The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Youngster – I’m In Love With The Club

10:34 am, Thursday, November 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 119 Comments

20 year-old Gael Bigirimana played 25 times for the first team last season, in his very first season on Tyneside, after being signed for around £1M from Coventry City in the summer of last year.

Gael Bigirimana

Gael Bigirimana – fallen in love with Newcastle

There are about three weeks to go to the loan deadline, and we are hoping that a number of Newcastle’s younger  players are sent out on loan to get some first team experience, and one of them is Gael Bigirimana, one of our best young players at the club.

He’s made only one appearance so far this season, and the youngster has to get games, if he is to quickly improve on Tyneside.

Bigi was at a Show Racism the Red Card event at St James’ Park this week, and he says he has fallen in love with the club:

“I am in love with Newcastle now, every time I don’t make the squad I watch the game and I see how passionate the fans are, I want to be part of that.”

“If I want to be one of the top players at this club I need to get experience, I need to go on loan.”  “If this will make me a better player then I don’t mind.”

“But it’s so that when I come back,  I will be an even better player for Newcastle United.”

Good words there from the Burundi born player.

And with competition for places in central defense very stiff this season, maybe the best thing to do is to loan Bigi out to a Championship club for the rest of the season, and then in the summer he will be in a good position to challenge for a first team place at Newcastle.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Gael Bigirimana · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth

119 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Whenever this lad speaks you feel his passion, pride and determination. Seems to really have his head screwed on and if he continues to develop I feel we’ll have some player.

Keep it up Bigi!

• 2 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

english yeoman…if stats says it all then Simpson was the PL’s best right back when playing for us ;)

…remember There are lies, damned lies and statistics!

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Jesper..It was an amazing stat to be fair.

I know what you’re saying though.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Brits is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they’re okay, then it’s you.

• 7 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

jesper

it’s because people don’t use all stats

interceptions, tackles and goal line clearences are only part of the stats….they never included how man crosses he let come in, how often he showed people onto their strong foot, how often he got forward, did he assist, positioning in general, etc etc

people use 2/3 stats and take it as gospel

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I can prove anything by statistics except the truth.

• 10 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Jesper…On a roll today mate.

3 best friends? Hmm…

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

And finaly but not least:

Statistics are no substitute for judgment.

• 12 WWSBRD // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

When YC was dropped from my name GB was considered. I just adore this lad one of the very very few bright sparks of last season for me complete steal at 1 million

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Ibiza…Dok, GT and I are fine ;) soo…where does that leave you? :D lol

• 14 SeanNufc87 // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Settle down Jesper lol you will become a fortune cookie if you keep it up

• 15 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

jesper

stats are very very useful when used the right way, using the proper scientific method…had to do it myself at university.

but you need to use the right method to anaylse them, work out their significance at then test it…no good just using the data (what tv/journos call stats) , needs to be properly anaylsed

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Y=…who’s GB?

• 17 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Jesper…In the same position I was a little while ago. Knowing and accepting my mental state.

Not sure using fellow toon fans as a level of sanity is a smart way to assess things mate, probably worse than using stats. Anyone who supports this club is a little loopy at least.

• 18 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

YO…strike that one :D lol

• 19 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Sean @14…ha ha. Nice one.

• 20 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Jesper @13

Do statistics say you are fine.

• 21 WWSBRD // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Jesper
    Gael Bigirimana mate haha in theory that’s what we should be discussing but hey it’s hard to govern this blog ????

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM

SeanNufc87…those were the days when I had my fortune cookie of the day thingy on here ;)

• 23 WWSBRD // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Meant to be ;) not ???? Iphone problems

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM

HM…I am in here and a NUFC supporter, so probably not ;)

• 25 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM

“those were the days” – Isn’t that typically something an older person might say?

Just putting it out there…

• 26 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM

To quote Shelton Cooper:

“I’m not insane, my mother had me tested!”

• 27 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Jesper

Dr. Sheldon cooper.

Double PHD

• 28 The next Mike Williamson // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Bigi, Vuckic, Sammy, Campbell & Dummet desperately need to get out before they stagnate. Maybe Streete, Alnwick, & Goode too

• 29 Ciaran // Nov 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Good words from Bigi, if he’s fallen in love with the club in the state it’s in, imagine how much he’ll love it if we actually got Ashley out?

• 30 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Talking of Sheldon Cooper….

Hi Ciaran!

• 31 MiddxNUFC // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I have to admit I have a lot of love for Bigi, think he would have already come through at a Prem club with less options at CM, like Fulham or even a team like Swansea. Always seems to try his hardest, just a little hasty with passes some times, hope he goes out on loan and does well!

• 32 Ian Toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Ibizatoon – Back by Popular demand- Back to the future-eehm !!

I might even start reading your material again. You always are best as a free spirit- nothing Big Bang about it!

• 33 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Ian…Was I off your list then?

Please don’t misinterpret some of my changed views as me no longer being a free spirit. I have always formed my own opinions based on what is in front of me.

To be clear, I want the team to do will. I no longer have faith that Ashley really has the clubs best intentions at heart…other than of course he doesn’t want it to go bust or be relegated – as that helps no one.

Still, I’m always open to be proved wrong.

Full of confidence for our trip to London this weekend?

• 34 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM

or well*…the team can do will too…whatever that means :)

• 35 Ian Toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Interesting how so many Arsenal fans are now singing the praises of Arsene Wenger. A high percentage of whom only last season were calling for his head. The same people who were bemoaning the fact that they hadn’t won anything for 8 seasons.

I have always admired his singleminded style amidst hostility.

• 36 MiddxNUFC // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

My opinion on ashley has changed too, I think it really took this summer for me to see that he really doesn’t have ambition for the club. All I wanted was Scott Sinclair or Tom Ince! Show’s how he’s lowered my ambition too…shame on the man!

• 37 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Ian…I believe we’ve discussed Wenger in the past. I too admire the man and am really pleased to see Arsenal doing well this season. Would much rather they won things than Chelsea, Man U or Man C.

They mix both good football and good football business.

• 38 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM

ian

well wenger was getting the best from his current players…the only complaints were he didn’t buy.

He said he had money but i think that was to keep players happy and to stay, they really have been spending a lot to pay the stadium off.

• 39 wolfshead@toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

what does FM brigade mean?

• 40 MiddxNUFC // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

TS

Apparently they only needed one player, Ozil seems to have worked wonders for Arsenal!

Will probably hear soon that Graham Carr was scouting him 6 years ago then

• 41 MiddxNUFC // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

wolf

Football Manager Brigade

• 42 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Wolfs…F*kc*ng Mackems! Only joking, football manager, as in the game.

• 43 wolfshead@toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

@41/42

thanks

• 44 Ian Toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Ibizatoon – I am also going to the Spurs Europa game tonight with a work colleague. I always like our games in London because I try to make a weekend of it and stay with family.

I am confident we will continue to improve because we’ve got better balance in the team. There are certainly similarities to the season before last because a number of players have clearly defined disciplined roles. We generally looked better organised as a team. Individual defensive mistakes cost us 3 points against Hull and we were far the better side v mackems.

Sorry Jesper there is no place for HBA until he recognises his responsibilities to the team.

Last season we looked like getting at least a draw at Spurs until Gouffy got injured and Bale showed his magic.

• 45 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM

arsenal have a very good squad….probably third best in the league

they had the 11 they had out last night then vermalen, wilshire, walcott, flamini, podolski, oxlaide-chamberlain, diaby, jenkinson, monreal, gnabry

they are packed with very good players….they just need another option to cover giroud

• 46 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

ian

got to disagree with one point, we were very even against the mackems

51% possession, similar shots on target, neither side created any clear cut chances apart from both of our first goals

it was an even game completely.

• 47 markmac // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Almost forgot about bigi with him not playing much this season,great young player,huge potential…seems a real honest and greatful for what he’s got! unlike some greedy modern day players…

• 48 MiddxNUFC // Nov 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I remember when we finished 5th in the league and HBA was being dropped by Pardew because of his work rate.

When he came back into the side he was tracking back and helping defensively. I’m hoping he doesn’t forget that every time he has a decent run of games, dropping him to sort his head out does neither us or him any favours

• 49 Ian Toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Transfer- he stuck by Ramsey. I am told amidst abuse during games and what a player now. Like all good players he seems to have so much time – Ozil is really bringing the best out of him.

I don’t know whether you ever listen to 606 but after the opening day defeat v Villa the lines were blocked withArsenal fans wanting Wenger out. We don’t want knee jerk reactions at the toon but a £40 million signing-ha ha.

• 50 Ian Toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Transfer – We gifted them a goal early on and having caught up the money was on only won winner! A bad referee decision cost us the game. But I would say that wouldn’t i – catch you later.

• 51 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Ian…Have to say, I missed most of the mackem game, partly through choice. So can’t really comment, other than I would have expected more against the team who was rock bottom of the league with 1 point. But these things do happen.

Let’s see what happens. On the playing side of things, it’s all there and Pardew still has my support.

• 52 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM

gmorning all…

was jesper saying im a lamppost or just drunk? :)

• 53 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Dok…A lamppost? Where has that come from? :)

• 54 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Interesting comments on arsenal and their spending:

Below are tables from:

on clubs in premiership buying and spending:
    pend last 5 Years Purchased Gross

15 Southampton £14,600,000
    16 Cardiff City £12,925,000
    17 Crystal Palace £9,750,000
    18 Stoke City £8,650,000
    19 Hull City £8,250,000
    20 Norwich City £1,100,000

Profit/Loss on transfers in and out

1 Manch City -£476,950,000
    15 Fulham -£10,880,000
    16 Crystal Palace -£9,050,000
    17 Tottenham -£4,600,000
    18 Arsenal +£4,200,000
    19 Everton +£12,315,500
    20 Newcastle +£25,000,000

The “per season” column is the “Nett” total divided by the 5 giving an average of the money spent in transfer fees by each premiership club each season in the last five Seasons.

1 Manch City £95,390,000
    17 Tottenham £920,000
    18 Arsenal -£840,000
    19 Everton -£2,463,100
    20 Newcastle -£5,000,000

• 55 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM

ian

I don’t think it was a bad decision that cost us, a debatable foul but still loads to do from that point which we should have stopped.

And I didn’t think it looked like there would be any winner, we weren’t creating any real goal threat, looked a nailed on draw I though.

And yeh arsenal fans were going crazy with wenger, they are idiots though, he does well considering the lack of top players/settled players he had last year. Now everything has bedded in they look good for the title in my eyes, they are doing very well with a few important players missing.

• 56 Ciaran // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Ibiza

Still reading me as Sheldon Cooper? Well I do see myself as Sheldon too, to quote one of his famous lines,

“[Being stupid]…is no reason to cry. I cry because other people are stupid and that makes me sad”

Adios chaps must dash!

• 57 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Ciaran.. :) Have a good one.

• 58 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM

charlie

It is really good that site, shows how well and bad some sides do.

Arsenal have done well with selling players for a lot of money, never good to lose a player but they get top money for their players and until recently haven’t been putting that back into the first team.

They have spent a lot on the stadium, which is fair enough i suppose, needed to be upgraded in the long term.

• 59 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM

ibiza, just because i think a lampshade is quality headgear doesnt make me.. oh never mind lol…

• 60 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Dok…Oh I see now. Don’t worry, you’re sanity has never been in doubt ;)

• 61 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

thanks ibiza for the kind words… i am a nufc supporter, and that automatically gets you a white jacket with the pretty buckles :)

• 62 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Dok…Too true, I’m somewhat surprised the club shop doesn’t sell black and white striped straight jackets tbh. Would have thought they’d be a big seller.

• 63 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

just noticed spurs match has been moved to sunday at 6am my time…

• 64 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Sage
    i think it puts into perspective on how much clubs spend to
    1) Win the Premiership
    2) to stay in the Premiership

Get a bit peeded off on people complaining about Ashley and his spending/not spending.
    Arsenal, Everton the TOON and the Spuds show if you buy the right players and able to sell on and still have a good team.

I would be more worried if I supported the Mackems spent £153 million Villa £179 million and stoke spent 99 million and only recouped £8 million

• 65 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

notice that MA usually wears one, to keep from reaching for his wallet lol

• 66 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM

charlie

It just goes to show the point i try to make….i don’t care how much our players cost as long as we get good players, good even be all frees.

My concern with the clubs transfer policy is not who we buy but when we buy…I don’t mind the club missing some players as not in price range/what they see as value…but what they need to do in that situation is make sure we aren’t short so either move onto a better priced target or secure a loan signing, even if it’s just a bit if cover.

• 67 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM

charlie,

sometimes it not strictly about spending for spendings sake, but spending on quality and fit… i will say our french signing last winter are starting to gel together, just need consistency now from them all… no reason why we cant get at least a point vs spurs…

• 68 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Charlie…I don’t think for many it’s a question of how much has been spent on transfers, but that he isn’t bringing enough of the right players in at the right time.

If he can do it inexpensively then fair play to the bloke imo.

• 69 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Sage/Dok
    Totally agree I can see us getting at least a point at the spuds BUT depends on which TOON turn up.

Looking at the fixtures got a canny run up to New Year and if we can keep on picking up points and playing attractive football The Arsenal game at SJP 29th Dec should be a CRACKER

• 70 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM

charlie

I think if we play to our best we can match most of teams in the league and better a good few of them.

The trouble with pardew with us has always been consistency, for whatever reason he struggles with it. Want to be sat here at the end of the season saying the man has done a brilliant job with us, but have no idea how this year will pan out.

Would like Ashley to buy him a commanding CB he wants as well as a drogba style forward he wants too (obviously not that quality, but same style).

• 71 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

i know its long, but i found this intersting

Before Tottenham battles Sherrif Tiraspol in the Europa League (live, FOX Sports 1, Thursday, 3:05 p.m. ET), Mousa Dembele suggested last week that one of the reasons Tottenham has struggled to break teams down this season is the size of the pitch at White Hart Lane. Because it’s so small, he said, it makes it easier for opposing teams to pack men behind the ball and look to frustrate Spurs, denying them space to pass through.

The usual high camera angle at White Hart Lane gives the impression to television viewers that White Hart Lane is actually one of the larger grounds in England, but actually Dembele had a point. White Hart Lane measures just 101m by 66m, making it the second smallest pitch in the division. That’s some five metres narrower than Goodison Park, where Spurs played on Sunday. Or, to put it another way, the gaps between defenders in a back four are about a metre greater at Goodison than at White Hart Lane, which clear makes defending easier for Tottenham’s opponents in home games.

But Dembele’s point was undermined by the fact Spurs not only failed to score but even really to threaten at Everton, despite dominating the opening half hour. Spurs had a lot of the ball in that period, but managed just one shot from inside the box, a low Andros Townsend drive from 17 yards that was comfortably saved by Tim Howard. It’s been a problem all season. This is Tottenham’s best ever start to a Premier League campaign and it lies fourth, level on points with second-placed Chelsea. They’ve only conceded five goals all season, the second-best record in the league. But Spurs also have only scored nine goals in 10 games so far, two of them from fortunate penalty decisions; only six sides have a worse goal-scoring record.

Up Next
    0 Concussion wake-up call for Europe?Leander Schaerlaeckens discusses concussions in soccer in the wake of Hugo Lloris’ head injury against Everton.
    Concussion wake-up call for Europe?

Date 11/5/13, Duration 1:30, Views 4471

Video by: FOX Soccer Channel

The strange thing about Spurs’ struggles in front of goal is that they are having more shots per game than any other side. Statistics on whoscored.com show Spurs have 17.5 shots per game, 0.5 more than the next side, Chelsea. Chance creation was always an obsession of the former Norway manager Egil Olsen, who maintained that the side that creates the more chances will win 75% of games. The English theorist Charles Reep found that most sides averaged nine shots per goal, by which logic Spurs should be scoring at a rate of almost two a game: only Arsenal and Manchester City have scored at greater than two goals per game this season.

Not all chances, of course, are equal: it’s easier to score a tap-in from four yards than an overhead kick from 40. Olsen acknowledges that and, for a while, divided chances into three categories: easy, medium and hard. He found, though, that the greater sophistication yielded results almost identical to those produced by counting all chances the same.

There are two possible explanations for the apparent paradox of Tottenham having lots of shots and scoring few goals. One is that they have simply been unlucky and that there will at some point be a reversion to the mean through a couple of big wins. The other is that this is a rare case of a team creating the wrong type of chances. Certainly watching Andros Townsend shooting again and again from range gives one a sense that there is too much that is too speculative. Sure enough, 57% of all Tottenham’s shots are hit from outside the box – a higher proportion than anybody apart from Newcastle – while only 3% are from inside the six-yard box, a lower proportion than everybody apart from Aston Villa.

HEAR US OUT!
    FOX Soccer’s Blog offers unique coverage of the world game. Join us.

The question then is why. In part, perhaps, the likes of Townsend and Paulinho are over-eager, taking on shots from range when a more productive alternative would be to have more patience and wait for team-mates to move into more advantageous positions. But there’s also an issue that Spurs don’t get players forward quickly enough, particularly from central areas.

That was an issue last season as well, that seemed to be solved by the arrival of Dembele, who made surges forward to support the striker – either Jermain Defoe or Emmanuel Adebayor – but he seems to have taken on a more conservative role this season, allowing Paulinho to drive forward. He averaged a goal every four games for Corinthians but has managed just one so far for Spurs despite averaging 3.2 shots per game. It may be, anyway, that Dembele had less impact last season than it appeared and that Spurs’ problems getting men forward were obscured by the form of Gareth Bale: seven times after Christmas he struck in the final quarter of a game to turn a defeat into a draw or a draw into a win.

What Spurs really seem to lack, though, is a true creator, somebody who with a moment of skill or a visionary pass can unlock a defence. Christian Eriksen has offered that, but Andre Villas-Boas seemed to lose patience with the 21 year old for his defensive shortcomings in the 3-0 defeat to West Ham, while Erik Lamela, who has the potential to be that creator, is yet to settle.

Perhaps Paulinho, in time, will start to score the goals he did in Brazil, but at the moment, after years of being dismissed as all style and no substance, Spurs find themselves with a lot of substance but a dearth of style.

• 72 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

it gives me hope for sunday :)

• 73 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

One thing I have noticed this season is when we are confident about a performance we usually play poorly like against Hull & Sunderland.

Yet when we expect nothing against Liverpool & Chelsea we get 4 points.

I sometimes wonder if our players can handle the expectancy of winning ? .

• 74 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM

BPC

something to that to be sure

• 75 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Charlie
    Good post

From what I have seen of spurs erikson has to play, only creative player in central midfield they have. Others are ok technically but don’t have the killer pass.

They also need to play Defoe as soldado is not a good striker, won’t score enough for spurs except from penalty spot.

• 76 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Sorry

That reply was for dok not Charlie

• 77 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

TS ,

well lets hope they dont get it right for sunday :)

• 78 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM

dok

hope so….would love us to come away with three points but one would still be good.

• 79 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM

TS,

think spurs are there for the taking, question is, will we show ambition and take it to them… my one biggest frustration is how we tend to get up a goal, and turtle up… we did it right v chelsea, kept atacking and eventually got that goal late… its all about keeping pressure on, esp if we are ahead…

• 80 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Sage
    Divint worry – We all get things mucking fuddled

• 81 wolfshead@toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

sage

Just my opinion but they have gone backwards since Harry redknapp left. He didn’t have bale as a world class player at the time and still had them 4th two seasons, AVB to me is a boring manager who struggled at Chelsea and spurs to take the clubs forward. plus the bale factor!

• 82 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:37 PM

wolfs

spurs were lazy last year…lots of games they won with a 30+ yard goal from bale…they don’t have it now and struggle to create still.

• 83 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM

wolfs

also under redknapp bale was scoring for fun…they used crouch/van der vaart well…much better than they currently use soldado and sigurdson

• 84 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

meant bale wasn’t scoring for fun under redknapp…they used others not piled everything on one man

• 85 wolfshead@toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM

sage

sorry i didnt see that i tend to speed read on here haha

• 86 Ibizatoon // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 1m

Mathieu Debuchy called into the France squad for World Cup play-off with Ukraine #nufc

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 49s

Sissoko, Cabaye and Remy also called up against Ukraine #nufc #roadtobrazil

• 87 DokToon // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

TS,

funny though, spurs are joint 2nd and 4th overall…. without bale…

• 88 tarie4 // Nov 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM

on spurs..whats happened to their 30 mill club record signing?? sign him.play one game..was god awful..is he injured?

• 89 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM

dok

oh i know, not that they have played badly…i just find them dull to watch, not enough goals at all in their games.

I just think they were more exciting under redknapp.

Have to see how the season pans out but he needs to get top 4 seeing as redknapp was sacked for 4th

• 90 JackButler // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

For a side thats not scoring that many, Spurs are still fourth, maybe not playing the free flowing football that they did last season but are a seriously hard side to break down

• 91 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

jack

they weren’t free flowing last year either…relied on bale.

not been playing well as a team since AVB came in, just my view like.

• 92 JackButler // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Transfer Sage

With Bale in their side they did play some very good, fast, attacking football, although they were reliant on the lad too much. they will be a hard side to break down

• 93 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

jack

Obviously they played some good football, sorry i wasn’t clear with it, they were worse than under redknapp. He had bale and lennon flying down both wings and then had van der vaart scoring and looking good too.

I think a lot of the players avb signed are too similar and they haven’t brought in a genuine goal sorer either upfront or midfield.

• 94 Mister Tuff // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Ian Toon – you mentioned earlier you are going to the Spurs game in London. Very good I hope you have a decent weekend.
    I anticipate you will post an analysis/summary of the game in due course. Your last summary for the Chelsea game was a very decent effort as by and large you missed out your usual “agenda” tosh and your habitual sycophantic grovelings. Toadying up to fellow bloggers is not really necessary. You surely would want to avoid being called Mr Toad. Also please do not include in your piece any tall stories about meeting Spurs fans in the pub who think Percy is the best manager in the league -we won’t believe you. Upon posting your report I’ll give it the once over and update you if your writings are improving or not. No need to thank me – consider it a service.

• 95 JackButler // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Transfer Sage

Agree that they looked a better, more rounded side under Redknapp, but with the amount of new players they’ve brought in they were all going to need time to settle.

Some of the players they’ve brought in are questionable but the I think Soldado will come good

• 96 JackButler // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Mister Tuff @94

Thanks for making me laugh on what has been a pretty shi**y day :D

• 97 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

jack

but even last season without many new players i still think they didn’t look as good as under redknapp.

no idea on lamela but from the bits i’ve seen i don’t see what made them spend 30mil on him

then on soldado…think he is a decent player, just not enough of a goal threat to play as a long striker

• 98 kt97toonarmy // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Afternoon lads

We linked with any decent centre forwards cause we need a striker desperately. A spare right back nd a centre back for cover.i no we won’t sign 3 plus players we might not even sign anyone but I hope remy signs permanent he’s pure quality. As for this article I think he needs to go out on loan. Loads of potential tho. I still remember his goal last season. What a goal.

• 99 JackButler // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Transfer Sage

They were always gonna look better under Redknapp as he plays free-flowing, open football like Keegan did with us and AVB is more reserved and defensive in his approach so they simply don’t look as exciting, but they are still putting points on the table.

Some of the lads they’ve bought are over priced imo and for what they’ve spent they are still not gonna be title contender’s as City, Arsenal Chelsea and possibly Liverpool will all finish above them

• 100 Mister Tuff // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

JB – no need to thank me consider it a service. OOps I’ve just written that bit.
    Glad you liked it – and as you suggest – not really- any new stuff to discuss -bit dull at the moment.

• 101 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

jack

True, AVB is much more defensive, i think we have definitely been condition to need attacking football with keegan and robson both doing that with us.

They do need to get champs league to match redknapps achievements though….will be a good fight for everything in the league this year, good battles from top to bottom…only palace look down and out.

I always laughed at the media saying they did well to delay the bale sale until they signed players so it didn’t force prices up…as if selling clubs didn’t know they would, at some point, have the 80mil in their bank….always going to push prices up as soon as the rumours began.

• 102 JackButler // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Transfer Sage

Thats why I love Wenger so much, as the football he’s served up is amazing when you take into account the money he has spent there, I don’t believe that there is another manager in the league, maybe even in the world that could get a side playing the way they do with the amount that he’s spent and be able to do it consistently. All the other tops clubs have spent hundreds of millions year after year and they have never lost touch with them, they may not have been winning trophies but they are a side everyone enjoys watching.

With Ozil’s arrival they seem to have found that missing piece and I hope they win the title this year as it would be great for football

• 103 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Don’t forget Redknapp had Modric as well. He is one of the most underrated players in the world IMO.

Also why AVB isn’t playing Eriksen is beyond me. The guy is brilliant and they got him for a bargain price as well.

• 104 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

jack

klopp is doing it at dortmund too…they are brilliant to watch. they spend a bit but its all money they make from sales or club revenue…not crazy investment from a billionaire.

I do have a soft spot for arsenal, they play very technical football but they play it at a pace barca don’t, they are so much more exciting to watch.

Also it’s impressive how they bring kids through and mix them with foreign players who often have come from lesser leagues/teams and they develop their game at arsenal too.

I thnik very few players leave worse than when they arrive, the whole set up is geared to development.

I think wenger will be there for a long long time too.

• 105 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM

@ sage

I agree m8 Arsenal & Dortmund play the best football to watch in world football. I would say Bayern as well but Heynckes had them playing at a faster pace and it wasn’t all about possession like with Guardiola .

Plus they sold Gomez who is better than Mandzukic IMO and they play the best RB in the world as a DM .

I worry for Dortmund losing Lewandowski as I am not sure PEA can fill his boots. Shame like because at one point Dortmund had this team :

———-Gundogan——–Bender————–

——–Reus———Gotze——–Kagawa——

——————-Lewandowski——————-

Dissapointing that team never got a few years together :( . Champions league winning material

• 106 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Also Gundogan is one of my favourite players in the world at the moment.

• 107 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM

big pappa

they still have some unreal players in that team though, they have a brilliant set of players

they always replace very well so no doubt they’ll replace lewondowksi this summer

• 108 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

big pappa

from the one game i;ve seen bayern, against man city this year they play more direct than barca…hope they dont go to full on tika taka as it’s dull, like the opposite of sam allerdyce…need the middle ground

• 109 Transfer Sage // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

what sums up arsenal was the wishire goal this season, those quick, decisive, skillful passes resulting in a goal was amazing and best of the season

• 110 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM

@ Sage

Yeah their scouts must know their stuff. Gotze’s replacement Mykhitarian looks a real player as well.

• 111 Peter Reid Monkey Heed // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Big Pappa Cisse,

Although that team is good i’m not sure if Kagawa and Reus had the chance to play together at Dortmund?

Did Kawaga not join Manchester the same summer Reus returned to Dortmund? Maybe a month or so before

• 112 cyprus // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Cisse, dude,

Do you read this site to kill time. This one’s for you:

“I’ve always felt comfortable but in football there are lows. I’m the same player I’ve always been. There are things that happen in football, you always have to think in a positive manner and, yesterday, I was happy and I’m happy today – I’m always the same. Always happy.”

Eto Apostrophe O.

• 113 John Tudor // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM

happy clappy chappie

• 114 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM

@ reid

Yeah I think it was the same window. I just think it is a shame they couldn’t keep them all together with Kagawa going to Man U, Gotze going to Munich and by the looks of things Lewandowski as well .

• 115 Ian Toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Mr Tuff- There was a time when I valued your opinion. But that was before………….!

• 116 Mister Tuff // Nov 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Ian Toon -but that was before…………………
    Spit it out man -you can do it. I’ll be able to take any criticism. I have bwoad shoulders. Come on man -be a bwave warrior.
    A free review for the purpose of improving literary ability/style is nothing to be sniffed at.

• 117 wolfshead@toon // Nov 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

toon

tuff hasnt sent you a post in an ali g stylee has he? lol

• 118 Mister Tuff // Nov 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

wolfshead (or perhaps it is now “cringing running dog”)
    Excellent memory -I do believe my Ali G style post to you was a classic – caught you out if my memory serves me correctly. how about an update as to what’s happening in your area. Or perhaps I should phrase it as :-
    Yo homie waz happn in da hood.

• 119 Shadow_Shearer // Nov 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Send my boy Biri to scotland on loan. Look what happened to Paul Dummet after St Mirren, he improved so much as a player we can’t stop admiring him. I believe Stuart McColl at Motherwell was asking Pardew for players after the first game of pre-season, after he was impressed with our youngsters. I love Bigis attitude, but he doesn’t deserve to rot away in reserves. That will be us saved ourself another top signing. All we need after that is 1 big target man up front, and possibly a big strong central defender if Coloccini leaves end of season.

Feeling confident ahead of the tottenham game, play the same 4-4-2 starting off with Remy and Ameobi upfront, 2nd half take shola off, and bring on Ben Arfa. Him and remy are guarentted a goal or two.

previous post: This Player A Great Example At Newcastle