Who Was Our Best Player In Courageous 2-2 Draw Against Reds?

Newcastle gained a great fighting point at St. James’ Park this afternoon, and after going ahead with a brilliant Yohan Cabaye special,  Yanga-Mbiwa was sent off just before half time for bringing down Luis Suarez in the penalty box, and Steven Gerrard scored his 100th Premier League goal for Liverpool.

Newcastle United v Liverpool - Barclays Premier League

Yohan Cabaye – scoring Newcastle;’s first goal

So it was 1-1 at the half but Newcastle amazingly went ahead after 56 minutes with a first goal from Paul Dummett, from a Yohan Cabaye cross – but then Suarez crossed for Sturridge to equaLise after 72 minutes – and even the referee tried to give Liverpool the victory by playing six and a half minutes of added time – even there were only supposed to be four minutes – who said referees don’t favor the big clubs?

But this was a brave performance by this Newcastle side and the arrival of local lad Paul Dummett at Newcastle.

Let us know who you think was Newcastle’s best player today.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• AMEOBI

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM

CAPTAIN TIOTE!

• 89Norcal

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Tiote was just excellent

• Jamiemac

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Pardew got the tactics wrong?

catchy you do make me laugh

hahahahahaha

• ilovetoon8788

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Tiote for me. Immense.

and Gouffran the unsung hero. his workrate down their left hand side was brilliant.

• toonking

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

repost
    norcal

I suppose their has got to be one who will be stay on when he knows he is not getting what he wants.

catchy your brave, pardew bash.

why not do what rotanda ruddy JT and most other basher have, just leave the blog knowing that you are going to get ganged upon.

• Spellcheck

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

catchy is clearly a Mackem!!!!!!!! 😉

• NUFCarter

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

It must be the first game that pardew hasnt beem slated and rightfully so. Dummett my MOTM. Great defending, great finish and hes a geordie.

• NUFCarter

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Oh wait is he Welsh..

• lochinvar

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Didnt see the game but should Gerrard have had second yellow for professional foul considering how many other yellows were handed out ?

• 89Norcal

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

The only issue with our tactics was hatem, but even when he got the ball he did his infamous lingering and hesitating that he does every other match it seems.

• Ginger

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Whilst I would have took a draw at the start of the match, it was really disappointing to not get the 3 points today.

Excellent performance though by the lads. Stevie G shouldn’t have even been on the pitch. Pure lack of consistency by the ref.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

All things considered that was a fantastic point today!

All the players played like they had a point to prove and for me we matched pool all over the pitch!
    As I wanted too see Debuchy and Cabaye both had much improved games, they were fantastic, and what a goal from cabs!

Goofy, remy, HBA all worked hard up front and if I’m honest I actually think we DESERVED all 3 points

So happy for dummet, this lad is special, I’ve been saying this since the Brighton game last season and it’s great to see him rewarded with a goal, although santoon has upped the stakes by putting in a fantastic display today

And lastly full credit to pardew! He has his critics and tbf his limitations but let’s be honest he got it spot on today!

Been along time since I’ve felt proud of the lads after a game but definitely feeling it today

• NUFCarter

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

The first one wasnt a yellow whereas the second one was. In my opinion it wasnt a red

• Mister Tuff

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Mr. T -clearly MOM toady -Michael Owen chose Gerrard -what a biased runt.

• bills-son

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Where are the ‘Pardew only plays defensive hoofball’ merchants?

If Mbiwa had of stayed on I reckon we could have won two or three nowt.

Tiote, Goofy, Debuchy and Krul brilliant today and every player gave his all.

• 89Norcal

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Toonking

Catchy is one of the handful of users on this blog that are here purely for entertainment purposes. I stopped taking him seriously long ago.

Like always, he was adamant we would lose badly today.

• askar

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM

TIOTE!

• theartfuldodger

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

If we start now , we can have a CB in 2 yrs.
    1 yr to haggle and purchase and 1 yr to get used to the league.

Players (game) and fans (march) with plenty of heart.

P.S. Pardew emulating barcelona eh ? No striker almost.

• santonthenewmaldini

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Was raging at Mbiwa for getting sent off because we were in control at that time I think we probably would have won 2 nil or 2 – 1 if he had not got sent off

Santon and Debuchy come in for some stick but they were great today

I have been a very harsh critic of Tiote in the past because he has been shite for ages but today he was a beast which allowed Cabaye to not have to worry about him and it made him play well as well

I quite like the idea of Arfa up front but the other players need to bomb forward when he has the ball could work long term because Cisse is off the boil I worry about Sissoko though he just does not look comfortable as a no 10 and does not get into the game at all before he got taken off

Special mention to Williamson he was solid again maybe it will be him and Dummett at the back against the Mackems?Cause we have no one else really!!

• NUFCarter

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Hopefully Gateshead can get promoted this season, im keeping a close eye. We can send alot of our youngsters there if they get to league 2.

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

who voted mbiwa lol

• Tayls

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I think Pardew outwitted Brenden Rodgers with the started line ups, He did take a risk in playing HBA in the Messi false 9 position and its true Hatem couldn’t emulate Lio but ultimately the shape of the team made it difficult for Liverpool and we have ended up with a result.

Dummet has potential and played a big part in our win after the MYM mistake but Tiote looked like the Tiote of old and was a bit of a beast and gets my MOTM.

• Spellcheck

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Catchy is clearly one very very lonely knob heeeeeeed!!!!! HWTL

• toonking

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM

norcal
    HBA i’m thinking could be better as a sub. people say they want him to be used as a number 10 but TBH I think myself pardew already has a player in that role cabaye which I think is good last year cabaye was very deep but since being restored to a more number 10 role he has looked a lot more like the cabaye of 2011/12

• the bloody geordie

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM

it is so difficult for any team, big or small, to compete when you’re playing 10 against 12….that’s my opinion of the match….man on man we were far better…

• Benji84

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM

guys do you think this is the turning point for our season????

• askar

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM

TIOTE IS BACK 🙂

• Ancientcoptic

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Remy was one on one with Aly Cissokho late on in the game, if Ben Arfa was still up there, we may have snatched that game.

I must be the only one that hopes Pardew sticks with the team as it is.

Anyways, Dummet gets MOTM for me – a debut like that is quite special. Tiote was a class act, no doubt. I think Tiote works better when he is given his own zone, and told to bully it, instead of getting congested playing with Anita.

• 89Norcal

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Interesting bit is I believe a vast majority of goals have come from the wings or midfield, so keeping rent and gouffran in their wide areas wasnt the WORST idea. And remember hatem defends poorly on the wings whereas rent/fluff did well most the game

• Ted Bundy

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I’d pick Tiote if he didn’t make some critical mistakes, like giving the ball away on the edge of our box, leading to their first real chance, then moments later playing Suarez onside sparking the penalty incident. Should have played either Remy or HBA in too, when we had a 3 on 2 after he stole the ball of Moses, an element of his game he rectified back to something like his best, today. Much improved but just needs to stop having his brain farts.

Gouffran for me, he sets the tone with his indefatigable hunting of the ball and plugging of the gaps and was always a thorn in their side and wise in possession.

• MosesNUFC

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Fantastic result there lads, pardew almost masterminded us to a win there. Captain tiote i salute you.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Reports on the march say there were a few hundred and pictures just show a bunch of teenagers. It doesn’t seem to have gained much attention…

Decent result though, shame the red card cost us a good chance for a win.

• 89Norcal

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Ya so Rent=Remy and Fluff=Gouffran lmao

• Belfast

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Debuchy.
    Best I’ve seen him play.

• Slank

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

The whole team played really well especially in the second half when they could have been overwhelmed but they remained firm and resolute.

I voted for Tiote but Cabaye was just as good. Their pairing seems to be back to their very best. The much maligned Williamson silenced all his detractors yet again. Our two full backs played well, especially Debuchy who rarely, if ever, shirks a challenge. Ben Arfa faded in the second half but not Goofy who seems to have a great engine. Sissoko was soso. Remy worked really hard.

What to do about Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa? He was fine up to the sending off. How much time does he need to adjust to the Premiership I don’t know. In total contrast I was yet again very impressed with Dummitt. Excellent player.

• 89Norcal

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Well nvm that auto corrected post didnt even post

• toonking

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

santon
    could colo be missing for a while?

• Ancientcoptic

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Correction, It was not Dummet’s debut, but I stand by my selection.

• Ted Bundy

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

And I’m not convinced that HBA was as anonymous as made out. The reason we dominate for the first 40, was because for once, we had a centre forward who could hold the ball, move intelligently and link things up. A team role to the detriment of his usual dazzling skills.

• Benji84

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM

what was rodgers post comments anyone seen them ?