The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

The Newcastle Midfielder With Enormous Potential

10:22 am, Friday, November 1st, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 41 Comments

It’s probably  a little unfair to be too critical of any of the five French players who arrived last January, because as we’ve found out in the past it takes time for them to settle into the Premier League, and what usually happens is that they play well and then have a poor game – it’s inconsistency and that’s what’s happened to some extent all five players we brought in last January, with one exception possibly being Yoan Gouffran.

Motherwell v Newcastle United - Pre Season Friendly

Moussa Sissoko – a player with enormous potential

One player who has looked excellent but has been inconsistent this term is Moussa Sissoko, who on his day looks almost like a world beater with his strength and power in the middle of the field.

Moussa had a strong game on Wednesday night, and played out wide, and Alan Pardew has talked about the 24 year-old today:

“I still think he can be the player we saw against Chelsea last season but I understand why people are asking questions,”  “He’s had a chequered start where he’s been fantastic in some games.”

“I thought he was brilliant on Wednesday night. When you look at the modern Premier League, the likes of Man City, Chelsea and Spurs have such great power, height and athleticism.”

“I would consider myself a big central midfielder when I played in the 90s. But now I’d be a small central midfielder. Moussa has all the ingredients of a modern midfielder, he’s powerful, he’s strong and he’s got that attacking ability.”

“The only thing he’s getting wrong at the minute is getting used to the Premier League and different environments when teams drop off or put us under pressure. He needs that experience. He’s going to be a big player for this football club.

“Through thick and thin I’ll stick by him because I know it’s in there.”

Moussa has played 28 times for Newcastle with three goals and five assists and 12 times for France.

And the former Toulouse midfielder could well become an excellent player for Newcastle, but he still needs more games to settle down in the Newcastle side.

Moussa was the star man in the home fixture against Chelsea last season,  when we came back from 2-1 down and Moussa scored two goals in those last 22 minutes to dramatically win the game for Newcastle.

It would be great if the same thing can happen tomorrow, and Newcastle get an unlikely win, and while that seems very unlikely, I’ve been wrong before – so there’s always hope. :D.

Tags: Coaching · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Premier League

41 responses so far ↓

• 1 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

First!!!!!!!!!

• 2 Ibizatoon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM

You’ve scared everyone away with your counting game.

Relax people and say it with me.

First, second, third…

We’ll pick this up again, same time next week?

• 3 JackButler // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Moussa can be a great player for us if used in the right way the question is? Where is he going to play where he can regain some form and show everyone the type of player he really is.

• 4 Our Toon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Repost

Ibizatoon,

I think Anita does pull the strings in Mid along with Cabs, we need players that are comfortable on the ball and make quick passes. Shame we had to put him on at left back on Wednesday after the injuries!! Cost us the first goal with the little trick he tried (zabeleta pinched the ball) I think Gouffran is a better option off the bench rather than starting games!!

• 5 Ibizatoon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

JB…RW?

Ourtoon (Repost)…Agreed on Gouffran, but the lad is one hell of a grafter.

Give Pardew another year with him and we’ll have our new Jonas! Hoorah the crowd roared!

• 6 Graeme // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Ibiza, cheers mate, got there in the end – I sussed your safeguard to stop too many fans accessing a forum for fans they thouldnt be reading!!

• 7 jayphoto // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Makes me laugh people blame for Pardew for sissokos form! He was the same player for toulouse ! Would have 2 or 3 barn storming games then be anonymous for 5 games! Thing is when hes good, hes actually brilliant! If a manager could coach that consistency from him hed be world class but so far no france or toulouse manager before pardew has managed that!

• 8 Rainrix // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Ah theres that double standard again pards.

• 9 Our Toon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Jack,

Maybe if we played Sissoko in a DM position we might get the best out of him, he was getting rave reviews at Toulouse, I even remember the French Manager having a chuckle at the fact he was being used as a number 10 last season!! Now he’s played on the wing, classic case of a manager who has no idea of his best team, formation, or even his squad

• 10 Ibizatoon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Graeme…You are a wise one. However, I feel you may know too much. Watch yourself, these are dark days.

Jayphoto…Interesting to know. It is quite easy to let general frustration take over and just point fingers everywhere about everything.

• 11 Rainrix // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Sissoko i fell a bit sorry for, he’s being asked to play in every position apart from the one he wants to be in. Obviously going to affect his form a bit.

• 12 Scottiedog // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Would rather have Anita start.

• 13 JackButler // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Ibiza

Don’t see him as a right winger tbh mate, think he’s more effective in the Nolan type role as a box-to-box player

• 14 geordieboy83 // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Ibizatoon

To be fair yeah I think Anita helps move the ball well but I’m just not convinced yet he’s got that killer pass in him. In Cisse first half a season the thing I remember was cabaye ability to do a slide rule pass onto cisse’s run & he didn’t need to break stride . Swansea away and stoke at home are best examples.

Sissoko will be a monster of a midfielder there is no doubt

• 15 Our Toon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Jayphoto,

Please tell me when Toulouse played Sissoko on the right wing? or as a number 10, in the hole? Facts speak for themselves!!

• 16 JackButler // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Our Toon

Agree mate he is wasted when he’s played out wide or as a No#10, same as Cisse’s wasted as a lone target man or out wide

• 17 Ibizatoon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

JB…Sorry, I thought my sarcasm would be obvious :)

Geordieboy….I can see that. Cabaye has picked out some killer offensive passes in the past.

• 18 JackButler // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Ibiza

Sarcasm?……………….You?……………………..surely not?

• 19 geordieboy83 // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Ibizatoon

The question now is why aren’t we playing to that strength anymore.

• 20 geordiemark // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

ive noticed sossiskos form flying out the window id try him upfront but tucked in the way ben arfas been playing last 2 games, I remember when we signed macdonald he was a full back with luton joe harvey said naa son your a striker and he never looked back

• 21 Ibizatoon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM

JB..I know mate, shocker. When will the madness end?

• 22 Belfast // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I see Ibiza and Butler have escaped from the zoo again.

Sissoko has been crap for weeks. Anita should be starting ahead of him in my opinion.

• 23 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Belfast

From Zoo to the Circus that is Newcastle

• 24 Ibizatoon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

geordieboy…Because it results in us doing well and people get over excited and start talking about ambitious targets and stuff.

Honestly.

• 25 JackButler // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Belfast

Got your carer type post you again I see!………….who said the NHS doesn’t provide a world class service :D

• 26 geordiemark // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I just think with sossokos height he could cause no end of problems for defenders and I reckon cissie would benefit from it a no amiobi done that v man city but i reckon sossoko could be more lethal up top

• 27 Ibizatoon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

JB…Are you Yoda?

Belfast…Zoo? That’s a big word for this time of day mate.

• 28 JackButler // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Ibiza

Lol trying to have a conversation with my daughter while typing make’s me sound like him though :D

• 29 Ibizatoon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

JB… :)

• 30 wolfshead@toon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

jay

dont be posting facts on here nobody wants to read them any player that perform has obviously been through the pardew anti skill course haha

• 31 Belfast // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

No I’m of the tablets and better again, so my carer was deemed surplus to requirements, bless her.

• 32 wolfshead@toon // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

doesnt*

• 33 RONNIE147 // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

See pardumb already getting his excuses in for Chelsea game! He’s unbelievable if he got done for drink driving he’d blame it on the barman!

• 34 JackButler // Nov 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

wolfshead

Don’t you find it strange how a players form just seems to disappear after a few months of being under Pardew’s tutelage?

• 35 elpaso_geordie // Nov 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Like most players at the toon he is AVERAGE with great games once in a blue moon …
    Sadly doesn’t help we have a below average manager trying to improve him

• 36 walton1984 // Nov 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Yeah maybe he is a good player Pardew, but again on Wednesday night, Cisse aint a Winger, Sissoko aint a out wide player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLAY THEM WHERE THEY ARE MENT TOO PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Also we had 4 central Midfielders on the pitch at one point!!!! WHY (yeah i know Anita went too Left back but before that we have 4 playin)

• 37 Our Toon // Nov 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Wolfshead

What was the fact that was pointed out? I’m confused….We all know Sissoko hasn’t played well but the reasons are clear as day my friend! Any player played out of position will not perform week in week out, same happened with Rooney at Man Utd, now he plays where he does his best work and is flourishing (shame his manager is negative and defensive)

• 38 Rooster // Nov 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Sissoko, the man with the mysterious injury at the end of last season???? I personally think the lad could be a really good player but our manager cannot possibly get the best out of him as has been shown, we have plenty of talent in the team for sure, but we have to bring it to the top, dare I say Debuchy is starting to show what he can do in a positive way, on Sissoko from what I have seen so far it is a kid with great potential but a kid who dosnt want to know when your in the trenches.

• 39 Jeff from Benwell // Nov 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Geordiemark@20
    You see this is why everything bloggers say should be taken with a pound of best Saxa.
    MM was a NOTED striker at Luton Town.

• 40 chuck // Nov 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Have to agree Sissoko has the potential to be either another Viera or Ya Ya Toure.
    However his problem is not getting used to playing in the PL, it’s having an idiot clueless manager in Pardew.

• 41 The next Mike Williamson // Nov 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

maybe the day of getting away with being strong and athletic and looking good have gone

its no good being strong when teams just pass it around you

previous post: Nothing Much Wrong With This Newcastle Player