This Player Could Not Have Done Any More – He’s Been Terrific

Cheick Tiote has probably been playing some of his best football at Newcastle since he was signed from FC Twente in the summer of 2010 for just £3.5M.

cheick tiote

Cheick Tiote – in terrific form at the moment

And maybe one of the reasons that Cheick is playing at or near his best, is that he has been pushed by 24 year-old Dutchman Vurnon Anita for his first team place.

And since Colo has been out injured Cheick has taken over the captaincy and he has done a very good job of that too, leading by example and on Sunday against Sunderland he was easily the best Newcastle player on the field.

Manager Alan Pardew is clear that Cheick has been playing so well for the side:

“I was hoping for a more controlled Cheick with the captaincy and for him to lead by example.”  “He could not have done any more. I think he has been absolutely terrific in the last three games.”

“I had to leave out a good player for Cheick in Vurnon Anita. He was playing well. I am very pleased with him.”  “Sunderland made it a real fight and we had to win back the right to play, which we did towards the end of the first half.”

“To win that battle, we needed Cheick to be at his very best. He turned the tide a little bit.”

If we have any chance of winning against Manchester City tonight, and the prospects do not look good, then both Cheick Tiote and Vurnon Anita will need to be playing at or near their very best.

What do you think?

• fatman

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Cheick Tiote

Over rated should have jailed him

• fatman

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM

st joking about the jail bit.

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

i misread that as jail bait haha

• mattnufc

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Hasn’t been overrated in his last few games, he’s been terrific.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Right to put him back in the squad but imo wrong to drop Anita, sissoko has been absolutely shocking lately

• DokToon

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM

agree tads, 100%

• JackButler

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Tiote was always gonna come back into the side at the first oppertunity with Anita making way. Some players are simply beyond being dropped as proven with Sissoko continuing to be selected despite being shocking so far this season

• lesh

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Now then Mr Ibiza.

Your absence has been noted and your explanation had better be good!

Bikini spotting elsewhere’s acceptable.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Tiote did nothing but frustrate me in the derby match! If he’s the best we had on the pitch it shows how low our standards are now thwse days. Tiote’s passing was dreadful all game and he had me constantly yelling at him to pull his socks up.

Is it that fcuking hard for our players to understand this; PASS AND MOVE PASS AND MOVE PASS AND MOVE FFS!!!

Our movement on the pitch is statuesque we barely flinch once we’ve passed the ball leavin us with no options and the opposition having a laugh.

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM

My question here is can Anita make an impact? He’s neat and tidy but whet mire does he offer? I agree he should be ahead of sissoko on form however

• Ibizatoon

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Lesh….Which absence is this then? The one since the game which I shall not mention?

Just biding my time and enjoying other aspects of life…well trying too anyway.

PPB…I would say Anita is a player that facilitates playing on the “front foot”. He ties it all together. Saying that, he isn’t a player to throw on to close a game or to chase one, so really should be starting imo.

• JackButler

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Anita is the only.midfielder we have who is capable of actually completing a pass to a team mate. Most right him off because of his stature but then Sissoko is hardly productive. Pity he’s not on Pardews friends list as that seems the best way to get selected consistantly

• Assam Toon

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM

just read that shola ameobi has fancied an upset over man city. man city…with a bench of dzeko, navas, rodwell, lescott, milner, garcia etc. what is he talking about? he can bet a few quids quietly if he wants but to claim we can beat them! pardew does the same often and then gets clobbered…

• catchy in norway

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM

no matter what the starting 11 is

we will play on the front foot,, or does he mean back foot because he is backwards???

hmmmm

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

When I start to see iur players passing the ball and moving into space then I could start to see aome progress. Right now we can’t ecen do the basics let alone consistently.

• lesh

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Ibiza @ 11

Whoops, got a bit carried away, inspired by the clubs junta and its considered and proportionate way of assessing fans’ behaviour. I’ll endeavour to do what Ashley and his colleagues have not done – please accept my knee-jerk and ill-considered reaction to a myopic assessment of the situation.

I trust you enjoyed your short chill-out – I wonder whether Ashley and his clones (or is it clowns?) might benefit from a short break from things – say 30 years at least?

• deanrobert7

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Can I just say that I have been reading your blog off and on for a couple of years now and I have got to say most of the time you write complete rubbish.Have you not heard the saying “less is more” I sometimes wonder where you get your information from its so bad. Heres a thought why don’t you write say one well thought out piece a day instead of your usual drivel. or better still concentrate on american sports and leave football to people who understand it.