Second Half Was The Best I’ve Played This Season

Moussa Sissoko was one of the players who came alive in the second half against Chelsea on Saturday, when Newcastle surprised everybody and came on very strong to beat Chelsea 2-0 with two good goals in the second half, and get the team a great win at St. James’ Park.

moussa sissoko pointing

Moussa Sissoko – great second half last Saturday

Moussa Sissoko was playing wide on the left in that game, and made some of those terrific surging runs of his, and it’s probably the best Newcastle have  played all season, and we looked a very good side.

As it turns out, after the hard slog the previous Wednesday night against Manchester City in the Capital One Cup that went to extra time, the strategy was to contain Chelsea in the first half,  and then to go for it in the second half.

And with a little bit of fortune that’s what our lads did, and it was simply a terrific performance in front of a home crowd of just less than 52,000.

This is what Moussa told the local press today:

“The manager decides if I play central midfield or left side.” “For me, the important thing is that you play and help the team.”

“I think the second half was the best I’ve played this season.” “The most important thing is that the team played well together, and won the game.”

“I’m very happy. Chelsea are a big team, and they play Champions League every time.” “I know they are a good team, but we played well, and we played hard.”

“In the second half, we were very strong and together.” “The manager said to play hard in the second half. We pressed all the time.”  “I think all the players played very well.”

“When we play together, it’s easier.” “If we work hard every week, I think when the season finishes Newcastle could be in the top seven or eight.”

Sissoko has been included in the France squad for their important two game World Cup qualifying  playoff tie against Ukraine, and it’s not exactly clear what his best position is on the field, as he used to play central midfield when he was at Toulouse.

Our next game is at Tottenham on Sunday, and we hope to see some consistency from the team, and if we can get that then Newcastle should have a decent chance in the game.

A draw would be a  good result for us, and a win would be fantastic.

What do you think?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Real Madrid in discussions to rename the Bernabeu

look at Ashley being a trailblazer for the big clubs!

• Transfer Sage

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM

lilongwe

I bet their fans take it lying down…haha

• cyprus

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Sorry, repost:

Scout,
    Woke up smelled the coffee, mate! Fergie couldn’t get us top 4? His current team isn’t exactly flying and he got them… first! Don’t give him ideas.
    I’m one of the people here who wants us in the Top 4! We almost did it with a poorer team and a decade (or so!) ago we were ‘it’!
    We outplayed the future PL winners, did well against City, took on (top 4?) Liverpool with 10 men!
    Dude, aim high, talk big. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that.
    AP remark about ‘educating the fans’ regarding mediocrity was an unfortunate one. If we aim mid-table we could easily end up in a relegation heap with a couple of bad results.

51cyprus // Nov 8, 2013 at 7:17 AM

So, it goes without saying, I want nothing more than a win Vs. Spurs!! Which means, I’d play for a win. That is a team which has scraped 1-0 through pens and hardly ever scores. Could we lose – bad? Of course! We are NUFC. But, we must still always set up and aim for a win. We are NUFC.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM

“But not all stadium renaming deals have been successful. When Newcastle United changed the name of their ground from St James’ Park to the Sports Direct Arena in November 2011, the local council refused to use the new name on official street signs.

At the time, the council said the decision to change the name would “upset the overwhelming majority of fans”.”

Naughty naughty Newcastle council 😉

Lil…An interesting one. Spain as a whole are in huge financial trouble. Couldn’t see any figures in that article, any idea what they believe the value of the Bernabeu to be?

• cyprus

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM

So Lil,
    The big teams don’t really mind too much but we were ready to revolt for the sake of tradition! Do we even know who St. James was? I’d trade our name for success, no prob.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Cyrpus…Good morning. I get a lot of what you’re saying, I just feel that you may be missing the point.

1) Our expectations are managed for a reason. That reason emanates from the very top imo and this is our biggest issue at the club.
    2) I don’t believe for a single second anymore that the name change was to benefit the club financially.

I just feel it’s all based on what can be argued as” reasonable” in an ever changing world, but the actual reasoning behind it is, shall we say, less honourable?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Ibiza,
    No, not seen any figures, just noticed the story this morning. I’d imagine we are talking a lot more than SJP would have got.

Changing it to Sports Direct was to showcase the possibilities. I said at the time, if it is just to showcase what a company would be able to do it would have met with less resistance if they had showcased it by calling it the ‘Sir Booby Robson Foundation Stadium’. But then that wouldn’t have got SD all those column inches and brand awareness would it….

Cyprus,
    I don’t know, I’d imagine their fans won’t be too pleased about changing the name, but as with just about anything in football, if you win trophies and have a successful side all the bad off field decisions are a lot more palatable.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

cyprus @5 – I believe the St James you mentioned is James -one of Jesus’ Apostles. There are numerous other persons of the same name throughout history. This James was the brother of John and the son of Zebedee.
    (Wolfshead – it is not Zebedee from the Magic Roundabout -but a biblical character).

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Cyprus
    I think you’ll probably find if Real Madrid rename there stadium a astronomical sponsorship deal will be involved
    Not “were just going to call it this as an example because simply telling sponsors they can buy the naming rights won’t work, we’ll do the same with advertising boards as well while were at it”

Completley different scenario’s

• cyprus

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Ibiza,
    I can’t disagree with both your points, believe it or not! Both your points ring true.

Still, on expectations, if you close your eyes when we play at Morecambe’s level (or below!) and open them (only) when we play well, we sure look like world beaters!

• Malta Mag

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I can not understand some of the negative comments that have been logged on this site about Sissoko. Potentially he is the best buy we’ve made for years. Finding his best position seems to be the big dilemma but it seems wide right may be the answer? Problem is what becomes of Hatem Ben Arfa? I also hope Pardew sticks with M’Biwa because unlike many on here I think he too is class and should be the automatic choice with the other three fighting for a place alongside him.

• bishopblaize

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Our renaming was never a fixture, only a Publicity stunt that went in a lot of favours (the Club, the Town and of course Ashley soon became a Billionaire that same year)
    For a business man and club owner he must be lapping it up.
    The ONLY difference between this sector is that a Collection of Supporters/Fans reject his every move Even when we Winning! LoL

When you look at other clubs inconsistant forms then we have a pretty much guaranteed 7th Place Finish .. If we can chip away at anything above that; then we back to happy daze!!
    However .. What Mike Ashley has had to learn about is how to compete at the Top without investing stupid monies that may actually never work anyway.
    There only a limited amount of Silverware for the take .. Only one shot for the Title and many many teams heavily investing towards taking them (does it work for them all?)
    We gonna be UP there again .. And I can’t wait