This Newcastle Midfielder Played His Heart Out Yesterday

There were a number of Newcastle players not at their best in the game at Sunderland yesterday, but that wasn’t the case with captain Cheick Tiote, who again played his heart out for the side, and for the second game running was easily Newcastle’s best player.

cheick tiote wonga 1

Cheick Tiote – Newcastle’s best player again yesterday

When Sunderland were hustling and harrying Newcastle it was Cheick Tiote who was getting in there with his tackles and trying to get the ball, and he is at or near his best form for Newcastle, after his place came under pressure from Dutchman Vurnon Anita.

It’s great to see the Ivorian back to his old form and he has 59% of the vote followed by goalscorer Mathieu Debuchy who has another good game for the side.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Sunderland?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

There’s still time to vote if you haven’t already done so.

Certainly Cheick Tiote said before the game that he would be honored top lead the Newcastle side out in the derby game, and the captain did all he could yesterday to get a result for Newcastle.

And it’s just a pity that not enough Newcastle players followed his lead.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM

ciaran

I don’t like ashley and i don’t like sports direct all over the ground but it’s just a bit of advertising.

they key to the growth of sports direct is the pricing strategy in a time when people are struggling for money. Other sports shops with normal/higher prices have gone under leaving sports direct to be the biggest chain by far in the UK…thats been the key to their growth.

I’m not saying he hasn’t benefited from NUFC but i don’t think it makes that much difference to the company in the grand scheme of things.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Fair play from tiote tbh, he was rightly dropped but he’s worked hard and regained his place, sadly it was at Anita’s expense instead if sissoko’s who has been absolutely woeful

• Transfer Sage

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM

ciaran

also the national adverts they have on TV will reach more people than football games, seeing as we only get maybe 10/12 televised games a year, then some highlights.

• catchy in norway

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM

golden boy

5th was fantastic , and he settled for that , make no mistake about it, 3rd was up for grabs,

and if this is the worst thing iv said that makes you get a little annoyed , I worry about you and what you know about football

it’s 90 mins of football , you play to win , you play for the full 90

I can understand in some games if you are winning you might want to see the game out for the last 5 mins

pardew can try and see 60 mins out and sit on a 1-0 against a poor team

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Sage
    No we game 10-12 televised games in England, worldwide every BPL game is televised

• Santon03

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

It’s funny how people connecting SD success due to NUFC. I’m NUFC fan don’t even want to watch anymore let alone others, especially last season.

• Santon03

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I’m off

• Transfer Sage

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

tads

yeh i accept that but the majority of the sports direct business is in the UK.

If the advertising made him that much extra money at sports direct why doesn’t he have it on the shirt? surely the 6mil from wonga could be recouped from sports direct if it makes them such a significant amount?

thats my point…not that the advertising shouldn’t be better used…but that its hardly the main reason for spors directs growth…they just have a great business model.

something ashley fails to do for us.

• geordieboy83

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Catchy

No need to worry mate I know plenty about footy from playing and currently managing. Amateur level obviously.
    As I’ve said before I don’t defend Pardew you can’t defend the indefensible, I know where you’re coming from and he drivels on about front foot blah blah blah however I just think at times criticism is unfairly thrown around. Sometimes I hold my hands up and say pards got that spot on.

• Edd Case

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Well, here’s where I’m at right now.

Yesterday, was the first derby day that I can ever remember in 36 years of loyal support of NUFC that I actually didn’t really care.
    Well, I did, enough to put the TV on and watch the game but the whole game, from start to finish just had a complete feel of nothingness again…

I can’t explain it but it’s something like, the excitement, the buzz, the passion, the belief, the proudness of being a Geordie and die-hard Newcastle fan in me, at least, has just gone.
    It’s like losing your mojo.

How can any of us get inspired when week in, week out, we’re left with so many more questions than answers.

It all, as always, boils down to one man, Ashley. Is he really a passionless, gutless loser? A multi-billionaire but squeaks when he walks.
    Ashley just completely got wrong what buying a football club is all about. You ‘could’ make this club so much bigger, better, but you settle for mid-table (at best) averageness of gigantic proportions.
    Any other club with any other fan base would have deserted you a long time ago but we’re starting to go more and more now…I know I am.

I want my club back.

I want the passion back.

I don’t really care if we lose 3-4 again to the bin-dippers if we play like we did then – because that would be progress from where we are now, something to build on, we were so close all them years ago, we could be there again if we had an owner with passion, Christ Ashley, how much money do you need man?

I’ve had it with Pardew. He’s clueless and the players do not play for him, they do not show any passion and they are all going to be looking for the exit door soon.

We need a fresh, new direction, a youthful manager with a clear vision. Someone that will bond the players again and get them playing like surely they can.
    HBA – what’s happened to you again?
    Sissoko, Cisse, Cabaye, Mapou and so on – these players are international quality players…sadly, until they pull on our strips – that’s got to be Pardew’s fault.

So, Ashley, new manager, new staff, new direction, new tactics, new players in Jan and something else that’ll be new for you too, PASSION for our (your) club.

• Toon-Prodigy

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Jail,

We do indeed.

People can look and blame Pardew but at the end of the day like I’v been saying for a year on here. He is not the major problem here.

The manager can be overlooked when you have a regime operating like this one. It’s just not good enough. Time4change has made it clear that Pardew is just as much a victim in all this and I agree. You don’t hire a manager if you don’t want to back him. He’s not perfect, but an employee that meets Ashleys ambition. Which is next to nout.

As for the squad, we need English in quickly. That’s what is lacking for me. These imports are struggling and have no idea of the area and tradition. Rectified quickly please.

• Doctapaul

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I seem to be at loggerheads with the majority again.
    Yes – Tiote worked hard AND..
    his passing was woeful
    and positioning even worse…
    If he’d been where he should have been, protecting in the back four then Sunderland would not have scored their second goal.
    Two years ago I thought Tiote was just about the best defensive midfield player in PL… Now? He’s nowhere near…