Newcastle Striker Target Staying Put

There were three strikers Newcastle were said to be interested in this January, one was Bafe Gomis of Lyon, and the other two were PSV Eindhoven striker Ola Toivonen, and Heerenveen’s 24 year-old striker Alfred Finnbogason.

Ola Toivonen psv_2673901

Ola Toivonen – likely to stay at PSV

We should probably cross Ola off the list,  since it seems that PSV may be able to persuade their striker to stay with them, and www.telegraaf.nl is reporting that PSV Technical Director Marcel Brands is confident Toivonen will stay at the Dutch club.

This is what Brands had to say today:

“I have no indication that he does not intend to sign. Otherwise, he would not let us wait so long. Why would he do that?” “Talks were agreed last week when Mino was in America,”

“We need to see if we will meet or speak by phone.”  That word deadline is not applicable. We have made the appointment, which Ola agreed would happen before he joins up with the national team.”

Mino is Toivonen’s agent Mino Raiola, so we’ll have to see if PSV can get a deal done to keep their Swedish International striker.

The news was that Ola was available for a cut price £2.5M, since his contract runs out at the end of June.

Bafe Gomis would be available for around £4M, which is less than half the price Newcastle agreed for the striker in August, but Joe Kinnear couldn’t get the deal done because of the excessive fees his agent demanded.

And Alfred Finnbogason was offered to Newcastle for £5M in the summer, and he would presumably be available for that same fee in January.

Those transfer fees are within the range that Newcastle can afford for players these days.

• Yohan Kebab

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM

with lewandowski off to bayern i think we should bust a nutsack to get mandzukic

if firorientina can get gomez theres no reason that this cannot happen

• yo-yo

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

On Benny

Surely he can be coached with his team mates to play quick one-twos with them instead of trying to dribble past his third or fourth defender (and losing the ball) ?
    His decision making really does need improving. When to shoot when to lay off a pass etc.,
    If he can do that he’ss be a well rounded player ( and worth a fortune to Mash 🙂 )

• JackButler

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

NUFC officials have now reported that there is a massive hole at the bottom of the barrel we’ve been scraping in to UEFA and FIFA

• JackButler

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

yo-yo

Are you asking for Pardew to coach a player to improve them 😉

• Graeme

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

If anyone is interested in where the money at NUFC has gone, there is a great article showing how far our Commercial Income has dropped since MA took over. Have a look at “The Mag” themag.co.uk

Newcastle United Financial Accounts – Where Has The Money Gone Under Mike Ashley?

• Ciaran

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Dear God Ed give up this bloody obsession with Toivonen, he’s terrible.

• JackButler

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

This is the striker Ashley shouldn’t bother signing 😉

• Ibizatoon

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM

We can’t miss this one.

Sell Cabaye, sell Benny, sell whoever, just make sure we don’t miss this lad.

So, what we discussing then?

• Sav

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Needs to be better than we’ve got.

• John Tudor

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

wheres the money gone
    wheres the money gone
    wheres the money gone…..
    far far away

• John Tudor

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM

last nite fat ash was singing a song
    oooh wooh cabeyes going cheap cheap

• Mister Tuff

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Ibiza @8 – you asked what are we discussing. I appreciate you’ve been off the blog for a while. How about this earlier post:-
    Ian Toon // Nov 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    Ibizatoon – I extend my hand across the great divide. Your not equipped for having to be miserable when we win!!!!!

Sounds a bit like a proposal – forgive me if I get the gist of this wrong but I now have a mental picture of the two of you dancing the night away at the Blue Oyster Club.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Tuff…All I will say is that there is no “great divide” inside the Blue Oyster Club.

Ian…Thank you, although I feel I should say that despite many fans being back to business, with regards to their criticisms of Ashley, I do believe most were extremely pleased with the result against Chelsea.

They are reluctant to get carried away that we have turned a corner and understandably so. This consistency debate hasn’t appeared out of thin air 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Ibiza…I see you now also cater to the notion that Benny is a luxury we cannot afford? 😉

….what are we really left with if we cannot afford so to speak such players? not something I wanna watch that is for sure lol

You need flair players if you want to push into the top 8 – and I want that badly. .and even though we are on form right now and getting results the midfield we field doesn’t really get my rocks off 😉

• Ibizatoon

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Jesper…Don’t you start! 🙂

It’s not even simply a reflection on Benny individually. But when considering, our manager, coaches, other players in the team and all of the other factors, then quite simply, we’re more balanced without Benny…as things stand.

As we don’t have the right set up, balance or whatever you want to call it, we find ourselves needing to compensate. Is that Bennys fault? No.

However, I will add, that whilst I don’t think Benny should be acting as a defender, I do think his overall play could use some work. Even some of the most technically brilliant players in the world graft for the team, this is lacking in Benny for me.

Anyone have any ideas to help out Jesper and getting his rocks off? 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM

and Tuff…let me say that a visit to the Blue Oyster Club is off the cards…they’re currently undergoing some refurbishment work…

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Some excellent blogging going on here I see. G’day mates. Danish Dazzler, The Spanish StudMuffin, El Tufterino, it’s good to see you all on here. A fine group of manly men indeed. JT I see you as well mate.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Spanish StudMuffin? Wow, what an honour.

I will be one proud manly man this evening, strutting my stuff with my hairy chest exposed.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Some strange events to report from Manly Men Inc. New employees with non-manly product concepts. The latest you ask? The Manly Snuggy for late night telly watching. Can you believe it? A real man such as myself sits in front of the telly in his boxers and T shirt, shivering but proud. Unbelievable.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM

G2…Outrageous! I hope you have taken the appropriate action and dealt with these new employees.

How they got through the interview process I have no idea.

This news has made me angry. I must go and vent. Perhaps smash a few things, you know, in a manly way.

Be back in a bit.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Now that’s a fine attitude Ibiza mate. Don’t forget to flare your nostrils though. Too much nose hair exposed that way you protest? A real man would just rip that out with his bare hands mate.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Ciaran,

Barton and Nolan loved the club so much they exited stage left for more money rather than buy in to receiving higher incentive payments for finishing top 7, which is ironic as we finished 5th the following season without them.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Benny has become a bit of an issue mates. Is he manly enough? I have been considering sending him some Manly Men products to inspire him. Free of charge of course. Well…. a small charge for processing and shipping. Seven euros. And he has to expose his chest hair after scoring. Yellow card be damned.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Yo yo

Steady on about suggesting 1-2’s !!
    Next you will be wanting triangles, overlapping and
    movement beyond the man with the ball !!

Not sure Pards has that in his coaching repertoire or
    psychology.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Mr. Tuff how are things proceeding with the production of your next video epic? We need more footage of manly men in action mate.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM

John Tudor have you been reading the article by Mark Jensen in The Mag about our finances? Ridiculous mate. We’re being left far behind in commercial revenue since Ashley came along. All of the other top clubs are rapidly increasing their commercial revenue while we head in the opposite direction.

• sweendog

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Yep but isn’t thus revenue low because sports direct get free ads

• yo-yo

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Rotonda

We have improved ball playing on the ground but it is still far too static for my liking, a lot of short pointless passes gets really tedious. When we have players like Anita who can pass and move, like for Saturday’s second goal, then that’s the way to go. With Benny he takes too much on – like play off your team mates and get the killer pass back and you’re more likley to score than by dribbling into cul de sacs – Yeh does sound a bit like a trafffic warden’s toddler.
    That weakness of vision is why Benny isn’t in the same class as the Latin ball players.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

That’s definitely one reason the commercial (non-TV) revenue is low sweendog mate. That would add 6-8 M pounds under normal (non-Ashley) circumstances but there must be other problems as well. We should be bringing in much more revenue but the club has actually lost ground drastically since Ashley took over. What a brilliant business man! Not.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Geordie Two – as Ibiza reports the Blue Oyster Club is currently closed due to refurbishment. I should stress I am not involved in the production of the videos but merely search the internet for “interesting” footage, to out, I mean to show manly men enjoying themselves in their “off duty” leisure time.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Ah harrumph. I see Mr. Tuff. So you are a manly middle man then? An important position also. Still I believe you are much more important to the corporation as a manly videographer mate. Think about it. Portraying manly men at their finest. Chest hair exposed, nostrils flared, etc etc.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Ibiza…mypoint is merely that we currently don’t have any flair players in our side and for me that is a worry 🙂

…I am proud and happy about our last two performances, but we will be back here soon discussing our inconsistency cause it won’t last – it is not build on a soid platform!

Now back to getting my rocks off – any ideas? 😀 lol

• Ibizatoon

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Right, I have managed to tame my rage.

G2…Pull out my nose hair? I let it hang proudly from my nostrils!

Yo-Yo / Rotonda…Do you think there is a possibility, that some of our more technical players are reluctant to pass the ball as much due to the fact they lack confidence in some of our other players? There have been times, granted not loads, where I have seen Benny try a pass, only to find the other player hasn’t made the run.

It is early days as far as us trying to play a more passing game, perhaps the movement of other players and greediness of HBA will improve when they get a better understanding and more confidence in each other?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Footy Humour ?@FootyHumour 25m

Want to win a signed #MUFC, #LFC or #RealMadrid Michael Owen shirt? Then register HERE >>> http://bit.ly/1aruQD9

“Footy Humour” says it all. Want to win something to do with Owen? Pfffttt.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

It was mentioned earlier on about the ongoing battle for worldwide supremacy between Sports Direct and Decathlon.
    Decathlon have over 500 outlets across Europe. It is well reported within fashion journals that SD have a five year plan to dominate the market in those countries using the Euro. (I suspect the SD five year plan will be more successful than the Toon’s five year plan).
    Tubbs retail success is going from strength to strength -there must be an advantage of repetitive (free) TV advertising.
    When Rangers return to the top league -with guarenteed CL games -this will provide some nice free Europe wide advertising.
    The evil Tubbs will dominate the world of tat clothing.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Danish Dazzler you have problems with your rocks mate? Have you been using all of your Manly Men video products properly? I think not. Stay proud. Stay manly Dazz.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Ibiza…you actually made a very good point there 😉 retorical question and the answer for those who are not sure is of course YES!

• Ibizatoon

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Jesper…This is Newcastle, of course we will be having this conversation again!

I get what you’re saying, however, talking about having a solid platform, I would say right now we should be favouring team work ethic rather than flair. Get back to basics and then tweak it from there.

I have no doubt that Benny will be re-introduced to the team soon. Hopefully some time on the sidelines will have fired him up.

Then it’s just down to what instruction the team are getting.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM

That is truly sinister Mr. Tuff. Cashley making another big move in Europe then? If he was in the manly man product business I would show him a thing or to. And none of it free either.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM

GT…you know manly men don’t read instruction manual 😉 lol