46 Years Since Newcastle Last Lost Successive Derby Games

The last time Newcastle suffered a second successive defeat by local rivals Sunderland was on 3rd March 1967, losing 3-0 at Roker Park after losing 3-0 at St. James Park on 28th October, 1966, so that’s 46 years ago. 🙁

But it happened yesterday and like it or not but these players will now be remembered for that.

Mathieu Debuchy -6246125

Mathieu Debuchy in action yesterday

Newcastle have been inconsistent all season, and after playing very well in the second half with 10 men against the mighty Liverpool and getting a credible draw, how come Newcastle players were run off their feet by Sunderland in that first 20 or 25 minutes yesterday, when the Sunderland players looked like men possessed?

So now that Alan Pardew is the first manager since 1967 to suffer back to back defeats against Sunderland, what does that say about the manager and his players.

And it’s even harder to take because in April Sunderland were 4th bottom and that was their first win in 12 games, and yesterday that was their first win of the season after losing seven and drawing one of their previous 8 league games.

So we have been beaten twice by a poor Sunderland side, but they were too good for Newcastle, so where exactly does that put our team and our players?

It was not a good day to be a Newcastle United fan yesterday, that’s for sure.

I was shouting at the TV for them to wake up in that first 25 minutes – but for some reason – as my wife Madeline aptly kept pointing out – they just couldn’t hear me. 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Our best ever owner and his cronies just can’t stop breaking records.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM

When was the last time they done the double on us.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM

toonarmydownsouth // Oct 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I’m seriously worried about our next 3 games tbh lads, and think yesterday’s result was genuinely a disaster, not because it was a derby , but because we were facing the team planted on the bottom of league and who were woeful out of form, yes our aspirations are to finish mid table, but that means we have to be winning games like the scum away and hull at home
    We’re now going in to face citeh with our confidence shot, and I doubt were going to name an all star line up!
    Then on to chelski, who are absolutely on fire
    Then to spuds, who despite not playing well are certainly getting the run if the green with there pen decisions and will be facing a team who have had 2 of there four CB’s sent off this season!

Pardew and the team have well and truly put the pressure on themselves now and we could easily be in another relegation battle come Xmas looking at our fixtures IF he can’t get the players to respond in positive manner
    The big question over the next 5-6 games is which NUFC will turn up?

As for Ashley…
    He has now upset the local media, the local council and the fans, the life blood of the club
    He has somehow through, as our manager admitted, his own childish temper put the club in a stand off position with the city

The club is now fractured completely from it’s once proud heritage and is relationship with city is in tatters

For me there is no way back now for Ashley and it’s completely self inflicted

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Just reading back on TDsarf still blaming the fans for Ashleys lack of ambition, had the fans turned on him for selling Milner or refusing to buy Modric, he’d planned mediocrity way before he sh1t on Keegan, and as for the death threats he talks like it was some sanctioned hit like the fatwa on Salman Rushdie rather than a minority of brainless fans.

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM

pardew has all the worst record to his name as NEWCASTLE manager

• Harley

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM

It’s really strange at the minute. Obviously I wanted to win but I wasn’t as devastated as I thought I would be that we lost.

We definitely played the better football but couldn’t match their passion.

I was asking myself how I’d have felt if we’d won and obviously I’d have been delighted but then I would’ve thought what’s the point.

It doesn’t matter to the big picture much whether we win lose or draw as it will make no difference to the outcome of what the owner will do for the team.

We will never trouble the bigger teams under Ashley so it’s getting increasinlyt harder to be excited about Newcastle as it always boils down to the fact that it doesn’t matter if we get a good win.

I’ve never in my life spoke to so many supporters who say they aren’t as interested in newscaster anymore. On here also, there’s so many comments about not really caring anymore.

These people are then called out and told they should love the team no matter what and can’t be true fans. But 6 years if Ashley with no light at the end of the tunnel has zapped a lot of love out of a lot of people and It won’t come back until Ashley has gone.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Jail

I did defend Ashley for a long time but it’s gone beyond just appointing low grade drinking buddies and cronies to key positions in a top premiership club or having super tacky sponsors.

The greed of the man when rejecting the Mansoors still sticks in my throat and everything about him just shows him in a poor light as a egomaniacal little despot and megalomaniac rubbing his hands in glee at our fate.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM

tads,
    When I read Pardew about Mike getting upset and frustrated when he can’t understand something, it was like he was describing somebody with downs syndrome.

• Belfast

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM

The club has went to the dogs in every sense of the word.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM

what harley said

• BuckLuck

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM

And this is why I love this blog. It’s like the cuckoo’s nest, and I’m one of you 🙂

You can’t defend Pardew. He is limited and always has been. If you think Pardew is a good manager, or a good manager FOR us, you really need to watch a bit more football, because you’re clearly not a fan of the game, more a Newcastle-because-it’s-social-kind-of-fan.

He can’t get the defence right and he can’t get the final third right. He can barely set up a midfield. The only thing that saves his a$$ now is that we play passing football and have technical players to do so.
    I’ll give Ashley cred for forcing Pardew to play like this, and Carr for getting us the players.

Pardew will never come good for us. With Ashley at the top we will always be a mid table team, and because of that we really need a better manager or we will never evolve.

I don’t dislike Pardew. I even wrote that he impressed me in the Liverpool match, but that’s the odd off. Should be the other way around. Yesterday he got the tactics all wrong, again.

And of course he should be fired! I’ll run naked down the streets the day Pardew is gone, and I’ll strip-streak on SJP when Ashley is gone.

• catchy in norway

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM

59catchy in norway // Oct 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM

golden boy 83

does it make you a special fan because you CAN sit through that crap we are served every week ?
    in my eyes your special but not in the way you think , in my eyes your as bad as pardew , doing the same thing week after week and expecting a different result, deluding yourself into thinking he is trying to make it better by keeping the ball on the ground,

if you sat and actually really used your brain and thought about it , nothing has changed at all
    players are still out of position , whether it be jonas or HBA , they don’t get in there be in there natural positions,
    we have always been very light up front when it come to attack , we still are even though stats show we have more shots ,

all he has done is keep everyone where they were and stopped launching the ball forward

when I lived there I was at as many games as I could get tickets for, and never missed the reserves, I moved to norway to better myself instead of sitting in a job I did not like , if you don’t like something you change it

as for replacement managers , there are loads out there , just because we have not heard of them don’t make them wrong for our team , pardew was the wrong choice from the start and has only proved time to be just that , us as fans can force him out, the guy walks round like the problem with the team is everyone else’s problem not his , he is loving all this hatred towards Ashley because it takes some of the spotlight off him

if you were half the fan you say you are , you would see this , instead you close your eyes
    well done goldenboy

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM

People harp on about Ashley not making money from the club, SD has more than doubled in value, is that a coincidence ?

• yorkymag

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM

The club is IMO rotten to the core but I will keep turning up and supporting in the knowledge that this is simply a point in time .it will get better but it may take some time yet for Ashley to sell up and move on .
    I share the fear for the next few games and think the biggest challenge at the moment apart from injured centre backs which will get better is sissoko. Does not seem to fit into the team and playing him stops Anita having a place
    I think we would have done much better yesterday with him in than sissoko who I like as a player but not so far up the pitch

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Buckluck,
    You’ll give Ashley credit for the way we play. Lmfao

• Santon03

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM

banning local media could be damage control from Ashley or it could be retaliation from the march or movement or whatever you want to call it.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Santon,
    So what is your point !

• BuckLuck

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Jail for Ashley

IYes. Pardew would have played long ball if he could do it.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Geordieboy, thought Catchy’s post on 21 was pretty much spot on I thought.

I’ve identified the same things in Pardew, dropping back, lack of movement, interviews nothing like what has just happened in the game.

That is being aware and commenting on those issues which have arisen. If negativity comes with it, so be it, there is nothing positive about just scraping relegation or the dross which Pardew comes up with.

Even when we finished 5th I was far from convinced, because we weren’t playing good football. Yes we scored some great individual goals to nick us games and points, but the pass and move football wasn’t there, nor was the intent on attacking other teams. So much so that if we went ahead we’d sit back and try and defend the lead.

For me, the crucial season was last season to see if Pardew had bucked his underachieving trend which in itself would have been unlikely. That didn’t happen and the same defensive football without as many individual goals to nick games was still there, and team performances were regularly poor.

Yesterday, the movement in the final third was dreadful as it usually is under Pardew.

If he knew what he was doing this would be drilled into them in training so that everyone knows where to run and more importantly, why. Players must understand their roles and how they inter-link with players in certain areas so that players know what their teammate will do before they even receive the ball in a certain area. That is the manager’s job to plan and keep consistent. It is basic coaching and communication.

Having pot shots from 25 yards plus, is good and important, however, relying upon it is awful coaching. It has to be blended with varying pass and move football for chances to be created which is the main objective which should be reached. Is it a wonder why Cisse doesn’t look likely of scoring, no it’s not. Stick Andy Cole in there and he wouldn’t score many either. Why? Because we don’t create chances to shoot INSIDE the box.

The lack of movement around the box is disgraceful, players just stand looking lost.

The buck stops with the manager (and ultimately Ashley) on this. If the players aren’t playing well it is his job to fix that as he needs the skills not only to motivate, be to be tactically astute.

• geordieboy83

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Rotonda

Yeah apologies for the expletives I just get wound up being spoken to like that when there was no need for insults thrown my way. I promise you I wasn’t bugging myself up saying I’m a true fan blah blah I’m just saying I’ll support them through everything. I’m fed up believe me I want do much more. I just try and keep positive . It’s not a reluctance to change or acceptance of mediocrity pal. I just try so hard to make the best of a bad situation.

Catchy once again mate thanks very much. You’re the best. I never said you don’t attend games or anything like that I just defended myself from your insults. You’re a toon fan mate that in essence is all I care about. However for me it gets boring hearing constant negativity win lose or draw

• catchy in norway

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

well said LR32

• Transfer Sage

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Jail

On sports direct I really think it’s more to good business by them, exploiting the recession by catering to the masses in a limited budget and forcing competitors out of business through good deals. No doubt we help at nufc but I think we are a very small part of it.

When you consider wonga paid 6mil according to reports for the year then how much is all that stadium advertising with? If it was worth 6mil a year or more then surely it would be sold and sports direct would be on our shirt as sponsor as that gets much bigger advertising.

• Santon03

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

JFA

no point LOL

I honestly don’t know what’s going on behind the scene or what is the plan for the club future. I don’t think any of us know, we are just assuming. Usually in movies, cutting communication means war, but I’m not sure about what Ashley has to gain from declaring war with locals.
    If you know anything concrete please share, but not from “reliable source”.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

yorkymag

That’s fair enough but by doing that you’re just perpetuating the mediocrity for as long as Ash wants.

At the end of the day Ash is a business man and bottom line needs bums on seats. Without that, even for a very short period he is f…ed .

Imagine Ash walking into a half empty stadium for a couple of games. Believe me nothing concentrates the mind more than that no matter who you are.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I don’t like Ashley banning media at all but plenty others have done it. Alex ferguson was renowned for it, evening refusing to speak to the BBC for ten years or so.

• Toon-Prodigy

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Only one word to describe the ongoings of the last 24 hrs.

Distraught.

Picking up the pieces today.

What kind of NUFC was that though? It narf showed who wanted it more. They were like a rash, allover us. We didn’t match up yesterday. Simple as that.

Concerned to say the least.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Buckluck,
    Mike Ashley, who gets frustrated and upset because he doesn’t understand football presses Alan Pardew to play a more technical passing game. Interesting.
    I think the players that have been bought are a lot more down to their price than attributes.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM

As long as Pardew keeps selecting Sammy over Marveaux you know he has not learnt anything.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM

tads…you are thinking alot of things…or imagine!

• catchy in norway

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM

golden boy

you have a voice , use it, by telling others to be quite your given the impression your ok with it,

T4C is needed , and us as fans need to stand together and get what we want,
    Barca wake white hankies to let them know the manger is not good enough, this is what we should do,
    now more than ever , pardew was one of the one who went against the local press , the press will be on our side to, journos stick together ,

• martoon

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I always reserve judgement before commenting but I was gutted at how we played yesterday. I normally defend Pardew and his team selection was OK but it was the lack of fight that annoyed me. It was obvious Sunderland would be up for it and come at us hard for the first 20 minutes and we seemed to be surprised. The substitutions were completely baffling especially the first one of Cisse for Sissoko. Cisse has no current form and although Sissoko was not having the greatest game he was adding some bite to midfield which is where we were being out played. Surely Shola (because he has an edge over them) for Gouffran (who was anonymous) would have made much more sense. Then taking Reme off (our top goal scorer) at the end made no sense either and still Gouffran stayed on until being subbed by Sammy which was then too late. A brace decision would have been to, say, sub Cisse for Shola and leave Reme on. Of course it may have made no difference but it least it would have shown some intent.

• JAMSHA

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

PARDEW IS A SCUM… JST SACK HIM

• yorkymag

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Rotunda
    Guilty as charged
    If I thought 25000 would not turn up to the Chelsea game I would join the protest
    But it won’t happen and hence I am resigned to being patient

• Toon-Prodigy

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM

That team was lacking passion yesterday. It was lacking bite and fight.

We need some English lads in sharpish, it was all to telling yesterday for me.

Would we of lost that game yesterday with Nolan, Barton and the two Taylors?

What has Sissoko been scranning?