It’s a little strange that Sunderland’s situation at the moment is very like what it was back on April 14th, when they surprisingly beat an inept Newcastle side 3-0 at St. James’ Park for one of their biggest wins ever over Newcastle away from home.
Gus Poyet – first derby game as the new Sunderland manager
Here are some of the things that seem almost the same as before the last game:
- Sunderland had lost seven and drawn four of their previous 11 league games – this time Sunderland have lost seven and drawn one of their previous eight league game
- Gus Poyet was made the Sunderland manager on October 7th, 20 days ago, and this is his first Newcastle Sunderland derby – Paolo Di Canio was appointed Sunderland manager on March 31st just 15 days before the last Newcastle Sunderland derby game, which was his first and turned out to be his only derby game
- Newcastle have done well in their last two games winning at Cardiff City and drawing at home to Liverpool – before the last game Newcastle had won at home to Fulham and drawn at home in the second leg of the Europa League tie with Benfica 1-1
- Sunderland were 4th bottom of the league in April – now they are bottom of the league
- Newcastle are big favorites to win the game
So we have to hope that Alan Pardew and the players are aware of these facts before today’s game, so that we come out and play at our very best for the full 90 minutes – another defeat would be hard to take – very hard to take.
What do you think?