Newcastle vs Manchester City – Match Preview

nufc emblemmanchester-city-crest

It’s the first home game after we lost to Sunderland on Sunday, and last season after we were beaten by Sunderland, we lost 6-0 against to Liverpool in our next home game, so let’s hope we do a lot better than that tonight – that;s a minimum requirement tonight.

Newcastle have some injured defenders, and both Steven Taylor and Fab Coloccini are still out injured,  and will probably also miss the league game at home to Chelsea on Saturday, and their injuries seem to expose a weakness in the Newcastle squad in central defense – well at least that’s what we think.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is available after serving his one match suspension for his red card against Liverpool, and it looks like he will partner the dependable Mike Williamson in defense tonight.

Alan Pardew will be resting some players,  as he gives a chance to some of our fringe players, and this is what Alan said about the team he will play tonight:

“I do not think I am taking a risk by resting players. When you see the team, you will see it is a strong team, a physical team.” “I think when you play City you need to have good energy on the pitch because they work you as a team.”

“We had an emotional and physical game on Sunday and I think regardless of whether this was a Cup or Premier League game, I would be resting a couple for this game purely because of that.”

It’s difficult to know exactly what side the manager will play, although we know that Vurnon Anita and Papiss Cisse will definitely play tonight.

Here’s a side that Pardew could turn out tonight:

Krul
Debuchy Williamson Yanga-Mbiwa Dummett
Tiote (c) Sissoko Anita
Gouffran Cisse Marveaux
Subs: Elliot Santon Cabaye Ameobi (Sh) Obertan Ben Arfa Ameobi (Sa)

Some changes to that side could be Elliott in goal for Krul, and we’re still not sure of the status of Jonas Gutierrez, who may even start this game.

On Sunday 71% of Geordie fans expected Newcastle to beat Sunderland, but for tonight’s game only 15% of fans expect us to win the game and get through to the quarter finals of the Capital One Cup, and the betting on the game also heavily favors Manchester City.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Newcastle definitely need some good results in the next few games, but unfortunately we are up against top sides in City, Chelsea and Tottenham, so it will not be easy.

But it’s certain that a win tonight and a place in the quarter finals when the draw is made immediately after the game, would be a huge tonic to Newcastle fans.

And that’s exactly what we all need after a second successive defeat against Sunderland, and Mike Ashley doing some daft things again, like banning the local journalists from the media facilities at St. James Park,  and the Benton Training grounds.

That’s another no win situation the Newcastle owner has created for himself,  and another dumb decision from Mike Ashley.

We are hoping Newcastle can get past City tonight,  to help lift the spirits of the Newcastle fans, but it’s going to be very difficult.

• JackButler

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM

So Shola fancies an upset tonight…………….bless him

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

JB…Well, to be fair, an upset is the best we can hope for tonight.

• Yohan Kebab

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM

next league game we should drop sissoko for anita, having 4 capable cms for 3 places means good rotation when players are out of form, sissoko has been little short of useless lately

glad to see tiote/debuchy coming into form though

• JackButler

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Ibiza

It’s beyond an upset that’s needed. It a bloody miracle we need.

• catchy in norway

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM

no matter what the starting 11 is

we will play on the front foot,, or does he mean back foot because he is backwards???

hmmmm

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM

JB…Let’s just hope it’s not an upset for Ashley , imagine how the bloke will feel if we manage to get through?

• Belfast

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM

How can you draw a cup game with no replays ?? I’m curious….

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Belfast…What have I told you about talking with the grown ups? 🙂

• Belfast

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Hello Ibiza

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Hello sweetie, how’s tricks?

• Belfast

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

There is no draws like, just stating the obvious lol

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Aye, I know 🙂

I suppose it could have been expanded to

Win (after extra time)
    Loss (after extra time)

and then the same for penalties.

Heck, I’m just going to vote for a draw and make my peace with being wrong!

• Belfast

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Tricks are good this end. What about your end ?

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Weather is turning, people are leaving…at least it’s footy season!

• Belfast

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Yeah but if it’s 0-0 after 90 minutes and we score in extra time and win 1-0, did we win or did we draw ?? 🙂

• Ciaran

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Probably old news by now, but strong rumours that Llambias is to take a directorial role at Rangers. Could indicate that Ashley is setting up for when he inevitably buys them outright.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Belfast…I can only think of one man smart enough to answer that.

Does anyone have Kinnears number? Failing that, any other top managers number, as surely they’ll have his?

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Ciaran…Saw that on twitter earlier. Seen nothing else mind.

Certainly points to an exit. Fingers crossed.

• t00ntime

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Is marv even still a Newcastle player? havent seen him on the bench or AP even mention him for a while now. Also not a very physical player so I cant see him playing. Think it will be an old classice AP 442.

IMO our team and why:
    GK- Krul – Cant see him wanting a rest, needs to get back in to #1 for the dutch squad, he’ll be doing his best to keep elliot on the bench imo

RB- Debuchy – have no one else

CB- Willamson – no one else and hasnt been to bad recently tbf

CB – Mbiwa – Have no one else

LB – Santon – He doest usually mind playing 2/3 times a week and was one of our better offensive players VS safc. Which probably says more about the attacking players than him…

RM – Gouffran – A normally hardworking player, think he’ll play the first 60 mins atleast. Wont be too tired, didnt touch the ball in the weekend

CM – Tiote – After all the hate he got he has been good lately MOTM last 2 games and captain, surely got too stay in.

CM – Anita – deserves a go and AP has said he will likely play

LM – Sammy – not a big fan but AP likes him and Dummet so I woulnt be suprised to see either start (dummet instead of santon)

ST – Cisse – with him being our only ‘ok’ striker, he will definitely start. AP said a physical side which means hba wont be playing upfront (maybe on the wings but cant see it either)

ST – Shola – Just something about the build up tells me shola will play

So changes been Shola, Cisse, Sammy, Anita, Mbiwa.
    (dummet LB and Elliot GK might also be changed)

5/7 changes

• Belfast

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Well I like Rangers so hope he doesn’t go there.

Think their fans have had enough shit already without Ashleys mob turning up.

They should buy a football club in timbuktu or somewhere similar.

• Zangwill_Ho

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Really hope we lose, then can concentrate on PL

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM

t00ntime….Seems a likely set up for tonight.

Belfast…I think it’s too late for that mate, Rangers are in his sight.

Being completely selfish, I don’t care as long as he’s off our door step.

• Ciaran

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Belfast

Really hope Rangers get back into Scottish top flight, it hasn’t been worth watching since they were taken out of it. The standard was generally rubbish even with Rangers in it, but there is something about an Old Firm game that is just magic. Best derby in UK football bar none.

As for Ashley, it would appear that Rangers is his next stop. Seriously can’t see the Glaswegians putting up with half of what he had to deal with.

• martoon

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Zangwill_Ho – Sorry but you can’t claim to be a NUFC supported and hope they lose whatever the circumstances.

And ED according to NUFC.COM Jonas is still in Argentina – I asked this morning if anybody knows why?

• DokToon

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

ibiza @ 17,

spit coffee at that, well said 🙂

• Belfast

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Well I’m offski.

Lets hope for a draw tonight !! 😉

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

martoon…The only thing I can see from Jonas is about Eminem. Maybe he’s become a groupie?

Dok…Sorry to hear about your wasted coffee 🙂

Belfast…Missing you already. I have my fingers crossed for that draw!

• Graeme

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Belfast, you leave Timbuktu out of this, its a lovely place and has done absolutely nothing to deserve you wishing the rotund one upon them.

There is a really nice horse racing track there as well!!

• Graeme

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Ibiza – Look at the bigger picture mate, Rangers – just a stepping stone: Independance is on the cards, they will need a potentate soon!!!! Who better than MA to offer his services as the Man from Rangers!!!

The poor old sweaties wont know what hit them!!

• DokToon

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM

better yet, snend him to timbukthree, its a paradise..

ibiza, nevermind the coffee, its the monitor thats fcuked 🙂

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Graeme…There’s an even bigger picture? Let me put my glasses on.

Dok…Nevermind the coffee? What sort of a statement is that? I thought you knew what you were talking about.

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM

if you put a bet on the match a draw is an outcome after 90 mins so its a legitamate question prob should have been worded will we win the tie

• DokToon

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM

ibiza,

im american, im clueless about this sport you all keep on about, where you dont use hands….

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Dok…Being an American is no reason to value a computer monitor over coffee 🙂

• Jarra

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM

This season has really dampened my spirits this season, time after time I am finding it difficult to get excited before the match. I feel the club has just drained me recently and I hate feeling this way.
    Anyone else feel the same, where has the heart and soul gone from our club.
    Before I get called negative and a doom and gloom merchant, believe you me I bleed black and white and am gutted watching this dross then hearing the drivel that comes out of the manager and players after.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Jarra…I hear you loud and clear. That was the turning point for me. When you can see your fellow fans completely drained of any excitement or hope then what are you left with?

What a shambles.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Evening lads!

How are we all feeling today?

I can see someone have turned a rock and out came Ibiza 😉

• DokToon

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM

jesper,

the rock is there still, its ibiza dressed up for an early halloween 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Dok…haha 🙂

…so what’s this I hear about you wasting good coffee?

• Rotonda heights

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Ibiza

We may occasionally have our differences but generally I think you are a bit of a shrewdy. Do you genuinely feel there are signs of an exit on the cards? I must admit the Llambias news went under my radar.