.

• 70 low fell mag // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

JFA if your unsure as to where ST James park is ,give me a shout and ill give you the directions.

• 71 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

wlolf

funny when we came 5th everyone was saying how shrewd our signings were and Carr was a genius . Now it’s they’re cheap foreign imports !!

Remy once valued at 20m
    Sissoko once valued at 22M
    M’Biwa once valued at 13.5M
    etc etc.

Yes not trophy signings but outside the top 6 who in all honesty has a stronger squad?

• 72 wolfshead@toon // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM

@67/70

lmao see you can have fun on here laters :-)

• 73 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Low Fell, Jail works away as do other toon fans, so that is rather unfair.

Also, people have the right not to give Ashley any more money for in return being given poor management and ambition.

• 74 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

He is probably one of the only managers I know who confuses 4-5-1 with a 4-3-3!

…maybe that is why he confuses Benny with a fullback or wingback as times 😉 lol

• 75 tequilamag // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Benny has never played FB or wingback for us.
    Did you really just lol while you were typing that.

• 76 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Pardew – “I like to think I have set the team up to play an attractive style of football ”

Stats – We played the most long balls in the PL last season .

I give up, I really do :(

• 77 boater // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

My midnight epiphany –

Team for Liverpool:

krul
    debuchy-williamson-m’biwa
    gouffran-tiote-sammi a
    cabaye
    ben arfa-cisse-remy

Match Liverpool’s 3 at the back (and compensate for the absence of Colo) Gouffran and Sammi have the legs to run the flanks in wingback roles, which allows the front 3 to keep liverpool on the back foot.

This team sheet is genius.

• 78 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Big Pappa, it’s unbelievable what he comes out with isn’t it.

• 79 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM

He sure as hell doesn’t play as a forward either!

…does lol mean something else where you are from! It is not my fault you never see the irony in what happens around you when it comes to our club.

• 80 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM

boater

gouff and sammy as wingbacks? we’d be ripped apart

• 81 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

jesper

benny plays consistently from the right wing, doesn’t have to get back to often (or if he has to he doesn’t) and he offers little in the way on consistent performances (for us or any of his previous clubs)

Natural talent in abundance but no consistency.

• 82 tequilamag // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Jesp, of course he plays as a forward. A forward that is lazy when he is not on the ball but a forward all the same.

• 83 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

and TS are we not gettin ripped apart more often than not?

…we are team that hoof the ball the most and we don’t more than one or two players in and around the box when going forward!

Still we are leaking like bad piping!

• 84 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

jesper

true…but do you think gouff and sammy as wingbacks would make us more or less likely to concede? I personally think more.

and that is true last year but this years stats show us playing a lot more on the ground, we play less long balls than 10/12 other teams according to this seasons stats.

• 85 Ciaran // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Nufcfansutd.com

“Supporting a football club should be easy. You watch football on a match day and then spend the rest of the week in the build up to the following game going about your normal business. But here it isn’t. That’s because for the remaining 6 days of the week we analyse, question, pontificate and generally continuing to be absorbed by and caught up in the maelstrom that is Newcastle United Football Club.

Every word draws you in. Every decision seems to affect you. On match day you wake up tense; you head to the ground gripped by a mix of hope and apprehension. You kick and head every ball. A win brings out emotions that you would normally share only with an immediate family member (usually your husband or wife); defeat can deflate you to a point of despair.

It is little wonder therefore that events off the pitch impact upon supporters as much as those on the pitch. They are intrinsically linked. Why? Because as supporters we care that’s why. And that’s why, when events spiral in a manner that makes no sense, supporters see the need to call for change. For many, that point was reached this summer and they believe the time for that change is now.

Those calling for change are normal rank and file supporters. Decent, hard working, honest people. Supporters taking action born out of frustration for what has gone on in the past and as their poster says, they’re marching for ambition.

This is why we support #Time4Change”

• 86 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Tequila…you and I do watch alot of different football that’s for sure!

…we do seem to support the same team though!

TS…I like to judge Benny and all our other players on their performance for us…inconsistency seems to be a problem all around, but I do seeø to remember Benny being on of the players getting the most MOM on this blog?

• 87 BuckLuck // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I expect nothing more than a hard working team that plays it on the deck tomorrow. There are several reasons for Liverpool to outplay us again.

They have a better manager
    They have better players
    They have a better owner
    They’ve got stability

Only one way we can win tomorrow… We need Liverpool to have a of a day off. It’s as simple as that. And i’m pertfectly fine with it… That’s how low Ashley/Pardew has got my expectations, and that’s just wrong.

• 88 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

jesper

because benny can win a game in a minute on his own, and he has done for us…the problem is the other 89 minutes where he doesn’t always (but sometimes does) pull his weight.

My point on benny is that he has never had consistency before us so his lack of consistency now is more likely down to him than anything else as it’d a problem he has had at all levels and stages of his career.

I do think as a team we dont get consistent play often enough, and that can be linked to the club…but benny has never been consistent.

• 89 tequilamag // Oct 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Jesp nobody doubts Bennys ability. Sadly for me a career scoring record of 1 in 6 is a poor return for that ability. If he was capable of scoring 20 a season then I would possibly have more sympathy for your position that Benny should not be expected to help in defence . Rob Lee played for years in the same position as Benny and whilst never having the same ability scored more and gave more in terms of overall teamwork.
    We both want Newcastle to be a success but looks like we are unlikely to find much common ground on how that will be achieved.

• 90 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

buckluck

We still have match winners though…krul can save us goals, cisse/ben arfa can score some rediculous goals, remy seems to be on a good run…cabaye has a decent free kick….we can still win even if they play well.

Our problem is not doing the extraordinary (what most teams can’t do with our individual brilliance) but doing the ordinary and playing as a solid unit.

• 91 BuckLuck // Oct 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

TS

That’s true. We have three or four players that can do wonders. I really hope tomorrow is the day they all shine, but I think the probability of that happening would increase if we had a better manager.

As you say. We lack stability as a unit.
    Balance the team in a 433 should make us hard to beat with the players we have. I don’t think Pardew is capable of it though.

Good luck tomorrow lads! May Benny shine, Krul stop, Cabaye lead and Remy score.

• 92 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM

there was no suarez last season. and yet it was 6-0.

i think this time round its gonna be 5-1 to liverpool. sorry.

• 93 wolfshead@toon // Oct 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

buck

its funny you say the players we have and then highlight the only ones that are above average

• 94 John Tudor // Oct 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

and lovers think everything is ship shape and bristol fashion
    dont make me laugh

previous post: This Player Is Newcastle’s Bargain Signing Of The Year

next post: Some Surprise Selections For Newcastle Against Liverpool?