Amazing Stats Of Sunderland’s Last 16 League Games

Is it true that Newcastle fans tend to go over board when we get a good result like against Chelsea on Saturday, and do the same thing if we get a bad result, like at Sunderland a week last Sunday for instance?

Of course it is.

Newcastle United v Chelsea- Barclays Premier League

Alan Pardew after the great win on Saturday

And Alan Pardew had again brought up the fact that fans need to be more measured in their responses to games, win draw or lose – well its a nice thought,  but it’s never going to happen. 😀

I’ve had messages saying I’ve over-reacted to the Chelsea win, and I’m sure there’s some truth in it.

But it’s wins like against Chelsea that keep us going for a few weeks (or even months),  so when we do get a good win we’re going to celebrate it.

This is what Alan Pardew has said today:

“Hopefully. But we always get a bit carried away when we get a good result. We’re nicely poised in mid table. I’d like to think we could have had three more points, if I’m honest.”

“But the points total we have is nicely poised to attack the top and that’s what I hope we’ll do.”  “I think it is great for Newcastle. We’ve had a lot of criticism but all we want is to grow the club.”

The thing is when we have a poor result, we should try to keep an even keel, and we’ve tried to do that (a bit) this season, but hey that was hard to do when we were beaten by a very poor Sunderland side, who had one point from their first eight league games.

I  talked to my friend Peter yesterday, and he was born and bred in Sunderland, and is now over here in Raleigh after we joined IBM almost on the same day back in 1970, and he was worried by their defeat against Hull City on Saturday and that two of their players would  be banned for three matches.

And Peter ended by saying – you know it’;s a pity we cannot play Newcastle every week.

And since we played Sunderland in April and including that game, Sunderland have now played 16 Premier League games, drawn 3,  lost 11 and won two – both against Newcastle – so of their 9 points gained in their last 16 league games, six of those were against Newcastle. 🙁

But certainly they seem to have our number at the moment, and even if Sunderland don’t win another game before our next meeting in February, don’t think they cannot get their third win in row.

That’s going to be the Newcastle challenge at St. James Park against Sunderland in February –  we must beat them in that next game.

• wolfshead@toon

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM

tuff

me and rover have tea at 4pm every afternoon with the pixies and fairies at the bottom of my garden 🙂

• Rainrix

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Lets be honest every group of fans overreact to defeats and wins the same way most sets of fans are happy to overhype a player after one good performance or write one off after a bad performance. Hardly like this is a problem thats unique to newcastle.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM

It’s not good losing back to back derbies but life goes on, lets beat them at our place in February, and hopefully be well ahead of them in league.

ED – Tell Peter not to worry, there manager had them play well with only 9 men in the second half, got them to do some good stuff, limit hull and almost snatch a goal themselves to get a point. Think poyet will have them safe.

• JackButler

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Hull and Sunderland should have seen us with 6 points more and who knows what would have happened if we had bothered to turn up at Everton and City?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Sorry lads, a response to Catchy from yesterday. It’s short and sweet…sort of…

Catchy…My apologies, you will have to discuss this with G2, but it wasn’t for a position within football.
    Where are we better? Seriously? Compared to last season you think we’ve gotten worse?
    Players – I’d say we have a decent squad with some great(ish) players. Certainly a squad that should comfortably be playing for top 10 football and having European ambitions.
    I don’t think there is much point in discussing Pardews tactics for the Chelsea game, as you will then just raise another game to counter the point, but what I will say is that a fair few of those players had played in the cup game against City, which will have taken some toll. Whilst the sit back in the first half approach could have been costly, using all of our energy early on could also have been a nightmare against a team full of world class players.
    Personally, I think we have seen more attempts to go for the second goal rather than just sit back. I do think think there has been an emphasis to keep the ball on the deck rather than hoofing (and this has been backed up by the stats).
    I would say that our players movement still needs a lot of work, but what I am saying is there have been signs of improvement. That doesn’t mean we’ve played well every game, there have been the normal disaster appearances.
    I get that you’re not a fan of Pardew and never will. He isn’t the most attacking of managers and he does play the numbers game. Truth is, he works for an owner who doesn’t want risk or entertainment to be the priorities, he wants mid-table and more or less, Alan can and will likely deliver that.
    I do see why Remy starts more on the left. It was that setup that worked so well for us with Ba after Cisse arrived. He’s still scoring goals from the position, so I can see why it was given a good run out.
    I agree that our CDM should cover the FB’s better, rather than it all being on the wingers. However, I don’t have a problem with expecting a more rounded performance from the wingers either. Defending as a team is sometimes needed, but it’s the way we break away that frustrates me. Usually only one or two players making a dash for it is hardly ever going to work.
    I think our movement is something that needs urgent work.
    I think there is more at play than just bad coaching, but it certainly a factor, probably even a large factor. However, it is noticeable that sometimes the players heads are just not in it. Like Cabaye last season for instance.
    It’s not really about being pro-Pardew for me anymore, I’d accept an upgrade, I just don’t think we’ll be getting one. I do see some positives in Pardew. Whilst many will criticise him for being an Ashley brown noser, do you think if a new manager didn’t toe the line he’d stay in the job? Under Ashley, the manager will always have a battle keeping everyone happy.
    If Ashley wanted more from his manager, then I honestly think he would have replaced him already. It would have been silly not to as he would simultaneously have got more fans backing as let’s be honest, a large proportion of fans would have been delighted to see Pardew gone at the end of last season.
    Anyway, enough rambling on. Can we do better than Pardew? Yes. Can we do worse? Yes.
    What irks me more than anything is that you can’t seem to see anything positive with Pardew at all. That simply cannot be rational or correct imo.

• cyprus

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM

JB,
    ‘IF’ all those, we’d be top of the league!

• Transfer Sage

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM

jack

suppose he might have though 6 points, hull and sunderland and not planned to get anything off chelsea.

so 3 more would be a good start and have us level with man utd.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

@ Sage

Why Start Shola over Anita ? .

We only started playing decent football in the second half and stopped kicking it long when he came off . Anita totally changed the game and drove us forward, should never have been dropped in the first place .

I agree with JB in using the 4-1-4-1 :

—————————–Tiote—————————–

–Sissoko——–Cabaye——–Anita——–Gouffran–

—————————–Remy—————————-

Tiote is playing well lately so deserves to be in the team, and Remy showed against Chelsea he is more than capable of a central role running at the oppositions defence .

I would still like to get HBA in the team somehow (maybe for Gouffran) but only if he shows he can work hard in defence as well as attack .

But at the minute I would keep the majority of the team that played in the second half at Chelsea with Tiote coming back into the team .

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Spurs aren’t scoring many lately and they are there for the taking and I think we can sneak a 1-1 draw or a 2-1 win .

Although knowing our luck we will probably get smashed 6-0 😉 .

• Mister Tuff

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM

wolfshead – you probably didn’t have to confirm your afternoon activities -I suspected correctly what you and Rover got up to.
    Could I suggest that to further your dreaming and fantasy experiences that after tiffin with the elves and pixies you and Rover should visit Narnia. All you have to do is climb into your wardrobe for the experience.
    (hopefully once you and Rover get into the wardrobe you will have locked yourself in -thus depriving you of internet access -please get into the wardrobe).

• Transfer Sage

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM

big pappa

I just think shola did well in the last 2 games, by no means a long term answer, we need a lukaku/benteke their but he occupies defenders to give remy and gouff more space.

• JackButler

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Sunday’s game will be telling as Colo is said to be back in training. After the way that Willo and Mapou have done in the last two game neither deserve to lose their place, even for a returning captain. We need to stick with the team and formation that turned Chelsea over

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Ibiza
    Leave off mate you can’t be posting that until people are on there lunch break and can dedicate there full hour to read it!

• Ibizatoon

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Big Pappa…I am now extremely nervous about the Spurs game.

Sunderland weren’t getting many points either…

It seems that when we expect nothing we do well, when we have a slight bit of faith, like after beating Chelsea, we implode.

Still, there is always hope and it’s only 90 minutes of football.

• stuart no9

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM

sorry ed- but iv’e got tp have a pop at you here,

First , you have got to get over that chelsea game . Its tuesday and you are STILL ranting on about . ITS OVER ED, That just shows how bad we are when we win a game in our ‘OWN LEAGUE’ and 4 days after it STILL IN SHOCK.

Second, in an earlier post , you are surprised fans are still having a pop at pards even though he got it right ‘ once’ against chelsea- ONE GAME , and all should be forgotton? not likely .- one season , maybe, not one game. ED i didnt realise you were so gullible and naive to think everything is ‘ok’ now – it isnt

• Ibizatoon

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Tads…Sorry mate, I just assumed people skip my posts anyway. I do 🙂

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

@ Sage

Shola is a decent player to have on the bench but for me Anita brings so much more to the team .

I was cringing watching Krul aim for Shola with every goal kick, and not only was it awful to watch it was ineffective as well .

I agree we need a big powerful Lukaku/Benteke like striker but one who is also Mobile and has decent pace .
    Not sure if Gomis is the answer though ? .

• martoon

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I can’t help thinking that by the time it gets to February the derby game could be the game that relegates the mackems (if we win). I know they beat us but I think they are a poor team along with Crystal Palace and certainties for relegation.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

jack

yeh it’s a good balance, big guy decent in air with smaller man who is more technical.

reminds me of how well perch and willo did together, especially in the 2-0 home win over liverpool. Willo handled carroll and perch had suarez

• Transfer Sage

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM

big pappa

i don’t like gomis either, watched a few of his games and highlights this year after the link and he is very very average and not that good in the air anyway.

I understand your point, and if we went with that team i wouldn’t be disappointed at all, have to wait and see what pards goes for on the weekend.

martoon

I think they have enough to stay up and will do under poyet, some good players in their, easily a match for the bottome 5/6 clubs i feel.

• JackButler

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Transfer Sage

The thing is that Pardew goes on about us being inconsistent but in order for us to move away from that we need a settled side, dropping some simply because Colo or Saylor are back to fitness is only going to compound what is hurting us.

We need to stick with what is working and not change things for the sake of it

• wolfshead@toon

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

tuff

aww dont be like that if i bother you i wont post to you anymore as long as you reciprocate x lol

• Ibizatoon

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

JB…Especially if it still looks like Colo is leaving. If we have something that is working without him, aren’t we best to continue with it?

• Transfer Sage

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

jack

exactly, especially in defence as a mistake there can mean 2 goal down where a mistake in midfield isn’t as crucial.

• JackButler

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Ibiza – Exactly mate, can’t see Colo being here past the summer and as for Saylor?……………..well the lads a liability in my eye’s. It’s an unlikely partnership but Willo and Mapou are affective together and compliment each other well and we need to stick with them, no need to fix what isn’t broken

• Ibizatoon

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

You do all realise that as we’re going on about CB’s and how good they are doing, Willo and MBiwa are near on guaranteed to screw up in spectacular fashion now 🙂

Colo and Taylor all the way…

• Rotonda heights

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It’s funny someone said football is a results business. I think we prove the exception to the rule as AP is still here.

The thing is we are all on a high after Chelsea but is it due to the law of averages that we had to beat a big team at some point or are we genuinely heading in the right direction?

I have never bought in to ”we don’t have the players.” They don’t all become bad or off form overnight.

It is unavoidably tempting to imagine these players under a Rui Garcia or similar type of progressive, modern, attacking, technical manager or can Pardew sitting in 9th place genuinely go to Spurs, now full of confidence (us, not Spurs) and get a result?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Rotonda…Agree with the sentiment, we need to see what comes next.

All I will say is that it is a results business, but not how you and I may perceive it. Perhaps a targets business is a better way to word it?

• JackButler

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Rotonda heights

Saturdays result was a welcome distraction for everyone from what has been a poor start to the season in regards of performances. The games we have lost this season are one’s that we simply haven’t turned up for i.e Everton, Sunderland and City. But does Saturday’s result mean we’ve turned the corner?

Team selection will decide that

• Transfer Sage

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

i don’t think saylor is a liability, think he is an average CB for the league, does a good job with the odd howler.

His major issue is staying fit.

• wolfshead@toon

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM

jack

i think pards along with the players only seem to get motivated when we play the ‘big’ teams they seem to have a careless attitude towards teams we should beat easily on paper?

• Mister Tuff

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

wolfshead -just pulling your leg.

• bills-son

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM

NUFC inconsistent – why?

In the first 10 games and the last 10 games of the 5th finish season we hardly changed the team or format. Result – consistency.

Last season we chopped and changed the team continually because of Europe, poor form from key players and a ridiculously high injury list + a few suspensions. Result – inconsistency.

This season we have chopped and changed the team and format trying to accommodate HBA and the poor form of Cisse + we’ve had five different CB partnerships in ten games. Result – inconsistency.

Pardew now needs to settle on a team with eleven players in form working together as a team. Result – hopefully consistency.

Simples.

• martoon

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

A bit quiet on here for a lunchtime?
    wolfshead – I think it is human nature to raise your game when playing a top team and be confident when playing a lesser team (like Chelsea did against us). Damn frustrating for us fans but that’s the beauty of football, especially in the premiership there are no certainties.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM

bills

that’s true, but good teams (and not necessarily bigger teams) who have a philosophy of playing can rotate and cope with injuries better.

We need to get better at dealing with change, ideally not make changes but over a season you will get injuries, suspensions and loss of form and you need to deal with that.

• Yohan Kebab

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM

it is a shame that our best TEAM is one without hba, but if that is the case so be it.

i would give him 1 game up top in a 442 with remy and then leave him out if he doesnt perform

pardew likes his wingers to be able to defend and both sissoko and surprisingly gouffran (who people forget is a striker by trade) do this for the team

• Yohan Kebab

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM

having said that, would i drop gouffran, remy, cabaye, tiote, sissoko or anita for HBA

currently, no

• jimmysmith

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM

No chance Mbiwa keeps his place once Colo is fit, and Tayls remains his most able deputy. Happy as I am to see the other two doing well, Tayls and Colo are our first choice centre backs when fit. The only thing that’s changed is Willo is back in from the cold while Mbiwa continues his learning curve. All good.

• Yohan Kebab

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM

willo and mbiwa must stay as our first choice partnership. not doing so would damage pards credibility. players performing well should stay in the team

• low fell mag

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Great time to be playing Spurs, as there not banging in goals since Gareth Bales departure.
    Take away the pathetic performance ,against that championship bound side down the road ,are last few games, Liverpool ,Man City and Chelsea have been a great improvement.
    So I see no reason why we cannot pick up, at least a point at White Hart Lane.