Newcastle In Better Shape Than We’ve Been Given Credit For

In his press conference today an upbeat Alan Pardew fielded questions from the local press,  and it seems the manager is hoping for some good results in the next three games,   and if we can do well against Tottenham away, and then Norwich and West Brom at home then we should be in a decent place in the Premier League, and above our current 9th place.

alan pardew man city home

Alan Pardew upbeat and confident

Alan fielded many questions and he pointed out Newcastle are in a good position right now, with a lot of our players in good form and top players like Hatem Ben Arfa and Papiss Cisse not being able to make the starting line-up at the moment.

This is some of what Alan had to say in his press conference today:

“There are a lot of clubs who would envy our position as we sit here today, and we have to always think that our glass is half-full rather than half-empty, which I think sometimes we do up here.”  “I think we are in better shape that we have been given credit for.”

“But this week, I have seen a lot more positive press about our players, who have been terrific. We have had some great performances.” “This is the end of a difficult period, in my view, of games for us because then we have got two home games, and it could put us in a great position if we get a win against Spurs, or a draw even, so it’s an important game for our league position.”

“Again, we are going up against a very accomplished manager and a very, very strong team at a venue where we haven’t had good results, so therefore it’s something we want to put right.”  “They will be hoping for a similar reward from their guys.”

“It’s early days at the moment, but it’s so far, so good for them.”

It’s interesting that Alan even reads some of the reports that are put out these days, given some of the criticism he gets, but he must read them and has read a little of the euphoria over just how well our lads played against Chelsea, and make no mistake the team were simply fantastic in that second half.

Of course in the past Newcastle usually follow a very good performance with a poor performance in the next game.

So that’s the challenge, but if we can put in a good performance again at White Hart Lane on Sunday, then Geordie spirits will continue to rise.

And in case it’s not clear – that’s definitely what we want to see. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

• Our Toon

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I’m quite skeptical of these Dutch strikers, Ricky Van Wolf hasn’t exactly set the league on fire and neither has Bony, I remember Alves at boro wasn’t great although the records of the players have been unbelievable in Dutch league, doesn’t surprise me that Luuk has struggled in German league, big step up from where he was playing

• Ted Bundy

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Sneak a win against Spuds and we’re sitting pretty, but then we’ll all get puffed up and think we’re gonna sweep aside our next 2 opponents at home, until they inevitably ‘upset’ us – such is the life of a Newcastle fan 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I think we had Spurs for the taking last season down there, if it wasn’t for Bale’s two strikes Gouffran would have surely been man of the match, it was a cruel injury which completey knocked us out of our stride, the 5-0 the previous season was Mike Ashleys fault.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

wolfshead – previous thread.
    brother wolfshead – I thought you may have missed my “St James” update. Clearly not required by those bloggers, including myself, who observe the “good book”, but really designed to inform non believers of the teachings of the Lord including the Blind Faith Brigade (also known as the Legion of Dishonour). Your mischievous suggestion that I rely on bible.com is below the belt. Before you appeared on the blog in my guise as Reverend Tuff – I had focused my attention on that famous lost sheep Ian Toon. I tried to lead him back to the fold, showed him the road to Damascus but all to no avail. He follows the word of the false prophets of the Temple -a lost cause.
    Anyway – you stated one of the lost sheeps’ posts was funny -come on man don’t encourage him. He might do more posts. I thought my Zebedee gag was much more impressive.

• Wayayman

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

For the first time this season, I’m really looking forward to an away game. Jinxed it now, havent I?
    Spurs are not the same team without Bale and it’s taking them time to adjust to the changes and the new players.

Mind you, anyone else feel that teams playing badly or players on a poor run always seem to end their drought against us?

• Our Toon

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I’m starting to think that I’m the only worried about what Spurs have to offer on Sunday, seems like most fans claim they are weaker without Bale, I think they are stronger….they have bought really well, formation has changed this season though and that’s what is taking a while for them to get used to, if they move the ball quicker they’ll be really good. Don’t take spurs lightly, 5pts away from Arsenal who only just beat them but certainly didn’t outplay them at emirates.