Sunderland Only Offered Passion – But It Got Them The Win

Sunderland started this game like a steam train, and they were closing down Newcastle players when they got the ball and it was reminiscent of Southampton’s great play in the first half against Fulham yesterday, when they were too much for the London side and went 2-0 up.

alan pardew

Alan Pardew – all they offered was passion

But Newcastle came into this game in the last 20 minutes of the first half and controlled things pretty much in the second half, but still lost the game when Borini hit a great goal from 25 yards out with fie minutes to play.

This is what Alan said after the game:

“We were dominating. Really and truly we were done by a sucker punch,” “They got the goal early and that’s what you want for the first cross that comes in to be scored, that’s difficult to take.”

“But we settled down, it took us about ten minutes but then we started to get a little bit control over the game.” “But, of course, for them it was all about passion, running and closing us down and trying to capitalise on our mistakes.”

“That’s all they offered.”

Maybe passion is all the Sunderland players offered – but it got them the win – I know that because I checked the score again and it was still 2-1 to Sunderland and they took all 3 points from this game. 🙁

What do you think?

• manxpie

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:16 PM

manxpie // Oct 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

rotunda name your list then! as you ain’t afraid!!
    and they have to be realistic under ashley??

• stuart no9

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM

ED — passion is all thats needed to win a derby. pity no ene explained that to our pathetic excuse for a manager.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Mister Tuff, yes, I think the Chronicle and Journal go very lightly on Ashley and his screw ups too.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

tads…no one is taking about Benny having a blinder and frankly efford my arse!

…you might be more disappointed with the players you mentioned and so be it! Benny might be out of shape or maybe sonething else is wrong, but he is not costing us the games. Whether you like it or not he created the goal and he is not responsible for us conceeding!

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Top 10 to 7th seems to be the our predicted finishing position being banded about
    Based on what?
    To finish top 10 to 7th these are exactly the type if games we HAVE to be winning, you have to be beating relegation fodder, this is the second prime candidate for relegation we have list to this season and that is simply not good enough

• Hatem's better than Messi

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

It used to hurt more … watching Ashley’s NUFC is slowly growing less and less important.

From crazy fanatic to interested follower in 5 years.
    In another five years I might not even check the results?

Cheers for that Mike.

• boater

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

In the interests of some perspective, I’m not sure what Pardew did wrong tactically today. He chose the team most people wanted, and his substitutions came at the right time and made sense – given Shola’s derby record, sammi’s recent form and Cisse’s pedigree. We went for it at 1-1 and got punished.

We are a much better team without Cisse in it. That’s the only thing I can take from today.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Jesper
    By all means point out when I said he’s cost us games or was at fault for the goal
    The point being made is these three are out if form/shape and we can’t keep carrying them hoping they come good
    Surely benny is the exact type of player who would inflict far more damage coming on off the bench

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

boater… most admit Cisse doesn’t seem to work in our version of 4-3-3!

…but I would be inclined to say he is not the only one 🙁

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

TS

What we really needed was a physical presence up front. Remy should have been able to offer this but I don’t think that’s his best asset. I wonder how close Shola was to a start…

We’re inconsistent to say the least. In fact, the whole club is and has been ever since I started to support them.

• manxpie

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

jesper wats your beef man i answered you last post and he certainly cost us against everton and he certainly hasn’t helped us in the other 4 games in scoring goals!!
    simple as that really isn’t it!!?

• GeordieTwo

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Hard fought game and disappointing result. We didn’t have enough experience at the back or enough cutting edge up front. They swarmed us in the first half very effectively. A clever game plan from Poyet. Not much of a response from us. Borini’s shot was a very decent one.

• Wiz

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I agree with Hatem. Ashley is playing with fire these days. We’re obsessive and ludicrously loyal supporters, and we’re losing interest. Relegation is just a vague notion to be concerned about. It’s not frightening or desperate as it would have been a few years ago. He’s smacked us in the face too often with a wet fish. The pleasure I would get from knowing how much money he was losing if we went down would almost make relegation worth it, frankly. What a cynical bastard that man must be, to make me that cynical.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM

tads…but we are not carrying Benny!

…he is not a luxury we cannot afford as you keep saying!

He is not the problem mate! But I would advise Pardew to find out quickly why Benny is not playing like we know he can – this still doesn’t explain the rest of the team. It is not just this game but more or less the whole season.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Tsunki

We build for the future by not overspending, investing in youth and having consistent top 10 finishes. This is exactly what should be done as well as repair the relationship between club and fans.

• Thump

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Hatem’s better than Messi // Oct 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

From crazy fanatic to interested follower in 5 years.
    In another five years I might not even check the results?

Cheers for that Mike.

I’m almost happy that I’m not the only one feeling like this. Last season I wasn’t even that bothered because “we deserved to lose”. I convinced myself that our deserving loss was more important than the derby… I’m just not feeling that any more. Ashley has managed to take the best support in England and drain it of a lot of it’s passion. That’s probably the most tragic part of his reign.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Sadly I don’t think anyone will be defending Cisse too much anymore. He looked lost when he came on and his few touches were very poor. Pardew won’t be selecting him to start against Chelsea I wouldn’t think.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM

The reason we have not got any penalties is because the Mother Fu**er pardew does not get players in the box.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

manx…I don’t remember me asking you any question in the last thread?

…or for a long time to be frank? Most confuse me with someone else!

Benny didn’t cost us the Everton game – as both commentators were saying Benny was the only threat in the first half and he most have been injured since Pardew took him off.

I don’t think he played well in that first half, but no one did and he was hardly the worse!

• BandB

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Banning the papers?
    Maybe Pardew was right, and Ashley has a temper he struggles to control. The same might be said for his director of football.
    Maybe the only safe thing to do is to keep quiet and hope he doesn’t turn on us when he’s angry, as is often counselled on here.
    There are plenty of people in a position to testify that that doesn’t work.
    It seems clear that Ashley isn’t easily appeased.

• toon kk

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I’m sick of watching sh.t.
    Ive just watched Ch v Mc their in a different league.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

I don’t agree that we deserved to win, I don’t think we were that superior to say that. And even being much the better team doesn’t mean that you deserve to win.

Remy was poor, Cisse was very poor, Ben Arfa was poor. You can’t blame that all on Pardew! Where is a big strong striker up for a derby battle?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I don’t understand so called supporters who say they’re losing interest. Geordie for life.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Thump

Make that 3, used to write a bit about NUFC too, but not doing that anymore.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

How will we line up against Chelsea? No Cisse for me but do we try 4-3-3 at home? If we start Gouffy, Remy and Ben Arfa up front it’s about as good as we have. Will Colo be back and could Saylor start? Hard choices to make in midfield as well and we have so little on the bench. I think Sissoko is being played out of position. He’s too far up the field. Not a natural attacker as far as I can see. What a mess with two very difficult games coming up. What’s all this about banning the local press?

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

You know what…I respect the fans who have set up their own club to reflect the values that they believe their club left behind, Man Utd and Wimbledon I know of. Better than whinging.

• catchy in norway

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

can anyone remember the 3 or 4 great chances ? pardew talks about ??

was he at the toilet and got confused ?

maybe he should go to speck savers

• Belfast

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I said last sunday night that I wasn’t confident going into this game. Mainly because Poyet had out thought Pardew on two previous occasions with championship players.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM

BandB
    You mean kind of like an abused partner?
    Be quiet and we don’t send him in to a rage!

• Belfast

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Fair play to all those who were involved in the protest, because it’s clearly got under fat boys skin. Which is nice to see.

• Geordie1985

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Cisse, sissoko and HBA have had their chances this season and hav given a load of tosh in return. We need to get anita into the team and santon wide left with haidara at left back.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Jesper
    If he’s not threatening goal or setting up chances then he’s bit doing his job and the team are carrying him
    I don’t care how many runs he does, how many step overs he attempts if it’s not pushing us on it’s holding us back
    Same with any other player

You seem to think in only talking about this match, I’m not, he was dropped rightly so for a reason and the only reason I can see that he has been bought back in is because cisse has also been dropped because his performances over his last 3-4 games have been absolutely dire

• toon kk

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

It was like going down to 10 men when Cisse came on, I wouldn’t have him on the bench at the moment.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Tds – I dont understand why you wouldn’t fight for your club. Are you a geordie for life?

• GeordieTwo

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Many on here were full of confidence after the Liverpool draw but the problems were still there. No decent centre backs available and no strong striker presence in a physical game like this. Remy is better in less physical games.

• Geordie1985

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM

We’re also on course to concede 70 goals this season. Other than williamson, theres not a single player that can head a ball. Every time a cross comes in its panic panic panic. And that said, pardew was meant to be a coach with defensive expertise. My a***

• manxpie

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

jesper you didn’t ask me a question but you did post your opinion which i didn’t agree with and asked you a question back and again i’ve answered your opinion on arfa
    and on the everton game how many chances did he create?
    and how well did he defend for the team?
    on both of them was zero so in my opinion he did cost us the game which the second half showed

• Belfast

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I actually would have brought Ameobi on instead of Cisse to be honest. Cisse done ferk all when he came on.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Pardew’s interview

We were robbed and we were the better team.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Geordietwo – I got slated on here for highlighting the problems that the Liverpool game further exposed. The same problems we saw today.

1 2 3 7