The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Can Newcastle Now Beat Manchester City?

9:33 am, Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

There will be significant pressure on Alan Pardew and his players to start getting some good results in the next two weeks,  when we play Manchester City tomorrow night, Chelsea on Saturday and Tottenham eight days after that.

cheick tiote on knees

Cheick Tiote – should captain Newcastle again tomorrow night
If it’s one thing Newcastle have been consistent with this season, it’s being  inconsistent,  and it would be true to form that after a terrible result against Sunderland on Sunday, that we actually beat Manchester City tomorrow night to reach the quarter finals of the Capital One Cup, and then an easy home draw could even see us in the final four.

But we have never beaten City for a number of years, and they always seem to get the better of us.

We were hammered 4-0 in the first game of the season, and lost 4-0 and 3-1 in the league last season,  and in the season we finished 5th top they still beat us 3-1 and 2-0,  and since we’ve been back in the Premier league we’ve played them seven times and lost them all. :(

So one way to look at those statistics is that we are due a win.

Let’s know how you think the game will go tomorrow night.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Let’s hope Newcastle remain hopelessly inconsistent, because then we could even win the game tomorrow night. :D

Tags: Capital One Cup · Coaching · League Cup · Newcastle News · Poll

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 mindshaft // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Lose – may as well put out the reserves

• 2 Transfer Sage // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Of course we can win, it’s not the most likely result but possible.

We have a lot of players playing as individuals, its what costs us some games, more than what it wins us, but having good individuals capable of a goal out of nothing then we can beat anyone.

Krul can keep us in games and the likes of cabaye, ben arfa, remy and cisse can all score goals from anywhere on the pitch.

It’s why I have faith going into every game despite my lack of belief in the manager.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

For all those that would like the Chronicle to highlight the pettiness of this ban a little e mail from a few people wouldn’t do any harm
    darren .thwaites @ trinitymirror.com
    Or
    Kevin. dinsdale @ ncjmedia.co.uk
    If you cant march take five minutes to send an e mail, ignore the spaces inbetween address, it’s to stop the comments getting automatically moderated.

• 4 scitoon // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Win! We are consistently inconsistent! I think a few changes to the team will spur us on eg Anita for Sissoko & Cisse for Benny up front. Man City will play a lot of backup players and so thankfully unlikely to see Yaya or Aguero.

• 5 geordieboy83 // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Catchy

As you live in Norway I trust you get see solskjaer first hand. I ain’t seen much of his stuff to be honest. What’s his style like bearing in mind the step up in class of opposition if hex were to manage in England? Would it translate well over here?

JFA

We can criticise Ashley for a lot but I do think he is a hell of a business man. I don’t think we can argue that. However a footy club is no ordinary business. So a genius in one business and mediocre in another. Look at Alan sugar a genius entrepreneur and business man but my god he made a mess of spurs.

• 6 geordieboy83 // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Yeah why not eh. This is the toon army we do nothing but surprise from week to week both good and bad. I rule nowt out. I wouldn’t be surprised if we won tomortow, Saturday then got something at spurs. Then lose to Norwich. It’s how we roll

• 7 scitoon // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Jail – Why would an email to journos about the ban being petty do any good? Is this not just stating the obvious?

TS – Bang on! I too have faith in a win regardless of the logic.

• 8 Magpies4Life // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Going by the %age of those expecting us to lose, I say we will win. This poll is almost a perfect opposite of Hull and Sunderland polls which had about 80% win and we lost. So, with inconsistency being a norm, we should win against the best team in the EPL (according to Jose).

• 9 mindshaft // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I’m still not getting the timeforchange agenda, so they want more ambition and ashley out?

The only way we can get Ashley out is if someone buys the club, given the fact that Ashley has tried to sell it on numerous occasions this is unlikely as no buyer has materialized

We want the club to show more ambition – I’m not sure what this means, do we want Ashley to give us more money to buy better players ( say 75 – 100 million ? ) a better manager?
    A better director of football, maybe someone like Daniel Levy at Spurs who seems to be able to get tons of money for poor players and get decent sponsorship deals?

Personally I think we should start at making the clubs image better which means two basic things

Ditch the Sports Direct advertising immediately
    Ditch the Wonga contract at the first opportunity

We could advertise a charity until the Wonga deal is over then find a decent sponsor, we could then look for better advertising partners for the stadium

No decent company wants to be associated with SD or Wonga, it’s like Armani allowing their clothes to be sold in poundstretchers – devalues the brand of NUFC thereby generating less and less revenue (which we could spend on players ) !!!
    Come on timeforchange – protest about things that we could actually change

• 10 Transfer Sage // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM

scitoon

I think it’s logical to believe we can win, we do have goals in the side which can come from anywhere and a very good keeper.

This isn’t enough to be consistent, we need more team play, but it does mean we will get some wins, even against the big boys and against the run of play.

• 11 NUFC_Harvey // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Krul///
    debuchy/Willo/Mbiwa/Haidara(fit?)
    Anita Tiote
    Cabs
    Marv/Remy/Gouff

Depending on fitness, I think that’s how we should line up for City

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Geordieboy,
    What he does with SD is none of my concern unless its success was beneficial to us, but on the contrary it seems our standing has suffered immensely to promote his other interests, and I’m not just talking about the free advertising, there has to be a lot of other goings on to see our revenues fall so far behind, are Spurs really 50M pound better supported than us

• 13 Rotonda heights // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Ash is really only good at retail. He even tried Hollywood and film making but that was a disaster too.

I hate the fact I need some new trainers and boots and will probably go to sports direct!!

The sad thing is if Ash only surrounded himself with some proper football people and not some washed up drinking pals he could yet turn things around but he is so stubborn that aint going to happen.

• 14 Transfer Sage // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM

mindshaft

What I want if ashley does stay.

- not more money…doesn’t worry me

I want
    - a proper DF
    - a proper MD to get us the best possible commercial deals
    - a manager suited to the players
    - restructure the academy to work get more out of it

That would work for me, it’s all changes that could be made and wouldn’t cost a fortune either.

• 15 mindshaft // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM

who is voting for a draw – The game has to be settled tonight, there cannot be a draw – games goes to pens if score even after extra time

• 16 catchy in norway // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Geordie boy

OGS is a fantastic manager ,

firstly he plays football , the ball is on the ground most of the time, his teams are as pardew puts it on the front foot , the players play for him, he got found out a little bit early this season , had a shocking start, but in the back end of the season , molde have been the form team

he is good with the press , he comes across as very humble ,

he took a team that was in fashionable that had not won the league in 101years and won it 2 times in a row

for me he knows the premiership inside out , has a huge network in the uk , is a born winner

for me , he is the right man,

• 17 mindshaft // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM

@TS – yup I agree with those changes as well, easy for Ashley to implement – still think we need to ditch chavland advertising in order to enhance the image of the club – nobody wants to be associated Wonga or Sports Direct, well maybe poundland or some pr0n site

• 18 Transfer Sage // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM

minshaft

still could be a draw..win on penalties technically is a draw.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Scitoon,
    It would let people know that its not just a small minority wanting change, I’m not sure what your views on Ashley are but don’t tell me sending an e mail that took three minutes to write is pointless.

• 20 Transfer Sage // Oct 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM

mindshaft

I don’t think they help the club, not sure how much they hinder us…really couldn’t put a percentage on that. I don’t know enough on it.

I might start a protest group not to get ashley out but for him to amend his policy and work much better with fans as well as structure the club in a better way.

• 21 Transfer Sage // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

but doubt i will as i just want him out

• 22 geordieboy83 // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Catchy

He sounds the ideal fit to be fair then and it would be interesting to see how he could do with better quality players at his disposal

JFA

Yeah true mate was just saying we can’t say he’s not a good business man that’s all. What we can say is he’s a mediocre footy club owner. I don’t think spurs are 50m a year more attractive than us no. I may sound thick here so sorry, but with spurs being in London would that impact there revenues I.e sponsors paying lied for advertising in London etc?

• 23 martoon // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM

catchy in norway @16 – I don’t always agree with you but I have to say you make a strong case for OGS. However realistically do you think he would be willing to come here and be our manager and more importantly would he be the type MA would employ?

• 24 Transfer Sage // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

martoon

not sure on OLG..he turned down villa before they appointed Lambert, so not sure we would appeal to him.

But after winning the league two years I think he has had a modest/poor season? am I right catchy? not 100% on that.

So if thats the case we might tempt him.

• 25 scitoon // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Jail – Im not pro-ashley and other than the apparent financial stability i certainly don’t agree with how he is running nufc. Some form of supporter run coalition would maybe be better but it’s implementation will never happen. As for sending an email to the journal, i think they are already aware and will be writing anti-ashley pieces after this latest journalist ban. Not a question of time to write an email, i just don’t see the point in emailing my thoughts to the papers. If a million of us write our discontent and march on SJP, do you honestly think change will happen. Shared public opinion, generally, gets you nowhere.

• 26 catchy in norway // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

right now I think we really have a realistic chance of getting him, like i said , the Norwegian season finishes soon, so it’s not like he is walking out half way through the season

our squad is filled with god players that just need moulded , there is plenty of ability in it,

he is used to working with a tighter budget than we normally have and does well

most owners in football are the same, not every club has a multi billionaire owner,

• 27 ToonDarnSarf // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Agree. T4C have totally the wrong agenda, despite their pre-protest comments indicating that they had it right.

Pointless demanding Ashley to leave unless here is a potential buyer.

We should have a proper DoF but we’re stuck with JFK for now because Ashley wants someone he trusts in that role. We shouldn’t have Wonga as a shirt sponsor but we’re stuck with them too. The time to protest against that was straight away (like Bolton did) but people just whinged for months instead. And we should be looking at ways of generating more commercial revenue.

Sadly, it’s going to be tough to do the latter when there’s so much turmoil at the club, we’re hardly an amazingly attractive brand right now.

• 28 spitfire_ // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM

It’s funny how after 2-2 against Pool above 70% was for win against the scum… now after the loss…

Too much optimism is bad for this football club at this point.

• 29 scitoon // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Just can’t see Pardew being sacked and OGS being hired. We are currently mid table, we will finish mid table. That is what MA wants. Why would he now show ambition and risk it all by aiming for a place in Europe when he has clearly stated that “survival” is paramount. Pardew will deliver “survival”, nowt more.

• 30 fatman // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM

• 31 geordieboy83 // Oct 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Catchy

You would think Ashley would be keeping an eye in the situation. He’s hardly gunna cost the world to release from his contract, would jump at the chance to manage in England and I’d imagine have the respect instantly if players and fans alike.

• 32 Malta Mag // Oct 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM

It’s always baffled me when people slag Ashley off for not showing ambition? He was ambitious enough to buy the club and in my opinion has in fact shown a lot of ambition within certain restraints as he is not of the same financial standing as the Man City’s and Chelsea’s of this world. I always feel the club is on a steady climb but if you have the rose tinted glasses of the Keegan era then it’s never going to match up.
    My biggest criticism of him is his total lack of communication with the media and fans which has left everyone infuriated. He’s made some mistakes for sure but I really think if he’d open up more the fans could still find it in themselves to forgive. By alienating the media though I think he’s doing himself no favours. I think he will eventually sell up but whoever comes in will find a club that is financially stable unlike before and I only hope the next owners don’t turn out to be the poisoned chalice because as the saying goes “it’s sometimes better the devil you know………”

• 33 70TWO // Oct 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM

If there is anything to be learned from the derby, it is that the favourites don’t always come out the winners. Close down the midfield, throttle the forwards and apply pressure on defensive weaknesses. Every team has a chance if they play together, for the benefit of each other and believe in themselves to score.

previous post: We Didn’t Deserve That – We Should Have Done Better