Newcastle Youngster To Get His Just Reward

Alan Pardew has talked today about Paul Dummett and has come out and said theta he wants Paul to be given a new deal by Newcastle, so we suppose that now goes to Director of Football Joe Kinnear to get a new contract agreed with Paul and his representatives.

paul dummett scoring Liverpool

Paul Dummett after scoring against Liverpool

Paul and Conor Newton signed one year deals in the summer, after their very successful St. Mirren loan spells last season, but Paul was so outstanding in pre-season that he was kept in the first team squad, and it’s likely he will get quite a few games this season in the Newcastle first team.

The Chronicle is reporting today that Newcastle and Dummett are  keen to get an extended deal signed – so maybe Paul can get a two or three year deal.

And since we have been trying to get better in our set plays, here’s a defender who can score goals, so he would presumably be dangerous from corners and the like if he’s in the side – and he took his chance beautifully.

Unfortunately Paul’s Dad was not at the game, and he missed the experience of his son not only playing well, but also getting his first goal for Newcastle.

This is what Paul said today:

“My dad missed the goal because he was on a plane.” “My phone was going mad after the game.”

“He didn’t see the game because he was in Portugal and landed in Newcastle at 2.30pm.” “So he got a shock afterwards.” “But he was buzzing.”

We hope Paul gets a three-year deal, and that we hear about the signing in the next week or two, and there shouldn’t be any complexities in getting the 22 year-old signed up at his home town club.

Note – Joey Bradfield is a reader who’s attending Sante Fe College in Gainesville, Florida studying Psychology, and for part of his studies he has created a short questionnaire, which will take just a few minutes to complete. Please take the survey here. Thanks.

• John Tudor

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

woucher

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Ibiza

The likes of Saints and Swansea could potentially overachieve and finish in the top 8 but their squads are thinner than ours and they don’t have as many players of top quality as us. Saying that, the same would be said for Chelsea and Liverpool compared to us in 2011-12 and we beat both of them to take 5th place…

I think we should consider that 8th place will be a good job. Not exceptional but job done as far as I’m concerned.

We definitely have more strength in depth and hopefully we can get more out of the likes of Ben Arfa and Cisse as the season goes on.

Signings in January would be good but I think we’ll only sign someone if we need to (i.e. a serious injury) or if the deal is good. Saying that, I think Ashley has got a taste for being able to do good deals in January so maybe this is the plan. One nice thing about January is that we have had time to assess the squad and how well they are playing together.

• G

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Top 8 is a realistic, if unambitious target. To be honest, the clubs remit seems to consist of mid table mediocrity at the minute, so if we can exceed that, and maybe have at least 1 decent cup run, then I suppose that’s objective achieved. I still feel with a different regime we would be pushing higher with the squad we have though.

• G

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Back to the headline Dummett looked up for the fight, and played well when he came on. Looks like the lad is starting to claim for a first team spot. Lets just hope he’s not a flash in the pan.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM

TDS….I was just looking at the table, after I made comment about “by the skin of out teeth”.

I’d relatively happily say that the following teams will be / should be in the top 8 come season end.

Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Man U.

The 8th spot is there, but as you say Saints and Swansea are our danger teams.

Considering investment made and those teams listed, I’d say 8th is a bloody good achievement. Anything over that would surely be over exceeding? With the exception of maybe Everton?!?

January will as always be interesting. I agree with your assessment that players will arrive if we’re in trouble or if there is a deal to be had.

• Ciaran

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Repost

Top 8 candidates on the back of one decent performance seems to be pushing it a little bit (a big bit).

I don’t want to dampen expectations as I whole heartedly think that top 8 is where we should be aiming for, but I think we need to consider that 1 or 2 players over-performed at the weekend, whilst it nice to see that, we cannot rely on that every week.

We have been relatively fortunate on the injury front so far this season, with fringe players being the only people to miss significant game time. Coloccini wasn’t necessarily missed on Saturday, but I feel much more confident with him in the side.

I fully expect us to win the upcoming derby, whilst there are no guarantees in derbies, the fact they embarrassed us at SJP last season, coupled with the fact that they are utter gash this season means that nothing but 3 points are acceptable. A defeat would suck the momentum from this good performance on Saturday, but if Pardew can maintain it then we go into a series of tough games in a decent position.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Ibiza

I think we’re pretty much a match for Everton. It’s just a matter of who stays fit and what players can maintain good form,

The top 6 are just streets ahead really. I don’t get the insults towards JFK for pointing out the financial gap between us and the top 6, it’s completely valid for fans to understand our position there. I don’t know why some fans seem to think that advertising on our hoardings is going to be massively more lucrative than advertising on Norwich’s or Southampton’s They’re not. We need a few consistent top 10 finishes before we can think about the top 6 again.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Ibiza – previous thread – spoil sport -definitely not- a cautious realist perhaps. I’ve see too many false dawns at the Toon over the years to get carried away.
    Getting back to Saturday – probably our best performance so far this season -pity Mbiwa was sent off. However, it had all the elements which folks want to see -passion,goals, penalty, controversy, ending with something from the game.
    Hope it can be maintained.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Ciaran (I’ll re-post too)…It is important not to get carried away, agreed.

Still, it’s nice to have something remotely positive to talk about and to look forward to.

“Fully expect us to win”….Uh oh 🙂

TDS…I believe the big difference between us and Everton this season will be Lukaku. The guy is a machine.

As for the criticism towards JFK, well, they wont always be rational. The man is a buffoon. No one, and I mean no one, can turn up at a job and openly criticize the fans like he did and expect things to be easy. It will take some turnaround for fans to accept him…especially when all we’ve seen him do since his arrival is say that we want to get back to top 8 and then that we can’t possibly compete. It’s not a well thought out approach really.

I think every single toon fan knows the problems we face and the fact the top 6 get more money than us. What we want to hear now is how he plans to get us back fighting with the big boys.

Instead of constantly lowering expectations, isn’t there a better way to approach it? I’m not saying go all out and promise things that can’t be achieved. I just feel he handles almost every PR stunt badly and alienates himself more and more.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Tuff…Was only playing with you, I do completely agree. We need to keep as calm a head as we can….especially going in to a derby game. It’s still early doors and 2 or 3 games can change everything.

If they can continue that passion and commitment throughout the season (or at least the majority) I will be happy.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Ruddy

Why the doom and gloom again and why the repost? I’ve said we are good enough for the top 8 since the summer and I haven’t changed my view. We have had injuries, Cisse hasn’t performed at all, Ben Arfa has performed in bits, Cabaye and Tiote are only just getting into their groove.

When players play well then you use it as a negative to say we can’t rely on it but when they play badly you use it as a negative as it shows where we’re at? Come on…you can’t have it both ways.

Top 8 is where I predicted and there’s no indication to say we won’t get it. If Debuchy and Santon continue to improve, Tiote and Cabaye can keep up the kind of form they had 2 years ago, Ben Arfa can chip in when he’s in the mood and maybe even Cisse can find his shooting boots then we’ll do just fine.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM

TDS

On hoardings I read that some boards can go for a lot of money (digital board facing camera during a big televised game) but that most clubs have these tied up with shirt sponsor or other official league sponsors, so not much to worry about.

There are plenty other commercial activities the club need to get involved with as Newcastle is a pretty large city with a lot of business opportunities to exploit.

On jan signings…it could be a way forward. Sign players who only have limited contract time left to get a low fee…2 players in that situation are gomis and nice and there is talk we could swoop for both of them (spurs have cooled on nice with chadili, lamela, Lennon and Townsend occupying those spots.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Ibiza

Lukaku is just one man though and Remy could potentially do as well as him this season. Everton are also an injury away from starting Kone or Jelavic, neither of which I think are good enough for a top 8 club.

JFK is a buffoon no doubt about it, but he didn’t actually insult the fans in the way that people report. He said that he’s more intelligent than the fans that were slagging him off, or something like that. It was twisted to make out that he said he’s more intelligent than the fans.

Every time the club says what the plan is to get back amongst the big boys, it’s slagged off for a lack of ambition. They need to be clear, take any criticism on the chin, and follow through with their plans.

Consolidation in the top 10 over the next 3 seasons is the way to go in my opinion.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I meant tom ince not nice

• kt97toonarmy

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Buzzin for dummett. It mite shut that sean dyces mouth mightin it

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM

TS

Business in Newcastle is miles behind London obviously but also significantly behind the likes of Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester. The other 7 clubs in the top 8 come from London, Liverpool and Manchester so we’re at a disadvantage there.

The hoardings can go for a fair bit of money but it’s not massive, you’re right, it’s really not much to worry about. But yeah, they need to find ways to grow the revenue. Outside of the top 6 who have a higher profile than us globally, we should surely be the next in line. More strategic friendlies would be one way to go, rather than playing UK clubs ever summer.

Gomis and Ince would really add to the squad. Another defender would be good too.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

TDS

Yeh I agree we are behind London but still think we can do more within the local area when looking at those financial reports you mentioned a fee weeks ago.

The club can’t move to London so like you say need to focus on things than can influence like friendlies, tying up more links to other clubs, etc.

I wonder who plans it? Doubt it’s kinnear as he seems to be only on the football side and not business, maybe lee charney? Or Ashley himself. Or possibly people behind the scenes we don’t know.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM

TDS…I get what you’re saying. Lukaku is only one man and injury to him could prove costly for Everton.

If I had to chose between Remy and Lukaku I’d chose Lukaku all day long. I think he will prove to be a huge player.

To be clear, I’m not saying we wont or will even struggle to get 8th, but it will be touch and go at best imo.

Whether it was a general comment or aimed at a minority it was a ridiculous comment to make. It’s not like it was the only one either. In fact, it may be a quicker conversation if we highlight the good things he said.

As for going forward and any plan…all faith was lost after we finished 5th. I don’t want to keep going on about it, but it’s the simple truth. We had a chance to push on or consolidate and we didn’t. Since then, we’ve been given the yearly targets of the club, but no real signs of where we’re going or how we’re going to get there.

We’re basically told, we have no money, we can’t compete and trust us, we’ll do the best we can. Not much of a project to get excited about.

P.S. Ciarans comment was hardly that negative. Just pointing out that it’s a bit early to get carried away, much like Tuffs post.

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM

dont fancy gomis in jan bring ba back hes a known quantity and can hit the ground running – sell cisse we dont miss him now we wont in jan

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Wolfs

Yeh I’d take Ba over gomis any time…but during the summer he said he’d only leave Chelsea for a champs league club so not sure if he’s come back to us.

But I too would prefer somebody instead of gomis. Although I think he may be our target because he is out if contract this summer

• Ciaran

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

While someone might see Williamson playing well for one game as a positive that he is stepping up to the mark, I see it as a once in a blue moon scenario. Until Tiote shows some consistency I will hold the same view.

Until we have consistency from top players, Cabaye, M’biwa, Colo, HBA, Remy, then we cannot possibly consider ourselves as a top 8 side. We are contenders for sure, but that should be an expectation, not a welcome surprise.

We have had injuries to Tiote, Gutierrez, Saylor and Remy and now Colo. Guti is no real miss, neither is Saylor, and before last weekend’s game, neither was Tiote. We have a pretty full hand to play from, and we’re starting to play decent stuff.

Cabaye is getting better, but I fear HBA will never be consistent. So what happens if injuries hit to players like Remy, M’biwa or Cabaye?

Not doom mongering, merely asking a salient question.

As for why I reposted, don’t be silly.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Sorry to do this to everyone, but talking of striker targets, does anyone know how PEA is getting on after his move?

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Ciaran

Why? Tiote is doing a good job the last couple games and willo has been solid since he came into the side at Everton.

It’s maybe too soon to say we are a top side but I hardly thinks it’s too soon for us to compete for the top 8. Granted we should do that anyway with our squad but still good we are doing it.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Ibiza

5 goals in 9 league games…not bad.

They play arsenal tomorrow which should be one hell of a game.

• Ciaran

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Sage

Tiote has played 2 games, away to Cardiff, and home to Liverpool. Granted he was excellent on Saturday, but suggestions that he is “back to his best” are premature. He was too bad for too long for me to allow myself to let him off that easily.

Williamson has plugged a hole, but is certainly not a starting centre half. He is making me feel a little more confident in his ability to come in as a back up, but he is simply not good enough, regardless of how solid he has been.

As for top 8. Of course we should be competing for top 8. Anything less is a failure. Some of our players are good enough for us to do that, some aren’t. Our depth is not sufficient to cope with any injuries so we are walking a tightrope in that sense.

Injuries to fringe players, we can deal with. But injuries to 1 or 2 key players and we could well struggle. A properly run football club doesn’t allow a squad to be so close to that line, contingencies are made.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

TDS @16 you posted:-
    “More strategic friendlies would be one way to go, rather than playing UK clubs ever summer.”
    You suggest the above -you know it – I know it -every thinking fan knows it -but the Toon don’t do it.
    I’m talking about of course about the close season overseas tours as a means of promoting the club in potential markets. Yet our pres-season was a couple of games in Portugal (hardly going to get any converts/new business from there) and a couple of games in the UK.
    I recently posted a link to an article about what Spurs were up to – massive forward thinking plans. Tried to work out in a similar vein what the Toon were up to -I have to say I don’t know -nobody knows- nothing is in the public domain.
    Spurs know there are markets in Africa/Asia -so have toured there to promote the club. We currently are apparently not active at all – which unfortunately does suggest that El Gourdo is content with the situation at the Toon.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Ciaran

I know what you mean about tiote. It’s good his current form is like his best but he does need to show it over weeks as months.

With willo, maybe he has tacken it upon himself to improve over the summer and has come back a better playing with hard work in training. He certainly isn’t going to be a kompany but he could develop into a solid defender as he has some natural characteristics like height and determination.

I would definitely like a better CB but if he has improved then I can’t complain.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Tuff,
    In fairness to the club they have tried to arrange games in South Africa the last 2 years, only for the host cities to cancel the tournament late spring.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Ciaran

Also I think we have a much deeper squad than any side outside of arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, man utd, city and spurs…I’d say we are on par with Everton and above others.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM

We also toured the states, which I remember many fans on here ridiculing the idea as the players wouldn’t be properly prepared for the season.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

TS…Remy? Not saying he’s bad like 🙂 Not at all.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Ibiza

What about remy? I’m lost off haha

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

TS…5 goals in 9 games?!? Or was that Lukaku?

Wait, who am I? Where am I? Someone help 🙂

• Ciaran

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Sage

We have Shola Cisse Remy and Gouffran up front. The latter two are better on the wings, whereas the former two have been as useful as a chocolate teapot. Injuries to Remy or Gouffran, or god forbid both, and we are left with sticking an ineffective Cisse, or a useless Shola up front. It goes to show how bad Cisse has been when Pardew is using HBA as a false 9.

Well, by your reckoning we have the 7th best squad in the league, yet we only signed 1 player in the summer. How much did Remy’s signing improve our squad, bearing in mind that Everton’s squad is considerably stronger this season in my view. Or did we have roughly the 7th best squad last season too, yet finished 16th.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Ibiza

That was pea at Dortmund.

Remy has 5 in even less games

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM

TS…Oh yeah, forgot I asked about PEA. So don’t worry, you’re not lost, it’s just me!

Thanks for the info.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Ciaran

I think from January onwards we has the 7th best squad last year, just takes time to settle 5 new players in and the pace of remy was a bit improvement.

Also gouff and remy are both natural central strikers at previous clubs, remy said he chose QPR as they offered him a central role which he wanted. So that’s 4 strikers.

Outside the ‘top 6’ clubs who has more/better options upfront than that? Possibly Everton but similar to us.

We have a good selection of midfielders and a good amount of defenders. Colo, mbiwa, Taylor and willo…then santon, debuchy, haidara and dummet. Good balance too.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Ibiza
    I was reading back comments to find out where I got lost. Was baffled haha.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Ciaran…For all we have thrown around thoughts on last season and whilst I’m not going to try and say that Ashley or Pardew didn’t mess up, having the extra EL games and having the most injuries in the league certainly can be argued as being a big reason for our low finish. 8 more points last season would have seen us joint 8th with West Brom.

Okay, that in no way tries to take any blame away from Ashley…the b*st*rd! 🙂

The addition of Remy, the lesser amount of games (Let’s hope we don’t do well in a cup….yes, tongue in cheek…sort of) should benefit us this season.

Injuries still provides a big question mark over our chances, as they do with most teams season targets.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Lilongwe @28 – well I reluctantly half agree with your post about others in South Africa cancelling the tours. But I suggest that these tours should be an integral part of the clubs future plans -just as important as the domestic fixtures. As such they should be planned early and then assure commitment by getting the contracts signed up at the earliest time. Get the feeling of slap dash planning here.
    Did you peruse the article about Spurs yesterday – I posted the link. Very progressive plans -accessible to everyone.