Another Sunderland Defeat Would Be A Tragedy – Fact

Yoan Gouffran has proved to be a very savvy buy by the Magpies last January, and Yoan is both a good player and very competitive, and he has fought his way back into the starting line-up at Newcastle, and against Liverpool it was in place of the out of form Papiss Cisse, and the former French U21 International is also likely to start against Sunderland on Sunday.

yoan gouffran aston villa 98

Yoan Gouffran – in good form at the moment

Newcastle have a very tough period coming up and after Sunderland we entertain Manchester City in the  Capital One Cup and then are at home the following Saturday to Chelsea and then at White Hart Lane eight days after that.

🙁

Of course it’s also a great opportunity to get some very good results, and push on up the League table and into the quarter finals of the League Cup – that’s a positive way to look at things at the moment.

Yoan Gouffran seems to be focused, and he must also be fairly close to being included in the French squad, and he mentions the tough playoff game his country has coming up next month against Ukraine:

“It’s an important period where we have important games.” “But we have to think game after game and we have to prepare for each game.”

“After Liverpool it is Sunderland and that’s how we must think.” “I saw the French game. I’m not in the squad, but I support the team.”

“I hope they win the play-off.” “There is a group of 25-30 players, and I don’t think I will be in.” “My focus is playing for Newcastle – starting against Sunderland.”

Gouffran had another good game against Liverpool, and he worked his socks off for the side, as nearly all of our players did last Saturday, which made the 2-2 result with 10 men even sweeter.

This is a dangerous game coming up on Sunday, simply because we’ve done so well in the last couple of games, and more often than not when that happens, Newcastle seem to come up with a poor result and a terrible performance.

We hope that isn’t the case on Sunday, because another defeat against Sunderland would be very hard to take for Newcastle fans – in fact it would be a complete and utter tragedy.

What do you think?

• Transfer Sage

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I’m confident of a won (provided our boys aren’t over confident and still do all the hard work, they should after the last derby).

An early goal inside 10 mins for us could see them get a damn good thrashing.

An early goal for them and I still can’t see them keeping us out.

I’m sticking with my 6-1 prediction. I’ll add 4 for remy and 1 from cabaye and Gouffran.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM

9 people think we will lose?? I’d love to know what that is based on… Of course we could lose, they were on a pretty horrendous run last year with a new manager recently installed and we should by rights have won. We didn’t turn up. Of course there is a possibility that it could happen again, there are no guarantees in football.

To actually think we will lose though is baffling in my mind given form, players available, the fact Brown is set to make a come back and the fact that every single one of our players should be desperate to make amends for last year so will be bang up for it!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM

As others have said, I think we have to get at them and press them early. It will be a hostile atmosphere, but if we have them under pressure early, and get a goal then the hostility from the crowd could turn towards their own players.

Pardew has to alter his own mentality and press high, force O’Shea and Brown into making errors – they will if they are under pressure they have done it throughout their career.

We mustn’t sit back and let them come on to us, defensively we are still shaky. Willo has done okay, but nothing more. Taylor is Taylor, enough said. Dummett could rise to it or become shy away. It wan’t a good defensive performance at the weekend, it was scrappy, and owed a lotto luck and them misfiring. Committed though, and we will need that again.

I’d love a comfortable victory, but we haven’t done that much under Pardew, so any victory would be appreciated.

• jeff

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM

goofy

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM

As for Goofy being fairly close to being in the French squad….. He is about as close to that as HBA is to that Balon d’Or he was waffling on about a few weeks ago.

• bishopblaize

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM

We’ll win 3-0 .. Would love to see them hurt more than that though!

That team that turned out against Liverpool was immense .. Keep it Up Boyz

• mindshaft

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM

From last seasons match preview…..

Sunderland have trouble scoring goals, especially with Steven Fletcher out for the season, and it will be important for our lads to keep a clean sheet – and then we’ll need one goal to get all 3 points – and we’d be happy enough with a 1-0 win.

And 92% of our readers think we’ll win this game, so anything else will be a huge disappointment – and the results today in the Premier League all went our way.

And all 3 points tomorrow and we’ll be flying and in 11th place, and only a couple of points behind 9th placed Swansea City.

A top 10 finish is something we have to fight for in these last six games of the season, and a win tomorrow would be a good start.

Lets hope we do better this time round!

• bobby mango

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Don’t take the win for granted.

The Hull game and last season’s loss to them should be warning enough… Things are never easy, nor predictable for us.

• Spoof

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

On form and player abilities this should be a non contest with us getting the three points with a comfortable win, but don’t forget we were saying the same in April and look at what happened then, how so many of us can go into a derby game with an attitude that is’s a formality that we will win is frightening, I just hope that Pardew and the players are more professional than the fans and are not as complacent, form always has and always will go out of the window with the derby, give yourselves a shake and expect a real battle to take place, this complacency is pathetic and could come back and hurt you, it.s a local derby ffs, give it the respect that it deserves.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM

“Form goes out of the window in Derby games” – I have heard that all my life before any derby game. Can someone point me in the direction of something that backs up the school of thought of form going out of the windows in derbies compared with form going out of the window in any game?? Utter nonsense, we might as well give Arsenal the title now then as they are the form team and already won their 1st derby.

No matter what they say in the press, these are professional players who will go out and look to win any game they play in. Other than the local lads, do people really think that beating Sunderland means anymore to them then beating Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea etc?

• JAMSHA

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM

im goofing for a 7-0 win

• Ancientcoptic

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM

The rumour going around is that Wes Brown will to be drafted in to play; it should be interesting to see what the likes of Remy & Ben Arfa do to a player that has not had a good run of games in 2 years.

• Bearsize

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Gouffran!! Already getting a cult following. Similar to sibieski, but much better. Keep up the work rate mate thats all we ask 🙂

• Rooster

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

This situation with Colo N Jonas is getting weirder by the day, their supposed injuries??? there both back home sorting their personel problems no doubt???? stinking the gaff out for me, get rid get the bit while we still can. awful.

• cyprus

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Lil,
    I see you’re engaged in a monologue so I’ll jump in. Yes, I’m one of the guilty ones regarding your question. Just when it looks like we’ve turned the corner, here comes a sxxt display! We are consistent in our inconsistency, hence I pushed the ‘lose’ button with a trembling finger 🙂

Yes, logic says we’ll win, but, what’s the saying regarding derbies 😉

If we turn up, of course we’ll win. Emphasis on the first word.

• cyprus

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Rooster,
    Do you know Jonas’ ‘personal reasons’? If not, you don’t come off too nice.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Cyprus,
    I get that our consistency is our inconsistency. It is a derby, and we could lose. We could lose any game regardless of the form of either team. Personally, I don’t see that as any different to any other game, except in our heads. Worrying over our inconsistency, and knowing it is a football match doesn’t change my mind about thinking we should win. I still think we should have won against Hull, just cause we didn’t doesn’t change that.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM

On Jonas and Colo, all our foreign players have the option to go abroad when they are injured for a mid to longer term period of time, as was reported by local journos last season and all that have fallen foul of injuries have done this. The witch hunt on Colo over this is frankly ridiculous.

As for anyone thinking that facilities in Argentina aren’t very good obviously has never been there. 3rd world it most certainly is not.

• martoon

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Rooster – I’m sure it is just a coincidence they are both Argentinian. Colo has a long term injury so why not spend some time with his family – presumably local treatment has been arranged. As for Jonas I don’t know what the problem is but it is obviously pretty serious to allow him time off – normally a family death or serious illness so I think you are being a bit heartless!

• Sav

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM

We finally owe one to Gus Poyet for all the misery.

• cyprus

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Consulted the experts to get the cold hard unbiased business experts’ opinion: the bookies. It’s smack in the middle, basically the same odds for win – lose. Do they know something we don’t? Actually not. They know it could go any way, like we should.

• Spoof

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM

LG, in April did Sunderland look like a side that hadn’t won in their previous 11 games, no they didn’t, because the form book went out of the window, certain games mean more to players, they are human and they will have more desire for certain games, does a win against Palace give as much of a buzz against a win against Man U or Arsenal, no it doesn’t and as a result the desire is greater, I don’t care how professional they are they are still human, and when it comes to a local derby the desire, even for those from a different area, even a different country will carry more of a buzz to it, which neutralises form.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Spoof,
    Okay, how about when we beat Chelsea last year? The form book meant that they should have beaten us. Cardiff vs Man City this season, Us vs Hull,. Form book got all 3 of those wrong. So form counts for little in any game potentially. So to use that as an example is fairly pointless in an argument against my point.

As for certain games meaning more to players, yeah, it will mean more to beat big teams, not to beat Sunderland other than for the fact they beat us 3-0 at home last year. Honestly, what do you think is more important to Cabaye or HBA, perform well and win at Old Trafford, or perform well and win at Sunderland. As you say, and as I alluded to earlier, beating the big teams will mean much more to non regional players than a derby win.

• catchy in norway

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

im more worried about the sundeland game because of there position more than any other reason
    what have they got to lose?

I have said a few times now, the point v Liverpool was a great point, but we parked 6 in midfield and 5 at the back,

Liverpool had good chances so lets not kid ourselves which I think many are doing

• Ian Toon

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Lilongwe- Interesting exchanges on the Derby game this morning.

A Newcastle football historian friend of mine was commenting on the ” form goes out of the window line” just the other evening and I’ll share one observation with you.

It was 1990 and Newcastle met Sunderland in what was termed ‘the biggest Tyne-Wear derby in history’. It was the semi-finals of the then Second Division play-offs, with the prize ultimately being a place in the English first division( the top division in English football)- due to financial irregularities Swindon Town were prevented from going up.

Newcastle had finished third in the league and Sunderland sixth, and the toon had drawn the away leg 0-0. Unfortunately the mackems refused to adhere to the toon fans script and at St James’ Park goals from Gates and Gabbiadini caused a massive upset. It’s his contention
    that fans over thirty often spout the form outta the window line as a result of the 1990 play off game.

Arsenal fans for years also maintained, that they had to play so many derby games, where form went out of the window,as justification for not winning the Premiership.

What I do know is that it will be a bruising affair and we certainly can’t afford to be complacent. If we finish with 10 men I can only see a toon win. But I would say that! I also find it hard to understand any other prediction.

• cyprus

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

The bookies’ odds are so close there’s nothing between them. We are ever so slightly ahead:

Newcastle 2.6 2.6 2.62 2.6 2.63 2.6 2.62 2.62 2.6 2.6 2.62 2.7 2.6 2.5 2.62 2.6 2.6 2.55 2.6 2.54 2.58 2.59

Sunderland 2.8 2.6 2.62 2.7 2.63 2.75 2.8 2.7 2.75 2.65 2.62 2.7 2.62 2.75 2.62 2.6 2.65 2.6 2.6 2.61 2.82 2.75

• Maladoni 69

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I’m usually bereft of confidence going into a derby match, the pain of the loss is always much worse but I just can’t help feel positive about this match. If Tiote is dominant and controlled the battle is won in the middle. It could turn quite toxic. Another 4-1 for me. :prays:

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Ian,
    It will be bruising, and the players and management can’t afford to be complacent. We as fans though can rightly, or wrongly expect whatever result we feel is right. We have a stronger first team, are more settled, and should win. Whether we do or not, time will tell. Doesn’t change the fact we should.

I was at that match, one of the worst feelings I’ve had as a toon fan.

Cyprus,
    For a team to be favourites away from home is an achievement in itself though unless you are heads and shoulders above the rest of your league.

Anyway gents, I’m off to do some proper work for a bit. Enjoy

• Maladoni 69

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Ian Toon @ 25. I was a steward for that match, on the Leazers end. I had a bright orange bib with NUFC STEWARD on the back. They braught there own stewards for the game so you can imagine the amount of stick I got. Turned me into a man that night. I remember the toon fans charging down the pitch, with the Sunderland fans chanting feed the dogs. Hardest £9 I ever earned.

• Spoof

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM

LG
    thats right form counts for nothing, but would you not agree that for a derby players do naturally build themselves up that little bit more because the greater the scalp the more of a buzz it gives the fans which naturally gives the players a bigger buzz as well, a win in a derby match and games against the better or bigger clubs always gives more of a boost and gives more satisfaction to all, so due to the extra effort it makes the game harder to win, which is why it is often said that the form book goes out of the window, the bigger and more important the game, the more the desire is fueled, whether form book out of the window is the correct term to be used, is arguable, but the meaning behind the phrase is correct.

• Ian Toon

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Maladoni 69- your written into derby folklore. Nothing quite captures the imagination as the prospect of the forthcoming game.

I bet you’ve shared that experience a few times. I never got to be a ball boy.

• Ciaran

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Another derby defeat would indeed be a tragedy. I don’t care about “form goes out the window”, the fact of the matter is, with the 11 we are putting out on the field we should be good enough to win.

Sunderland are struggling to even sell out the game so the atmosphere won’t be an issue.

There can be, and will be no acceptable excuses for anything other than 3 points.

• martoon

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM

cyprus @26 Could you explain your random numbers- I don’t see how these equate to betting odds?

• Transfer Sage

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM

This all comes down to what you see as form. Is it results? Is it performance? Is it a mix of the two? If so which is more important?

For me you look at everything, playing well is good but if you are playing badly and battling to get your results that’s just as important as you can’t play well 90mins every week.

I think Sunderland will raise their game but by that logic so will we, so almost cancels each other out.

In the end it comes down to quality. We average more derby points than Sunderland the last 20 years as we have had better teams, something we have now as well. I fully expect a win and as long as our players work as hard as they did in the Liverpool game we should get it.

As for bookies…they aren’t a reliable source as have to cover themselves to make profit…eg they had sessegnon nailed on with betting suspended to go to spurs last year, it means nothing.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Martoon

Decimal odds not fractions. So 2.6 is 13/5

• Ian Toon

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Transfer- I am all for being optimistic but what’s your thinking behind. the prediction of a record breaking 6-1 victory.

Anyone who’s been to a derby game knows that the atmosphere generated can be an issue. That said its good that we now have a side that has experience of what’s involved.

Did I also see that you had Remy down for 4 goals that really would mark him down in our folklore. You don’t do anything by halves – oh brave warrior!

• toonincheek

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Derby game – but – so many of the 5under1and players are new to the Mackems, will they have the same intensity for a derby.

One can but hope.

• Spoof

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Ian, I hope transfer is right, fantastic victory and I also have Remy in my fantasy football team, now that would be the icing on the cake lol

• the_besty_show

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM

nowt worse than the word fact at the end of a statement when it isn’t a fact