I Thought All The Lads Were Fantastic – We Kept Our Shape

The groin injury to captain Fabricio Coloccini is a bit of a blow to the Newcastle side, and we have our worries that he may be out quite a few weeks, and we’ve really had no  information of how bad the injury is, or how long Colo will be out for. On  Physioroom.com Colo  has no return date and is listed with a groin/pelvis injury.

mike williamson wonga

Mike Williamson – we kept our shape

Mike Williamson’s came on for the second half against Everton, and has played very solidly for Newcastle since that time, and he’s helped steady the Magpie ship.

Williamson turns 30 in a couple of weeks time, and he thinks that Newcastle play a certain way, and then players who come in know what’s required and can fit into the scheme of things, and players aren’t missed too much.

And as Mike says, if we can stay tight and compact – it doesn’t matter who the personnel are – here’s what Mike said  in the local papers today:

“The manager’s had to look at the strength in depth and bring players in,” “We’ve had a lot of different players coming in, but it’s all about continuing that philosophy we’ve got and staying tight and compact.”  “If we can maintain that, it doesn’t matter who the personnel are.”

“We’ve taken a lot of positives. It was a great point in the end.”  “Liverpool were full of confidence. We only have to look at the players they’ve got. The manager’s got them playing collectively, and it was a very difficult time to face them.”

“We stood up and limited their chances and created a few of our own.” “I think we’ve got some fantastic defensive players, and we showed our defensive qualities.”  “The character in the group showed through, and it would have been easy to let our heads go down after the sending off.”

“But everyone dug in and stayed together. It was a great point.”  “It was all about trying to organise and keep our shape and discipline, and making the right judgement calls.” “I thought all the lads, from the front to the back, were fantastic.”

In fact Newcastle have looked good since that second half at Everton, and now the challenge is to keep it up and keep picking up points, and maybe one of these days we can win a game by more than one goal in the Premier League, and certainly our goal difference can do with improving.

Maybe we can do that at the Stadium of Light on Sunday, although first things first,  and all 3 points are what we want in the derby game, to make up for the disaster that happened in April at St. James’ Park.

My arm started to hurt just thinking about it. 😀

What do you think?

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

willo for the ballon d’or 🙂

• croftus5678

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM

willo 30yo ?? always thought he was 26 ish !!!

• John Tudor

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM

willo for ball on the door

• bills-son

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Remy and Gouffran giving more cover to the FB’s has meant Willo can hold his position in the centre of defence where he does a decent job. Last season there was no shape or closing down in midfield and when the FB’s got caught upfield the CB’s were often pulled wide and without pace – which Willo and Colo dont have – they were crucified.

The only way we can play an attacking game and defend well with only Tiote as a genuine DM is to get the forwards and other mids working their butts off. That didn’t happen last season but Pardew seems hell bent on making it happen this season.

• DokToon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

anyone tell me, is the derby on saturday or sunday? different sites are saying both days…
    thanks…

• John Tudor

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

sun lunchtime uk

• Thump

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

@DokToon: It’s on Sunday, mate. Think it’s still a 1:30 kick off as well.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

correct we did keep our shape, perfect display

debuchy attacked at the right times instead of every time and looked so much better for it.

• John Tudor

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

and the nightmares will be forever

• Ian Toon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Dok- it’s on Sunday which I understand is good for you.

• G

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Bloke at work is giving out odds on another 5 goal spanking… I don’t want to tempt fate, but I must confess there’s a certain appeal at the bookies for this one.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM

G

I know its a derby and naturally players will be up for it etc etc

but how fired up will our boys be after a solid display with 10 men and seeing the mackems spanked off every team they have played…not to mention to go to their place and avenge the 3-0 on our patch last year

I can see us thrashing them.

• John Tudor

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

chickens and numeracy skills come to mind

• Transfer Sage

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

john

i know we can’t be too confident, well the players can’t…but surely we can now

• Ibizatoon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

And people claim the club has no philosophy.

We’ve all known that Mike likes to keep his wallet tight and compact, good to see that philosophy reaching the field!

Sorry, poor I know, but it’s been a long day.

So, what’s happening? Are we anticipating how much of a slapping the scum are going to get this weekend?

• DokToon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

all,
    sunday is perfect as i coach my sons soccer team on saturdays…now i can wake up at 6am, have a few drinks and cheer the lads on!!

thanks all 🙂

• John Tudor

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

west ham hull etc im not confident at al,l they may get beat often but they give 110%

• GeordieTwo

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I can’t see this being high scoring. They will be up for it and desperate for points. Poyet has beaten us when he managed Brighton. A tense draw is probably a good bet unless we score early and silence their mob.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

The Stadium of Plight will be full of the usual masochists who love to watch their side struggle. A second point for the season is the best they can hope for. Finishing 20th with Palace in the Prem will be an amazing accomplishment. 🙂

• DokToon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM

i respectfuly have to disagree G2… i think the lads are brimming with confidence and see a hammering coming on… 4-0…

• GeordieTwo

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Fair enough DokToon. I hope you’re right mate. The lads looked very good against Liverpool but this will be a different sort of game, probably with a lot of nasty tackles from them. I can see Tiote and Cabs getting the brunt of it to try to unsettle them. Let’s hope we score early on.

• Ian Toon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Interesting listening to a sports bulletin of Ferguson and his fall out with Beckham after criticising his performance during an FA Cup defeat to Arsenal in 2003. Ferguson blamed Beckham for one of the goals for not tracking back. This rang a few bells in regard to HBA and his shortcomings particularly in the Hull game.

I can’t help feeling that Hatem’s loss of form corresponded with the silly talk in some quarters of him winning the Ballon d’or.

• Ian Toon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Dok – you start drinking early!! Or do you just not stop!

• Ian Toon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Geordie Two – I hope your going to forecast another heavy defeat then I know well be up for a win. Or am I being unfair?

• Transfer Sage

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM

geordie two

normally a point is a good result but for all they will be fired up we will be more so after last year.

I just fancy us to rip them to shreds, not one part of their team is playing well, we have a great chance to smash them.

I’m predicting a 6-1 toon win…pardews biggest and best as newcastle manager

• Ibizatoon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

G2…I’m trying to think who Sunderland have left that will be truly up for this derby. Didn’t they add around 14 players recently?

I’m with you on the trying to keep expectations down. It should, in theory, be as good as done. Let’s see how we turn up first.

Ian…I was just reading some of those extracts.

On Benny, I do think the lad can be guilty of being a tad arrogant and this does seem to be a stumbling block for him. One should never believe your own press.

• Tsunki

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

…And so as the dust of the Liverpool draw settles, we peer through the murk at the battle looming with the unearthly dwellers of the sinkhole of wearside. Are we poised for victory or setting ourselves up for defeat at the hands of yet another slavering mob and its lunatic generalissimo? I have a sense of forboding.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM

ian

yeh hatem needs to track back….better players than him do it so he should too. i agree

on balon dor…nobody would have seriously meant that

• Tsunki

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM

.. Not least for Mr P. Its the point at which I always felt his tenure might be lost.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM

“I’m predicting a 6-1 toon win…pardews biggest and best as newcastle manager”

TS…Come on now, don’t be greedy. Share whatever it is you’ve been using with the blog.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

ibiza

they have had an average – easy run and have 1 point…why not

• John Tudor

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

cannot be form

• DokToon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

ian,

on special days i start early… sunday will be a special day for us… i feel it in my liver… 🙂

ps… i do work for budweiser…

• GeordieTwo

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Ouch Ian Toon. That’s harsh mate. I guess I’m going with a hard fought draw. It will be a very tense affair. They know their backs are against the wall and it could be their chance to get 1 of the 6 points they are going to collect this season. : ) It’s up to our lads to make sure we get at least a point. I don’t like having Colo away in Argie and depending on Willo is risky as well for me.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Ibiza a 6-1 Toon win would be spectacular mate. A hat trick for Remy perhaps? Or is it going to be Shola the mackem slayer again? Glad to see you’re in good form today.

• DokToon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

you do realize that i have to get up at a godawful time to see NUFC play live.. and its a sacrifice i will continue to make…plus the wife is stilla bed, and my son and i can enjoy ourselves, and cheer the toon on…

anyone tyneside need a roommate? 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

TS…”Why not” is an interesting question 🙂

It’s also part of the answer for me. Without wanting to be a drama queen, we do tend to make serious hard work of what should be quite straightforward.

I do expect a win, but I am wary and quite a bit nervous.

It really has little to do with Sunderland, they’re as good as relegated and fairly hopeless.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

dok

depends…how much bud can you smuggle free of charge ahah

• Ibizatoon

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Dok…Your wife is a bed? Is this one of those cultural differences?

Is it a bit like, we say tomato and you say…well…this may not translate well in writing.

G2…Spectacular indeedio. Yeah, so spectacular I would use stupid words like that! Is the slayer up and running now then?

• DokToon

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

ts..

youd be surprised 🙂

if you can find me the members shirt we wore agaisnt braga… youd def get a care package courtesy of myself….