Dreams Can Come True – I Didn’t Know Where To Run!

It’s not surprising that the local press today is full of news about Paul Dummett, who came on after Yanga-Mbiwa had been sent off after 41 minutes, and Moussa Sissoko was the unlucky player that Paul replaced.

paul dummet scores Liverpool

Paul Dummett after scoring on Saturday

And the 22 year-old showed he’s a very decent center-back and looked solid enough when our backs were against the wall in that second half, and especially in those last 20 minutes, after Daniel Sturridge had equalized for Liverpool, and the visitors squandered at least three decent chances to win the game.

Dummett has talked about the goal and the game today:

“I have to give credit to Mike Williamson.”  “He was the one who sent me round the back, and he should claim an assist for that goal! It was a good finish though, and I’m happy.”

“When I scored I didn’t know where to run. All of the fans came running down the Gallowgate End – it was crazy. It’s something I’ve never experienced before and might never again.”

“You have to cherish these moments. I’d scored two for St Mirren, but nothing is like scoring in front of 50,000 Geordie fans.”  “That’s something I’ve dreamt of all my career.”

“I actually dreamt about scoring the night before, so this really is a dream come true. Maybe I should dream about it more often!”  “Hopefully, I’ll score more that way. To score, and get one at the Gallowgate End, just makes it even better.”

“I was desperate to get on and play a part, but nervous at the same time.” “To play against Daniel Sturridge and Suarez at centre back, which isn’t my normal position, was nerve racking for me.”

It’s always good to see a local lad come through the ranks,  and it’s been too long since that has happened,  and of course we also have Sammy Ameobi in the wings, and the 21 year-old came on late in the second half.

Dreams can come true at Newcastle.

Next up is Sunderland,  but we have a feeling that game us going to be a very tough one, and will test the professionalism of this Newcastle side.

Joey Bradfield is a reader who’s attending Sante Fe College in Gainesville, Florida studying Psychology and for part of his work he has created a short questionnaire, which will take just a few minutes to complete. Please take the survey here. Thanks.

• JAMSHA

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM

good sub by pardew.. sissko needs to be droped for anita now

• stuart no9

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

i was pleased to see sissoko come off – he was having an absolute mare, must admit i had my doubts about dummet- havnt now , he could go on to become a ‘great ‘ here- if he stays ?

• ballerfan2

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Did anyone else feel that irritation at the end of MotD last night when they put together a collage of goals scored by young English players over the weekend, naturally ignoring the contribution by our own youngster. Despite his Welsh qualification he is a proper English lad.

• ballerfan2

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I would also add to Graeme’s words from last night. Let’s not build the lad up and then at the first signs of lack of form start pulling him and his confidence apart. Oh we’re so good at that. Stuart no9 unintentionally I’m sure epitomises that with his earlier comment about having doubts about the lad. Based on what I ask? He has performed pretty well on each appearance from what I’ve seen. Could it be because he is one of our own youngsters who have been getting a hard time en masse recently. We really must start supporting these guys and not get on their backs or write them off if they make a mistake.

• Topp_Dawg

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Dare I admit it, I am beginning to warm up to Pardew once again! He seems to have become much bolder in his selections and withdrawals – dropping players that are not performing, timing and types of substitutions. Even his tactics and gameplay are showing an improvement. We may very well be pleasantly surprised to find that giving a manager time, patience and a vote of confidence may well benefit us in the long run. Granted it takes some managers longer than others to learn how to get the best out of his squad…but evidence, to me at least, suggest Pardew is learning and heeding advice!

• stuart no9

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM

ballerfan— the reason for my comment about dummett was because ,against liverpool was the first time i have actually made a point of studying his play- his work rate , and his technical ability, where as in other games i did not sit up and take notice, as i should have done maybe.

• ballerfan2

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Stuart – my comment wasn’t intended as a personal criticism, but as a possible example of the lack of patience often shown by so many of our fans. In fact your post suggests that you indeed have an open mind unlike a good number who have developed opinions on our players/manager and are not about to change them, no matter what. A case in point is the deafening silence from those who would have been all over this blog had we capitulated on Saturday.

• stuart no9

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

ballerfan—no probs , i didnt think it was a personal attack- i do think dummett caught me a bit by surprise.